Corner Back with the # 9 Pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corner Back with the # 9 Pick

So I am 100% convinced that Denver will be drafting a CB not a QB in this upcoming draft with that being said since Denver released AJ who is the best CB in the Draft worth picking at # 9? Is is Patrick Surtain?

Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    So I am 100% convinced that Denver will be drafting a CB not a QB in this upcoming draft with that being said since Denver released AJ who is the best CB in the Draft worth picking at # 9? Is is Patrick Surtain?
    some will say no due to scheme but i think fangio ran the scheme he did due to the personnel he had. I think surtain is the best cb in this draft class. I think you have better personnel then you have more freedom with your scheme.

i definitely see us drafting at least 1 cb and 1 safety
    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

I saw a couple mock drafts saying that they were going to pick a CB at 9 also.

Comment

There's going to be a lot of debate about Farley vs. Surtain on this board if CB looks like the direction the team is leaning towards in the first round. It became very apparent with the Ojemudia pick last year that Fangio is adamant about adding guys who will fit his scheme. Paton would be ill-advised to not give Fangio the best guys for his system this year.

With that being said, Fangio hardly ever employs press-man coverage. I think he only started doing that last season due to all the injuries that piled up late in the year. Fangio runs an assorted mix of off-man, zone, and match quarters (reading routes-- passing off assignments and taking on others in your area of responsibility). So basically, a prototypical Fangio corner is one that is smart, willing to tackle (and good at it), has good ball-skills, and strong click-and-close ability.

Here are the first-round locks, in my opinion.

Caleb Farley, Virginia Tech - 6'2" 207 lbs.
        + terrific length and speed, former WR (excellent ball-skills)
        + smooth change-of-direction ability, efficient hip transitions out of his pedal, closes quickly on the ball
        + willing in run support and tackling, unafraid to play physical

- gets caught out of position in coverage more than you'd like, plays a little rushed-- inconsistent mental processing
        - highly-inexperienced (and clunky) in press-man despite having the physical profile (58 career snaps)
        - needs to improve form tackling, had a lot of missed tackles

28.3 passer rating against (2019), 58.4 man grade, 91.9 zone grade (PFF)
        *opted-out in 2020-- also had a torn ACL during his freshman year

Patrick Surtain II, Alabama - 6'2" 202 lbs.
        + great size and ball-skills, battled-tested against some of the best in the SEC
        + very patient and has polished instincts
        + extremely consistent and sound in press-man coverage, experienced in man-match concepts

- speed and change-of-direction is a serious question mark
        - not an immediate fit as an outside corner in zone
        - inconsistent tackler in the open field, not much in the run defending department

70.8 passer rating against (2020), 69.4 man grade, 83.3 zone grade (PFF)
        *allowed only 2 TDs last year-- both happened to be the only 2 completions he gave up that had a depth of 20+ yards

Jaycee Horn, South Carolina - 6'1" 205 lbs.
        + alpha-dog mentality, plays physical with swagger and confidence
        + ideal size and length, awesome at the catch point
        + solid zone discipline and has good closing speed

- over-aggressiveness can get him in trouble, a little too grabby
        - occasionally "guessed" in coverage, sometimes reacted a little slow to route breaks
        - reckless tackling and doesn't really wrap up in his form, decent physicality against the run

51.7 passer rating against (2020), 67.9 man grade, 82.5 zone grade (PFF)
        *watch his Auburn game-- probably the most dominant game by a CB last year

In the end, I think Farley is the best fit for Fangio's defense-- both from a physical and schematic standpoint. Surtain is more pro-ready and experienced but has certain scheme limitations. Horn is probably not great value at #9, but I could see him being a possible target if we trade down to the mid-1st. Beyond the first round, I really like Greg Newsome II, Asante Samuel Jr., and Paulson Adebo as far as corners who I think would mesh well in a Fangio/Donatell secondary. Tyson Campbell and Eric Stokes are wild cards with upside, too.

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post

some will say no due to scheme but i think fangio ran the scheme he did due to the personnel he had. I think surtain is the best cb in this draft class. I think you have better personnel then you have more freedom with your scheme.

i definitely see us drafting at least 1 cb and 1 safety
          I would tend to agree, although I think he'll still run a lot of read coverage regardless of where they draft corners. It's a nice wrinkle that allows average corners to be good and would make great corners into all pros.

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
            Unless they trade for someone like Watson, I think it's a pretty good bet they pick either Surtain or Farley. I've seen a bunch of mock drafts saying the second easiest pick of this draft is Farley to Denver because his skillset is perfect for Fangio's D.

I wouldn't be upset with either of them, although I kind of hope they end up taking Micah Parsons, if his background check comes back clean...right now there are some big red flags that need to be looked into.

Comment

Apologies but I posted this in another thread, but if Sewell was still on board at 9, would you still take a CB?

Comment

Originally posted by BiscuitBronco View Post
                Apologies but I posted this in another thread, but if Sewell was still on board at 9, would you still take a CB?
                If we addressed CB in free agency and planned to add more in rounds 2-7, I’m all for it. A freakish, rare prospect like Sewell doesn’t come around often at OT.

Comment

It would be great if one of these guys Would slip a little, and maybe we could trade down, and get an extra pick and a good CB ????

Comment

One of the byproducts of the Broncos struggles is relying on the CB that best fits Fangio’s defense when there is uncertainty of whether he will even be in Denver by the end of next season.

Do any of those CBs fit the “next” Def Coords system?

Don’t envy Paton’s position. Trying to rebuild a roster with no clue what assets are going to be available or who survives the housecleaning. I hate the instability of the team. But until the first couple decisions are made (#9 gone in trade?) it has to be a wait and see process. And even then it will be easy to second guess themselves.

With this CB question. All quality players. But it is going to be tough to distinguish BPA and BPA that fits the system

Comment

Cb in the later round
                      Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                        One of the byproducts of the Broncos struggles is relying on the CB that best fits Fangio’s defense when there is uncertainty of whether he will even be in Denver by the end of next season.

Don’t envy Paton’s position. Trying to rebuild a roster with no clue what assets are going to be available or who survives the housecleaning. I hate the instability of the team. But until the first couple decisions are made (#9 gone in trade?) it has to be a wait and see process. And even then it will be easy to second guess themselves.

With this CB question. All quality players. But it is going to be tough to distinguish BPA and BPA that fits the system
                        I agree, it’s a tough situation (hypothetically) for Paton. In that case, I suppose you draft whoever you feel like has the best scheme versatility and football IQ to be able to excel no matter who is the DC. But until Fangio is actually no longer with the team, the GM has to add and draft guys who will get the most out of the current system.

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                          I agree, it’s a tough situation (hypothetically) for Paton. In that case, I suppose you draft whoever you feel like has the best scheme versatility and football IQ to be able to excel no matter who is the DC. But until Fangio is actually no longer with the team, the GM has to add and draft guys who will get the most out of the current system.
                          That’s why Paton gets the Big Bucks.

I am assuming it is easier to manage when you have a good idea of what the overall plan is. Since it is his plan!

Things like “ how likely they are to trade #9”? Or “ who do they plan on re-signing, trading or signing in FA” ?

All those dominoes are important. Not just for initial planning but back up plans too. The organizations that have stability in their coaches and consistent vision of who they are have such a huge advantage over the other teams. It would really be nice to see the Broncos get back to that level stability from ownership to players on the bench.

Hopefully Paton is the answer. Just going to be interesting to see how long it takes for him to get “his guys” in place.

Comment

Originally posted by BiscuitBronco View Post
                            No, I would take Sewell and he'd play RT. But I can't see him still being on the board, he and the Bengals seem like a perfect match.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

Fangio's D plays a lot of read coverage, which is initially a zone coverage (only at the very start) where defenders will read routes and pick up players based on what they do, at which point it becomes man coverage.

Those skills will translate to any new system.

Comment

Working...
                              X