Watson Mock!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watson Mock!

What I originally thought was a crazy idea I am now willing to entertain. The Texans are claiming they aren't interested in trading DeShaun Watson, however, he is disgruntled and throughout history it has been proven the player usually wins these battles. So a trade is coming, will we make the move? Here's a quick mock offseason doing just that, enjoy!

Cuts:
    QB Jeff Driskel
    TE Nick Vannett

*These 2 moves put us at roughly 36 million in cap space

Re-sign:
    S Justin Simmons (5 yrs 75 mill) 2021 Cap Hit 10 mill
    DE Shelby Harris (3 yrs 24 mill) 2021 Cap Hit 8 mill
    S Will Parks (1 yr 1.5 mill)
    DE Jurrell Casey (3 yrs 24 mill) 2021 Cap Hit 5 mill
    LB Von Miller (3 yrs 33 mill) 2021 Cap Hit 11 mill

We do the obvious and re-sign our 2 star defensive FA's. We also extend and restructure Miller and Casey's contracts to ease the strain our cap and keep these 2 studs around for a championship window the next few years. I salivate at a d-line of Harris, Purcell, Casey, and Jones. Bringing Watson in puts us in WIN-NOW mode, keeping these guys around only helps that cause.

RFA's:

RB Philip Lindsay (2nd)
    WR Tim Patrick (2nd)
    LB A.J. Johnson (2nd)
    All others (original)

*Extending Von and Jurrell put us at around $45 million in space, after all these signings we are at 20 million in available cap space.

Free Agency:

QB Robert Griffin (1 yr 1.5 mill)
    RT James Hurst (1 yr 1 mill)
    CB William Jackson (3 yrs 19.5 mill) 2021 Cap Hit 4 mill

3 low-key depth signings. Jackson can actually start on the Outside if needed.

*Current Cap Space 15 million

***TRADE***

Broncos send;
    2021 1st (#9)
    2021 2nd (#41)
    2022 1st
    2022 2nd
    NT Mike Purcell
    LB Josey Jewell

Texans send;
    QB DeShaun Watson

There it is, much more than the Lions got in the Stafford deal. Texans said they want 2 defensive starters, Purcell and Jewell are rising stars and solid players. I think if Watson truly does force their hand, a deal like this is what they'll get.

*Dumping Purcell and Jewell's contract and picking up Watson's (who only has a 10 mill) cap hit this year puts us at around 10 million in leftover cap space, plenty to sign our draft class and have a little leftover for in-season signings.

Draft:

3. LB Baron Browing (Ohio St)
    4. RB Trey Sermon (Ohio St)
    5. CB Elijah Molden (Wash)
    6. RT James Hudson (Cincy)
    *6. S Reed Blankenship (MTSU)
    7. Edge Jonathan Cooper (Ohio St)
    7. NT Lorenzo Neal (Purdue)
    7. TE Briley Moore (Kansas St)

*We gain an extra 6th for this year and a conditional pick for next year from the Buffalo Bills for RB Melvin Gordon. By drafting Sermon and retaining Lindsay we don't need Gordon and this also frees up a little more money on the cap.

Now, everyone may be wondering what happens with Drew Lock? Paton uses his Minnesota connections and trades Lock and Tim Patrick to Minnesota for a 2022 2nd round pick. The Vikings get their possible heir apparent to Cousins, and also a stud WR to go with Thielen and Jefferson.

Watson will make our young offense go, and our veteran defense will keep us in every game. Bring on KC, this is how we win!

Looks promising. Appreciate all the thought put into the concept. No issues with the plan if that is how the off-season goes.

Just one question. What happens next year when Watson’s salary jumps up to over $40M?

Comment

I commend you for the work you put into this. I am on the "trade for Watson" team, so I was going to be fairly happy no matter what you posted. But there is a cost, and even I think it unwise to completely sell the farm...which you haven't. You were realistic with back to back 1st/2nds plus 2 starters. Not sure what they really want in players, but you gave them some D help. They may expect more in terms of quality, but we shall see.

I thought the Griffin signing was interesting. Just not on my radar. But I see how you maneuvered with a trade of Lock to acquire much needed draft capital, because it stings to lose your 4 top picks over two seasons. That is my thinking too, though not the same deal....if we lose too many quality picks, perhaps work a deal or two to reacquire some capital. That gets tricky though, because you need to feel comfortable letting more players go, and you need a trading partner or two...who will give fair value.

As for backs, I never worry about finding one on the draft. So if Gordon or even Lindsay had to go, it's not a big problem. Third and even fourth round backs can be first year starters.

Defensively you have kept Simmons, Chubb and Von...which did not seem possible...but who knows? In fact, we were lead to believe they want 2 O players, in one rumored deal. So if you can maintain that base of D players, and reinforce in FA and The Draft, we would likely start the season with two solid groups - O and D.

Again, thanks for the post and the effort!
      Last edited by CanDB; 02-14-2021, 09:16 AM.

Comment

not sure Houston would want Purcell or Jewell but honestly they could ask for any 2 defensive players and I'd still say when can I sign!!

Comment

Not sure NFL history proves the player wins these battles.

Still won’t buy Denver as an option until Schefter says it is.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Once again it's KWH's work:

Comment

I dont think thats enough to get Watson. I feel like a team will offer at least 3 first round picks
              sigpic
              oakland raders gm
              latavis murray trade bait

Comment

I don't think Jewell and Purcell are what they had in mind when it came to defensive starters. I would change Justin Simmons to 4yr/60m and then to make it a more realistic trade for Watson I would do Bryce Callahan, Malik Reed, and Mike Purcell. This way they can shore up on each level of the defense. DL, LB, and DB with an elite player (but not always available), in Callahan and two good starters, if not fantastic backups in both Reed and Purcell.
                sigpic

Credit Goes To JIM :salute!:

Comment

There are many variables involved...could be more 1sts, could be different combos of active players, could be could be more than Watson. But my conclusion is simple....

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                    Looks promising. Appreciate all the thought put into the concept. No issues with the plan if that is how the off-season goes.

Just one question. What happens next year when Watson’s salary jumps up to over $40M?
                    It doesn’t jump over 40 million, itd be 35 in 2022, 37 in 2023, and 32 the last 2 years.

Comment

If we do this, and we make the playoffs......you know it would be a wild card cause KC will have the division. Then, IF we loose in the first round....what would all the posters here say. Would all the excuses come pouring in ? Why don't we not sell the farm, stick with what we got and still make the playoffs as a wild card with a complete team and not a depleted team that still has prime draft picks. Any way....still appreciate the time and thought from the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

It doesn’t jump over 40 million, itd be 35 in 2022, 37 in 2023, and 32 the last 2 years.
                        I stand corrected. Thanks. I mistakenly was looking at "cap hit" instead of "base salary".

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post
                          If we do this, and we make the playoffs......you know it would be a wild card cause KC will have the division. Then, IF we loose in the first round....what would all the posters here say. Would all the excuses come pouring in ? Why don't we not sell the farm, stick with what we got and still make the playoffs as a wild card with a complete team and not a depleted team that still has prime draft picks. Any way....still appreciate the time and thought from the OP.
                          Huh...I would be ecstatic if he could pull that off with this team. He couldn't save the Texans from themselves, and the Broncos aren't much better. The run game has one guy looking at suspension, the other guy a limited scope player now with injury history, a right tackle that may or may not show up at all, much less play the entire season, and now multiple holes on the defense. Throw in an OC that Watson would have to compensate for, and the Broncos getting to the playoffs is a huge accomplishment. It's not like the Broncos are one puzzle piece away from being a playoff team. Heck, the team might be looking for coaches again in 2022.

I'm more inclined to warn those who think he'll turn things around here that he just may not, so don't be disappointed if he doesn't. And be prepared to stick by him, 'cause at the price the Broncos will pay and if he doesn't do good, they're gonna be stuck with him and won't have many options to go after another QB for a few years.
                          Last edited by DiveInstructor; 02-14-2021, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post
                            There will always be doubters, but if we make the playoffs with Watson at the helm, it got us to the first objective of every team...make the playoffs. Something we have failed to do for some time.

Comment

"I salivate at a d-line of Harris, Purcell, Casey, and Jones...*Dumping Purcell and Jewell's contract..."

Are these the same Purcell?

Also, I hope Denver doesn't offer S Justin Simmons 75M / 5 yrs
                              when his replacement can be found in rounds 3-5+ with players like
                              S Tariq Thompson, DB Robert Rochell, or DB Camryn Bynum.

That aside, I appreciate your post, but it's a no for me.

Denver has an opportunity to draft OT Penei Sewell to secure either tackle position for the next ten years.
                              I like LB Bradley Chubb, but I think he wasn't worth the hype over LG Quenton Nelson.

I salivate at an OL of Sewell, Nelson, Risner, *Muti, Bolles.

Instead, an OL of Bolles, Risner, Cushenberry, Glasgow, Sewell will suffice.
                              Sewell may very well be available at nine given past OT draft history.

A better option than Watson would be to trade up for QB Trevor Lawrence.
                              His rookie contract allows Denver to be aggressive in FA for the next five-years.

I doubt JAX values Watson over Lawrence.
                              Does Denver?
                              Last edited by mozzerpete; 02-14-2021, 09:53 PM. Reason: *Muti not Mauti.

Comment

Working...
                              X