Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would you bring in at QB during the offseason, and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post

But the good part is,, he can't get any worse???? Maybe he can show improvement next year?? So, hopefully we draft a decent young QB And sign a quality vet.

How much better do you think he'll get realistically? He's 31st right now so in terms of ranking qbs how much does he jump from that number? To me i think right around 10 spots and that still isn't very good. My 10 spots is generous I think he goes from 31 to 23 or so. If your qb is ranked that low a lot of bounces have to go your way to win football games.

Lock could be serviceable if we had the top ranked defense and a dominant run game but we have neither. Now thats not Locks fault that we aren't good in other areas but thats exactly why we need a better qb to help elevate and mask some of our deficiencies. We are almost asking Lock to play turnover free football and thats not something he can do consistently.

Basically we have to play well in other areas to help mask Locks deficiencies and when we are doing that as a team well we got it backwards. He only plays the most important position on the team. I've got nothing against Lock personally. I look at him mainly between the lines and he has red flags. More than I would like at this stage. So I'm in the camp where you have to improve that position if you can.
    :go:

Comment

• Ideally, for me we bring in a proven veteran who can in games now. I am just sick and tired of losing year in and year out. However, I think the probability of us bringing in a high caliber player at this position is low. But, here is my breakdown

High Caliber Starter:
      Deshaun Watson - low probability but wow what a huge move this would be
      Matt Stafford - Possibility but hard to say he goes anywhere
      Carson Wentz - I think he is a proven starter and would be an improvement
      Dak Prescott - Guy is a very good player

A Legit Challenger for the job:
      Tyrod Taylor - Look I know he has bounced around this league, but this guy is a professional and his work ethic and leadership is top notch. If nothing else he would be great for this team
      Bortles: He has some talent, and maybe it's just not tapped yet. Would like to see and he knows this offense
      Fitzpatrick: Dude is up there but he can sling the ball around and this offense is all about that
      Trubisky: I mean he has been better than Lock

Maybe a Challenger:
      Brandon Allen: Well he has had some success in the league
      Andy Dalton: A proven vet who could push the young guy
      Cam Newton: Don't like the guy, but he has things you cannot teach
      James Winston: Not sure I could stand more interceptions, but whatever at this stage
      Josh Rosen: Wow this guy has fallen big time. Never really had a shot anywhere

Wanting to win does not make you a winner. Refusing to fail does.

Comment

• Originally posted by MileHigh Salute View Post
        Ideally, for me we bring in a proven veteran who can in games now. I am just sick and tired of losing year in and year out. However, I think the probability of us bringing in a high caliber player at this position is low. But, here is my breakdown

High Caliber Starter:
        Deshaun Watson - low probability but wow what a huge move this would be
        Matt Stafford - Possibility but hard to say he goes anywhere
        Carson Wentz - I think he is a proven starter and would be an improvement
        Dak Prescott - Guy is a very good player

A Legit Challenger for the job:
        Tyrod Taylor - Look I know he has bounced around this league, but this guy is a professional and his work ethic and leadership is top notch. If nothing else he would be great for this team
        Bortles: He has some talent, and maybe it's just not tapped yet. Would like to see and he knows this offense
        Fitzpatrick: Dude is up there but he can sling the ball around and this offense is all about that
        Trubisky: I mean he has been better than Lock

Maybe a Challenger:
        Brandon Allen: Well he has had some success in the league
        Andy Dalton: A proven vet who could push the young guy
        Cam Newton: Don't like the guy, but he has things you cannot teach
        James Winston: Not sure I could stand more interceptions, but whatever at this stage
        Josh Rosen: Wow this guy has fallen big time. Never really had a shot anywhere
        What we need more than anything in a QB is one that makes everyone work that little bit harder. We can just look at what Tom Brady is doing with the Bucks that like Denver is a team with a lot of talent that is not realised, and he comes in with an attitude that winning games is not what matters and that people better be on board with the studying and the pain it takes to get better and better during the season. This is something that he also did in NE where they had several seasons that started slow - unlike the Broncos who usually fade down the stretch.

Manning tought that things on offense needed perfected and that was amazing to see, but it was a change in culture from the much uglier Tebow ball but the interaction - hugging, chest bumping with the defense was a lot more animated, and it is one of the things he had in common with Elway.

Along with talent we need a QB that get everyone to work harder and longer none of the listed high caliper starters seem to fit that. We don't actually know what a player like Wentz is because he was an MVP front runner in early regular season, but it would be silly to just assume that he would have delivered like Foles in the playoffs. Trubisky seems to have untapped potential and James Winston seems like he could be a Jake Plummer like reclamation project, but it seems like shooting a lot of blanks.

An Alex Smith could be great for a brief while but there is not a lot of long term potential there, but he has one of the highest win rates since 2012

Comment

• Orlando Franklin on The Fan is making a strong case for going after Deshaun Watson. Man, that would be amazing if we grabbed him.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoSynapses View Post
            Orlando Franklin on The Fan is making a strong case for going after Deshaun Watson. Man, that would be amazing if we grabbed him.
            The problem is this right here. Everyone else under the Sun is also trying to get D. Watson from the Texans however with their New GM I highly doubt they will even Trade Watson ever so yeah just another one of favorite fan pipe dreams. Not Going To Happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post

The problem is this right here. Everyone else under the Sun is also trying to get D. Watson from the Texans however with their New GM I highly doubt they will even Trade Watson ever so yeah just another one of favorite fan pipe dreams. Not Going To Happen.
              They may not have a choice if he chooses to sit out but to trade him. I doubt Denver has enough capital to land Watson, but Paton needs to at least inquire.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoSynapses View Post
                Orlando Franklin on The Fan is making a strong case for going after Deshaun Watson. Man, that would be amazing if we grabbed him.
                Rumors are we're one of the teams in talks for Watson, with a bunch of other teams I'm sure.

The Jets can offer the #2 plus Darnold and Miami has the #3 and Tua, just for starters. We start at #9 and Lock. We probably need to at least add an extra first just to be even with those two teams.

It may take us 3 first rounders, Lock and a choice of any player on our roster to get a deal done for Watson. I'd hate having to be Paton and have his first deal ever here potentially being the biggest in franchise history from a value given up POV. The guy's been here a week. LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by lvbronx View Post

Rumors are we're one of the teams in talks for Watson, with a bunch of other teams I'm sure.

The Jets can offer the #2 plus Darnold and Miami has the #3 and Tua, just for starters. We start at #9 and Lock. We probably need to at least add an extra first just to be even with those two teams.

It may take us 3 first rounders, Lock and a choice of any player on our roster to get a deal done for Watson. I'd hate having to be Paton and have his first deal ever here potentially being the biggest in franchise history from a value given up POV. The guy's been here a week. LOL
                  I think we can offer more value wise than those teams. It’ll just come at the expense of blue chip players vs draft picks. There’s not much difference between Darnold, Tua, and Lock imo. Tua is a bit of a wild card but he wasn’t that impressive in his starts. Neither of those teams really have any other players they can give up that can stack up to what we can. Maybe Baker from the Dolphins but MLB isn’t a need for the Texans right now or Wilkins but that wouldn’t be hard to top. The Jets could probably just sell the farm and throw in Becton/Williams but Watson already has no reason to want to go there.

Comment

• Watson has a no trade clause.

Why would he choose Denver over Miami or the Jets?

He’s already let it be known that he wants to go to Miami.

If the Texans are smart, they’ll dare Watson to holdout.

This isn’t the NBA. He loses money if he doesn’t play.

Either force him to waive the no trade clause or tell him he either stays or doesn’t play for anyone until they get what they want.
                    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                    You Mad Bro?
                    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                      Watson has a no trade clause.

Why would he choose Denver over Miami or the Jets?

He’s already let it be known that he wants to go to Miami.

If the Texans are smart, they’ll dare Watson to holdout.

This isn’t the NBA. He loses money if he doesn’t play.

Either force him to waive the no trade clause or tell him he either stays or doesn’t play for anyone until they get what they want.
                      The Dolphins WRs averaged the least amount of separation of any group in the NFL. Our offense is in a much better place than the Dolphins. The only thing they have is culture (which is fickle) and no state tax. Watson could just retire and not lose any money and the Texans would still have to pay him what they guaranteed. Denver can outdo any offer Miami can come up with and still be in a good spot. Watson makes us a Super Bowl contender for the next decade, there’s absolutely no reason not to make the trade.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

The Dolphins WRs averaged the least amount of separation of any group in the NFL. Our offense is in a much better place than the Dolphins. The only thing they have is culture (which is fickle) and no state tax. Watson could just retire and not lose any money and the Texans would still have to pay him what they guaranteed. Denver can outdo any offer Miami can come up with and still be in a good spot. Watson makes us a Super Bowl contender for the next decade, there’s absolutely no reason not to make the trade.
                        Exactly, and likely if Paton makes a call to Houston and Houston tells him talk to Watson, I'd imagine Watson would make it clear how he sees Watson and the ability to elevate the Broncos to being contenders.
                        sigpic
                        Adopted Broncos:
                        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• Offer them Lock, Miller, and a crap ton of picks. While I’m willing to give Lock another year, Watson immediately makes us a playoff team and a team that can contend with the Chiefs for years to come.
                          sigpic
                          2012 Broncos Country Pick 'Em Challenge Champion

Comment

• Though I've remarked about this in other threads, I am completely behind any move to acquire Deshaun Watson. There comes a point where you pay too much, but if there's even a slither of possibility, we should make it clear that we want this guy, and will pay handsomely to get a deal done. A combination of players and picks might make it happen.

If handled with vision and excellent understanding of value, this could lift our team to a new plateau, instantly, and allow our new GM to show off his personnel expertise, by filling any gaps afterward, and strategize our next steps to solidify all parts of our game.

Comment

• I have thought quite a bit about this and confess that I wanted Watson in the 2017 draft. I think he alone would elevate this team to a playoff contender.

I also have to admit that this franchise is not what it used to be. The ownership situation is sketchy. The turnover in coaches and homegrown players has left a stain. It saddens me to think that players would rather go to historically bad teams over the Broncos.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                                Though I've remarked about this in other threads, I am completely behind any move to acquire Deshaun Watson. There comes a point where you pay too much, but if there's even a slither of possibility, we should make it clear that we want this guy, and will pay handsomely to get a deal done. A combination of players and picks might make it happen.

If handled with vision and excellent understanding of value, this could lift our team to a new plateau, instantly, and allow our new GM to show off his personnel expertise, by filling any gaps afterward, and strategize our next steps to solidify all parts of our game.
                                If you wanna win you make those kind of moves. As a Tigers fan I know what it's like to go from bad to good overnight, because one day the GM said screw it, we're gonna aggressively go after players and try to win games. And for a stretch of time the Tigers were a world series favorite every season...though they never won it during that time.
                                In 2012 the Tigers signed Prince Fielder, partnering him with Miguel Cabrera. That year the team also traded for an ace caliber at the time pitcher in Anibal Sanchez. After sweeping the Yankees, they got swept by the Giants.
                                The following offseason they signed Torii Hunter. 2014 they signed Joba Chamberlain, Joe Nathan, and also traded for David Price.

From 2012 throu 2014 they were favorites. They aggressively went for and in the end it didn't end with a title. But a small market team like the Tigers and the fanbase enjoyed that success after being so bad for soooo long.

My point is going after players like Watson puts you in position to be good for years, even if it ends with 1 championship appearance, being a contender for a period of time is good, and the picks given up won't hurt much if you drafting between 28-32.
                                sigpic
                                Adopted Broncos:
                                EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Working...
                                X