Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would you bring in at QB during the offseason, and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post

Depends on how one interprets "benefit". Now, if you're just looking to get trophies, then no, of course it wouldn't. You'd want your best competition as far away from you as possible so the system hopefully filters them out before you have to play them.

Now, I can't speak for Brady, Manning, or pretty much anyone else at the amateur or pro level, but I know when I raced and practiced for racing, I always wanted to face the fastest guys. When practicing, it taught me how to become faster. But, when racing, it was a natural, competitive desire to beat everyone, particularly the best I faced (the wins against those did not happen often). I think that's the competitive spirit. I knew Kyle Lewis and Ty Davis (not close friends, but riding acquaintances), and those guys didn't give a **** about trophies....they just wanted to beat everyone's asses around them. I felt the same. Oh, and I want to make clear I didn't race at the level of Ty Davis or Kyle Lewis. They were light years faster than me and paid factory pros. I was just a peon in the amateur circuits. But, I did have a similar desire to win...just not the experience and talent they did...lol.

I imagine many NFL pro athletes have that competitive desire, particularly when they're young. To them, it's probably more important than having a trophy. Maybe as they get older that changes for those individuals, though. So, maybe a young Watson actually does want to face Mahomes twice. It wouldn't surprise me at all.
    There is a huge difference between being an amateur and having something be your livelihood. Watson with his new contract failed to even be competitive in their division, and with his supposed great talent also to be competitive at the start of games. He is a golden boy in many peoples eyes - 2nd highest contract in the NFL.
    If he comes to the AFCW and and finish 8-8 or worse the next 2 years, then he will hurt himself massively financially and in the standing in NFL. The NFL is littered with the RG3's of this world - very promising players that were almost super stars.

I would say that this falls in the same category as why intriquing QBs like Tebow and Colin Kaepernick were not worth the risk for a front office. They were both toxic due to people loving and hating them for reasons that had nothing to do with how they actually played and what they achieved. Fans and haters would charry pick and turd pick their performances based on skin color and views, and unless you were massively successful with one of them it would hurt your career maybe end it.

If Watson comes to the AFCW and fails to make an impact then he will be a bust, and we could just be the russian roulette version of NFL career advice!

Comment

• Originally posted by colowoz01 View Post
      I wonder if any NFL Player would go on record that he was afraid to play another Nfl guy ? These are professionals.
      Competition is what most live for.

Best bet is to draft a QB in the First round, give Lock some competition.
      Elway seemed very wary of Bosworth.

Comment

• Originally posted by BiscuitBronco View Post

Elway seemed very wary of Bosworth.
        According to Elway he was more wary of Bruce Smith. When asked how fast he runs he said it depends on if Bruce Smith was chasing him or not.

Pretty sure Raiders like Howie Long bugged him more than Hawks....Elway at one time as like 2-11 or something against the Raiders before Shanahan got here and started dominating the Raiders.
        Skill + Effort = Talent. Talent + Effort = Achievement. A. Duckworth - Grit.

Comment

• Alex Smith is my guy to bring in if we have Lock or we draft a Qb.

Many QBs in my time watching the NFL have done well when they have a good vet to learn from.
          Skill + Effort = Talent. Talent + Effort = Achievement. A. Duckworth - Grit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post

According to Elway he was more wary of Bruce Smith. When asked how fast he runs he said it depends on if Bruce Smith was chasing him or not.

Pretty sure Raiders like Howie Long bugged him more than Hawks....Elway at one time as like 2-11 or something against the Raiders before Shanahan got here and started dominating the Raiders.
            For sure Bruce Smith was someone to be very afraid of... Major HOF talent. Bosworth made better movies than moves on the football field.. and his movies were terrible...He did seem to get into Elways head though

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post

There is a huge difference between being an amateur and having something be your livelihood. ...
              Both Ty Davis and Kyle Lewis were factory pros who earned their living racing dirt bikes. I was, and still am, the amateur.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post

If Wentz could be as good as he was, it would be great. I wouldn't want to overpay for him. But if the price is right, it may be worth the gamble?
                How often do the solid skills of very good QB start to diminish (injuries don't count) and they get traded and then totally rebound to have the basically the same success for SEVERAL YEARS as they did with their previous team? If it happens I believe it's extremely rare.
                Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

How often do the solid skills of very good QB start to diminish (injuries don't count) and they get traded and then totally rebound to have the basically the same success for SEVERAL YEARS as they did with their previous team? If it happens I believe it's extremely rare.
                  Yup, pretty much that way. Manning might've been one of those rare occasions. His 2013 season was pretty spectacular...arguably his best. No, I don't expect Wentz to rebound, or at least I wouldn't want the Broncos to pay for him and find out he's Flacco II.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

Jake Plummer coming to the Broncos is a very good example of a rebound.
                    Ryan Tannenhill another.
                    Nick Foles coming back to the Eagles is a third...

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post

Jake Plummer coming to the Broncos is a very good example of a rebound.
                      Ryan Tannenhill another.
                      Nick Foles coming back to the Eagles is a third...
                      Great examples and there's most likely more if one was to dig deeper into NFL history. But still rare.
                      Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• So not to get off of subject but what's this Bosworth had Elway's number? Bosworth had 4 career sacks, none of which were against Elway.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                          So not to get off of subject but what's this Bosworth had Elway's number? Bosworth had 4 career sacks, none of which were against Elway.
                          I have no idea. I do know he was a #1 pick and flopped. Goes to show......
                          Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Well, Wentz is officially out. Not that we were considering him, but the available QB list is getting shorter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                              Well, Wentz is officially out. Not that we were considering him, but the available QB list is getting shorter.

To me, the big, positive game changers (Watson and Wilson) and the one decent back-up plan (Dalton) are still out there. I always saw Wentz and Stafford as too much risk for the asking price, so I'm glad they're gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post

To me, the big, positive game changers (Watson and Wilson) and the one decent back-up plan (Dalton) are still out there. I always saw Wentz and Stafford as too much risk for the asking price, so I'm glad they're gone.
                                Totally agree, glad Wentz is elsewhere. Colts gave up 2021 3rd round and conditional 2022 pick, not much bidding here.
                                Interesting to see if the Broncos pay $$$ for one of those top guys.
                                Last edited by colowoz01; 02-18-2021, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X