Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which QB to draft?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post

    I look forward to this challenge....you didn't set the bar very high, for Lock. Lets compare him to Wentz instead. Check that, that's a low bar too.How about comapare him to Mayfield this year.
    I'm just comparing the two. I think Darnold is better and has a more likely chance to be a franchise QB than Drew. And now that Darnold is in a better situation I think we'll see that.

    ​​​​​IF Gardner Minshew is considered competition for Lock, that's not good. If Lock is as good as some here believe, Darnold or Winston would be better competition and Minshew wouldn't be considered at all.

    Comment


    • I think Denver should trade with ATL for the number 4 pick. Schefter said today that SF is going to go for Mack Jones at 3 which would see Fields fall. I think Fields is an upgrade over Lock and he has a Dak Prescott feel to him, IMO

      Comment


      • Originally posted by sra84 View Post

        I'm just comparing the two. I think Darnold is better and has a more likely chance to be a franchise QB than Drew. And now that Darnold is in a better situation I think we'll see that.

        ​​​​​IF Gardner Minshew is considered competition for Lock, that's not good. If Lock is as good as some here believe, Darnold or Winston would be better competition and Minshew wouldn't be considered at all.
        Minshew ? I said Mayfield.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post

          Thankyou.....can't believe how much bashing goes on with our own players. Message boards allow too many easy slams with out much thought. But then, there's folks like you to keep us in check too. Kudos. I still think we need to draft a RB in the second though.
          I’ve been known to be an unashamed Melvin Gordon truther, apparently . But yes, I’ve noticed that fans start rooting against a certain player on their team if the circumstances with which they were acquired made them upset. He also didn’t do himself many favors off the field, admittedly. But to assert that he doesn’t help Lock on many levels is simply not true.

          With that being said, Javonte Williams or Najee Harris in the 2nd would be awesome. Neither Gordon nor Freeman are likely getting a contract extension in 2022, so it would make sense to look to acquire the RB of the future in this draft. I also think Mike Boone is a viable RB2, so I’m okay if we don’t draft a RB until next year too. If his time in MIN is any indication, Paton has shown a willingness to invest a high draft pick (Rd. 1-3) on a RB.
          2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
          Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

          Comment


          • Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post

            I’ve been known to be an unashamed Melvin Gordon truther, apparently . But yes, I’ve noticed that fans start rooting against a certain player on their team if the circumstances with which they were acquired made them upset. He also didn’t do himself many favors off the field, admittedly. But to assert that he doesn’t help Lock on many levels is simply not true.

            With that being said, Javonte Williams or Najee Harris in the 2nd would be awesome. Neither Gordon nor Freeman are likely getting a contract extension in 2022, so it would make sense to look to acquire the RB of the future in this draft. I also think Mike Boone is a viable RB2, so I’m okay if we don’t draft a RB until next year too. If his time in MIN is any indication, Paton has shown a willingness to invest a high draft pick (Rd. 1-3) on a RB.
            There is a difference between rooting against players and wanting the team to make better personnel decisions. As a fan, we don't have to like every decision the front office makes but it doesn't stop me from cheering for the team on Sundays. I never once cheered against Gordon. I want Gordon to be better than he is, but sadly the reality of last year tells a different story. Especially for a guy that was paid as a top tier back....

            I have no problems if we draft a RB in rounds 2-7 but I think a 1st round pick would be a terrible waste of draft capitol. Especially for a position that doesn't seem to be making a big difference in the wins and losses columns. The only RB I see moving the needle is Henry. The other top backs don't seem to have a big impact on the teams overall performance.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by sra84 View Post

              Actually, I'm not. Watching Darnold and Lock in college and the NFL, you can clearly see that Darnold is the better QB. Darnold is a smarter QB and a better passer. His mobility is as good if not better than Lock's. Remember the TD run he had against us? If Darnold had what Drew has had to work with, we would have seen so much more. Stats don't tell the whole story. And Darnold wouldn't have put us in the situation Drew did against New Orleans.

              Just watch how he does in Carolina. You cannot begin to imagine how putrid the Jets organization is... it's way worse than ours currently is.
              I think Darnold was definitely a better prospect coming out of college but I don't think his college performance was better than Lock. I think Lock's junior and senior years were both better than Darnolds sophomore season. I watched many of their college games and I would not say that Darnold was clearly the better QB. Darnold was clearly the better prospect, but it was based on his age and potential skill set. Darnold had the same problem then that he has now. He threw a lot of interceptions and was not the most accurate QB.

              Lock had / has mechanical issues t... Many had concerns he would never be an accurate QB in the NFL.

              As far as the NFL, you are trying to point out the advantages of the worst starting QB in the NFL, vs a bottom 5. Let's hope they get better but you are splitting hairs. It is like choosing between the Hunchback of Notre Dame and the ugly duckling in a beauty contest.

              Darnold may turn things around in Carolina but it is just a likely that he is what he has been up to this point.

              Comment


              • Some people seem to believe that drafting a QB in the top 10 is the answer to all problems. If we draft a QB in the top 10 it just means we start a 3 to 5 year cycle to see if that QB can be a legitimate star in the NFL. Recent drafts a littered with QBs drafted in the top 10 whose teams gave up on them. Darnold is just the latest.



                Comment


                • Originally posted by sra84 View Post

                  Actually, I'm not. Watching Darnold and Lock in college and the NFL, you can clearly see that Darnold is the better QB. Darnold is a smarter QB and a better passer. His mobility is as good if not better than Lock's. Remember the TD run he had against us? If Darnold had what Drew has had to work with, we would have seen so much more. Stats don't tell the whole story. And Darnold wouldn't have put us in the situation Drew did against New Orleans.

                  Just watch how he does in Carolina. You cannot begin to imagine how putrid the Jets organization is... it's way worse than ours currently is.
                  You have zero evidence there, just your beliefs. Which is fine, but if Darnold was better he'd have actually shown that in some way. Darnold averaged more interceptions per game in college, and if you're going to say that Darnold had less to work with with the Jets, than surely you'd have to admit Lock had much less to work with in college. Or does it only go one way?

                  I'm not going to pretend Lock has been a good QB, or even an average QB, because he hasn't, through 18 games he's been a bad NFL QB. But Darnold is worse. He's played 38 games and he's been worse. There's no debating that. It's not like one has to be good and the other bad, they've both been bad, Darnold a little worse.

                  Oh and as for all that Lock has to work with, aren't you on here constantly complaining about Fangio and Shurmur? You've expressed several times how awful you think they are, but all of a sudden they're a positive for Lock? And his "great" supporting cast is a complete myth, Sutton played 1 quarter in 2020 and Fant was hobbled the entire season with a bad ankle. Lock's weapons in the "loaded" offense were a rookie WR and a fourth WR who before last season had caught 39 catches for 533 yards and 1 touchdown in his career. Oh and a TE who could barely run.

                  But I'm not making excuses for Lock, he's been bad and several times last year it wouldn't have mattered if the team had Jerry Rice and Randy Moss both in their primes, he wasn't going to deliver. But that doesn't make Darnold a good QB.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Bad_Bubba View Post
                    Some people seem to believe that drafting a QB in the top 10 is the answer to all problems. If we draft a QB in the top 10 it just means we start a 3 to 5 year cycle to see if that QB can be a legitimate star in the NFL. Recent drafts a littered with QBs drafted in the top 10 whose teams gave up on them. Darnold is just the latest.


                    Exactly. People should go look at the results of all of the QBs that have been drafted in the top 10 since 2011. There's been nothing but disappointment from the majority, and 1 Super Bowl. In fact if you look at all of the top 10 QBs drafted between 2011 and 2017 (the QBs who's rookie contracts have run out) there's exactly 1 QB on the team that drafted him. That's Patrick Mahomes.

                    The odds say that San Francisco just made a massive mistake in their trade up.

                    Comment


                    • Pretty sure history shows that first round quarterbacks out perform post first round quarterbacks on average.

                      The question is whether or not the teams choosing quarterbacks graded them properly.
                      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                      You Mad Bro?
                      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                        I think Denver should trade with ATL for the number 4 pick. Schefter said today that SF is going to go for Mack Jones at 3 which would see Fields fall. I think Fields is an upgrade over Lock and he has a Dak Prescott feel to him, IMO
                        I still think the 49ers are taking Fields. I think they're just screwing around and not tipping their hand. Much like Mike Shanahan with Jay Cutler. Fields is literally the poster boy for the QB Collective which is a QB camp that Mike and Kyle Shanahan run. If you go to the webpage, the first person you see? Justin Fields. He also worked with Kyle Shanahan during the QB Collective camp in early March. MacJones was more accurate in college (not by much) but if the trade up is for a QB who can allow Kyle Shanahan to run his full playbook that he wants to run, meaning the bootlegs off of stretch action, and a QB that can run when needed, Justin Fields is 100% the QB they're taking.

                        https://qbcollective.com

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                          Pretty sure history shows that first round quarterbacks out perform post first round quarterbacks on average.

                          The question is whether or not the teams choosing quarterbacks graded them properly.
                          those stats are skewed in the manner that most teams dont put in the effort in post 1st round qbs like they do 1st rounders. who can blame them. a 1st rounder is putting all your chips on the line so your gonna do everything you can to make sure they succeed. they dont have that pressure when its a qb picked in any other round. its a little different with lock as that was johns pick and he tried to do everything possible to have his qb succeed. I dont think paton should shoulder that burden and id rather see him build the team his way than feel obligated to try and succeed with what john left.

                          not so sure it isnt mac jones kyle is after. washington drafted cousins after rg3 amd cousins ended up being the better qb there. it will be super interesting to see what happens
                          Glen Haven Fire

                          Comment


                          • Even if the odds indicate that 2 out of the first 5 QBs selected are likely to pan out, I wouldn’t let that probability deter me from trading up/staying put and drafting a QB. Especially if I’ve done due diligence on the kid and scouted him on-and-off the field— coming to the determination and confidence in him as someone that could take the reins of the offense and lead this team. I don’t care if that guy is QB1 or QB5 in the rankings.

                            The level and value of QB play post-Manning has been absolutely replaceable. Invest the high draft pick in a QB if you believe in him. Drew Lock will turn 25 during the 2021 season and he’s still a massive question mark. You’re not setting this franchise back if you take a gamble on a 20-year-old like Trey Lance. You still have a project QB either way, except one is five years younger, more durable, and has higher-level athletic tools (I’m not a Lance fan btw, just citing an example).

                            We can’t possibly be this attached to a 2nd round QB who has not shown any consistency. Of course, Lock has been nowhere near as abysmal as Paxton Lynch was. As each day goes by, I find myself hoping that Lock could maybe improve to the 16-20 tier of NFL starting QBs. I feel like I’ve been so brainwashed by the post-Manning era that getting barely average QB play for our offense would make me ecstatic.

                            Average is just not acceptable— especially in the AFC West where we will have to face Mahomes and Herbert for 15+ years. A great defense is not sustainable from year-to-year. There are no defensive dynasties. How many players from our 2015 SB-winning defense were still on the roster 2 years later? Even in the last KC matchup, Fangio had to employ a “bend don’t break” strategy against Mahomes and let the Chiefs march down the field. Barring injuries (see the most recent SB), no one is going to completely shutdown an offense like that. It is a passing league and we have yet to fight fire with fire year-in and year-out. We’ve lost the last 11 games against KC with defense being the “strongest” part of our team.

                            I’m tired of losing in general, but I would LOVE to see Paton & Co. make a legitimate statement and draft a QB they believe in with a top 10 pick— even if it means a 7-10 or 8-9 season in 2021. No more of these low-risk late 1sts (Lynch) or 2nds (Osweiler, Lock) that defined the Elway era. I want to see this front office swing for the fences.
                            2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
                            Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post

                              Minshew ? I said Mayfield.
                              No, the talk on these boards and the radio is a trade for Minshew as competition for Lock.

                              Mayfield isn't even a factor. He's not available.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

                                You have zero evidence there, just your beliefs. Which is fine, but if Darnold was better he'd have actually shown that in some way. Darnold averaged more interceptions per game in college, and if you're going to say that Darnold had less to work with with the Jets, than surely you'd have to admit Lock had much less to work with in college. Or does it only go one way?

                                I'm not going to pretend Lock has been a good QB, or even an average QB, because he hasn't, through 18 games he's been a bad NFL QB. But Darnold is worse. He's played 38 games and he's been worse. There's no debating that. It's not like one has to be good and the other bad, they've both been bad, Darnold a little worse.

                                Oh and as for all that Lock has to work with, aren't you on here constantly complaining about Fangio and Shurmur? You've expressed several times how awful you think they are, but all of a sudden they're a positive for Lock? And his "great" supporting cast is a complete myth, Sutton played 1 quarter in 2020 and Fant was hobbled the entire season with a bad ankle. Lock's weapons in the "loaded" offense were a rookie WR and a fourth WR who before last season had caught 39 catches for 533 yards and 1 touchdown in his career. Oh and a TE who could barely run.

                                But I'm not making excuses for Lock, he's been bad and several times last year it wouldn't have mattered if the team had Jerry Rice and Randy Moss both in their primes, he wasn't going to deliver. But that doesn't make Darnold a good QB.
                                I said that this was my opinion. I see a better QB in Darnold.... not hard to understand.

                                Yes, I have complained about Fangio and Shurmur. Has nothing to do with me believing that Darnold is better than Lock. Two separate issues.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X