Gardner Minshew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the most honest breakdown I've seen of Minshew:

It echoes the idea that, if the idea is to be very aggressive vertically, he would not be the most ideal backup to bring in to challenge Lock. That's a fair argument for not bringing him in. On the other hand, if you have a quarterback who is consistently making bad throws, and are willing to be more balanced, I think Minshew can be extremely effective on a team that wants to play defense and run the football. That's the reason I would like having him on the team if we went into the season with Lock as the starter. As far as Rypien goes...I don't know. I try to be nice about guys who are on the team, so I guess if the comp is arm strength then I see it, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post

Have to agree to completely disagree on that one, Beast.

I would say, for one, his ball security in the pocket needs work, but that's part of his nature at extending plays. He draws a lot of Fitzpatrick comparisons, but he's a smarter decision maker. Fitzpatrick is more of a risk taker, whereas Minshew typically only throws contested balls when he has one on ones on the perimeter (Your DJ Chark scenario). His ball placement is great. Better than Fitz, IMO. He's not a great athlete, and he doesn't have a great arm. He has some learning to do at the LOS, but he's very smart. Way better than Rypien, IMO, who Idk if Rypien is an NFL QB. I disagree that he's not a good QB for this offense, but maybe I agree a little where the approach going into last year is concerned. Shurmur wanted to be more vertical last season, and that might've been part of the deal with bringing him in. I think they scaled that back a bit later on, and rightly so. Lock could not take care of the football in that offense. The reason I like Minshew, is because he can make big time plays with athletic receivers like the ones we have on this team (anybody can make plays with Sutton though, TBH), and he takes care of the football when he pulls the trigger. He has escapability, not like a Deshaun Watson, but a little bit like Jake Plummer, and that opens up big plays downfield. Does he need to hold on to the football better in traffic? Yes. If you go back and watch what he was doing with Chark, and imagine that's Sutton out there, you'll see what I'm getting at. Look, not only at his ability to extend, but see the field, and then look at his ball placement under 20 yards.

I think he's gotten a raw deal, because last year, they didn't want him to be good. They paid Foles all that money, and they wanted Foles to work. This year, not only did he fracture the hell out of his thumb, and then not tell the team, probably because he didn't want them to do it to him again, but they went into tank mode early. There was no way they were going to let him come back in. The Jaguars were really, really bad this year as well, and I think that all of these things have been a major factor in building a narrative about him that I don't believe is accurate.
      I don’t necessarily disagree with anything you said about him. The Fitzpatrick comparison is more due to how I think Minshew’s career will play out. He’ll probably bounce around and find some moderate success here and there but never enough for a team to commit to him. Which brings me to my next point, I do think the end goal with Shurmur is to be a vertical offense. Minshew will never be a great fit for an offense like that. Lock at least has the arm strength to be that guy. Rypien has a weaker arm than Minshew but they still have to compensate for it the same way, by having an almost abnormal feel for timing and guys coming open. Rypien played well against the Jets for the most part, and while the INTs were horrendous, it’s something he can improve on as he gains experience. Although with his arm he almost has to guess if a guy is coming open, because he has very little time to see it. He essentially has to be right in every single presnap read. Minshew doesn’t have to get it up as quickly as possible to fit the ball into a window and due to his mobility he can extend the play if it isn’t there so he is better than Rypien.

But for Minshew (and Rypien) to be successful you have to completely buy into their skill set. If you aren’t going to do that, then Minshew will likely never be viewed as more than a backup. And as long as Shurmur is running the offense, I do think we will continue to try and build to that vertical offense. Basically I don’t think Minshew takes us much further if at all than Lock would under Shurmur and I don’t think Minshew is enough of an upgrade over Rypien to justify trying to acquire him. Minshew would be a great fit for the Patriots though, lots of quick stuff underneath with a bevy of option routes. He isn’t Tom Brady, but that offense is ideal for his skill set.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

I don’t necessarily disagree with anything you said about him. The Fitzpatrick comparison is more due to how I think Minshew’s career will play out. He’ll probably bounce around and find some moderate success here and there but never enough for a team to commit to him. Which brings me to my next point, I do think the end goal with Shurmur is to be a vertical offense. Minshew will never be a great fit for an offense like that. Lock at least has the arm strength to be that guy. Rypien has a weaker arm than Minshew but they still have to compensate for it the same way, by having an almost abnormal feel for timing and guys coming open. Rypien played well against the Jets for the most part, and while the INTs were horrendous, it’s something he can improve on as he gains experience. Although with his arm he almost has to guess if a guy is coming open, because he has very little time to see it. He essentially has to be right in every single presnap read. Minshew doesn’t have to get it up as quickly as possible to fit the ball into a window and due to his mobility he can extend the play if it isn’t there so he is better than Rypien.

But for Minshew (and Rypien) to be successful you have to completely buy into their skill set. If you aren’t going to do that, then Minshew will likely never be viewed as more than a backup. And as long as Shurmur is running the offense, I do think we will continue to try and build to that vertical offense. Basically I don’t think Minshew takes us much further if at all than Lock would under Shurmur and I don’t think Minshew is enough of an upgrade over Rypien to justify trying to acquire him. Minshew would be a great fit for the Patriots though, lots of quick stuff underneath with a bevy of option routes. He isn’t Tom Brady, but that offense is ideal for his skill set.
        Fair enough. I agree about NE, but also SF. I think SF would be great for him. The thing about Denver though, is the kind of receivers we have. Maybe the catch and run style of Shanahan's mold would be a little better for him, but with where I think Jeudy will wind up as a guy who can get open (and catch the ball), Hamler being able to get separation vertically, and Sutton absorbing just about everything thrown to him, Minshew could shine. Not saying that Lock won't, though. I agree, Lock has all the arm talent you need. He's just going to have to put in the work, and take the next step, provided the team doesn't bail this offseason. If he's still the guy, I hope Drew surprises me next season like he surprised me as a rookie.

Comment

Working...
        X