former hc thinks jones over lawrence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• former hc thinks jones over lawrence

So june jones has mac over lawrence. Its a pretty interesting article so i figured id share it and see what you guys thought

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si....-the-nfl-draft

“Mac’s deep-ball accuracy is probably the best that I have graded in my years of coaching quarterbacks,” Jones said. “He’s almost at 55 percent at over 20 yards, which is unbelievable."

Last edited by armedequation; 02-25-2021, 12:34 PM. Reason: edited to link original article which had more content
    Glen Haven Fire

While I think Jones can very well end up being a solid QB I do not agree with this logic. His deep ball passing percentage is inflated by the group of WRs he had to throw to. Smith, Waddle, and Mechie are all going to be 1st round picks, he also had a very solid and a strong running game that made it hard to pressure him. But the other thing I hate about this stat in regards to college football is the distance between the hash marks. If you’re all the way on the right side of the hash and you put any of those WRs in the slot on the other side, there’s just too much space to try and cover. Even NFL CBs would likely struggle in that type of situation. But Jones won’t have that benefit in the NFL and I think it really makes him a very tough evaluation.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
      While I think Jones can very well end up being a solid QB I do not agree with this logic. His deep ball passing percentage is inflated by the group of WRs he had to throw to. Smith, Waddle, and Mechie are all going to be 1st round picks, he also had a very solid and a strong running game that made it hard to pressure him. But the other thing I hate about this stat in regards to college football is the distance between the hash marks. If you’re all the way on the right side of the hash and you put any of those WRs in the slot on the other side, there’s just too much space to try and cover. Even NFL CBs would likely struggle in that type of situation. But Jones won’t have that benefit in the NFL and I think it really makes him a very tough evaluation.
      while you make a valid point, hes not comparing a college qb to an nfl qb. hes comparing college qbs only. His stat is better than lawrence in that respect. i feel the need to bring this up only because ive seen numerous questions about his ability to throw the deep ball. Not just that but also his accuracy on said deep ball

i also probably should have specified the part about how hes watching the reciever during the throw and not his throw, which i thought was important.
      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Lawrence seems to have lost some of his lustre, reports are that several teams have Wilson over Lawrence as QB1. Tim Jenkins has Wilson at QB1, Lawrence at QB2 and Jones at QB3.

But this isn't unprecedented, some people liked Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning, and some liked RGIII over Andrew Luck. Smes to happen when there's a QB who's been the expected first overall pick for several years.

It'll be interesting to see if it's actually something that is legitimate, or if it's just scouts have had so long with Lawrence as their 1st overall pick this year that they're making minor things into bigger things.

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post
          So june jones has mac over lawrence. Its a pretty interesting article so i figured id share it and see what you guys thought

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si....-the-nfl-draft

“Mac’s deep-ball accuracy is probably the best that I have graded in my years of coaching quarterbacks,” Jones said. “He’s almost at 55 percent at over 20 yards, which is unbelievable."

i mean theres a reason June Jones lasted 2 years as a hc in nfl.
          sigpic
          oakland raders gm
          latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
            Lawrence seems to have lost some of his lustre, reports are that several teams have Wilson over Lawrence as QB1. Tim Jenkins has Wilson at QB1, Lawrence at QB2 and Jones at QB3.

But this isn't unprecedented, some people liked Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning, and some liked RGIII over Andrew Luck. Smes to happen when there's a QB who's been the expected first overall pick for several years.

It'll be interesting to see if it's actually something that is legitimate, or if it's just scouts have had so long with Lawrence as their 1st overall pick this year that they're making minor things into bigger things.
            I really enjoy his channel. He does a thorough breakdown and I was also surprised about him putting Wilson over Lawrence...but he at least backed it up with his evidence of his video breakdown. But if I remember correctly, he also has Fields as number 4 of his QB breakdown too...which I completely agree with...just not a fan of him.
            New England Patriots GM

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post

while you make a valid point, hes not comparing a college qb to an nfl qb. hes comparing college qbs only. His stat is better than lawrence in that respect. i feel the need to bring this up only because ive seen numerous questions about his ability to throw the deep ball. Not just that but also his accuracy on said deep ball

i also probably should have specified the part about how hes watching the reciever during the throw and not his throw, which i thought was important.
              Well compared to Lawrence I do expect his percentage to be higher. Lawrence can be really inconsistent down the field where as Jones has to be a lot more safe with his throws. I’d argue Jones has a higher percentage because while they’re still considered deep passes, they’re generally safer higher percentage throws to begin with.

But projecting them in the NFL, I don’t see Jones being better. He could be, absolutely, but his ceiling definitely isn’t anywhere near as high. The good thing for Jones is that he’s likely going to be on a better team and he already knows how to compensate for his arm. Lawrence likely will need more time to adjust to the speed of the game.
              Last edited by beastlyskronk; 02-26-2021, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

Well Lawrence was never as good as the hype. He’s a great college QB, don’t get me wrong, but his hype levels were astronomical. When you’re called a generational QB for so long it’s easy to go back after awhile and say well generational QBs don’t make this mistake.

It’s just that time of the draft process where QBs rise and fall for most inane reasons and since they’re QBs they rise or fall in chasms instead of moving a few spots.

Comment

Jones could be another Peyton Manning.

Manning had an average arm at best but he was accurate and had touch and was a relentless machine at breaking down tape and improving his game.

If Jones has a similar work ethic, I could see him going far in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny_Quest View Post

Manning had an average arm at best but he was accurate and had touch and was a relentless machine at breaking down tape and improving his game.

some articles that talk about his work ethic:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si....hart/mac-jones

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nflmock...sarkisian/amp/

"Sark on Mac Jones and DeVonta Smith: "These guys prepare better than anybody right now on offense for us in their preparation for the game, and it shows in the way they play the game. Their preparation is at the highest level. They remind me of NFL players when it comes to that."
                    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny_Quest View Post

I see Jones in the prior QB comparison...Ceiling = Phillip Rivers, Floor = Kyle Orton.
                      New England Patriots GM

Comment

I'll be soooo happy if we get Jones. Gotta take a chance. I'd rather have smarts and accuracy than big arm alllll day long.

Comment

Working...
                        X