Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronco_In_Ohio
    replied
    Trey Sermon is the guy I would go after. Should be able to land him in round 3-4

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    That Williams guy does look good. He's got good size, and they're saying he could be a 3 down back. Looks like he's decent at making guys miss and pushing people around, as well.
    He's a complete back, he can run between the tackles, to the edge, over people through people, he can catch the ball well and he's very good in pass protection as well. I wouldn't be upset if the Broncos took Michael Carter (the other UNC RB) he might be a better pass catcher, and he offers more speed, but he's not as physical and doesn't do nearly as well in pass protection.

Plenty of looks at them in these highlights, Carolina rushed for 554 in this game, both RBs had massive games. Carter was 24 carries for 308 yards 2 touchdowns. Williams had 23 carries for 236 yards and 3 touchdowns.

[/QUOTE]

Seems like a similar situation a few years back with Nick Chubb/Sony Michel. They definitely remind me of them too. But yeah Williams is the real deal, gets to his landmark and gets upfield with an attitude.

Leave a comment:

• armedequation
    replied
    yeah id love to draft them in back to back rounds...

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    That Williams guy does look good. He's got good size, and they're saying he could be a 3 down back. Looks like he's decent at making guys miss and pushing people around, as well.[/QUOTE]

He's a complete back, he can run between the tackles, to the edge, over people through people, he can catch the ball well and he's very good in pass protection as well. I wouldn't be upset if the Broncos took Michael Carter (the other UNC RB) he might be a better pass catcher, and he offers more speed, but he's not as physical and doesn't do nearly as well in pass protection.

Plenty of looks at them in these highlights, Carolina rushed for 554 in this game, both RBs had massive games. Carter was 24 carries for 308 yards 2 touchdowns. Williams had 23 carries for 236 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Leave a comment:

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    I really like Jovante Williams out of UNC if we go RB. he has good size and speed. he is a great all around back and he should be there a bit later then Harris or Etienne but he has a massive upside. plus he will be a bit lower rated so there later then the other 2 rbs
    Good to see you've come around. When I started a thread on him earlier (probably around the game where UNC ran for 554 yards against Miami) I believe you said that we didn't need an RB. Williams is going to be special. Carolina had 4 players sit out the Orange Bowl, if the other 3 had stayed out and Williams had played the Tar Heels would have won that game.

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post

We are honestly in a perfect position at #9 to take the best OT besides Sewell. I sympathize with James as a person, but I honestly would not bet on his long-term outlook here. Grabbing Slater (who some experts have right up there with Sewell... also has RT experience) or even Darrisaw would not be very sexy, especially if the top CBs or LBs are still on board— but RT would be solved for 5+ years easily. I’m not opposed. As for mid-round options, taking James Hudson III in the 3rd round would be nice as a developmental pick.
    And even if James does come in and hold them off, it may not be the worst thing to slide that RT inside to OG and provide some competition there with how lackluster our interior was last season.

Leave a comment:

• HDbroncos02
    replied
    Originally posted by dgobronco View Post
    I don't think you can trust James to play or play well at RT. Plugging that hole either in FA or early in the draft benefits the run and pass. We also need to have some injury luck for a change. With the other pressing needs (CB, dline, ILB), I can't see spending a high pick in RB, but a later round pick makes sense.
    We are honestly in a perfect position at #9 to take the best OT besides Sewell. I sympathize with James as a person, but I honestly would not bet on his long-term outlook here. Grabbing Slater (who some experts have right up there with Sewell... also has RT experience) or even Darrisaw would not be very sexy, especially if the top CBs or LBs are still on board— but RT would be solved for 5+ years easily. I’m not opposed. As for mid-round options, taking James Hudson III in the 3rd round would be nice as a developmental pick.

Leave a comment:

• dgobronco
    replied
    I don't think you can trust James to play or play well at RT. Plugging that hole either in FA or early in the draft benefits the run and pass. We also need to have some injury luck for a change. With the other pressing needs (CB, dline, ILB), I can't see spending a high pick in RB, but a later round pick makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• listopencil
    replied
    Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post

I don't see Gordon as a running back other teams fear. I want me a Chubb or Jones. Gordon's decent, but he's not a freak. If the Broncos had a great passing attack and solid QB, Gordon would be fine. But, they don't, and it might be easier and cheaper to get a great RB than that top 5 QB. Lindsay is a gadget guy at best, and one with injury history. He's not going to block well, he's not a receiving back, and he's not going to get those tough yards consistently.

Saints made the playoffs. And, there are plenty of very good teams that have as much cap space as the Broncos (and some more) but with better records and good running backs (like the Browns).

Thankfully it's a cheap offense, because it performs like what they're paying for it. Note that we also have an expensive defense that isn't pushing the Broncos into the post season, either.
    Well, one of our problems with the running game has been the same as one of our problems with the passing game: Poor play from the O-Line. Lindsay doesn't seem to need the line to hold their blocks as long as Gordon, Gordon runs with more power than Lindsay. But neither Gordon nor Lindsay can overcome poor blocking and I don't know that looking for a back who can is the right step forward. On the other hand next season we may be looking at the best O-Line we've had in years. They do need to fix the starting RT position. I'm hoping for a 2nd round OT who can come in and take the spot as a rookie at some point during the season. But we're close to having a competent O-Line at long last.

Leave a comment:

• DENVERSB50CHAMP
    replied
    I do hope that Denver can and will honor and keep M.G.'s contract. The Thorn in the side is his DUI and Upcoming Suspension I find it hard to swallow that you shell out a Contract and now in 2021 for at least the First Few Games of the Season Denver will not have his services due to his Suspension so why pay for someone who is not in the Game? Plus we cannot count on Pat ( Lame OC ) to even call a Good Game Plan that includes Running The Ball the entire game so yeah stuck in a rut Denver is and will be until once again there is change. No Doubt about this, Denver has to start and stay strong this year if there is any hope for 2021. Denver cannot go 0-3 or 0-4 or 1-3 they have to strike hard and strike fast in 2021 No more lackadaisical performance coming out so Slow to Start any game in 2021 I am sick and tired of that.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    With the other needs we have (based on what we know today), I think RB can wait til 3rd round, at least. Good backs can be found easier than most positions.

Leave a comment:

• DiveInstructor
    replied
    Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
    I don't mean to spark a debate about Gordon, but aside from his off-field incident and fumbling issues... he was our best and most consistent offensive weapon all year. Arguably the best offensive player in 2020 besides Bolles. I don't know how you see him fight through contact and give it his all every week and say that he "shows up sometimes". I didn't like that we gave a RB $8M/year in free agency, but after seeing how Gordon impacted our offense... I would say he was worth it. I only consider his contract a negative if it somehow prevents us from tacking on those extra millions to seal potential deals for Simmons and/or Harris this offseason. We have one of the cheapest offenses in the entire NFL... sometimes it's okay to overspend for a key player if there is the cap space available. We're in good shape with the cap, we ain't the Saints for crying out loud (lol). And 2021 will also be Gordon's final year of his deal-- it's not like we locked him in long-term and our future is debilitated by his contract. We will be okay.

Lindsay is still on his rookie UDFA deal, so he has been significantly outproducing his contact, naturally. Not an Elway decision. Just a great find from the FO and scouting department.
    I don't see Gordon as a running back other teams fear. I want me a Chubb or Jones. Gordon's decent, but he's not a freak. If the Broncos had a great passing attack and solid QB, Gordon would be fine. But, they don't, and it might be easier and cheaper to get a great RB than that top 5 QB. Lindsay is a gadget guy at best, and one with injury history. He's not going to block well, he's not a receiving back, and he's not going to get those tough yards consistently.

Saints made the playoffs. And, there are plenty of very good teams that have as much cap space as the Broncos (and some more) but with better records and good running backs (like the Browns).

Thankfully it's a cheap offense, because it performs like what they're paying for it. Note that we also have an expensive defense that isn't pushing the Broncos into the post season, either.
    Last edited by DiveInstructor; 02-08-2021, 02:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HDbroncos02
    replied
    I don't mean to spark a debate about Gordon, but aside from his off-field incident and fumbling issues... he was our best and most consistent offensive weapon all year. Arguably the best offensive player in 2020 besides Bolles. I don't know how you see him fight through contact and give it his all every week and say that he "shows up sometimes". I didn't like that we gave a RB $8M/year in free agency, but after seeing how Gordon impacted our offense... I would say he was worth it. I only consider his contract a negative if it somehow prevents us from tacking on those extra millions to seal potential deals for Simmons and/or Harris this offseason. We have one of the cheapest offenses in the entire NFL... sometimes it's okay to overspend for a key player if there is the cap space available. We're in good shape with the cap, we ain't the Saints for crying out loud (lol). And 2021 will also be Gordon's final year of his deal-- it's not like we locked him in long-term and our future is debilitated by his contract. We will be okay.

Lindsay is still on his rookie UDFA deal, so he has been significantly outproducing his contact, naturally. Not an Elway decision. Just a great find from the FO and scouting department.

Leave a comment:

• DiveInstructor
    replied
    Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

There's a difference in teams QBs that draws free agents interest too. When you have a winner behind center other players will jump on board to ride his coat tails. Same thing Manning did for Denver....
    No doubt. But, if you have to overspend to get a player with questionables (which Gordon had), then you're probably making a mistake. Fortunately Elway didn't overpay for Lindsay. Sometimes Elway gets it.

Leave a comment:

• JvDub95
    replied
    Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post
    Unless Paton's really sharp and can overrule Elway and the sub-par coaches, the team won't fill the position well. Fournette was brought on with a $2M, 1 year contract, and he plays lights-out hard. The Broncos gave Gordon $8M a year for two years, and he shows up sometimes. There were a lot of FA's (and some still are) on the Broncos that are paid well beyond their production. The team hasn't had that special RB/run game in many years. I'm not confident the Broncos have the front office/coaches to work together and pull in strong players for reasonable contracts/draft cost. That includes at the RB position.
    There's a difference in teams QBs that draws free agents interest too. When you have a winner behind center other players will jump on board to ride his coat tails. Same thing Manning did for Denver....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X