No announcement yet.

which cb would you pick in first round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it may be easier to do that List after some gm and coaching changes happen. atlanta has already said before hiring a gm that no one is safe including julio jones and matt ryan. watson could be changing teams. theres a lot that can significantly change what happens in the top 10 alone.

Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Even though I mentioned Jaycee Horn already, I’m talking myself more and more into Patrick Surtain II. I’ve been watching a lot of his clips lately and his technique is sound and disciplined— probably the best in this class. His tackling has improved from year-to-year, which is encouraging. Depending on how the board falls, we could be in position to have our choice of any cornerback in this class at #9.
      2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
      Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

I'm seeing a lot of mocks go CB for Denver.
        Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
          Even though I mentioned Jaycee Horn already, I’m talking myself more and more into Patrick Surtain II. I’ve been watching a lot of his clips lately and his technique is sound and disciplined— probably the best in this class. His tackling has improved from year-to-year, which is encouraging. Depending on how the board falls, we could be in position to have our choice of any cornerback in this class at #9.
          did you see this HD?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si....the-alabama-cb

surtain sr talking about his son and why the broncos should draft him
          Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post

did you see this HD?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si....the-alabama-cb

surtain sr talking about his son and why the broncos should draft him
            Just reading what Surtain Sr. said gives me chills! Granted, I know it’s Surtain Jr.’s dad but if there’s anyone who understands how to play the cornerback position, it’s him. And for him to talk about the Broncos, specifically, makes me very giddy. I mentioned Surtain’s traits in the other CB thread, and they align very much with what his dad said about him. While I think Surtain is best-suited for a press-man scheme, he has the football IQ and experience in man-match concepts that Fangio likes to employ. You have to be smart to excel as a CB in Fangio’s system and Surtain has the recognition skills and awareness to at least carry his weight there. I’m just concerned about his speed and change-of-direction ability, especially in off-man or zone— so we’ll see. Trumaine Johnson is a popular comparison for Surtain and he was a man corner who showed that he could play in zone schemes.
            2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
            Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post

Just reading what Surtain Sr. said gives me chills! Granted, I know it’s Surtain Jr.’s dad but if there’s anyone who understands how to play the cornerback position, it’s him. And for him to talk about the Broncos, specifically, makes me very giddy. I mentioned Surtain’s traits in the other CB thread, and they align very much with what his dad said about him. While I think Surtain is best-suited for a press-man scheme, he has the football IQ and experience in man-match concepts that Fangio likes to employ. You have to be smart to excel as a CB in Fangio’s system and Surtain has the recognition skills and awareness to at least carry his weight there. I’m just concerned about his speed and change-of-direction ability, especially in off-man or zone— so we’ll see. Trumaine Johnson is a popular comparison for Surtain and he was a man corner who showed that he could play in zone schemes.
              yeah i think if we have the 9 pick we should take him as our #2 cb and get a #1 in fa. I think he has the skills and the smarts to be able to pick up on different schemes. but hes a natural cb. farley converted to a cb and still has some growing to do before id put him at number 2. Ive heard horn is pretty grabby which will definitely draw flags at the next level
              Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post

yeah i think if we have the 9 pick we should take him as our #2 cb and get a #1 in fa. I think he has the skills and the smarts to be able to pick up on different schemes. but hes a natural cb. farley converted to a cb and still has some growing to do before id put him at number 2. Ive heard horn is pretty grabby which will definitely draw flags at the next level
                That would actually make me worry that he'll be like Deltha O'Neal. I know it's an old reference. But a great athlete, not necessarily a great corner, who will have a ton of picks, but doesn't have the nuances down and will also end up giving up a bunch of big plays against.

Surtain is a born and bred NFL corner. He's been around NFL locker rooms his entire life, he'll be a consummate pro when he comes in because of that. I'm big on athletes who are the sons of former athletes. Add to that Alabama plays a lot of match route coverage, which is what Fangio prefers to use, so it should be a seamless transition.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

That would actually make me worry that he'll be like Deltha O'Neal. I know it's an old reference. But a great athlete, not necessarily a great corner, who will have a ton of picks, but doesn't have the nuances down and will also end up giving up a bunch of big plays against.

Surtain is a born and bred NFL corner. He's been around NFL locker rooms his entire life, he'll be a consummate pro when he comes in because of that. I'm big on athletes who are the sons of former athletes. Add to that Alabama plays a lot of match route coverage, which is what Fangio prefers to use, so it should be a seamless transition.
                  ah a delta reference! i think thats a good comparison.

when you read that article i posted i really liked one thing in particular:

" On Tuesday, Senior. joined Nick and Cecil on 104.3 The FAN where he was asked about the key to defensive longevity at the cornerback position in the NFL."

“I think it’s just being consistent, honestly, and knowing what you’re doing,” Surtain told hosts Nick Ferguson and Cecil Lammey. “Taking care of your body and just being a pro at what you do. Come in every day and work. Don’t start any chaos in the building, just go about doing your job, man."

if this is surtains mentality...sign me up
                  Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Surtain probably fits better for our scheme, but man Horn is a nasty guy at the LoS and a lot of the times the duration of the route. Reminds me a lot of Marlon Humphrey in that regard. I love press CBs because throwing off a QBs timing is huge and it buys pass rusher an extra second or two to get pressure. IMO having physical press corners on the outside leads to more turnovers. Probably why I still like the Cover 2 defense so much. Horn and OJ could be really dangerous if used in C2 pressing WRs at the line to disrupt timing and then sinking and using their height/length/leaping ability to make plays on the ball in the soft spots of the Cover 2.

It’ll be interesting to judge their respective careers given who their dads are. Sure Surtain got the benefit of a great CB as a father and has picked up on more of the nuances of the position, but Horn also had a great WR to teach him what to look for when covering them. And of course there’s Samuel who may not have the size but has the heart of a lion and some really impressive movement and ball skills.

Comment

My gut says Surtain if we're staying at 9 and picking CB.

If we get a good offer to trade back to the mid teens I don't really ave a preference between Horn and Farley.

I think another interesting view is who would we target in the 2nd? I could easily see us go CB, CB with our first 2 picks.

I could also see us passing on a CB at 9 if we love Trey Lance and he's sitting there.

The names I'm seeing are Asante Samuel Jr. (Not sure if he makes it to 40.) Tyson Campbell, Eric Stokes, Thomas Grahham, Paul Adebo

A book I wrote

Comment

Interesting idea of back to back CBs. I don't think the Broncos would though. I have no issue with the #9 pick for Farley or Surtain, (early draft crush is Parsons though) but prefer they spend some money on a quality vet or two to balance out the CB room. That rookie CB is the future, but year one they need some mentoring and a true #1 to take some pressure off IMO.

Second round has a lot quality options at S, OT, LB, RB just to name a few. Have a tough time thinking they draft two CBs in the first two picks. But I also didn't see the two WRs last year either, so what do I know.

Comment

i would like to have Surtain then go MLB/OLB, S, OT depending on who the resign and whose options are picked up

Comment

I do not think any CB is worth of a top 10 pick. If we decided CB is the way to go would trade down....that may limit who we could take but I think we could drop some spots and get Patrick Surtain

Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                              I do not think any CB is worth of a top 10 pick. If we decided CB is the way to go would trade down....that may limit who we could take but I think we could drop some spots and get Patrick Surtain
                              i dont think you could trade back and still get surtain. maybe horn but not surtain or farley
                              Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Draft Surtain.

Comment

Working...
                                X