Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would you bring in at QB during the offseason, and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would you bring in at QB during the offseason, and why?

Sounds like this belongs in the draft/free agency section of the site. My bad. Anyone know how to request this gets moved?

I know we have another Drew Lock thread, but this isn't so much about him as it is about who might be brought in at that position to improve the Broncos ongoing nightmare at filling that franchise QB position. Even though I'm a believer Lock is creeping along to looking better than he did as The Gunslinger, it's still a slow process, and nothing yet says he'll make the transition to a franchise QB. Assume the team is stuck with Shurmur for the next season.

Personally, I think one of the FA vets would be mismanaged by the staff and Lock would simply be shoved aside, with we Broncos fans getting a couple of years of mediocrity at best. None of the vets, to me, can take this team over the top to a strong post-season showing. Some of them are even worse than what's going on here now. I'm more of the mindset to spend in the draft to get the franchise QB. Haven't decided who or how to do that yet, though, although I'm kinda leaning towards Trask since they guy seems to have something between his ears, which I believe this team needs more than simply athletic ability. I'd be interested in your opinions. Who would you get?
    Last edited by DiveInstructor; 12-30-2020, 11:28 AM.

I realize this won’t be popular or realistic, but I will take a stab:

I would trade for Deshaun Watson. It would probably take multiple picks (including our 1st) but Houston will be hiring a new head coach and will want to overhaul their roster.

I have liked Watson since his college days. He can beat you with his arm and his legs. I don’t think the Broncos will be in a position to draft one of the top 3 quarterbacks and the FA quarterbacks are not impressive. He brings the athleticism and skills needed in today’s NFL.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by qbronco View Post
      I realize this won’t be popular or realistic, but I will take a stab:

I would trade for Deshaun Watson. It would probably take multiple picks (including our 1st) but Houston will be hiring a new head coach and will want to overhaul their roster.

I have liked Watson since his college days. He can beat you with his arm and his legs. I don’t think the Broncos will be in a position to draft one of the top 3 quarterbacks and the FA quarterbacks are not impressive. He brings the athleticism and skills needed in today’s NFL.
      Yeah he wouldn't be cheap. He's carrying quite a bit of guaranteed money with his contract. Then, you have to pay just to get the Texans to let him go. Athletically and his ability at QB is definitely a better choice than most of the other FA's. Heck, some are asking to bring Mariota here....sheesh! Elway might pay it, even though he tends to be cheap on some players. He may not care about the long-term ramifications of a deal like that, since it's possible next season is his last.

Comment

I like the idea of getting Sam Darnold to compete with Drew Lock.

Comment

Watson is NOT going to be traded by the Texans. They know how hard it is to find a QB and are not going down that path. Having Watson there makes the coaching job more attractive, trading Watson with no plan B is a sure way to a short tenure. Then there is his contract - Houston would take a dead money hit to trade him.

To the original question. The Broncos are in a tough spot with their QB but a lot of teams are. There is not a guarantee that drafting a QB high will work out - Wentz, Darnold, Turbisky, Mariotta, Bortles, etc. are all recent examples of that. If the Broncos draft some one in the top 10 a QB then Drew Lock era is over and you will start next year with starting over at QB again.

Bringing in an established veteran at QB is usually the Joe Flacco experiment part 2. The only exception to that in my mind is Matthew Stafford, he is a good QB and at 33 probably has 4 or 5 years left. The problems with that are first, I don't really believe Detroit will trade him away. Second, if they decide to trade him away the market would be competitive to get him which would inflate his value - the Colts and 49ners are two teams that would jump right away to get him.

Here is the quandary, I don't believe the Broncos can go into next year with Drew Lock without someone to push him. In my mind Jameis Winston is an attractive option, he is probably a better QB than Lock is right now and his contract would be bearable. The downside is he probably wants to go somewhere he can be the starter. Washington, Partriots, SF, would all look better.

One other outlier will be the Dak Prescott situation. He wanted big money from the Cowboys but with his injury he may not be able to demand as much or with as much guaranteed money. It could get interesting.

Comment

Three names I’ve been hearing a lot of the last few weeks are Matt Stafford, Carson Wentz, Sam Darnold. Now that the Jets no longer have the number one pick in the NFL draft I don’t see them trading Sam Darnold to anyone.

It be nice if the Broncos could somehow trade for the rights to Andrew luck and lure him out of retirement, that would be huge but it is so far-fetched I guess it ain’t even worth mentioning.

I also saw a mock draft where Justin fields falls to the Broncos at number 10 if the Season were to end today. Which wouldn’t be bad however I can’t see the Broncos turning away from lock at this point. John Elway has missed so much in the past and he has so much to lose right now if he does turn away from the lock.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post

I also saw a mock draft where Justin fields falls to the Broncos at number 10 if the Season were to end today. Which wouldn’t be bad however I can’t see the Broncos turning away from lock at this point. John Elway has missed so much in the past and he has so much to lose right now if he does turn away from the lock.
              I saw a mock that had the Broncos taking him. Regardless, I can't see him falling that far. There are a lot of GM's out there who are willing to take chances early in the draft. Personally, I'm not big on him. He has a great team with a great o-line. Coming to this team, well, it has holes in it.

I talk Trask because I think he's good enough to challenge Lock, even though he doesn't have the cannon. What he does have is the ability to look around the field, largely because he has to. His team isn't that good, their schemes are often poor, and really he has only one or two reliable guys to throw to. To me, that sounds like the Broncos. Also, Trask will be there later, and the Broncos need to fill other slots, especially on defense. He has great touch and accuracy at passes 30 yards or less, and he shows solid mechanics and footwork. His only weaknesses are the arm strength for the accurate long ball, and he hardly moves in the pocket.

Comment

If I am trying to replace Lock and Prescott becomes a free agent he would be my number 1 target taking I don't think the broncos will have a shot for a top qb that could actually replace Lock in the draft.

If we are looking for competition for Lock i would be in Winston cause i think he has the highest upside of any fa qb not named Dak Prescott.

Ps there's a draft and free agent area this probably belongs there.
                sigpic
                oakland raders gm
                latavis murray trade bait

Comment

I wouldn’t bring anyone in to compete with Lock. He needs all the reps he can possibly get if he’s going to be what I think he can be. However I would bring in a veteran backup. Fitzpatrick is probably the obvious choice that comes to mind but he wants to start and it’d probably be a competition with the 2.

I think I’d try to get Keenum back in here. He had a career year in Shurmur’s offense so he’s capable of Lock goes down, already has chemistry with Sutton, but isn’t quite good enough to have a true competition with Lock while having veteran starting experience to help Lock from the sidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                    I wouldn’t bring anyone in to compete with Lock. He needs all the reps he can possibly get if he’s going to be what I think he can be. ...

I'd agree if this was the end of 2019. He's pretty much had a full season to show he's putting it together. It's time to take the training wheels off. He needs to show this team is his, not be protected to work on it for another year.

Comment

Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post

I'd agree if this was the end of 2019. He's pretty much had a full season to show he's putting it together. It's time to take the training wheels off. He needs to show this team is his, not be protected to work on it for another year.
                      I think he’s shown enough improvement in areas to eliminate the need for a competition. QB competitions are for teams who don’t believe in what they have or teams trying to give their rookie a little extra time learning the system. I don’t think they actually ever help a QB get better.

Plus Lock has missed a lot of reps in his career due to various injuries and covid. Any young QB we would bring in would need all the reps too whether it’s Darnold, Haskins, Rosen or whoever. A veteran wouldn’t but that’s proven to be a dead end for us.

The only other guy I’d bring in to take reps away from Lock would be Prescott, but that’ll be a massive contract and would likely have a big ripple effect on the rest of the team that may take another season to replace some of those guys we’d lose.

Anyway I look at it, our best chance of making the playoffs next season lies with Lock and him making a leap so getting him a strong mentor would be ideal. Prescott could get us close but I think what we’d lose would counteract what we’d gain by signing him. Any rookie QB is going to have their rookie struggles, and the older veteran QBs are usually available for the wrong reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

I think he’s shown enough improvement in areas to eliminate the need for a competition. QB competitions are for teams who don’t believe in what they have or teams trying to give their rookie a little extra time learning the system. I don’t think they actually ever help a QB get better.....
                        Fair enough. All of this is just opinion and conjecture anyway, so there is no right or wrong answer. Personally, with the team finishing worse than last year, I have a hard time buying into him being the only guy the team gets behind for the 2021 season. I just don't see him getting off the learning curve very quickly. He just hasn't grown far from the issues that come with his reputation. Because of that, I want a back-up plan. But, that too is just my opinion.

Comment

I've been on the option of bringing in Jameis Winston, if possible and at a reasonable deal, to compete with Drew.

I don't see Elway taking a QB in the draft.

But, I do expect to at least see them make an attempt to bring in a quality veteran to push Lock.

And I think Winston would be a good fit. He's still young and I believe his upside is better than Drew's.

Comment

Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post

Fair enough. All of this is just opinion and conjecture anyway, so there is no right or wrong answer. Personally, with the team finishing worse than last year, I have a hard time buying into him being the only guy the team gets behind for the 2021 season. I just don't see him getting off the learning curve very quickly. He just hasn't grown far from the issues that come with his reputation. Because of that, I want a back-up plan. But, that too is just my opinion.
                            Some people no matter what will feel that he needs more time. Thats fine in not one of the ones that does. Its like there has never been a quarterback that has had 3 years and still looked bad.
                            Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

Watson would be a great acquisition, but at a great cost. He has MVP potential.

I think we should be looking at the top QBs in the draft, but not to move up to get one. Too expensive. Maybe Zach Wilson if he is still there. But we need to be sure, because too many QB draft picks for my money. Do not want to use a first, but as long as we don't trade up I'm ok.

The backup I would love is Fitz, but Miami won't let him go. He's one of the few backups I can truly say that could win you a game any time he steps on the field. Plus he's a great mentor.

Bottom line....still not sure what we have in Lock, and believe me, I was buying in this time last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X