Might be time to pump the brakes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

The Texans waiting would be bad for other teams.

For the Texans, it would verify one way or the other, Watson’s seriousness about not playing for them.

Why trade him before he actually proves he won’t play them?
    Kind of my long winded point.

The discussion continues to be "what would you be willing to give" when an equally as important question should be "how long are you willing to wait"?

Broncos are already a cluster, Reportedly a lame duck HC, OC and a vote of no confidence to destroy whatever progress the young QB may have had . Great way to start the off-season. Going to be tough to go back and tell Lock "we love you, trust us, now prove it."

Paton has his hands full with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
      The Texans holding onto Watson past the draft would be disastrous for them. GMs have a Plan A, B, and C. So if Watson isn’t made available, then teams will carry on with their plans. Any GM whose entire offseason plan ONLY revolves around getting Watson is probably not the smartest.

So let’s say they hold Watson... any 2022 draft picks they may seek to acquire will be unknown in terms of the exact range they will fall. Teams will have used up most of their cap space and those needy for a QB will probably have followed through with their plans (for the most part) by then. In other words, his trade value will not be any higher than it is right now.

As for Watson playing for them or not, I don’t know a single player who has requested a trade (with it becoming public) and continued to put their bodies on the line for that team. No matter how much money he is set to lose by sitting out— I guarantee that Watson will not play. He’s a superstar. He makes endorsement money. He will be fine. This Houston fiasco goes deeper than just him. This isn’t merely a little Watson vs. Texans issue, it’s a total Easterby/McNair plague. There will be no cute conversations in this business. Watson knows his worth and his potential. To play another down for the Texans would be detrimental to his career.

So, either way, the Texans lose. If they wait, they will lose even more. With that being said, they might as well accept they are going to lose and trade Watson for the best draft capital and return possible... which would be before the draft this offseason.
      I have said this time and time again....the texans are in a very bad spot bc FA Is about to start, what FA gonna sign with them with them not knowing who the qb is gonna be...

So they gonna enter the draft without addressing it. The texans need to suck their pride up, bite the bullet and trade Watson to us lol.
      Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post

I have said this time and time again....the texans are in a very bad spot bc FA Is about to start, what FA gonna sign with them with them not knowing who the qb is gonna be...

So they gonna enter the draft without addressing it. The texans need to suck their pride up, bite the bullet and trade Watson to us lol.
        To play Devil's Advocate... wouldn't your comment apply to the Broncos too?

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

To play Devil's Advocate... wouldn't your comment apply to the Broncos too?
          Not at all bc we have lock....we are not losing a top 5 qb.... we don't have media talking about our owner and gm, how they missed handled things, losing jj watt, having old players telling out current players to get out of there....its a big difference.
          Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
            The Texans holding onto Watson past the draft would be disastrous for them. GMs have a Plan A, B, and C. So if Watson isn’t made available, then teams will carry on with their plans. Any GM whose entire offseason plan ONLY revolves around getting Watson is probably not the smartest.

So let’s say they hold Watson... any 2022 draft picks they may seek to acquire will be unknown in terms of the exact range they will fall. Teams will have used up most of their cap space and those needy for a QB will probably have followed through with their plans (for the most part) by then. In other words, his trade value will not be any higher than it is right now.

As for Watson playing for them or not, I don’t know a single player who has requested a trade (with it becoming public) and continued to put their bodies on the line for that team. No matter how much money he is set to lose by sitting out— I guarantee that Watson will not play. He’s a superstar. He makes endorsement money. He will be fine. This Houston fiasco goes deeper than just him. This isn’t merely a little Watson vs. Texans issue, it’s a total Easterby/McNair plague. There will be no cute conversations in this business. Watson knows his worth and his potential. To play another down for the Texans would be detrimental to his career.

So, either way, the Texans lose. If they wait, they will lose even more. With that being said, they might as well accept they are going to lose and trade Watson for the best draft capital and return possible... which would be before the draft this offseason.
            Yes....sometimes you got to read the tea leaves and just accept what's before you. That is, if you think like most people.

Houston knows by now that Watson wants nothing to do with them. Houston also knows that he is a highly valued commodity. So, if they have the wherewithal they should have shifted from wasting energy on keeping Watson (however that would go) and transition to a more productive scenario..."what can we get for him, and when is the best time to deal"?? And once they arrive at that point, they will likely realize that the best time is not too far away, for several reasons. 1) Teams that want him will probably make for a healthy competition, given they want to solidify their offseason roster strategy relatively soon, especially at the QB position. 2) Houston also needs to plan for their 2021 season, including who will lead the team. This can not wait too long, and may require a serious scouting effort of QB draftees. 3) As other teams get closer to the draft, they might be forced to execute plan B or C, or whatever, rather than wait for Watson. At some point they may even pull out of the competition because they do not want to be left holding the bag when all good QB options are diminishing. Therefore Houston's list could get shorter and the lost collective power of multi team interest could result in a lower trade offer.

For me, this should be resolved within a few weeks. No reason to have too much scrambling near The Draft....and that includes Houston.
            Last edited by CanDB; 02-20-2021, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

Kind of my long winded point.

The discussion continues to be "what would you be willing to give" when an equally as important question should be "how long are you willing to wait"?

Broncos are already a cluster, Reportedly a lame duck HC, OC and a vote of no confidence to destroy whatever progress the young QB may have had . Great way to start the off-season. Going to be tough to go back and tell Lock "we love you, trust us, now prove it."

Paton has his hands full with this one.
              How long am I willing to wait? Well seeing as how we haven’t had good QB play for 6 years now, my patience is a bit thin especially with a top QB that’s only 25 seemingly available.

That isn’t to say I don’t believe in Lock, I still think he turns this thing around, but he isn’t getting us to where Watson could take us anytime soon.

Comment

The Texans waiting would be bad for other teams.

For the Texans, it would verify one way or the other, Watson’s seriousness about not playing for them.

Why trade him before he actually proves he won’t play them?
                But if he tells them he's not going to play for them (reportedly he hasn't even tried to talk to the Texans) then it should clear things up, and it would make sense for them to maximize the return this year.

It makes sense for both sides for Watson to have a Zoom meeting with Cal McNair and tell him one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

But if he tells them he's not going to play for them (reportedly he hasn't even tried to talk to the Texans) then it should clear things up, and it would make sense for them to maximize the return this year.

It makes sense for both sides for Watson to have a Zoom meeting with Cal McNair and tell him one way or the other.
                  If the Texans aren’t willing to completely jeopardize this season I agree with you.

If they are willing to jeopardize this season on the hope that Watson will come to his senses, it totally makes sense for them to make him prove he won’t play for them.
                  My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                  You Mad Bro?
                  Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Reading this makes me say this: we have a journalist, who is known to close to the ownership, saying he wont go to Denver and the Jets are the closest to the deal.

Let's try a what if

What if Dehsaun Watson already delivered the franchise where he'd like to go? I bet the Jets would not be in the run, the Dolphins would be suprising also ( hey it's nothing but a trainwreck for years there also). The panther are a interesting opportunity but they are in a rebuild mode like us, maybe further even. The CHoice would ben Bridgewater or lock plus picks...

What if the Texans are in a bad posture, not getting what they want in compensation from the contenders ( Mia, MYJ, Panthers, Broncos). Could the owner make a call to a writer to call up a radio with the only real trade partner they might have to make believe they are farther than reality and get more compensation.

What if they actuelly keep him? As things go down they will force him to get back in the facility, he will sit down and show up at the end of the year to make his 4 last game play against his contract . they would still have a disgrunted star player, missed out on a compensation that will clearly be lower next year ( a qb sitting a year is not about to get a better value) and they wont have ammos to adress the position this years

:logo:Canadian Denver Bronco Fan #7:logo:

Adopted Broncos:
                    -:Mr. Decker:-

Comment

If the Texans aren’t willing to completely jeopardize this season I agree with you.

If they are willing to jeopardize this season on the hope that Watson will come to his senses, it totally makes sense for them to make him prove he won’t play for them.
                      The argument can be made that Houston doesn't care if Watson sits out 2021. We know that they are not a playoff caliber team, so only winning a handful of games is a foregone conclusion. They can simply let Watson sit and roll with a vet FA and address this next off season. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Louich View Post
                        Reading this makes me say this: we have a journalist, who is known to close to the ownership, saying he wont go to Denver and the Jets are the closest to the deal.

Let's try a what if

What if Dehsaun Watson already delivered the franchise where he'd like to go? I bet the Jets would not be in the run, the Dolphins would be suprising also ( hey it's nothing but a trainwreck for years there also). The panther are a interesting opportunity but they are in a rebuild mode like us, maybe further even. The CHoice would ben Bridgewater or lock plus picks...

What if the Texans are in a bad posture, not getting what they want in compensation from the contenders ( Mia, MYJ, Panthers, Broncos). Could the owner make a call to a writer to call up a radio with the only real trade partner they might have to make believe they are farther than reality and get more compensation.

What if they actuelly keep him? As things go down they will force him to get back in the facility, he will sit down and show up at the end of the year to make his 4 last game play against his contract . they would still have a disgrunted star player, missed out on a compensation that will clearly be lower next year ( a qb sitting a year is not about to get a better value) and they wont have ammos to adress the position this years

I wouldn't sleep on Carolina being the team to land Watson. I don't have the link to the source, but I heard on the Mile High Huddle that Carolina is offering 3 first round picks, 2 second round picks AND Christian McCaffery. (sp)

Comment

Originally posted by darryn16 View Post

The argument can be made that Houston doesn't care if Watson sits out 2021. We know that they are not a playoff caliber team, so only winning a handful of games is a foregone conclusion. They can simply let Watson sit and roll with a vet FA and address this next off season. IMO
                          We are in agreement on that.
                          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                          You Mad Bro?
                          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by darryn16 View Post

I wouldn't sleep on Carolina being the team to land Watson. I don't have the link to the source, but I heard on the Mile High Huddle that Carolina is offering 3 first round picks, 2 second round picks AND Christian McCaffery. (sp)
                            I wouldnt sleep on them either but they are not offering Cmac. That entire trade was just Peter King speculating on what each team will have to give up. That said, they are clearing space to make a run at him. They will not be getting rid of Cmac though.
                            So far:
                            FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                            1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

I can get on the thinking of Carolina, that said the price would be heavy for that mock trade IMO ( all the picks plus C Mac is saying we are all in on you and we sont have ammos in the next 3 years to surround you and the only top player that could change the focus fo the defense was traded, sorry. If they do move Watson to Car the team need to keep C Mac IMO
                              :logo:Canadian Denver Bronco Fan #7:logo:

Adopted Broncos:
                              -:Mr. Decker:-

Comment

If cmac is apart of the trade Watson won't be going there

Comment

Working...
                                X