Other possibilities at #9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other possibilities at #9

The general consensus among the mock drafts is Broncos going CB. I, myself, have been on taking Farley or Surtain.

But, the more I think of it, I'm starting to think about other options, if we don't make a trade and stay at #9.

Two players I like is Northwestern OT Rashawn Slater and Notre Dame LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah.

Slater could be our future RT and give us our bookend tackles and Owusu-Koramoah is a very versatile LB, which we need, and I am starting to prefer him over Parsons, the more I read up on him.

Obviously, free agency can change things, but, I am starting to consider other possibilities the Broncos could go with.

Just curious to get some thoughts on other positions, seeing as CB and QB have been the most talked about lately.

#9 is way to early for JOK he will probably end up going in the 20ties or so. he may be a decent LB but he does lack size and seems very average outside of coverage. what makes him interesting is his speed but he is still a bit undersized.

i wouldn't mind Slater but no OT outside Slater and Sewell is worth the 9th pick.
    sigpic
    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
      #9 is way to early for JOK he will probably end up going in the 20ties or so. he may be a decent LB but he does lack size and seems very average outside of coverage. what makes him interesting is his speed but he is still a bit undersized.

i wouldn't mind Slater but no OT outside Slater and Sewell is worth the 9th pick.
      Agree about no other OT at #9 other than Slater or Sewell.

Owusu-Koramoah is someone I could see moving up the draft boards as we go through pro days. Not saying that it means he should, or will, be selected that high, but it wouldn't surprise me if he has an exceptional pre-draft process. The supposed off-field incident with Parsons is a bit concerning. One can hope it's not true. I would like Parsons, but, these kinds of red flags are troublesome.
      Last edited by sra84; 02-28-2021, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post

Agree about no other OT at #9 other than Slater or Sewell.

Owusu-Koramoah is someone I could see moving up the draft boards as we go through pro days. Not saying that it means he should, or will, be selected that high, but it wouldn't surprise me if he has an exceptional pre-draft process.
        maybe i just don't see a LB at 6'1 215 surviving in the nfl as a three down guy. sounds like he could be a major liability against the run. the only LBer i can think of to survive and look good at that size is Telvin Smith. Smith was also out of the nfl early. i don't see him fiting into a 3-4 type defense where he may have to take on offensive linemen. he may only really fit as a 4-3 will guy. either way that size really turns me off. it makes me wonder if can survive as a three down backer.
        sigpic
        oakland raders gm

Comment

maybe i just don't see a LB at 6'1 215 surviving in the nfl as a three down guy. sounds like he could be a major liability against the run. the only LBer i can think of to survive and look good at that size is Telvin Smith. Smith was also out of the nfl early. i don't see him fiting into a 3-4 type defense where he may have to take on offensive linemen. he may only really fit as a 4-3 will guy. either way that size really turns me off. it makes me wonder if can survive as a three down backer.
          I think Smith also had some troubles but I understand the logic.

Personally, I would prefer one of the top CB's, or Slater at #9. I was just considering what other direction the Broncos could possibly go.

Comment

If we don't trade down and stay at 9....I just want Defense. I mean I prefer to trade down...but I would be fine with either CB, Parsons. Dream scenario, trade down and take Zaven Collins, but trading down for CB/S or Dline. Defense though.
            New England Patriots GM

Comment

I like Slater @9. It seems that fixing D is much easier through Free Agency

Comment

Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
                If we don't trade down and stay at 9....I just want Defense. I mean I prefer to trade down...but I would be fine with either CB, Parsons. Dream scenario, trade down and take Zaven Collins, but trading down for CB/S or Dline. Defense though.
                Yes, agreed, however , you can't disagree that we need a future for our RT. James will start and provide above average play....but , we cannot think he will last the entire season, let alone beyond. We need a Tackle no later than the 3rd round, unless Free Agency, and again, haven't we been down that road a few times already ? We also need a RB. { 2 picks on the offense....the rest must be defense } I too prefer a trade down, I like picking up and extra 2nd, but really want an extra first for next year....incase my guy Drew fails this year.

Comment

My preferred #9 is still Parsons (depending on depth of the character issues) . But could just as easily be happy with Surtain or Farley and target Cox in the 3rd as a nice second choice.

I am finding it hard to choose an OT in the first 3 rds. Whether we like it or not, the Broncos are invested in James as the starter at RT. I honestly would not be looking at a OT until the 4th rd. Let Munchak choose the best 4th rd OT prospect. There seems to be some decent potential options with Little, Hainsey, Cosmi, Christenson, in that range. Maybe others make Munchak smile more. That's why he is the expert.

My preferred mock at the moment (and will change a dozen times by the draft) would be : Parsons, Williams, Hufanga, Little. With CB being filled in free agency.

This is assuming the Broncos even have picks in the first couple rds, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                    My preferred #9 is still Parsons (depending on depth of the character issues)
                    I wouldn't be surprised if Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah ends up being the first LB taken now.

Comment

My preferred #9 is still Parsons (depending on depth of the character issues) . But could just as easily be happy with Surtain or Farley and target Cox in the 3rd as a nice second choice.

I am finding it hard to choose an OT in the first 3 rds. Whether we like it or not, the Broncos are invested in James as the starter at RT. I honestly would not be looking at a OT until the 4th rd. Let Munchak choose the best 4th rd OT prospect. There seems to be some decent potential options with Little, Hainsey, Cosmi, Christenson, in that range. Maybe others make Munchak smile more. That's why he is the expert.

My preferred mock at the moment (and will change a dozen times by the draft) would be : Parsons, Williams, Hufanga, Little. With CB being filled in free agency.

This is assuming the Broncos even have picks in the first couple rds, of course.
                      I think Micah Parsons is a good bet here too. They are severely lacking an ILB with speed. A player like him could really open things defensively.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post

I think Micah Parsons is a good bet here too. They are severely lacking an ILB with speed. A player like him could really open things defensively.
                        Getting tired of seeing other teams with dominating ILBs making impact plays then I watch the Broncos ILBs be oh so average. Disappointing.

Parsons would be an exciting addition. Assuming Fangio could make use of a dynamic athletic ILB.

Playing around with mocks, sometimes wonder what would happen if Parsons went #9 and Cox was available in the third.

Would be an interesting upgrade to see IMO.

Comment

Getting tired of seeing other teams with dominating ILBs making impact plays then I watch the Broncos ILBs be oh so average. Disappointing.

Parsons would be an exciting addition. Assuming Fangio could make use of a dynamic athletic ILB.

Playing around with mocks, sometimes wonder what would happen if Parsons went #9 and Cox was available in the third.

Would be an interesting upgrade to see IMO.
                          i actually really like Alexander Johnson he is a great ted for a 3-4 scheme. he is faster then i think most people give him credit. is decent in coverage and violent vs the run.
                          sigpic
                          oakland raders gm

Comment

i actually really like Alexander Johnson he is a great ted for a 3-4 scheme. he is faster then i think most people give him credit. is decent in coverage and violent vs the run.

I think he is a solid player but he is far from a sideline to sideline guy or one who can cover the middle of the field in pass coverage. Did you see Devin White in the Superbowl? He was all over the field. That is the type of player we need. he would be a good complement to Parsons.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post

I think he is a solid player but he is far from a sideline to sideline guy or one who can cover the middle of the field in pass coverage. Did you see Devin White in the Superbowl? He was all over the field. That is the type of player we need. he would be a good complement to Parsons.
                              i am not debating that we could use a sideline to sideline guy. i do think Alexander Johnson fits really well into the TED spot for the a 3-4. be the LBer more in charge of the run and taking offensive linemen so that the other ILB can roam more freely and play more of a coverage sideline to side line role. if you read this it is what they call the Mike backer

There are two types of ILBs, the Mike (for strong side) and the Will (for weak side). The Will typically is the more athletic linebacker, who can blitz, drop into coverage, play the run, and "spy" the quarterback.[9] The Mike is typically the stronger and larger of the two linebackers, and is used almost like a fullback on the defense. He takes on and occupies blockers for the Will, allowing the Will to flow to the ball and make tackles

i think Johnson has good speed and good size. he is violent when attacking the run and perfect fit for the strong side backer. the guy who is used to occupy blockers and make room for a backer with elite speed that can move sideline to sideline.

Johnson would have been a first round pick if not for the legal issues he faced. his film in Ten was great. he has good speed great size and great attack down hill after the inside running game.
                              sigpic
                              oakland raders gm

Comment

Working...
                              X