Running back situation and draft.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running back situation and draft.

I know I've been banging the QB drum here, but the Broncos also don't have much of a ground game. Gordon's good, but he'll likely face a suspension, and that's about all the Broncos have as a real running back threat. Lindsay's good where he applies, but he's not an all-around RB, and he does have injury history. I don't know a lot about the RB's in the upcoming draft, but Najee Harris looks pretty darn good. He can make that first guy miss, he's big, can make the tough yards, and he can catch. Not sure how good he'd be picking up defenders, but his size will certainly help. The Vikings were pretty big on running backs, and if you can get Shurmur to help his QB out by upping the ground game, I think that'd be a pretty darn good thing.

The Broncos are so thin in the secondary and still need a lot of help on offense, so maybe trading back they can get a late first round and mid 2nd round pick, and possibly pick up a guy like Harris and their CB with those. Of course this is assuming they don't trade away their draft picks for a QB.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by DiveInstructor; 02-05-2021, 01:18 PM.

Assuming we bring back Lindsay on a RFA tender this offseason, that would mean both him and Gordon will be unrestricted free agents in 2022. Freeman’s contract also expires in 2022. We could be talking about our stable of RBs looking very different in a year or two.

I’m not opposed to a mid-round RB in the draft this year. I like Michael Carter and Kylin Hill in this class. I haven’t done much work on the RB pool overall, though.

Najee Harris is an absolute stud and I wouldn’t be surprised if he is taken late in the 1st. Even if he falls to us in the 2nd, I’m not sure we’d invest that kind of draft capital in a RB who would be a 3rd-stringer in his rookie year. I know I mentioned the above free agent situation, but it’s not urgent enough to warrant such a high pick on a RB— even for someone as talented and gifted as Harris. Then again, the Vikings (during Paton’s tenure) did not shy away from taking RBs in the first 3 rounds.
    Last edited by HDbroncos02; 02-05-2021, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I really like Jovante Williams out of UNC if we go RB. he has good size and speed. he is a great all around back and he should be there a bit later then Harris or Etienne but he has a massive upside. plus he will be a bit lower rated so there later then the other 2 rbs
      sigpic
      oakland raders gm
      latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm no talent expert, but I still try to figure out who will work and who won't. I'm of the mindset the offense really needs a kick in the tail to get it going. If the Broncos don't do much at the QB position, to me the next logical areas would be RB, since one great guy can make a big difference. Also wouldn't hurt to shore up that o-line. Who knows if James will show up...

Comment

Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post
          Thanks for the info, guys. I'm no talent expert, but I still try to figure out who will work and who won't. I'm of the mindset the offense really needs a kick in the tail to get it going. If the Broncos don't do much at the QB position, to me the next logical areas would be RB, since one great guy can make a big difference. Also wouldn't hurt to shore up that o-line. Who knows if James will show up...
          I don't trust James at all and hope he shows up so we can trade him next season.
          sigpic
          oakland raders gm

Comment

as others have said
            one of the 2 rb for north carolina.

think they both would be good. think carter goes a little later than williams. in a perfect world id pick up both
            Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

I don't trust James at all and hope he shows up so we can trade him next season.
              What would you hope to get for James?

Huge contract and disappointing performance is a hard sell.

I would not be surprised if any teams are willing to trade a late rd pick in return. Maybe if the Broncos agree to pay part of his salary as the only way.

I hope I'm wrong. Maybe he will prove us all wrong and return in shape, motivated and ready to prove himself to his teammates.

As to the RB question, I would be thrilled to see Harris added. Just don't think the Broncos will be willing to do so. And if they trade away several picks for Watson it is impossible. .

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

What would you hope to get for James?

Huge contract and disappointing performance is a hard sell.

I would not be surprised if any teams are willing to trade a late rd pick in return. Maybe if the Broncos agree to pay part of his salary as the only way.

I hope I'm wrong. Maybe he will prove us all wrong and return in shape, motivated and ready to prove himself to his teammates.

As to the RB question, I would be thrilled to see Harris added. Just don't think the Broncos will be willing to do so. And if they trade away several picks for Watson it is impossible. .
                if he comes in next year and plays lights out. we may be able to get something decent for him. Otherwise he will probably be cut.
                sigpic
                oakland raders gm

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                  I really like Jovante Williams out of UNC if we go RB. he has good size and speed. he is a great all around back and he should be there a bit later then Harris or Etienne but he has a massive upside. plus he will be a bit lower rated so there later then the other 2 rbs
                  That Williams guy does look good. He's got good size, and they're saying he could be a 3 down back. Looks like he's decent at making guys miss and pushing people around, as well.

Comment

If Najee Harris fell to our second round pick, I would be happy. I like Lindsay, but he gets banged up and has a hard time in short yardage situations because of his size. Gordon will probably be suspended. This is not a strong position group, in my opinion.
                    sigpic

Comment

everything ive seen has harris going no later than late first round. you never know though
                      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post
                        everything ive seen has harris going no later than late first round. you never know though
                        i could see him Drop just due to the fact of the Devalue of RBs, but i don't see him going past the early second.
                        sigpic
                        oakland raders gm

Comment

Id wait and try to grab Trey Sermon in the 3-4 rounds

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_In_Ohio View Post
                            Id wait and try to grab Trey Sermon in the 3-4 rounds
                            I think I agree with this, as much as I would LOVE to see Harris wearing a Bronco uniform, I think he is a 1st round pick. I don't see Paton making his 1st pick as a GM going for a RB. Sermon or Williams out of UNC in early mid rounds would be just as good, imo

Comment

Kyo - i was seeing a lot of that before the college playoffs/title game. not so much since
                              Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Working...
                              X