X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butler By'Note
    replied
    Originally posted by S037474 View Post
    I'd personally like a deal by draft time or put him on the trade block for draft picks. We can't afford to franchise him again and if we can't sign him, might as well get some value out of him.
    He can't be traded because technically he's a free agent. Yes he's restricted to Denver because of the Franchise Tag, but until he signs the tender he's not under contract and can't be traded.

So if Denver were to decide to trade him, they'd have to let him shop around for his team, and then make a deal with whomever he chooses, because he basically has a no trade clause.

Leave a comment:

• armedequation
    replied
    Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post

If we sign him it is going to be for more than the franchise tag, and we can definitely afford that.
    the good thing is that setting the market in this circumstance wont be substantially more than the franchise amount

Leave a comment:

• S037474
    replied
    Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post

If we sign him it is going to be for more than the franchise tag, and we can definitely afford that.
    I agree but if the broncos decide they don't want to pay him what he wants, they need to trade him before or during the draft. No reason to have him play this year and just walk next year. Get value while value is there.

Leave a comment:

• Houshmazode
    replied
    Originally posted by S037474 View Post
    I'd personally like a deal by draft time or put him on the trade block for draft picks. We can't afford to franchise him again and if we can't sign him, might as well get some value out of him.

Leave a comment:

• S037474
    replied

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post

The Broncos spend all of their money on the cap regardless of ownership.

From what I saw last year imo this is a continuation of agents wanting to drive the prices up as far as they possibly can while the Broncos use the tag to try and keep the price down.

The players and NFL agreed to spread the reduced cap over four years starting in 2021. Even if we get fans back into the stadiums in 2021 there will still be some debt from 2020 that is going to reduce the cap for years to come. The smart teams are making long term smart moves to ensure they do not HAVE to cut players just to get under the cap ... like we will start seeing very soon in the for the many teams who need to free up cap space just so they can sign draft picks and have the 5-9 mil operating space a team needs each year. Some teams are going to find the cap very difficult in 2021 imo.

The Broncos spend all of their cap but they are also trying to be prepared for the reduced cap from the 2020 season spread over multiple years.
    How much cash over cap do they spend, i.e. signing bonus?

That’s what could be the hold up for the Broncos because of the ownership issues.

I don’t really care for signing bonuses. I’d prefer teams make star players earn their spots year by year. I kinda wonder how many players are only on a roster because it’s too expensive to cut them.

That being said, maybe the Broncos are reluctant to give out big signing bonuses because of their unique situation regarding ownership.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

Well I think in large part the reason a deal didn’t get done last season was because of the uncertainty of the cap. If I remember correctly the two sides were close money wise but there was some issues with how it was structured. But to answer your question, yes there are rules that prevent a tagged player from signing a new deal. I’m not sure if it extends to the new league year or once the teams season is over but nothing can happen once the deadline passes in the offseason.
    Once the tag is applied the sides have until July 15 to sign long term deal. If no deal is reached by then the player goes with the 1 year franchise deal.

Want to say Simmons was first player in long time that did not get a deal done by July 15 for the Broncos

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post

I'm curious why they simply can't get it done now instead of having to tag him? Is there something in the rules preventing them for creating and signing a contract now? Or, are they trying to "nickel and dime" this guy? If they let this play out to him playing while tagged, I don't want to hear the complaints next year if he does well again (like he has every season), gets even bigger offers, and the Broncos don't keep him.

He's a solid player. He's consistent. He's a young man of strong character. He's been a Bronco his entire career. He's stood strong on garbage teams. What's the problem?
    Well I think in large part the reason a deal didn’t get done last season was because of the uncertainty of the cap. If I remember correctly the two sides were close money wise but there was some issues with how it was structured. But to answer your question, yes there are rules that prevent a tagged player from signing a new deal. I’m not sure if it extends to the new league year or once the teams season is over but nothing can happen once the deadline passes in the offseason.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by broncolee View Post
    The Broncos might be hamstrung by the ownership situation.

Maybe they have to be very judicious about who gets a big money contract.

Hopefully it all gets worked out so that good play can stick around.
    The Broncos spend all of their money on the cap regardless of ownership.

From what I saw last year imo this is a continuation of agents wanting to drive the prices up as far as they possibly can while the Broncos use the tag to try and keep the price down.

The players and NFL agreed to spread the reduced cap over four years starting in 2021. Even if we get fans back into the stadiums in 2021 there will still be some debt from 2020 that is going to reduce the cap for years to come. The smart teams are making long term smart moves to ensure they do not HAVE to cut players just to get under the cap ... like we will start seeing very soon in the for the many teams who need to free up cap space just so they can sign draft picks and have the 5-9 mil operating space a team needs each year. Some teams are going to find the cap very difficult in 2021 imo.

The Broncos spend all of their cap but they are also trying to be prepared for the reduced cap from the 2020 season spread over multiple years.

Leave a comment:

• DiveInstructor
    replied
    Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

It doesn’t mean they can’t still get a deal done with him though. This is just to ensure that he doesn’t get to the open market. So far since Elway has been here Simmons is the only player to get tagged and not receive a long term extension, and I think that will get corrected this time around. I’m pretty sure Simmons is the only one to actually play on the tag as well.
    I'm curious why they simply can't get it done now instead of having to tag him? Is there something in the rules preventing them for creating and signing a contract now? Or, are they trying to "nickel and dime" this guy? If they let this play out to him playing while tagged, I don't want to hear the complaints next year if he does well again (like he has every season), gets even bigger offers, and the Broncos don't keep him.

He's a solid player. He's consistent. He's a young man of strong character. He's been a Bronco his entire career. He's stood strong on garbage teams. What's the problem?

Leave a comment:

• InsaneBlaze23
    replied
    Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    I approve of this Move and Great Move by our New GM Paton. I am 100% sure that they will get a deal hammered out and I am super stoked that J.S. will be our Safety in 2021 Great News Indeed we need this in DBC !!
    Agreed, hope they can get a long term deal done. Paton wants to get it done, tagging him just makes sure they can continue having the conversation between today and next offseason if it takes that long. Both sides want a long term deal, but it all comes down to the right money.

Leave a comment:

• DENVERSB50CHAMP
    replied
    I approve of this Move and Great Move by our New GM Paton. I am 100% sure that they will get a deal hammered out and I am super stoked that J.S. will be our Safety in 2021 Great News Indeed we need this in DBC !!

Leave a comment:

• beastlyskronk
    replied
    Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post

Yeeh, but it isn't much cheaper. And, maybe what they would pay now on a contract will be less than next year when the have to sign or let him go out on the market? If he has another good year, salaries will likely only go up, and next year what he can get may be another million or two a year. That would easily negate the savings now.

Elway seems to be too much the car salesman sometimes. Not sure how much Paton has a say in this, or any other player business transaction. Many of us, myself included, have relaxed our opinions of how much authority Paton has, when early talk was both Elway and Coach Grandpa would be a part of a three headed decision making process.
    It doesn’t mean they can’t still get a deal done with him though. This is just to ensure that he doesn’t get to the open market. So far since Elway has been here Simmons is the only player to get tagged and not receive a long term extension, and I think that will get corrected this time around. I’m pretty sure Simmons is the only one to actually play on the tag as well.

Leave a comment:

• Jonny_Quest
    replied
    Hopefully we get a deal done. He's a great player, and pillar of the community. Everything you want in a Bronco.

Leave a comment:

• Bootleg
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    i think he may get Franchised again cause it may be cheaper then what he would get on the open market and stuff. i expect him to be a bronco 1 way or another.
    You were right:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X