Which QB to draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by myoung View Post

I think your point is well taken. Given that the 49ers like to run so many plays where the QB is on the move. That tells me that Wilson is really their best bet, but I think he is not going to be on the table. I think that makes Fields an obvious choice. For the record, I dislike Jones and hope we don't touch him. I am super excited to have the 49ers draft him (maybe that is wishful thinking on my part). This is an area where I think the 49ers feel differently than my interpretation.

That being said, I think there are a few other factors that least me towards them picking Mac Jones (other than me wanting other players to drop to us)

1. Perception or reality, there is a view is ready to go now. Honestly I don't see it, but there is enough people saying it I think there is something to it
    2. Jones moves through his projections quickly. While throwing on the run is critical, so is a read and react mentality in the QB
    3. Jones is very accurate from the pocket. I think the pre snap motion for the 49ers provides opportunities for a quick decision short pass offense. I think most people perceive that would be right down Jones alley. Get the ball out quickly to Deebo and Ayuik and let them run.

I do think the last couple of items on my list are perceived weaknesses of Fields.

I see your point about the traits that are probably enticing San Francisco.

But Jones is not going to have the benefit of a predominantly clean pocket in the NFL like he had at Alabama. Things break down and we really don't know how Jones handles adversity.

To me, that's too much of an unknown to make a trade like that.

Again I could be wrong. In fact I hope Jones is the guy San Francisco wants. Not only for us, but my brother is a 49ers fan and will be upset if they took him and I would absolutely love to bust his stones about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by sra84 View Post

I see your point about the traits that are probably enticing San Francisco.

But Jones is not going to have the benefit of a predominantly clean pocket in the NFL like he had at Alabama. Things break down and we really don't know how Jones handles adversity.

To me, that's too much of an unknown to make a trade like that.

Again I could be wrong. In fact I hope Jones is the guy San Francisco wants. Not only for us, but my brother is a 49ers fan and will be upset if they took him and I would absolutely love to bust his stones about it.
      I am there with you. I am not a Jones fan at all. If he is there at 9 I hope we trade back and fleece someone. I hope someone takes him before us so someone else falls.

I am a huge fan of both Wilson and Lawrence and would seek the farm for either one. I love Fields and would probably pay a future first to move up.

IMO, we better not move up for Lance or Jones, but I would not be surprised to see us take either of them at 9

Comment

I am there with you. I am not a Jones fan at all. If he is there at 9 I hope we trade back and fleece someone. I hope someone takes him before us so someone else falls.

I am a huge fan of both Wilson and Lawrence and would seek the farm for either one. I love Fields and would probably pay a future first to move up.

IMO, we better not move up for Lance or Jones, but I would not be surprised to see us take either of them at 9
        Yeah I have never been interested in Jones either. He's a good QB but he's nowhere near the difference maker the other top QB's are. I can deal with us possibly taking Lance if he falls to #9, even though I have my reservations. I just want no part of Jones.

Comment

• I like the idea of a mid-round QB.

(I don't like hearing the "Teddy Bridgewater to the Broncos" rumors)

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
            I like the idea of a mid-round QB.

(I don't like hearing the "Teddy Bridgewater to the Broncos" rumors)

agree with you. I am really not sure what Bridgewater gets us. Do you have a preferred mid round QB you are thinking about?

Comment

agree with you. I am really not sure what Bridgewater gets us. Do you have a preferred mid round QB you are thinking about?
              Possibly Jamie Newman???

Comment

• I actually think the 49ners are thinking Mac Jones. They are in a win now mode not looking to develop a QB over several years, Jones is probably the most ready of the 3 remaining QBs to start (assuming Lawrence and Wilson are one and two). I also agree with those who think Jones is not worthy of a high pick. This reminds me of the Giants taking Jones at #4 when most teams had him much lower (some people had Lock higher because they thought he had a higher ceiling) - So far in their pro careers, Jones and Lock are similar.

Comment

• I am on the Mac Jones train myself....if Stokely thinks he is the next Tom Brady than that is good enough for me!
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Possibly Jamie Newman???
                    Newman seems like a late round guy to me. Maybe a flyer in the 6th round. He has a big arm but a lot of questions. I would be happy to take a late round flyer.

I like Mills in the second. I think he could end up going as the 6th QB off the board. I am not as high on Mond and Trask, but I know some others are.

Comment

Newman seems like a late round guy to me. Maybe a flyer in the 6th round. He has a big arm but a lot of questions. I would be happy to take a late round flyer.

I like Mills in the second. I think he could end up going as the 6th QB off the board. I am not as high on Mond and Trask, but I know some others are.
                      I would like to see some competition for Drew Lock to push him a little, but nothing to freak him out.

A scrambler, with a strong arm could be a nice backup?

Comment

I would like to see some competition for Drew Lock to push him a little, but nothing to freak him out.

A scrambler, with a strong arm could be a nice backup?

I agree that would be good long term. Especially if he had some long term potential. At a minimum it would be good to have a backup in place, given that Lock has missed some games.

Comment

I agree that would be good long term. Especially if he had some long term potential. At a minimum it would be good to have a backup in place, given that Lock has missed some games.
                          I think we should continue to pick mid-round QB's and always have a QB developing behind our Starter.

Comment

• I prefer they bring in a vet to help him with all the little details of being a professional QB.

Smith has been at the top of my list. Obviously he wants too big a role or contract. Broncos need a vet to help develop whether Lock or #9.

JMO but Rypien is a capable third string. Last thing the team needs is a mid level project QB to “compete” with Lock. Broncos need to decide on Lock or the next great QB. Then do everything to develop him.

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                              I prefer they bring in a vet to help him with all the little details of being a professional QB.

Smith has been at the top of my list. Obviously he wants too big a role or contract. Broncos need a vet to help develop whether Lock or #9.

JMO but Rypien is a capable third string. Last thing the team needs is a mid level project QB to “compete” with Lock. Broncos need to decide on Lock or the next great QB. Then do everything to develop him.
                              I like Alex Smith and his comeback, but I am terrified for him and his family when he plays now. I hope he retires.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                                I prefer they bring in a vet to help him with all the little details of being a professional QB.

Rypien may be just a capable third string, but he also has the ear and respect of Lock. Lock spoke very highly of him multiple times when he started to reverse the downward spiral he was on. Honestly I believe there’s a disconnect between Lock and Shurmur (or the QB coach) and Rypien seems to be able to bridge that gap, at least somewhat. Rypien may be another Kellen Moore in the making.

Comment

Working...
                                X