No announcement yet.

Which QB to draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paton should be fired if he trades for Bridgewater.

He should probably be fired if he signs Bridgewater in free agency, as anything other than the clear back up.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
      Love Teddy Bridgewater as a person and he is a marginal improvement over the current level of QB play— but I’m not paying $18M for merely average QB performance. I’d rather roll the dice with Lock for another year.
      I really liked Teddy early on, before the injury. I agree though that now he is not worth the cost.
      Last edited by GMTD; 04-05-2021, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bootleg View Post

Darnold was #3 in 2018 and now traded for a sixth, a second and a fourth.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Regardless of what I think about giving Lock more time, there is enough smoke around the QB situation. Given that we were in the Stafford discussions, poked around with Darnold, etc. There seems to be too much evidence that Paton wants a change.

With the moves already made, it would seem almost impossible to crack the top 3.

I hope we make a move for Fields, if he is on the board after #3. If the first 3 are Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields I hope we wait to see what is there at 9. If we NEED to take a QB I would rather not trade up for Lance or Jones. Personally, I would rather pass on them, but I feel like our FO is looking for a QB solution. If all 5 QBs are gone by 9, there could be someone like Sewell or Pitts on the board. Both of which would be steals at #9.

I would rather run it back with Lock, than waste 17 million on Bridgewater.

Comment

• I was doing a little bit of a deep dive on Lock last night since I’ve slowly found myself warming up to the idea of BPA at 9 and going with Lock for 2021... and while his decision-making and ability to read defenses slightly improved, his accuracy and ball placement is still pretty bad. Yes, he’s made some wow throws and hit receivers perfectly in stride on some deep-ins, vertical seams, slants, etc... but he’s still so streaky and doesn’t show the ability to make the right throws to all levels of the field. I don’t know if that can be fixed, even with better mechanics/footwork and more familiarity with the system. His catchable pass rate and on-target % was among the league-worst. Just off the top of my head, Fields and Jones showed better accuracy, touch, and ball placement than Lock has ever had.
            2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
            Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

I was doing a little bit of a deep dive on Lock last night since I’ve slowly found myself warming up to the idea of BPA at 9 and going with Lock for 2021... and while his decision-making and ability to read defenses slightly improved, his accuracy and ball placement is still pretty bad. Yes, he’s made some wow throws and hit receivers perfectly in stride on some deep-ins, vertical seams, slants, etc... but he’s still so streaky and doesn’t show the ability to make the right throws to all levels of the field. I don’t know if that can be fixed, even with better mechanics/footwork and more familiarity with the system. His catchable pass rate and on-target % was among the league-worst. Just off the top of my head, Fields and Jones showed better accuracy, touch, and ball placement than Lock has ever had.
              I am even more concerned that we had to dumb down the playbook for Lock. That is the biggest concern for me and likely the death nail of his career. There are few things worse that could be said about a QB. I would have patience with the other things, and hope that work ethic helps him have an uptick like Josh Allen (although I think Josh Allen's turnaround in accuracy and technique is unprecedented). If it wasn't for the dummy down playbook I would be saying, "please give him one more year"

I love the options in this draft (and won't be upset if we go BPA at 9 or trade back), but given the QBs we have in our division, I am really hoping we find a way to get Fields.

Comment

• Originally posted by myoung View Post

I am even more concerned that we had to dumb down the playbook for Lock. That is the biggest concern for me and likely the death nail of his career. There are few things worse that could be said about a QB. I would have patience with the other things, and hope that work ethic helps him have an uptick like Josh Allen (although I think Josh Allen's turnaround in accuracy and technique is unprecedented). If it wasn't for the dummy down playbook I would be saying, "please give him one more year"

I love the options in this draft (and won't be upset if we go BPA at 9 or trade back), but given the QBs we have in our division, I am really hoping we find a way to get Fields.
                To be fair, that’s the one thing I’ve been able to justify for Lock with the lack of OTAs, no preseason, and COVID-affected practice schedule. Shurmur probably hasn’t even been able to install his entire playbook with the sheer lack of reps on the practice field. Lock said there were moments where “getting familiar with the offense came in games”. I don’t doubt that he has the mental acuity to improve in that area, especially with something as graspable for an NFL player as a playbook.

While we have different concerns for Lock, I agree with the options for the draft. I, too, hope we can land Fields. He’s a bonafide stud. Whether it’s a trade-up or by some miracle he falls to 9... I hope he’s our QB in 2021.
                2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
                Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

To be fair, that’s the one thing I’ve been able to justify for Lock with the lack of OTAs, no preseason, and COVID-affected practice schedule. Shurmur probably hasn’t even been able to install his entire playbook with the sheer lack of reps on the practice field. Lock said there were moments where “getting familiar with the offense came in games”. I don’t doubt that he has the mental acuity to improve in that area, especially with something as graspable for an NFL player as a playbook.

While we have different concerns for Lock, I agree with the options for the draft. I, too, hope we can land Fields. He’s a bonafide stud. Whether it’s a trade-up or by some miracle he falls to 9... I hope he’s our QB in 2021.
                  I don't disagree with your concerns about Lock. They are spot on, but I also have additional concerns about his ability to run the offense. IMO, if someone said that about my QB and I had any desire to keep him around (or salvage value), I would have made a statement that the offense was dumbed down due to COVID restrictions and not because my QB couldn't handle it mentally. To my knowledge, no one in the org has defended him. Which tells me they are probably ready to move on. Lock has never gotten great support from our org and I think that is probably because they know something we don't. We half feel into drafting him in the first place, since he was in a free fall.

Either way, I am hoping for Fields in 21

Comment

• Originally posted by myoung View Post

I don't disagree with your concerns about Lock. They are spot on, but I also have additional concerns about his ability to run the offense. IMO, if someone said that about my QB and I had any desire to keep him around (or salvage value), I would have made a statement that the offense was dumbed down due to COVID restrictions and not because my QB couldn't handle it mentally. To my knowledge, no one in the org has defended him. Which tells me they are probably ready to move on. Lock has never gotten great support from our org and I think that is probably because they know something we don't. We half feel into drafting him in the first place, since he was in a free fall.

Either way, I am hoping for Fields in 21
                    If the bolded statement is true., Don't you think a move would have occurred already...such as ....paying more for Stafford, or paying more to move up to #3 in the draft or.....you name it. If they were not keeping Drew or were not sold.....a move would have been made.....or , our GM really is not as good as we think he is.

Comment

• Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post

If the bolded statement is true., Don't you think a move would have occurred already...such as ....paying more for Stafford, or paying more to move up to #3 in the draft or.....you name it. If they were not keeping Drew or were not sold.....a move would have been made.....or , our GM really is not as good as we think he is.
                      I am not sure we should judge Paton by NOT making those moves. It seems that almost everyone was surprised by the haul the Lions got for Stafford and the haul the Dolphins got for the #3. I think the jury is still out on whether those moves were worth the price. I am not sure I am sold that Stafford was the right move for us. In the past many of these moves have happened on draft day as it is a risk / reward --- cost / benefit type of situation.

I will admit I am guessing based on what I have read about (which we all know how much of the full story we have available). Maybe the organization really likes him and these alleged attempts at other QBs are a smoke screen. I don't think so.

At this point, I feel like we are going to do something, just an opinion though. I just don't want it to be Bridgewater. My preference is Fields or run it back with Lock. If we decided to go Jones or Lance at 9, I would understand. Bridgewater? tougher pill to swallow. No upside, IMO

Comment

• im not sold on lock but some of whats been said i dont agree with.

i dont like how it was said that shurmur had to dummy down the playbook. what 2nd year player is going to have a full grasp of anyones play book with no practice reps with his players? how are they gonna have the timing and chemistry together when they havent had that?

plenty of coaches and players have shown support to lock. the one thing most of them say is that he has to put it all together. josh allen didnt play this good his first 2 years. I think they should have stayed with scangrello who seemed to work very well with lock. I think he was judged more by flaccos horrendous play than what he did with lock.

if we stick with lock this year, i think it will be the most telling about lock and not just the discord of the organization (constant coaching changes for example).

i dont think you can judge paton this early. in fact i like that he didnt pay whatever price just to make a change that may or may not have worked. only time will tell

id say no to bridgewater as we would have to trade him and take on his contract
                        Last edited by armedequation; 04-06-2021, 11:22 AM.
                        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                          Paton should be fired if he trades for Bridgewater.

He should probably be fired if he signs Bridgewater in free agency, as anything other than the clear back up.
                          He should be fired if trades for Foles or Minshew as well. None of those guys are franchise QB's. I'm sick of seeing garbage at the QB position.

I was on board with bringing in either Winston or Darnold because those guys are still potential franchise QB's and their ceiling is higher than Lock's.

While I think Fields is the only QB worth drafting for us, I'd rather that we just make a move to get #4 now and take either Fields or Lance, because I'd rather do that than waste time, money, draft picks and a roster spot for a worthless QB who does NOTHING for us, long term.

Either that, or just go with the mediocre QB we already have in Lock.
                          Last edited by sra84; 04-06-2021, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sra84 View Post

He should be fired if trades for Foles or Minshew as well. None of those guys are franchise QB's. I'm sick of seeing garbage at the QB position.

I was on board with bringing in either Winston or Darnold because those guys are still potential franchise QB's and their ceiling is higher than Lock's.

While I think Fields is the only QB worth drafting for us, I'd rather that we just make a move to get #4 now and take either Fields or Lance, because I'd rather do that than waste time, money, draft picks and a roster spot for a worthless QB who does NOTHING for us, long term.

Either that, or just go with the mediocre QB we already have in Lock.
                            Maybe, but in 20 more games Darnold has been worse than Lock. People love to say Lock was the worst starting QB in the league last year, but he wasn't, Sam Darnold was. If Lock is what he is after 18 games, I'm not sure how anyone could argue that Darnold isn't who he is after 38 games?

And I know people will point to Gase and the surrounding cast, and sure those were factors, but at some point you'd see that talent shine through and it would be evident he could be a star. Darnold hasn't shown those glimpses. Instead he has shown to be what he was in college, a guy who gets sacked a lot, and turns the ball over a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

Maybe, but in 20 more games Darnold has been worse than Lock. People love to say Lock was the worst starting QB in the league last year, but he wasn't, Sam Darnold was. If Lock is what he is after 18 games, I'm not sure how anyone could argue that Darnold isn't who he is after 38 games?

And I know people will point to Gase and the surrounding cast, and sure those were factors, but at some point you'd see that talent shine through and it would be evident he could be a star. Darnold hasn't shown those glimpses. Instead he has shown to be what he was in college, a guy who gets sacked a lot, and turns the ball over a lot.
                              Darnold is better than Lock. Pure and simple. And yes you can point to what he dealt with in New York. Drew had good receivers, a solid offensive line and two good RB's. What did Darnold have? As for Gase? Just look at Tannehill with Gase in Miami and without him in Tennessee.

I'm sick of the excuses for Lock.
                              Last edited by sra84; 04-06-2021, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sra84 View Post

Darnold is better than Lock. Pure and simple. And yes you can point to what he dealt with in New York. Drew had good receivers, a solid offensive line and two good RB's. What did Darnold have? As for Gase? Just look at Tannehill with Gase in Miami and without him in Tennessee.

I'm sick of the excuses for Lock.
                                The same can be said about our OC Pat not calling the correct plays until the end of the season. The truth is this is a Make or Break type of year for both QB's for Sam and Drew and it at this point we all have to wait to see can Drew put it together like Josh Allen did ? 3rd year Critical

Comment

Working...
                                X