Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do We Replicate The Panthers' 2020 All D Draft?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do We Replicate The Panthers' 2020 All D Draft?!

OK....I am not totally serious about an all D draft, like what Carolina did last year. But pending FA and the QB situation, I expect us to go almost full out on D. My perspective is this....you can not keep focusing on O, and expect your D to get better. Outside of The QB situation, the only positions I would look at are OLine (not early), and probably a mid round RB, someone who could actually make a case for replacing one of the current starting tandem.

Our issue has been scoring points, and some of it lies squarely on a young player who is trying to prove himself as the franchise guy. Only so much he can do. But if Lock is fine, and Sutton is healthy, and Bolles is now a stud tackle, I only see Oline as a possible point of concern in the draft....if we don't acquire one in FA. And as I often mention, I believe that your future RB starter is somewhere in that huge group of players, and possibly very late in the draft process. James Robinson is just another example of how good an undrafted player can be. How bout Lindsay?

If we were to pursue Watson before The Draft, I would expect Chubb to be high on their list of "give us" players. Which would further emphasize the need for D. At least 2 Dbacks should be in the early cards, as would be an outside pass rusher or 2, and help up the middle of the front 7. By my count, we are talking at least 6 Dmen.

Now, if we go into the draft still at #9, and do not draft a QB at that position, and all other variables are roughly the same, I would seriously look at trading back. More picks would ensure we acquire our full slate of Dmen, but also help us acquire an Oliner and RB at some point.

So yeah, don't expect a full repeat of The Panthers in '20, but close to it. In my opinion you can not pay too mention attention to the Offense and assume everything else will be fine. Outside of close monitoring of Lock, and perhaps another Oliner, we should be focusing on D. If at the end of the season The Broncos are a below 500 O, something bigger has to happen. It will likely mean we have not yet figured out who is at the helm. But if The Broncos don't make some serious upgrades on D, the points gained on O may not be enough.

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    OK....I am not totally serious about an all D draft, like what Carolina did last year. But pending FA and the QB situation, I expect us to go almost full out on D. My perspective is this....you can not keep focusing on O, and expect your D to get better. Outside of The QB situation, the only positions I would look at are OLine (not early), and probably a mid round RB, someone who could actually make a case for replacing one of the current starting tandem.

Our issue has been scoring points, and some of it lies squarely on a young player who is trying to prove himself as the franchise guy. Only so much he can do. But if Lock is fine, and Sutton is healthy, and Bolles is now a stud tackle, I only see Oline as a possible point of concern in the draft....if we don't acquire one in FA. And as I often mention, I believe that your future RB starter is somewhere in that huge group of players, and possibly very late in the draft process. James Robinson is just another example of how good an undrafted player can be. How bout Lindsay?

If we were to pursue Watson before The Draft, I would expect Chubb to be high on their list of "give us" players. Which would further emphasize the need for D. At least 2 Dbacks should be in the early cards, as would be an outside pass rusher or 2, and help up the middle of the front 7. By my count, we are talking at least 6 Dmen.

Now, if we go into the draft still at #9, and do not draft a QB at that position, and all other variables are roughly the same, I would seriously look at trading back. More picks would ensure we acquire our full slate of Dmen, but also help us acquire an Oliner and RB at some point.

So yeah, don't expect a full repeat of The Panthers in '20, but close to it. In my opinion you can not pay too mention attention to the Offense and assume everything else will be fine. Outside of close monitoring of Lock, and perhaps another Oliner, we should be focusing on D. If at the end of the season The Broncos are a below 500 O, something bigger has to happen. It will likely mean we have not yet figured out who is at the helm. But if The Broncos don't make some serious upgrades on D, the points gained on O may not be enough.
    agreed. CB and ILB are top priorities, IMO....besides Oline
    sigpic

Comment

I think CB and LB are obviously big areas that could use improvement. I would hesitate to say I think we'll go full out defense in the draft, although how things hake out in FA could have us leaning that way.

There are some offensive players I really like and if we decide to roll with Lock and maybe are able to trade back a bit and acquire some extra picks there are guys like Javonte Williams who I'm a big fan of.

If we can acquire some extra picks through trades than I could see more of a 60-40 split of Defense-offense where if we don't trade back it wouldn't shock me if all but one player is defense.
      Given the division we play in upping the defense can't be ignored.
      A book I wrote

Comment

Originally posted by CTM View Post
        I think CB and LB are obviously big areas that could use improvement. I would hesitate to say I think we'll go full out defense in the draft, although how things hake out in FA could have us leaning that way.

There are some offensive players I really like and if we decide to roll with Lock and maybe are able to trade back a bit and acquire some extra picks there are guys like Javonte Williams who I'm a big fan of.

If we can acquire some extra picks through trades than I could see more of a 60-40 split of Defense-offense where if we don't trade back it wouldn't shock me if all but one player is defense.
        Given the division we play in upping the defense can't be ignored.
        On the same wavelength, though the mix might be a bit different. I see a potential pattern here, IF we do not acquire a QB, or go crazy in FA. What it dictates to me is that there are plenty of Dbacks in the early rounds that would help us, and of course, at other positions. So because I see a need for some serious D upgrade, and possibly a couple of Offensive types, I do not want us to stay where we are unless the BPA is almost "can't miss". So given what we know, this is the trade back draft. Maybe twice early. Add picks, but still select early enough for potential pro bowlers on D. And yes, as you say, have more of a mix on D/O because you can afford to with the added capital assets.

To summarize...(again, based on what we know today), I am not as concerned about choosing a few quality players, rather acquire some extras and load up enough so that we have a 1st, 2nds and 3rds to go get quality players in positions of need.

Comment

Id like a tackle in the 2nd. those who like micheal carter and jevante williams, ive seen them start climbing up in the mocks. I saw one yesterday that had williams going in the 2nd where i was routinely seeing him in the 3rd before.

if patrick leaves then maybe a late pick on wr
          Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post
            Id like a tackle in the 2nd. those who like micheal carter and jevante williams, ive seen them start climbing up in the mocks. I saw one yesterday that had williams going in the 2nd where i was routinely seeing him in the 3rd before.

I lean heavily to D, but would not hate an OT fairly early. It may full well come down to BPAs throughout the early rounds. For example, we should never pass on an OT BPA, because we can find good DBs/LBs/Edge players in the early to mid rounds. And yes, expect names to rise and fall from this day til latter April.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I lean heavily to D, but would not hate an OT fairly early. It may full well come down to BPAs throughout the early rounds. For example, we should never pass on an OT BPA, because we can find good DBs/LBs/Edge players in the early to mid rounds. And yes, expect names to rise and fall from this day til latter April.
              to be clear im all d other than who/what i mentioned. Im in favor of trading back a few times (like my pff mock in that thread) get multiple 2nds and maybe trade back into the 1st.

id love to get collins and moerhig and that also get leatherwood/mayfield/cosmi type.
              Glen Haven Fire

Comment

to be clear im all d other than who/what i mentioned. Im in favor of trading back a few times (like my pff mock in that thread) get multiple 2nds and maybe trade back into the 1st.

id love to get collins and moerhig and that also get leatherwood/mayfield/cosmi type.
                I like this,,,,,,,,

Comment

I think we need either one 2nd / 3rd round OT or multiple OT drafted in later rounds.

Rest go D.

CB > LB > DL > S/Edge
                  Let's Ride!

Comment

I say CB round 1 LB in round 2 OL round 3 Ect

Comment

Yes....I want at least 2 trade backs early!!! All sorts of picks. But one first for sure, even if late.

Comment

Trade backs are fun in the draft simulators, but not sure I will rely on them. But absolutely see mostly defense with a couple of exceptions.

I'm keeping it simple. Give me Parsons ILB, Williams RB, Eichenburg or Little OT in the first three rds then start loading up on defense the rest of the way..

Depending on how FA goes I would be looking at drafting S, 2 CBs, ILB, 2-Dline.

Saw an interesting Free agency article that played with the idea of Broncos adding Fuller CB, Lattimore CB and Brockers DT. Re-sign S. Harris, restructure Miller, keep Simmons and Jackson happy. On offense, keep Lindsey, hope James is ready to play and add a vet QB to mentor /compete with Lock. (A. Smith?, Fitzpatrick?)

Start the OTA's.

Comment

He's the third best back in the draft, and I'm not sure the split between the top two and him is that big. Because he can do everything, and features as a true three down back in the NFL, I don't think he makes it out of the second.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                            Trade backs are fun in the draft simulators, but not sure I will rely on them. But absolutely see mostly defense with a couple of exceptions.

I'm keeping it simple. Give me Parsons ILB, Williams RB, Eichenburg or Little OT in the first three rds then start loading up on defense the rest of the way..

Depending on how FA goes I would be looking at drafting S, 2 CBs, ILB, 2-Dline.

Saw an interesting Free agency article that played with the idea of Broncos adding Fuller CB, Lattimore CB and Brockers DT. Re-sign S. Harris, restructure Miller, keep Simmons and Jackson happy. On offense, keep Lindsey, hope James is ready to play and add a vet QB to mentor /compete with Lock. (A. Smith?, Fitzpatrick?)

Start the OTA's.
                            Those first three picks are picks I would certainly be onboard with as well. Although I do think that Patrick Surtain makes way too much sense for this defense for them to not take him if he's there.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

He's the third best back in the draft, and I'm not sure the split between the top two and him is that big. Because he can do everything, and features as a true three down back in the NFL, I don't think he makes it out of the second.
                              with the vid coming out of gordons dui arrest, im even more for getting rid of him and keeping lindsey and drafting williams than i was before...if that was possible
                              Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Working...
                              X