Watson Intrigued by the Broncos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post

Come on man, obiously hes not going anywhere until they decide to trade him. Water is wet my man.

They wont sit on him until then. We know that. We also know they are one of the dumbest franchises. Yes, spite will make them (he and watson) do stupid things.
    That's why I wouldn't be shocked if they make him sit into this year. Obviously they're not going to sit on him until 2026, but they could and I wouldn't put it passed them to do that, which hurts them both, but because of spite.

Both sides are angry, both sides are hurt, but both sides need each other to get out of this mess. The best way forward, in my opinion, is for Watson to reach out to McNair and talk to him personally. Just tell him that you don't want to be with the franchise anymore and there's no way to repair the relationship. Doing that will make it clear to Houston that it's over, but it will do so in a respectful way. Right now with refusing to take respond to the Texans in any way, and apparently talking through the media is the way to get stupid results.

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

Has McNair publicly acknowledged telling Watson he would have input on decisions Watson has no business being apart of?

It appears O’Brien made a stupid promise.

If it was only O’Brien making such a promise, then Watson needs to definitely just grow the hell up. O’Brien was fired so any promise he made was null and void.

If McNair made a promise or implied a promise, then shame on him. However, he’s the owner and has every right to change his mind about such things, especially if he realized it was stupid to make such a promise or imply it.
      I know as much as you do. But I fault both sides in this, and as I mentioned in my last reply to another poster, until both sides are willing to come to the table and talk to each other, it's just going to continue to go poorly for all involved.

I'm not sure if you're a hockey fan at all, but there's a longtime NHL manager named Brian Burke. He's been around the game forever as a player agent, General Manager and team President, and he's been in the media until recently when he accepted a job with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Anyways he's a very candid guy who will always tell it like it is and he was asked about teams discussing moves with players. His response was that teams always want to treat every player equal but that's not the way it is. Your superstars are players that the team is heavily invested in and because of that you're always going to keep an open dialogue with them and they'll have knowledge of the moves.

I'm far from sympathetic to Watson's position, since he just signed his extension when all of this was already going on. However I also recognize that he's the face of the franchise, they just deemed him that by giving him a $177.5 million extension. As a result there's no way he should be finding out about other big parts of the team being traded through Twitter. No one is saying he should have had the chance to veto it, but there should have been a heads up given before the deal was made. As for the coaching search stuff, I don't actually think he wanted a seat in the room, nor do I think he would have been upset if they went a different way. But when you ask for feedback on who he'd like to see interviewed, or even just imply that you'll listen to his ideas, you probably should make good on that. Especially since both are viable Head Coaching candidates. And yes the Texans interviewed Bieniemy (someone who I don't think is a great candidate), but doing so only after all of this had come out just comes across as patronizing.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

I know as much as you do. But I fault both sides in this, and as I mentioned in my last reply to another poster, until both sides are willing to come to the table and talk to each other, it's just going to continue to go poorly for all involved.

I'm not sure if you're a hockey fan at all, but there's a longtime NHL manager named Brian Burke. He's been around the game forever as a player agent, General Manager and team President, and he's been in the media until recently when he accepted a job with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Anyways he's a very candid guy who will always tell it like it is and he was asked about teams discussing moves with players. His response was that teams always want to treat every player equal but that's not the way it is. Your superstars are players that the team is heavily invested in and because of that you're always going to keep an open dialogue with them and they'll have knowledge of the moves.

I'm far from sympathetic to Watson's position, since he just signed his extension when all of this was already going on. However I also recognize that he's the face of the franchise, they just deemed him that by giving him a $177.5 million extension. As a result there's no way he should be finding out about other big parts of the team being traded through Twitter. No one is saying he should have had the chance to veto it, but there should have been a heads up given before the deal was made. As for the coaching search stuff, I don't actually think he wanted a seat in the room, nor do I think he would have been upset if they went a different way. But when you ask for feedback on who he'd like to see interviewed, or even just imply that you'll listen to his ideas, you probably should make good on that. Especially since both are viable Head Coaching candidates. And yes the Texans interviewed Bieniemy (someone who I don't think is a great candidate), but doing so only after all of this had come out just comes across as patronizing.
        Good points.

When it comes to Bieniemy, Watson never gave Caserio a chance to interview Bieniemy before pissing and moaning.
        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
        You Mad Bro?
        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
          This whole debate may be for nothing, longtime Houston beat writer John McClain was on Denver radio today and said there's zero chance that Watson ends up in Denver. Granted it's just one more opinion, and we've seen various reports saying various things, but he's the most plugged in Houston reporter out there.
          We can sat there has been broncos saying lock is not the guy. Idc about best writers...I like to see what people that actually deal with the nfl and not people who just write it. That dude has not clue where Watson ends up. That's just his opinion. Please.
          Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie "$" Royal View Post

Sounds like you didn't read my post directed at you earlier in the thread. But I highly doubt spite will prevent Nick Caserio from trading Watson considering he wants his job for a long time. Watson can also be spiteful and "accidently" injure himself, like AB did to the raiders, guaranteeing at least some of his salary. Like you said, spite can make people do stupid things, so you can't rule that out as well.
            Clearly that guy doesn't want Deshaun here. Lol... let he talk....he is going to rebute everything anyone says....Like GM, PRESIDENTs, and Owners never lied before....

Nick would bc completely stupid to try to teach a player a lesson when he has a FRANCHISE to run. I hope he don't do it I bet he won't last three years there.
            Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

An aspect of all this that I wonder about is the Broncos own FO dysfunction. Why would Watson be interested in putting himself into this mess? Arguably not too far behind the Texans in terms of stability.

First year GM, HC on the hot seat, ownership issues just to name a few. Even if Watson is interested in the Broncos today, it could be upturned and changing tomorrow. How much of the Watson “intrigue” is based on Fangio and Shurmur? Or is he expecting them to be gone and he gets to be part of the selection process because he is in position to do so because the Broncos gave up so much to get him? Interesting times to say the least.

If truly interested in the move to the Broncos, my hope is he can help out on the trade details. Use his no trade clause as leverage to get ( or any team he chooses in reality) to lighten the needed trade package. I still think he remains in Houston at the end of fiasco. But we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                If truly interested in the move to the Broncos, my hope is he can help out on the trade details. Use his no trade clause as leverage to get ( or any team he chooses in reality) to lighten the needed trade package. I still think he remains in Houston at the end of fiasco. But we will see.
                This is why the Texans would be smart to play hard ball.

They have to let Watson know that they aren’t going to let him screw them over in a trade when he’s the one demanding the trade.
                My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                You Mad Bro?
                Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I am not going to blow sunshine anywhere. Our front office certainly has issues. That said, I don't see why Watson wouldn't want to come here. We have offensive and defensive talent, some of which he has played with. If Watson doesn't end up here it won't be because Watson didn't want to come here. It would likely be because Houston won't move him or they believe they got a better offer somewhere else.

Comment

They have to let Watson know that they aren’t going to let him screw them over in a trade when he’s the one demanding the trade.
                    I understand that approach. Just don't entirely agree with it. At some point they and Watson will need to sit in a room and make up and say their goodbyes. As I stated, I think they work it out and he remains in HOU because any deal they make to move him is going to feel like they got screwed. And to be clear, I'm on the fence on this idea of him staying. Is 51/49 too wishy washy?

Going to be interesting to see how long this lingers. Incorporating a new QB is not easy. IMO teams want them established and working on the next season now. Aspects of coaching, marketing, player chemistry, or FA/draft decisions are heavily effected by this move. There is a clock ticking on this. HOU/ Watson need to make some choices. Either repair the dysfunction or choose to move on. And this includes Watson. He needs to firmly state he is gone and behind the scenes set the trade destinations. Then HOU has to get their best deal from that team or two. Which in the end will ultimately feel like a bad deal to them.

"Hard ball" has its benefits, but it also has it's limitations when trying to find a compromise. But as I stated in my previous post. If the break-up occurs, why are the Broncos Watson's first choice?

Comment

You seem fixed on this "Watson's a problem" theme. I may not be reading all the right things, or watching the right shows, but I don't get a sense that he's a problem type. Given his experience as a young stud QB, who has lead his team to the AFC final, and has watched his organization make a mess out of things, I think he is entitled to speak up once in a while. If a QB has proven himself and is key in your advancement to The SB, you might be wise to listen. It would be much different if you had a solid team around an unproven QB, who has a penchant for speaking up.

Comment

I understand that approach. Just don't entirely agree with it. At some point they and Watson will need to sit in a room and make up and say their goodbyes. As I stated, I think they work it out and he remains in HOU because any deal they make to move him is going to feel like they got screwed. And to be clear, I'm on the fence on this idea of him staying. Is 51/49 too wishy washy?

Going to be interesting to see how long this lingers. Incorporating a new QB is not easy. IMO teams want them established and working on the next season now. Aspects of coaching, marketing, player chemistry, or FA/draft decisions are heavily effected by this move. There is a clock ticking on this. HOU/ Watson need to make some choices. Either repair the dysfunction or choose to move on. And this includes Watson. He needs to firmly state he is gone and behind the scenes set the trade destinations. Then HOU has to get their best deal from that team or two. Which in the end will ultimately feel like a bad deal to them.

"Hard ball" has its benefits, but it also has it's limitations when trying to find a compromise. But as I stated in my previous post. If the break-up occurs, why are the Broncos Watson's first choice?
                        Good points.

I don’t know why Denver would be his first choice or even a choice.

Why go to a team where the head coach is likely on the hot seat?

The OC is likely on the hot seat as well.

If you have other choices that don’t involve playing against Kermit twice a year, why not go with one of them?

If he had Russell Wilson’s resume, I would be kinda supportive of trading for him. He doesn’t so I’m not.
                        You Mad Bro?
                        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

That's a stupid and dumb thing to do. It's just a person that doesn't want Watson here thats all. The smart thing for them to do is to realize they have a FRANCHISE to run and not try to prove a lesson to one player.

I don't see these same people throwing so much salt in Watson but have nothing to say about wentz doing the exact same thing....hmm I wonder why????

Comment

Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post

That's a stupid and dumb thing to do. It's just a person that doesn't want Watson here thats all. The smart thing for them to do is to realize they have a FRANCHISE to run and not try to prove a lesson to one player.

I don't see these same people throwing so much salt in Watson but have nothing to say about wentz doing the exact same thing....hmm I wonder why????
                            Watson was a top 5 QB this year. Wentz was the second worst. there is a major difference between 2.
                            sigpic
                            oakland raders gm
                            latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post

Clearly that guy doesn't want Deshaun here. Lol... let he talk....he is going to rebute everything anyone says....Like GM, PRESIDENTs, and Owners never lied before....

Nick would bc completely stupid to try to teach a player a lesson when he has a FRANCHISE to run. I hope he don't do it I bet he won't last three years there.
                              Actually you couldn't be further from the truth. My preference would be for the Broncos to get Watson, and I'd probably be willing to give up a little more than other people. My ideal trade for him would be 2021 first, 2022 first and second, a conditional 2023 second which would probably end up a first, Lock and Bradley Chubb. But I wouldn't be upset by giving up both the 2023 first and second if needed.

But my points (which you ignore) are:
                              1. The Texans are dysfunctional
                              2. The guy in charge of everything in Houston, Jack Easterby, is completely unqualified for the job and power he has, and has risen to power by very unconventional means. Because of the power he has, and the fact Watson wants out because of him, I think there's a very big chance he'll attempt to make Watson sit. Power hungry people usually like to show off the power they have.
                              3. John McClain is very close to Texans ownership and management, when he says something that's generally the position of the team at that point in time.
                              4. Yes Watson has a no trade clause, but he can't just say he'll only play for one team, because the Texans could just refuse to trade him to that team and make him sit. He'll have to expand his list of teams (unless his preferred team is a team that gives the Texans what they want). Funny enough, that actually benefits Denver. Denver could be first on his list (unlikely) or he they could be third on his list, or lower, but if he needs to expand the teams that he's willing to play for in order to just get out of there, a team that's further down the list could be in position to get him if they can really blow the Texans away with their offer.

Final point, "Nick" isn't the one who will make this trade, he may be the guy who does the leg work but Jack Easterby has positioned himself into having complete control in Houston, he's the final say in whether they'll trade Watson and where they will ultimately trade him.

Comment

Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post
                                I am not going to blow sunshine anywhere. Our front office certainly has issues. That said, I don't see why Watson wouldn't want to come here. We have offensive and defensive talent, some of which he has played with. If Watson doesn't end up here it won't be because Watson didn't want to come here. It would likely be because Houston won't move him or they believe they got a better offer somewhere else.
                                I can see why a young qb would want to play with all this young offensive talent....if we change head coaches so what....he can't be much worse than
                                Vic or Bill so....ummmm..yea.

Comment

Working...
                                X