Trey Lance at 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trey Lance at 9

I think Drew deserves another year to prove he is the guy. I also think that if a guy like Trey Lance falls to us at 9 we should snag him. There may be a lot of former 1st round picks available this offseason (Wentz, Darnold, Trubinsky etc) to take a flyer on...but its a tough go to reform a qb's confidence when it's been demolished with consistent bad performances. When I look at Trey Lance, I see the ultimate competitor that fits today's NFL. His footwork and pocket presence is outstanding and he is so tough to tackle which is so valuable in making nothing into huge plays. He plays like a bruising safety but with a high QB IQ. His ceiling is a guy that could go toe to toe with Lamar, Allen and maybe even one day Mahomes.

Justin Fields doesn't do it for me plus I think Lock is more talented. Getting Lance would be ultimate insurance in case Lock doesn't pan out. Our offence is set, we could definitely draft some D with the 9th pick, but you win championships now with a QB...the value is too good to ignore Lance at 9.

Thoughts?
    "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

I’m not touching him at 9. He’s a 2-3 year project QB and we already have 1 going into his 3rd year. He’s consistently late on timing routes and his ball placement generally isn’t good. A bit of Josh Allen/Cam Newton when he runs, take that for what you will. He can hit a wide open target though.

I think he’s a 2nd or 3rd round guy but I wouldn’t be shocked if some team falls in love with the big arm and mobility and takes him in the first. I just hope it isn’t us.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
      I’m not touching him at 9. He’s a 2-3 year project QB and we already have 1 going into his 3rd year. He’s consistently late on timing routes and his ball placement generally isn’t good. A bit of Josh Allen/Cam Newton when he runs, take that for what you will. He can hit a wide open target though.

I think he’s a 2nd or 3rd round guy but I wouldn’t be shocked if some team falls in love with the big arm and mobility and takes him in the first. I just hope it isn’t us.
      I'm not too big on him either....but I'm waiting to see him play this year. He could have improved on a lot of things....im so not a zac Wilson fan but his numbers in 2019 was terrible and then he made a leap. I need to get my hands on tape this year before I judge.
      Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

i like Mac Jones more then Lance. he is to boom or bust for my liking.
        sigpic
        oakland raders gm
        latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Funny how people say the won't touch Ohio state qbs but all in on mac jones as if Bama has put any top qbs in the nfl in the past 30 years ..... smh....

Kyo im not talking you just fyi.
          Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
            i like Mac Jones more then Lance. he is to boom or bust for my liking.
            Me too. I don't like either of them at 9 though. The more I watch Wilson the more I like him. Would have to trade up though.
            sigpic

Comment

I would take Lance, if we traded Lock and got a Vet to start for a year or 2 to give him more time to develop. Mac Jones made monumental improvements this year, but seriously in the OSU game Drew Lock throws for 400 yds with guys that wide open. That was as bad as I have ever seen OSU play defensively in my lifetime. Mac Jones is a possibility for me in the second rd if you want to see if he can beat out Lock.

For the record I still think Fields turns out to be a very good QB in the NFL

Comment

I really like Trey Lance’s upside and attributes, but he has the biggest bust potential out of the first round QBs this year. Then again, I said the same thing about Mahomes, Allen, Lock, and Herbert (one of these is not like the others).

If drafting Lance means we go another 2-3 years with a project QB trying to develop... count me out. We might as well just stick with Lock again and come into the 2022 draft with more clarity on how we should move forward.

He has far and away the best athleticism and one of the strongest arms in this draft, but his field vision and mechanics worry me (sound familiar?). I used to be on board with snagging him at #9, but after studying him a bit more I’m leaning towards letting other teams take a chance on him.
                2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
                Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

This...... agreed.

Comment

No to Trey Lance..... simple as that.

Comment

I can't believe how many people are down on Lance. I would say Lance is the closest thing we would see to a Josh Allen type of impact. He is big, strong, fast and can throw....and at just 20 years old he still has time/room to build strength.

I like this guy more and more every day.

Comment

Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
                        I can't believe how many people are down on Lance. I would say Lance is the closest thing we would see to a Josh Allen type of impact. He is big, strong, fast and can throw....and at just 20 years old he still has time/room to build strength.

I like this guy more and more every day.
                        Justin Fields should be the same minus he has a higher floor
                        sigpic
                        oakland raders gm
                        latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

Justin Fields should be the same minus he has a higher floor
                          Right, but is Justin Fields likely to be there at 9? I would take Fields over Lance in a heartbeat, but I imagine many teams would as well. It's going to be interesting to see where Fields lands now that it looks like Darnold is staying put as the starter.

So at 9, would I take Lance if available? I don't know, but he has a ton of things going for him and we do have the luxury of having a capable-and cheap- backup QB in Lock that may just surprise us all.
                          I sort of threw him out of the equation early because let's face it, there isn't much to see from him on tape and his much anticipated game earlier was a dud. But reading about what scouts and others have to say, it's clear he compares well to some of these other guys who are throw first QBs with deadly ability in the run game- guys like Tannehill, Watson, and Allen.
                          ​​​​

Comment

This coaching staff can't develop Lock and yet they'll be capable of developing perhaps an even bigger project in Lance?

I don't think so. We're probably going to be just as bad, if not worse, next year, so just roll with Lock and take one of the best defensive players at #9. There's a chance we'll have our pick of the top cornerbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post
                              This coaching staff can't develop Lock and yet they'll be capable of developing perhaps an even bigger project in Lance?

I don't think so. We're probably going to be just as bad, if not worse, next year, so just roll with Lock and take one of the best defensive players at #9. There's a chance we'll have our pick of the top cornerbacks.
                              Getting a defensive players mean nothing without a qb.

Comment

Working...
                              X