Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would you bring in at QB during the offseason, and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't wish to get involved in discussion about Watson, except to say I wouldn't consider him at this time.

For me, the clear choice is to bring in Alex Smith, however I think Denver will take a first round QB in the draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

Just to clear. If 5-7 provide their names will you believe it is truthful? Partially extortion instead “ purely” extortion?

I would not be surprised to see the number of accusers go down too. Some will likely not want the public scrutiny and unwanted internet humiliation that is almost certain to follow. The two accusers that already went public are getting trolled, faced with intimidation, and even death threats. There are victim shield laws for a reason. There is also a reason that Watsons lawyer petitioned to force the public release of the names instead of settling for release to defense council only.

Bringing in Watson is an emphatic “no” IMO.

Even being kind, his baggage is way too much for any desire to bring him in as the face of the Bronco franchise. Find it tough to find any reason that logically explains away over at least 40 masseuses that we know of. How many have not come forward? Some barely out of school or advertising over the internet. He has access to approved experienced professionals yet he seems to seek out inexperienced and isolated masseuses. His behavior is predatory IMO.

No matter how this plays out in number of accusers, how many he pays off to remain silent or even the NFL slap on the wrist they will give him. Keep him away from the Broncos. His behavior tells its own story. He is a PR nightmare. Or will be until some PR genius finds a way to spin his behavior into a sympathetic character struggling with a sexual addiction.

There are other QB options. Broncos can and should choose one. As of today, I would bring in Smith to support Lock and the team. Easy simple solution to the QB issue this year.
      So true!

It seems like some have and promote agendas that equal the mentalities that led to lynchings in the past, and the woman that Watson has allegedly assaulted are in massive danger from both intimidation and from physical harm. The situation that Watson has put himself in does not fit the narrative that some push.

Aside from Watson being a QB that was unable to elevate Texans to relevance and carrying an insane price tag that would cripple the Broncos for years to come, we need to stay far away from him!

Comment

• Why did the women have to identify themselves before Watson would admit to “consensual” acts?

If it was all consensual, wasn’t it true before they identified themselves or were ordered to do so?

It’s baffling that there are people that want to trade for him before he’s resolved these issues.

There’s still the matter of the criminal investigation as well.
        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
        You Mad Bro?
        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post

So true!

It seems like some have and promote agendas that equal the mentalities that led to lynchings in the past, and the woman that Watson has allegedly assaulted are in massive danger from both intimidation and from physical harm. The situation that Watson has put himself in does not fit the narrative that some push.

Aside from Watson being a QB that was unable to elevate Texans to relevance and carrying an insane price tag that would cripple the Broncos for years to come, we need to stay far away from him!
          I think we all know that Watson's situation is on hold, at minimum, for some time to come. But as for the bolded part, I disagree with you. Strictly as a young QB, he is by far one of the best on the planet. Check his stats, even last year, with a crumbling organization around him and his mates, making one bad decision after another. Check the performance of his D, and his team's rushing game. He was almost an island in a stormy sea. And he has led his team into the playoffs, as young as he was.

We've got discussions in more than one place about his legal situation, but if folks want to talk about player performance, and value (yes, he would have cost us some good capital, but in my opinion, that's the price you may want to pay to have a young, franchise QB....and allow you to build the other parts of your team in due course). Paton is apparently a high quality resource manager, which translates to finding players at different pay scales to fulfill your overall needs. Losing some draft picks, maybe a player or two, is worth it, if it gives you stability in the QB position, and refocuses your depth chart to finding nice pieces, even if not expensive ones initially. There are various ways to put teams together. In my opinion, having a stud young QB, along with a nice O overall (which will no doubt have gotten better this coming year), and a possible top 5 D, would have made The Broncos a real competitive threat.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I think we all know that Watson's situation is on hold, at minimum, for some time to come. But as for the bolded part, I disagree with you. Strictly as a young QB, he is by far one of the best on the planet. Check his stats, even last year, with a crumbling organization around him and his mates, making one bad decision after another. Check the performance of his D, and his team's rushing game. He was almost an island in a stormy sea. And he has led his team into the playoffs, as young as he was.

We've got discussions in more than one place about his legal situation, but if folks want to talk about player performance, and value (yes, he would have cost us some good capital, but in my opinion, that's the price you may want to pay to have a young, franchise QB....and allow you to build the other parts of your team in due course). Paton is apparently a high quality resource manager, which translates to finding players at different pay scales to fulfill your overall needs. Losing some draft picks, maybe a player or two, is worth it, if it gives you stability in the QB position, and refocuses your depth chart to finding nice pieces, even if not expensive ones initially. There are various ways to put teams together. In my opinion, having a stud young QB, along with a nice O overall (which will no doubt have gotten better this coming year), and a possible top 5 D, would have made The Broncos a real competitive threat.
            The simple fact is that Watson's contract accounts for twice as much of cap as any QB to ever win the SB in the cap era.
            Aside from that he would cost a ton of picks before this legal situation came up.

Individual performance stats that do not correlate to victory are quite irrelevant. The role of the QB is not to have great individual stats and highlight reels, but more than anything to lead the team. Levels of talent does not vary that much from team to team unless they really make a large amount of bad decisions over a long period of time.

The fact that the Texans locker room was an absolute mess according to Bradley Roby rest on the leaders of the team, and no one moreso than the QB. We have seen it several times in recent Broncos history where ex the defense played off the offense - defense played much better with Plummer than with Cutler, much better with Tebow than with Orton, when Peyton came in w17 of 2015 the whole team calmed down and played better. The QB has to lead the team and Watson has failed there, and irrespective of talent there is no sensible way of jutifying the cost in other talent and money.

Comment

The simple fact is that Watson's contract accounts for twice as much of cap as any QB to ever win the SB in the cap era.
              Aside from that he would cost a ton of picks before this legal situation came up.

Individual performance stats that do not correlate to victory are quite irrelevant. The role of the QB is not to have great individual stats and highlight reels, but more than anything to lead the team. Levels of talent does not vary that much from team to team unless they really make a large amount of bad decisions over a long period of time.

The fact that the Texans locker room was an absolute mess according to Bradley Roby rest on the leaders of the team, and no one moreso than the QB. We have seen it several times in recent Broncos history where ex the defense played off the offense - defense played much better with Plummer than with Cutler, much better with Tebow than with Orton, when Peyton came in w17 of 2015 the whole team calmed down and played better. The QB has to lead the team and Watson has failed there, and irrespective of talent there is no sensible way of jutifying the cost in other talent and money.
              I am not talking purely stats, though stats are not exactly a bad thing. No one was complaining here when Manning broke those records and we were scoring big!! But that's too much of an oversimplification, because good QBs usually have good stats.

I realize this legal case can overshadow anything folks used to say about Watson. Folks tend to forget the "pre" days.

From simply a stats perspective:

4 years in The NFL, and 3 Pro Bowls (fantastic! how do you even get voted to the pro bowl on a near bottom team, with a lousy rush game and poor D....passing is part of it, but defenders could load up on him, given the poor run game0

Average Rate of 104.5, highest in '20 at 112.4 (lowest was a solid 98)

1,677rushing yards and 17 TDs

Led team to playoffs twice, and won one round

What happened in '20 is much more about management than Watson. The leadership has made terrible decisions, and from what I gather (I could be wrong), Watson's inputs were not welcome. Most starters I have read about have has some input in the future of their team, even if it is just about potential draft picks. And if a team that has a great young QB does not listen, they are out of touch. Why on earth would you not care about a young 3 year pro bowler QB's views? If that's even partially true, it speaks volumes about an organization, and validates their collapse as a team.

Is it Watson's fault that they have traded so much equity?? I have not heard of one person who approved the Hopkins deal. But that was just one of the poor decisions. And is it Watson's fault that Houston was near the bottom in D and in rushing game?? Any football minded person knows that you are unlikely to do well with bottom feeder rushing games and D.

Oh and there's this JJ dude, who basically apologized by saying they let Watson down this past season. I trust JJ's word over most in the game.
              Last edited by CanDB; 04-11-2021, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• Alex Smith is who I would bring in as the backup... he has a ton of experience and Lock could learn a lot from him... although he may be able to beat Lock out in training camp...
                I Love Orange Crush!

Comment

I am not talking purely stats, though stats are not exactly a bad thing. No one was complaining here when Manning broke those records and we were scoring big!! But that's too much of an oversimplification, because good QBs usually have good stats.

I realize this legal case can overshadow anything folks used to say about Watson. Folks tend to forget the "pre" days.

From simply a stats perspective:

4 years in The NFL, and 3 Pro Bowls (fantastic! how do you even get voted to the pro bowl on a near bottom team, with a lousy rush game and poor D....passing is part of it, but defenders could load up on him, given the poor run game0

Average Rate of 104.5, highest in '20 at 112.4 (lowest was a solid 98)

1,677rushing yards and 17 TDs

Led team to playoffs twice, and won one round

What happened in '20 is much more about management than Watson. The leadership has made terrible decisions, and from what I gather (I could be wrong), Watson's inputs were not welcome. Most starters I have read about have has some input in the future of their team, even if it is just about potential draft picks. And if a team that has a great young QB does not listen, they are out of touch. Why on earth would you not care about a young 3 year pro bowler QB's views? If that's even partially true, it speaks volumes about an organization, and validates their collapse as a team.

Is it Watson's fault that they have traded so much equity?? I have not heard of one person who approved the Hopkins deal. But that was just one of the poor decisions. And is it Watson's fault that Houston was near the bottom in D and in rushing game?? Any football minded person knows that you are unlikely to do well with bottom feeder rushing games and D.

Oh and there's this JJ dude, who basically apologized by saying they let Watson down this past season. I trust JJ's word over most in the game.
                  Deshaun Watsons achievements are really not in question, but the reality is that we would not get him on a Rookie contract and without giving up premium draft capital that is the only way to deal with expensive contracts and acquire premium talent for cheap.

If we could go back in time and draft him he would have been a great pick, but that is not the situation being discussed. You are mentioning Hopkins not being there, but there is no money to pay for elite talent around DW with his contract and last year showed exactly what you could expect. Tom Brady did not get say in personnel matters for the Patriots in spite of making extremely team friendly deals - why do you think that DW that do not do what he can for the team should have that kind of say?

When we are talking achiements it is also relevant to point out that Brock Osweiler won as many playoff games in one season with the Texans as DW has in 4 seasons, and that at least last year Texans were out of games before DW posted his individual stats.

We are not talking DW on a rookie contract but one of the most team destroying contracts in the NFL for a player that would not stick around and who had an even worse win rate than Lock and that as a multi year starter in the same system.

Comment

Deshaun Watsons achievements are really not in question, but the reality is that we would not get him on a Rookie contract and without giving up premium draft capital that is the only way to deal with expensive contracts and acquire premium talent for cheap.

If we could go back in time and draft him he would have been a great pick, but that is not the situation being discussed. You are mentioning Hopkins not being there, but there is no money to pay for elite talent around DW with his contract and last year showed exactly what you could expect. Tom Brady did not get say in personnel matters for the Patriots in spite of making extremely team friendly deals - why do you think that DW that do not do what he can for the team should have that kind of say?

When we are talking achiements it is also relevant to point out that Brock Osweiler won as many playoff games in one season with the Texans as DW has in 4 seasons, and that at least last year Texans were out of games before DW posted his individual stats.

We are not talking DW on a rookie contract but one of the most team destroying contracts in the NFL for a player that would not stick around and who had an even worse win rate than Lock and that as a multi year starter in the same system.
                    If I read your commentary about Watson and if I never saw him play, I would absolutely think you are describing someone else. Someone no where near Watson's performance and production. You appear to be cherry picking your comparisons where it fits, and seem to completely bi pass his amazing first 4 seasons as a big league QB. I know this debate gets lost now, because of the allegations and subsequent concerns. But prior to the day we found out, this guy was easily one of the best young QBs in The NFL.

But hey, if you are the type who likes to watch his team struggle every year to find a successor, go for it.
                    Last edited by CanDB; 04-12-2021, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• Speculation is what makes fan forums so much fun. Of course Watson doesn't have a great winning percentage in Houston. The overall roster Houston had when Oz was their QB was way better than today. I can speculate Houston would have won multiple playoff games the year Desaun got hurt midseason. I can also speculate that O'brien mismanaged the team to it's current situation and that Watson is tired of losing.

Part of being a great leader is putting yourself in a position to lead and making other better or realize their true potential. Watson doesn't have to morals I agree with to do that. Thousands of HOF athletes in various sports have been very premiscuous and never missed time playing. It is, however, hard to be a great QB if you aren't on the field. Is Watson too hot to handle right now with allegations pending? Is he a great leader of men? Personally I wouldn't take that chance with multiple draft choices given up. Now if we are speculating that 1 second rd pick and maybe a couple other picks later would get Watson here, sure that is a tough deal to pass up. I do realize he has a hefty contract too.

"The numbers don't lie" is mostly true in the scenario with Watson.ome of his great stats last year happened when the game was out of reach, some of Locks good stats and bad interceptions did also. Watson has had top 10 numbers for QB's almost every year he has started and been healthy. I can speculate Deshaun Watson is a better QB than Lock but until it happens we never really will know.

Comment

• Originally posted by jpark31 View Post
                        Alex Smith is who I would bring in as the backup... he has a ton of experience and Lock could learn a lot from him... although he may be able to beat Lock out in training camp...
                        Agreed. I been on the Smith train before he was released and glad it is still a possibility.

Even if we moved on from Lock to another young Qb I think Smith would be a great guy to have in the room to learn from. If things do not go well with Lock I think Smith can pilot this team to the playoffs and help us get the next young guy up to speed.

Think Rypien is a good guy to have in the room until someone better comes. He reminds me a lot of a young Gary Kubiak.
                        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

If I read your commentary about Watson and if I never saw him play, I would absolutely think you are describing someone else. Someone no where near Watson's performance and production. You appear to be cherry picking your comparisons where it fits, and seem to completely bi pass his amazing first 4 seasons as a big league QB. I know this debate gets lost now, because of the allegations and subsequent concerns. But prior to the day we found out, this guy was easily one of the best young QBs in The NFL.

But hey, if you are the type who likes to watch his team struggle every year to find a successor, go for it.
                          If you don't think that a 4-12 season as the one Watson has just delivered is struggling, then we differ a lot on definitions. That Deshaun Watson has been one of the best qbs on rookie contracts does not mean that he can deliver when HE is the one that has to carry the whole team.

When he accounted for 1.6% of cap he was a success
                          When he accounted for 1.8% of cap he was a success
                          When he accounted for 4.5% of cap he produced a 4-12 season and needed to be comforted
                          When he accounts for 8.2% of cap he likely will be barred from playing
                          When he accounts for 19.9% of cap he will produce ???????
                          When he accounts for 18.8% of cap he will produce ???????

With the amount of excuses made for DW it is bizzarre to even think that he will carry a team with 3-4 elite level players less.
                          I guess that understanding that money matters to the ability to build a great team that contends for championships is just a bridge too far!

Comment

If you don't think that a 4-12 season as the one Watson has just delivered is struggling, then we differ a lot on definitions. That Deshaun Watson has been one of the best qbs on rookie contracts does not mean that he can deliver when HE is the one that has to carry the whole team.

When he accounted for 1.6% of cap he was a success
                            When he accounted for 1.8% of cap he was a success
                            When he accounted for 4.5% of cap he produced a 4-12 season and needed to be comforted
                            When he accounts for 8.2% of cap he likely will be barred from playing
                            When he accounts for 19.9% of cap he will produce ???????
                            When he accounts for 18.8% of cap he will produce ???????

With the amount of excuses made for DW it is bizzarre to even think that he will carry a team with 3-4 elite level players less.
                            I guess that understanding that money matters to the ability to build a great team that contends for championships is just a bridge too far!
                            You can stick with the '20 season and forever blame Watson for it, but explain how he could be a Pro Bowler with that record, and with no real support from his run game and D???? He had his best rate at 112.4. How does a young QB do that when opposing teams know you have no run game and that they can defend accordingly? At some point I can expect more passing yardage, but I would also see more pics and other negative outcomes.

Of their 12 losses, 8 were within one score, and in 3 they scored over 30 points. A QB can not win all by himself.

And again, if JJ Watt says they let Watson down last season, I'll take his word.

Comment

You can stick with the '20 season and forever blame Watson for it, but explain how he could be a Pro Bowler with that record, and with no real support from his run game and D???? He had his best rate at 112.4. How does a young QB do that when opposing teams know you have no run game and that they can defend accordingly? At some point I can expect more passing yardage, but I would also see more pics and other negative outcomes.

Of their 12 losses, 8 were within one score, and in 3 they scored over 30 points. A QB can not win all by himself.

And again, if JJ Watt says they let Watson down last season, I'll take his word.

What exactly is your ambition for the Broncos?
                              Mine is NOT that our QB goes to the Pro Bowl but that the team has success.
                              I enjoyed the Tebow almost losses a lot more than Kyle Ortons' almost wins. I enjoyed seing Trevor Siemian evolve

I put a lot of stock in Bradley Roby telling that the Texans locker room was mess of infighting.

We agree that a QB cannot win all by himself, but if he is paid so that you cannot pay for supporting cast then he has to. That is the reason that in the salary cap era no QB taking close to DWs cap hit has ever won the SB.

Comment

• I wouldn’t object to bringing in Alex Smith.

Even without a Criminal Investigation and several lawsuits, there is no quarterback worth trading for.
                                My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                                You Mad Bro?
                                Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Working...
                                X