Which QB to draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

Rypien may be just a capable third string, but he also has the ear and respect of Lock. Lock spoke very highly of him multiple times when he started to reverse the downward spiral he was on. Honestly I believe there’s a disconnect between Lock and Shurmur (or the QB coach) and Rypien seems to be able to bridge that gap, at least somewhat. Rypien may be another Kellen Moore in the making.
    Rypien fits that mold he is really good mentally at the game and it shows but his arm is super lacking he struggles throw beyond 20 yards down field or tight windows
    sigpic
    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• Just a gut feeling, but, if the Broncos are targeting a QB in the first round, I am starting to think it's Trey Lance.

First, I absolutely believe that they want to give Lock this year to prove himself.

Second, the other four QB's are most likely to be expected to start at some point this year, while Lance is probably the only one whom everyone expects to redshirt this year, given his limited play at a division 2 college. That would give the Broncos the built in excuse to roll the entire year with Lock, regardless of how he does.

I believe that San Francisco is taking Fields, therefore, if Lance makes it to #4, I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos make a move.

Comment

• Originally posted by sra84 View Post
        Just a gut feeling, but, if the Broncos are targeting a QB in the first round, I am starting to think it's Trey Lance.

First, I absolutely believe that they want to give Lock this year to prove himself.

Second, the other four QB's are most likely to be expected to start at some point this year, while Lance is probably the only one whom everyone expects to redshirt this year, given his limited play at a division 2 college. That would give the Broncos the built in excuse to roll the entire year with Lock, regardless of how he does.

I believe that San Francisco is taking Fields, therefore, if Lance makes it to #4, I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos make a move.
        Interesting feeling... and for sure Lance is an exciting prospect. However everything I have read about him suggests he is a project. With just 318 pass attempts there's not a lot to assess and I can't see a way he could contribute in his rookie season.
        I dont mind that he is young, I really like his evident high football IQ, and film study, even his ball protection inclination but it's a hugh risk to trade up to 4. I If he fell to 9, then maybe a gamble to take. Not my preference though (I'm still in the Lock Camp).

Comment

• Originally posted by BiscuitBronco View Post

Interesting feeling... and for sure Lance is an exciting prospect. However everything I have read about him suggests he is a project. With just 318 pass attempts there's not a lot to assess and I can't see a way he could contribute in his rookie season.
          I dont mind that he is young, I really like his evident high football IQ, and film study, even his ball protection inclination but it's a hugh risk to trade up to 4. I If he fell to 9, then maybe a gamble to take. Not my preference though (I'm still in the Lock Camp).
          Agreed. I was never on the Lance bandwagon. He's a little too raw for my liking, especially this high in the draft. And I'm always skeptical about taking a division 2 QB. Especially, one with limited experience.

I just feel that if a QB is in play for us, Lance would probably be their preference.
          I don't think that the Broncos are looking to trade up but you never know. If he fell to them, then I think it's more likely they could take him, although, I'd prefer to trade down.

Comment

• Lance is enticing with his potential but I just feel he is a bad fit for the Broncos. Just the wrong situation for him and the Broncos. They draft him and it just ruins two QBs IMO.

Lance is not ready to start Day 1. That is what the Broncos need. A consistent established starter. I also think Lock is in position to prove he is that QB this year. We will see.

It actually makes more sense for Atlanta to draft Lance. He gets to sit behind Ryan for a season or two and learn to be a professional. They get their QB of the future.

The young man is talented enough to be that guy if the team drafting him is patient. The Broncos are not that team.

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
              Lance is enticing with his potential but I just feel he is a bad fit for the Broncos. Just the wrong situation for him and the Broncos. They draft him and it just ruins two QBs IMO.

Lance is not ready to start Day 1. That is what the Broncos need. A consistent established starter. I also think Lock is in position to prove he is that QB this year. We will see.

It actually makes more sense for Atlanta to draft Lance. He gets to sit behind Ryan for a season or two and learn to be a professional. They get their QB of the future.

The young man is talented enough to be that guy if the team drafting him is patient. The Broncos are not that team.
              I think the question that the FO has to ask is how close do we really think we are to competing with the Chiefs?

I do agree with you that Lance is probably not our guy. I think he is an option for several teams but probably not a great fit for us. If we can't get Lawrence, Wilson, or Fields I hope we don't consider a QB this year. I would prefer Parsons, a tackle, or trade down in that scenario.

Comment

• It's interesting to see everyones take. Everyone has a different opinions on who they prefer. Just goes to show, nobody knows until they are in the NFL.

While Jones is my number one, then Lance, then Fields. I'm OK with them taking any of them because, nobody knows. It's like a lottery ticket, and u don't win the lottery unless u play. I'm also fine taking a shot at mond or mills or those guys in round 3-4. Going to be an interesting draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

Rypien fits that mold he is really good mentally at the game and it shows but his arm is super lacking he struggles throw beyond 20 yards down field or tight windows
                  Rypien is slowly improving. I noticed his noodle arm right away. It was pretty bad. But there is a lot that can be done with technique to fix that. A lot of being a 'strong arm' QB doesn't rely on physical strength so much as ergonomics. And the kid really is very smart, he has a decent football IQ.
                  Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

• I really do not understand the Hate on Rippin Rypien. I think he has already proven that he more than capable of being at bare least a Back Up QB for the Denver Broncos. I thought when he came in and played lights out and destroyed the NY Jets last year was more than proof that Rippin Rypien could handle the Job. Maybe even push Drew if needed to maybe even beat Drew for the starting Job However I think Drew will have a Pro Bowl type of Year and he will win 12 Games this Year and Propel Denver into the playoffs. I say if Denver does not Draft a QB at the 9 spot I am perfectly happy because I really do think Drew will Ball Out.

On a side note I am liking Trey Lance a lot and if Denver were to Draft Trey I would not mind either.

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
                      I really do not understand the Hate on Rippin Rypien. I think he has already proven that he more than capable of being at bare least a Back Up QB for the Denver Broncos. I thought when he came in and played lights out and destroyed the NY Jets last year was more than proof that Rippin Rypien could handle the Job. Maybe even push Drew if needed to maybe even beat Drew for the starting Job However I think Drew will have a Pro Bowl type of Year and he will win 12 Games this Year and Propel Denver into the playoffs. I say if Denver does not Draft a QB at the 9 spot I am perfectly happy because I really do think Drew will Ball Out.

On a side note I am liking Trey Lance a lot and if Denver were to Draft Trey I would not mind either.
                      i wouold call 19/31 61% 2 tds and 3 ints playing lights out but i guess thats just me. not to mention it was against the second worst team in the league.
                      sigpic
                      oakland raders gm
                      latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

i wouold call 19/31 61% 2 tds and 3 ints playing lights out but i guess thats just me. not to mention it was against the second worst team in the league.

It was still a win right? and versus an NFL Team in a regular season game. Brett is a Great Back Up QB.

Comment

• If we do not go QB with within round one, I do believe there's a chance we consider one of the next tier guys, and apparently Mond and Mills and Trask are getting some attention, maybe as early as round 2 per Zierlein of NFL Network. I'm sort of reconsidering my thoughts around a QB draftee, but one option I still think ok is to acquire a QB in round 3. But if one or more of these players mentioned gain momentum, and end up at round 2 value, I am less excited. It's either round one or no sooner than 3 for me. I would hate to pass up on a first rounder, and then use a 2nd for a next tier player.

Then again, these players are like stocks....and if on April 29th into the 30th, their stocks have risen enough, that will be the going market rate. Nothing before they are selected matters.
                          Last edited by CanDB; 04-17-2021, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• In my opinion, any top 10 team in this draft who are not desperate for a QB, especially in round one, can make some good capital in exchange for whatever a team moving up is willing to offer.

Atlanta sits in the best position, and might be getting offers too good to refuse. But should they not be in the QB market? I say sure, but tier 2 would save them coin and give them time to learn from Ryan. If I'm them, I listening hard to all comers.

Cinci is next. Sure, they may love Sewell, but they may also be fine with Slater and extra picks, given the right trade partner.

Then Miami steps up, after making a good deal with SF/Philly. Smart move in my books! But at 6, and no QB desperation, they could double dip. They are apparently in the WR market, but if they can move back a little more, they can still get either Chase, Smith or Waddle. And Pitts might be in the mix.

Detroit made the deal to acquire Goff, and if I'm them, I listen to offers. They don't need a QB this year. Moving back a little or even a lot will help them secure more picks, because they are not a good team.

Carolina is possibly a QB hungry team, maybe not. They have options.

Then there's The Broncos. I love trading back this year if it can reap talent this and next year. We can always go QB in 3 or 4. And if this year goes poorly, we have capital to trade upward for the best player on our QB board.

Comment

• Top Day 2 QB Sleepers Broncos Could Target Under the Radar | Yardbarker

So, I like this article....I really like the idea of Monds in the fourth.......the first three rounds , don't care which order.......but I'm hopeful we get ILB, T, RB, { this order is my preference } ........QB in the fourth........then CB & S the rest of the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post
                                Top Day 2 QB Sleepers Broncos Could Target Under the Radar | Yardbarker

So, I like this article....I really like the idea of Monds in the fourth.......the first three rounds , don't care which order.......but I'm hopeful we get ILB, T, RB, { this order is my preference } ........QB in the fourth........then CB & S the rest of the way.
                                We all have our own strategies and preferences. Personally, I’m not even looking at drafting a QB in this draft.

You are forgetting the draft pick it will likely take to trade for Bridgewater ( as the article states) . So that means a 4th for a “not ready to play” Mond. And then another for the trade. No clue if the pick for Bridgewater is a future pick or a late/ mid rd this year.

Going to be interesting to see how the Broncos choose to play this. So many options.

Comment

Working...
                                X