Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Draft QB evals (Last Call for Alcohol!)....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Draft QB evals (Last Call for Alcohol!)....

It might only be me, but it seems that the closer we get to the draft, the more attractive QBs become. Is that just me, or do you see the same?

Reason I bring it up is the talk on the local sports station about Mel Kyper's (sp?) mock draft has the Broncos trading back and letting New England get Trey Lance. If I recall correctly, Lance wasn't in the top 10 draft pick conversation a few months ago. Same with Mac Jones. But, now many are saying if the Broncos moved back and didn't get either, there would be an uproar.

My worthless opinion, which I'm happy to share, is that the #9 pick (or trade up) ends with the top 3 (Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields). Even Fields starts to become a bit of a stretch to me, since he did play with Ohio State, and they have a pretty strong team, usually. I watched a bit of him and he was ok, but he's not the magical solution. Lance and Jones have too many areas of improvement or lack of fit that I'd say grab them only if the Broncos traded back....but then you might be stuck with another project like Lock.

Your opinions? How desperate do you get when it's nearing last call? LOL.....
    Last edited by DiveInstructor; 02-25-2021, 06:56 AM.

Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post
    It might only be me, but it seems that the closer we get to the draft, the more attractive QBs become. Is that just me, or do you see the same?

Reason I bring it up is the talk on the local sports station about Mel Kyper's (sp?) mock draft has the Broncos trading back and letting New England get Trey Lance. If I recall correctly, Lance wasn't in the top 10 draft pick conversation a few months ago. Same with Mac Jones. But, now many are saying if the Broncos moved back and didn't get either, there would be an uproar.

My worthless opinion, which I'm happy to share, is that the #9 pick (or trade up) ends with the top 3 (Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields). Even Fields starts to become a bit of a stretch to me, since he did play with Ohio State, and they have a pretty strong team, usually. I watched a bit of him and he was ok, but he's not the magical solution. Lance and Jones have too many areas of improvement or lack of fit that I'd say grab them only if the Broncos traded back....but then you might be stuck with another project like Lock.

the qb landscape around the league has drastically changed since a few months ago. I rate jones higher than lance but thats just me. It really all depends on which way the broncos go. if they want to load up on ammo to get watson, trading back makes sense IF they can get a first rounder next year. trading that far back, getting one of the top cb in the draft AND getting a first round pick is pretty good to me.

I wouldnt call us desperate. it would be desperate if we were going into the season with driskel as our qb. Im not saying that we are in the best position either but i think things could be a lot worse
    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post

the qb landscape around the league has drastically changed since a few months ago. I rate jones higher than lance but thats just me. It really all depends on which way the broncos go. if they want to load up on ammo to get watson, trading back makes sense IF they can get a first rounder next year. trading that far back, getting one of the top cb in the draft AND getting a first round pick is pretty good to me.

I wouldnt call us desperate. it would be desperate if we were going into the season with driskel as our qb. Im not saying that we are in the best position either but i think things could be a lot worse
      LOL...Driskel's stats and Lock's aren't terribly different. Sure, there's a difference with the eye test but.....LOL

I'm curious what Watson really wants to see, if he's stuck there until next year? Might not be simply more players here. Curious what he thinks of Fangio and Co., as well as the ownership situation? The new GM? And, an even bigger question is will Watson be a game changer if he's brought here? The expectation by many might be Manning, but the execution could end up Kirk Cousins.

Comment

If Watson isn’t moved prior to the draft, it certainly looks like the Jaguars, Jets, and Panthers will take a QB. Maybe even the Falcons. I could honestly see 5 QBs going in the top 10.

Lance has far-and-away the best physical skillset of all the QBs this year, and by all accounts he is an even better leader, teammate, and person. Because of his athleticism and rushing ability, he’s a high floor prospect even with his various flaws (similar to Josh Allen— who I thought was going to be a bust, but I’ve since changed the way I evaluate QBs). I could see him going as high as #4 to ATL or as low as #12 to SF. I think we see a team trade up for him (whether that be SF, NE, or WFT).

Jones had one of the best seasons in college football for a QB. Of course, he had a star-studded supporting cast. But he was a Heisman finalist for a reason. I’m not overly concerned with his arm. Give me someone who passes accurately and with touch, over someone with a cannon for an arm. He has plenty enough zip to get balls into tight windows and make every throw in the NFL. I actually see him as an extreme darkhorse pick for us at #8 (great fit in the Shurmur offense). Ultimately, a team will probably trade up for him. I could see the likes of SF, NE, WFT, and even CHI being interested.

Comment

I don’t think Lock is the answer but I think having him going into 2021 is the best fall-back option. If he does well, awesome. If he flops, Paton will blow up the coaching staff and the QB position in 2022. A lot of key personnel will be free agents by then, too. So a real rebuilding project could be on the table that year.

As for me, I’m all-in on Justin Fields (if not for Watson). This guy’s footwork is just beautiful. I’ve watched tons of his throws and if there’s one common denominator, his feet are always planted and set in the optimal position for launch. Even on off-platform throws, his feet don’t betray his mechanics. Another huge thing is his eyes. He’s already manipulating safeties and defenders with his eyes at such an advanced level for a 21-year-old. Fields is deadly accurate. I actually thought he had a good game against Alabama in the title matchup. Quite simply, he’s a playmaker and knows how to make a defense pay for making mistakes. His legs and mobility are a plus, but he’s not going to rush for 500+ yards in a season.

Comment

I hate how much QBs rise when games aren’t being played. If you had QB A with a mid to late first grade at the end of the season how on earth do they move up to being a potential top 3 pick? Either they weren’t really studying them throughout the season or they’re just trying to be right in terms of where said QB is actually drafted. I understand it for teams who get to interview these guys and really dig into their mental process but not for the talking heads.

I had a 2nd round grade on Mayfield when he came out. And to this point I’d say I was much closer with the 2nd round grade than the No. 1 overall pick.

Comment

there was talks last year of lance working in to the top ten. i saw some mocks after last season for this years draft with Lance going in the top 10. either way i think Justin Fields, Wilson and Lawrence all look really good. Lawrence is a lock to go number 1 over all to the jags. so he wont be available and i here Wilson is a near lock for the jets. it really matters what happens after that. also Kipers mocks are normally a bit off.
              sigpic
              oakland raders gm
              latavis murray trade bait

Comment

i think wilson to the jets may not be as much of a lock (no drew lock pun intended). i can easily see them staying with darnold, making a trade with the falcons and still get sewell

dive- lock is a much better qb than driskel
                Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post

dive- lock is a much better qb than driskel
                  Well, since Driskel's a 6th round pick that's bounced around the league for several years, that isn't saying much. And, numbers-wise, Driskel isn't that far off. His accuracy percentage is about what Lock's is, and he held on to the ball better than Lock through his few starts. About all I'm saying is Driskel is a guy who can qualify for a backup QB, and only for a short period of time with any one team. Unless Lock ups his game, he might end up being much of the same. What I've seen from Lock, and what many have, encourages the conversation of the Broncos looking for their QB. I wouldn't hang my hat on Lock's hat rack based on how good he is compared to Driskel.

Comment

Well, since Driskel's a 6th round pick that's bounced around the league for several years, that isn't saying much. And, numbers-wise, Driskel isn't that far off. His accuracy percentage is about what Lock's is, and he held on to the ball better than Lock through his few starts. About all I'm saying is Driskel is a guy who can qualify for a backup QB, and only for a short period of time with any one team. Unless Lock ups his game, he might end up being much of the same. What I've seen from Lock, and what many have, encourages the conversation of the Broncos looking for their QB. I wouldn't hang my hat on Lock's hat rack based on how good he is compared to Driskel.
                    Keep in mind that things get much harder for a QB once they start 10+ games because DCs get a lot of tape on them, and can make very specific game plans that target their weaknesses. This is why you see QBs like Siemian/Lock/Minshew come roaring out of the gate and then fall quickly back to earth: DC's start to figure them out and make specific plans. The great QBs keep evolving and start shoring up weaknesses and making counterplans.

Driskel has never been a starter long enough for DCs to care enough to figure him out. The fact that he's putting up the same numbers as Lock against a general defensive plan shows he's significantly worse.

Comment

As a Fan getting Lance or Fields @ 9 seems like an awesome idea. Wilson probably goes way sooner than 9. What the Denver front office views as how desperate the QB situation is might not line up with taking a QB at 9. Both Fields and Lance could end up being better than Lock by the end of this year.

Comment

QB value definitely inflates the closer you get to the draft. FOMO kicks in, and teams start looking for what they want to be true rather than what is true.

Seems to happen with Tackle, too. There's such a shortage of quality at both positions that teams take big chances on both positions.

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                          If Watson isn’t moved prior to the draft, it certainly looks like the Jaguars, Jets, and Panthers will take a QB. Maybe even the Falcons. I could honestly see 5 QBs going in the top 10.

Lance has far-and-away the best physical skillset of all the QBs this year, and by all accounts he is an even better leader, teammate, and person. Because of his athleticism and rushing ability, he’s a high floor prospect even with his various flaws (similar to Josh Allen— who I thought was going to be a bust, but I’ve since changed the way I evaluate QBs). I could see him going as high as #4 to ATL or as low as #12 to SF. I think we see a team trade up for him (whether that be SF, NE, or WFT).

Jones had one of the best seasons in college football for a QB. Of course, he had a star-studded supporting cast. But he was a Heisman finalist for a reason. I’m not overly concerned with his arm. Give me someone who passes accurately and with touch, over someone with a cannon for an arm. He has plenty enough zip to get balls into tight windows and make every throw in the NFL. I actually see him as an extreme darkhorse pick for us at #8 (great fit in the Shurmur offense). Ultimately, a team will probably trade up for him. I could see the likes of SF, NE, WFT, and even CHI being interested.
                          I agree with you about Jones. He and Wilson are the only two QBs I really would like Denver to get from this draft. I think Lawrence is good, but I don't think he's as good as the hype. And because of how much hype there is I think is inevitable that he'll be considered a bust. He could end up being a good QB, but people have claimed "best prospect since John Elway" so if he doesn't lead his team to the playoffs in the first few years, and win Super Bowls, he'll get the bust label. Which will be unfair, but that's the world we live in. Because of that I'd stay away from him. Too much outside noise.

Comment

Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post

As a Fan getting Lance or Fields @ 9 seems like an awesome idea. Wilson probably goes way sooner than 9. What the Denver front office views as how desperate the QB situation is might not line up with taking a QB at 9. Both Fields and Lance could end up being better than Lock by the end of this year.
                            The problem with Lance is that he's going to need a couple of years to become an NFL passer. And we've seen the impatience the Broncos fanbase has a whole towards developing QBs. If the Broncos take Lance at 9, there will be a segment of fans demanding they choose another QB next year because Lance didn't immediately look like Patrick Mahomes. Incidentally, like Mahomes. Lance should probably fully sit for a year.

Comment

If we’re intent on getting a QB through the draft I’d just take Jamie Newman. Had he played he’d be right in the thick of the conversation for the 2nd QB taken. It gives Lock some competition and it probably gives Newman a year to really hone his craft. His potential is as high as anyone in this class and he’s a way better value than them even if he’s taken in the 2nd.

Comment

Working...
                              X