Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would you bring in at QB during the offseason, and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capt. Jack
    replied
    How are we fitting Watson in and stay under the salary cap? I think he is close to 39 mill? Stafford is around 21 mill, I think? Either way we would probably have to trade or cut Von to be able to pay either one of these guys?
    ​​​​

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post

You're equating Watson to Manning? Based on what? Neither Watson or Stafford have proven themselves to be anywhere near Manning's performance. Not even close. Will they get there? Based on what Shurmur's done, unless he does something different than he has, don't expect much improvement. I'm just hoping the Broncos don't overspend for either. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Considering where the Broncos are and their behavior under Elway, I see yet another last-gasp attempt at success.
    Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post

Idt he's comparing them to Manning. I think he's comparing the situations. If Watson were to talk to Manning, you'd have to think that Manning would remember how he had his best statistical year with the Broncos, and then had the defense carry him to a Lombardi two years later. I don't think it's going to happen, but I think it's a good point worth mentioning.
    Just like me, I doubt either of us are comparing the players....rather the situation. Two star QBs potentially available to us. And two star players that you can build a winning, maybe championship team around. Manning is a HoFamer and deservedly, but even he was a significant risk when we courted him. One more hit was a concern. Even how his arm/hand was to react to cold weather. If anything Watson comes here with high level athleticism and high level production. And he was one game from last year's SB.

Stafford, in my opinion is a solid QB over the years, and has had a good career. He could help teams on the edge get over a threshold, perhaps even win the big one with a quality team as is.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by TH3JUICEMAN View Post
    The Broncos can make a good sales pitch to Watson, look no further than what they did with Manning and building a team around him.

I fell pretty confident that either Watson or Stafford will be a Bronco (leaning towards Stafford).
    I can live with this. Yeah, acquiring Manning took a great sales pitch, and it worked. If we have any interest, and I sure hope we do, maybe Elway can get his salesman side to work again, along with Paton. I would be ok with Stafford, but I would be pumped like I was back then, if we acquired Watson, easily one of the best young guns in football.

Leave a comment:

• DiveInstructor
    replied

I re-read my post and still can’t find where I compared Manning to Watson

Here:
    The Broncos can make a good sales pitch to Watson, look no further than what they did with Manning and building a team around him.
    First, the staff who built that team, including the coaches, are pretty much all gone except for Elway, who supposedly has given up most of his GM duties. Second, it took Manning's QB abilities to help make that offense look that good. It wasn't just who was on the team. Last, that reads like if you build a team around Watson like you did Manning, you will achieve success. Again, Watson is nowhere near the level of QB Manning was when Manning signed.

Just the way I read it.

Leave a comment:

• DiveInstructor
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoSynapses View Post

True, niether are Manning’s caliber. But they’re among the top QBs in the league. We have ranked 33rd? If that’s correct, that is pretty sad given there are only 32 teams. That means a backup player better than our starter.

When was last time we drafted a solid QB? Do you think that’s something that will happen in the next 2 years? That we draft someone who can compete with Mahomes?

I’d rather take our chances with a proven commodity.
    I would too, but only if the situation was different. There's an imminent ownership change coming very soon, and nobody knows what that will look like. The Broncos maintain a dysfunctional management structure. Both a GM and a head coach reporting to Elway? Are we to take that as 3 people in charge? Nuts. A rookie GM that, I guess if he's smart, will try to make a big splash this year in hopes of keeping his job through the ownership transition. A head coach possibly on his last year, which means no patience of developing a team.

I'm afraid they'll overspend if they get a shot at one of these two guys. Neither of them have performed well under a broken environment, and, hate to say it, that's what the Broncos are. Throw in an OC that, by the numbers, has done nothing spectacular in improving QB play. Will they sell the future for a QB like Watson which they may never take advantage of? This is one reason why I keep blowing the horn for taking a shot early in this next draft on a QB. It's an uncertainty, but at least it won't cost the team much and leave a dumpster fire should new owner(s) decide to scrap this group.

Leave a comment:

• TH3JUICEMAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post

Idt he's comparing them to Manning. I think he's comparing the situations. If Watson were to talk to Manning, you'd have to think that Manning would remember how he had his best statistical year with the Broncos, and then had the defense carry him to a Lombardi two years later. I don't think it's going to happen, but I think it's a good point worth mentioning.
    I re-read my post and still can’t find where I compared Manning to Watson

you’re right, the sales pitch would be on the “situation”. I can’t think of many elite QB’s switching teams and winning a Lombardi. Maybe Brady this year, but before that?

Leave a comment:

• BroncoSynapses
    replied

You're equating Watson to Manning? Based on what? Neither Watson or Stafford have proven themselves to be anywhere near Manning's performance. Not even close. Will they get there? Based on what Shurmur's done, unless he does something different than he has, don't expect much improvement. I'm just hoping the Broncos don't overspend for either. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Considering where the Broncos are and their behavior under Elway, I see yet another last-gasp attempt at success.
    True, niether are Manning’s caliber. But they’re among the top QBs in the league. We have ranked 33rd? If that’s correct, that is pretty sad given there are only 32 teams. That means a backup player better than our starter.

When was last time we drafted a solid QB? Do you think that’s something that will happen in the next 2 years? That we draft someone who can compete with Mahomes?

I’d rather take our chances with a proven commodity.

Leave a comment:

• Spice 1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DiveInstructor
    replied

I fell pretty confident that either Watson or Stafford will be a Bronco (leaning towards Stafford).

Leave a comment:

• TH3JUICEMAN
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BroncoSynapses
    replied
    Originally posted by broncolee View Post
    Kermit still runs the division!!!!

Anyone who thinks Watson is running things with the trade should have zero faith that he will choose Denver.
    It is a long shot but so was the Manning sweepstakes. Maybe we can strike gold twice? It seems the only way this front office can get a QB are in scenarios like this. Maybe Matthew Stanford. But I’d prefer Watson.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    Kermit still runs the division!!!!

Anyone who thinks Watson is running things with the trade should have zero faith that he will choose Denver.

Leave a comment:

• Gsam
    replied
    oy Renck

@TroyRenck
    ·
    13m
    It is real now. Watson’s issues trace to ownership, not the new coach and GM. And remember Watson has a complete no-trade clause so he can steer where he goes.

Oh man, let’s trade Elway, and Joe Ellis for D Watson!
    They need to get this done. Denver is an ideal place. We have pissed away so many assets between Brock, Lynch, Lock, etc.... Just bite the bullet and pay for the guy who is gonna QB for you for the next 10-15 years.

Denver is very appealing. Tons of weapons on offense - Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler, Patrick, Fant Lindsay, and some good young O line. Left tackle is locked up and solidified. Defense still has a lot of talent. Denver is just missing the engine right now to drive it.

That being said, i am not 100% out on lock. I don't believe the kid got a fair shake so far. Started midway through the season two years ago fresh off bench. didn't get an offseason yet to gel with his talent cause of covid. He could still develop.

I would offer Houston Lock, Patrick 1st This year and 1st Next year.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    oy Renck

@TroyRenck
    ·
    13m
    It is real now. Watson’s issues trace to ownership, not the new coach and GM. And remember Watson has a complete no-trade clause so he can steer where he goes.

Watson doesn’t have leverage unless the Texans give it to him.

The team has all the leverage.

They don’t have to trade him at all.

Besides, why would he want to be in the same division as Kermit?

Leave a comment:

• BroncoSynapses
    replied
    oy Renck

@TroyRenck
    ·
    13m

Leave a comment:

Working...
X