No announcement yet.

Which QB to draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s definitely tough to evaluate Jones with all the talent he had around him. Frankly, most backup QBs in the NFL would look amazing playing behind Alabama’s oline, which simply outmatched their opponents. That’s not even considering the run game and the weapons on the receiving end. His reported intelligence and work ethic are positives. He could become an efficient and accurate starter, or he could just be a competent backup. Brady lite or Brady Quinn? I find it really hard to judge. Personally, I wouldn’t take the chance at 9 when we should be able to take the top player at their position. It’s the kind of risk that’s worth it in later rounds, though he probably won’t last past the first given the premium for QBs.

Comment

i think jones will be better than most think. I mean if hes teaching bill obrien the alabama offense and saban trusts him to do that..he sounds like everything you want from a qb intelligence wise. you want someone who eats, sleeps and breathes his job. Id love to have him.
      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

As a stout Drew Lock supporter......I wouldn't cry if we draft Mac Jones

Comment

Stay with the # 9 pick, and if you think Jones is a NFL QB then bring him in for some competition with Lock.

Many say they are happy with the Defense and Offense, with one exception the QB position can use a upgrade. If so, then focus on this and if Jones is available at # 9. ( I would be OK with this).

Just think the talk about Watson needs to be shelfed, TOO Much baggage !

Comment

I don't get the hype for Jones. He is, at best, a high second round QB.

His ceiling is not high unless he's playing with a loaded team. He's not a QB who can carry a team.

Compare that to when Justin Fields carried Ohio State, who was missing a minority of their starters, due to a covid-19 outbreak, to a win against Michigan State. He put the team on his back. That's what a franchise QB is. I don't see that in Jones.

That's why I would be ok moving up for Fields, if the opportunity is there.

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post
              I don't get the hype for Jones. He is, at best, a high second round QB.

His ceiling is not high unless he's playing with a loaded team. He's not a QB who can carry a team.

Compare that to when Justin Fields carried Ohio State, who was missing a minority of their starters, due to a covid-19 outbreak, to a win against Michigan State. He put the team on his back. That's what a franchise QB is. I don't see that in Jones.

That's why I would be ok moving up for Fields, if the opportunity is there.
              I think this is a loaded Team, Guess that gives him a higher ceiling. Actually watch him play, he is like a surgeon and uses the entire field.

Comment

I have Watched Fields a few times, and he looked pretty good.
                I think he's worth moving up for.
                I guess he won't drop to 9 ????

Comment

Been checking the Mock Drafts after the two major trades and now, they have Denver making a move with Atlanta for the #4 pick. But they show the pick to be Trey Lance and I wonder if this would be a good move or not. Mypoint is IF they know Lock is the QB this season, they should stand Pat at # 9, their will be the cream of the crop to chose from.

Comment

Originally posted by colowoz01 View Post
                    Been checking the Mock Drafts after the two major trades and now, they have Denver making a move with Atlanta for the #4 pick. But they show the pick to be Trey Lance and I wonder if this would be a good move or not. Mypoint is IF they know Lock is the QB this season, they should stand Pat at # 9, their will be the cream of the crop to chose from.
                    Interesting.....many reports I have received say SF takes Lance. Who knows??

Comment

Originally posted by dgobronco View Post
                      It’s definitely tough to evaluate Jones with all the talent he had around him. Frankly, most backup QBs in the NFL would look amazing playing behind Alabama’s oline, which simply outmatched their opponents. That’s not even considering the run game and the weapons on the receiving end. His reported intelligence and work ethic are positives. He could become an efficient and accurate starter, or he could just be a competent backup. Brady lite or Brady Quinn? I find it really hard to judge. Personally, I wouldn’t take the chance at 9 when we should be able to take the top player at their position. It’s the kind of risk that’s worth it in later rounds, though he probably won’t last past the first given the premium for QBs.
                      Nobody knows how good he is in the nfl, same goes for all college QBs. Gotta swing to hit right? We do have a loaded offense as well. I really really like his accuracy and pocket presence. His hard work and determination. You can't teach that.

Comment

Originally posted by colowoz01 View Post

I think this is a loaded Team, Guess that gives him a higher ceiling. Actually watch him play, he is like a surgeon and uses the entire field.
                        While I think the Broncos have to solid roster, they're not loaded.

I did watch him play. He had the best team around him. He's not going to have the protection, running game support, and constantly wide open receivers, like he got in Alabama.

And, whether some agree or not, we are hindered by Fangio and Shurmur as HC and OC.

Also, the salary cap and free agency makes it near impossible to have a loaded roster year to year.

I just don't think Mac Jones is the kind of QB who can carry a team and keep them in contention.
                        Last edited by sra84; 03-28-2021, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by S037474 View Post
                          Our team is set on both sides of the ball other than QB. Lock lovers, no need to worry, he's going no where and gets a real chance to start and will probably win that chance.

However, should Lock fail, the Broncos draft a QB in the 1st. This team is ready to win and win now. A LB will not win the division. In 2016 we had th 4th best defense yet we were the 3rd best team in the division. Let's NOT repeat 2016.

A. Trade up, 2 firsts and 2 seconds to trade up to 3 to get who the broncos like if he's there?

B. Stay put and see what falls? Scraps? I'd like this if it's Mac Jones but I have a feeling his stock will sky rocket after pro day.

C. Take a chance on Mond or Newman in the later rounds if the Broncos really like one of these guys.

My number one realistic QB is Jones. He reminds me of a immobile Joe Burrow. Smart, dedicated, reads Defenses, processes through his receivers, super accurate. That's everything I want in a QB. I don't care he doesn't have a big arm. Brady doesn't have a big arm. I don't care he's not mobile, Manning was not mobile nor is brady, or marino, or many other greats.

Brady has a big enough arm.

The way Mac Jones is talked about reminds me of Chad Pennington. Who wants that?
                          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                          You Mad Bro?
                          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

There seems to be a trend that thinks a rookie QB just comes in and plays well from day one.

Broncos pick any of these rookies early or especially in mid rds they will take time to develop and take their lumps learning to be a professional while playing. Same as Lock. The struggles to adapt are still there just with a new shiny toy.

As for drafting another QB to develop and keeping Lock.. horrible idea IMO.

Pick a path and commit to it. If Broncos choose a QB at #9 so be it. Lock has to go. If they choose to continue to develop Lock then you don’t confuse the situation by drafting a QB to take his job. Lock is not an established QB that is ready to be moved.

Either way they need a vet in the bldg to help develop either a new QB or Lock. Smith is my preferred choice. Then the QB room has a vet, a developing QB ( Lock or drafted) and Rypien as a third.

Paton and Broncos will need to make a choice and stick with it! With the QB, with the OC, with the system in general. Bad organizations are always in a state of constant change. There is no mystery why they keep losing. The biggest gift Paton can bring to the Broncos is stability and consistency. Still waiting to see if he does. How he chooses to handle this QB issue will reveal a lot.

Comment

Justin Fields, Ohio State

While a lot of people have pointed to the disappointing recent history of Ohio State quarterbacks in the NFL as a reason to be concerned about Fields, this has nothing to do with the Dwayne Haskins and Cardale Jones of the world and everything do with Fields' consistency issues. He can dominate a game with his arms and/or legs like few others. But he can just as easily go ice cold and cost his team opportunities.

That inconsistency was evident in Ohio State's 2020 season. Fields dominated three bad teams in Nebraska, Penn State and Rutgers to start the year (13 total TDs, 0 INTs). Then he struggled mightily against ranked opponents Indiana and Northwestern (3 total TDs, 5 INTs). He made up for it with a spectacular game against Clemson (6 TDs, 1 INT) in the college football semifinals, but an injury kept him from being 100 percent against Alabama in the National Championship and that game ended in a blowout.

Fields' development in the NFL will ultimately come down to being in the right system under the right coach. He's got as big an arm as any quarterback in the draft this year and his speed/elusiveness as a runner places him in elite company even amongst current NFL quarterbacks. However, he's still a work in progress when it comes to reading the field and, because he's so athletic, his mechanics can get sloppy, which leads to overthrows.

Fields is the ultimate high-ceiling, low-floor guy. It will be up to the coaching staff that drafts him to raise that floor. It will take fine-tuning his ability to make quick reads and not stare down his primary target. It will take working on his internal clock and not holding onto the ball for too long. It will take being more consistent across the board against good teams and bad.

Fields could turn into a Pro Bowler. He could also be a Top 5 bust. It's impossible to say which way it's leaning now. For a projected Top 5 pick, that's not necessarily a great sign

Comment

Trey Lance, North Dakota State

Trey Lance has every tool you'd want for a modern NFL quarterback. But tools are one thing. Polish and having the mental side of the game locked down are another. Lance's only real question mark is whether he'll be able to translate his immense talent to an NFL field. And he's got a lot to prove in that department.

Lance is 6-foot-4, 226-pounds, has a big arm, can run and sheds tacklers like an in-his-prime Cam Newton. He aced his pro day and likely solidified himself as a top-five pick. He's uber-talented and possesses the kind of skill to make scouts drool. But plenty of talented guys have washed out at the next level.

Lance has only played one full season of college football and it was in the FCS. He led North Dakota State to a 16-0 record and an FCS title in 2019 and was brilliant along the way. He completed 66.9 percent of his passes for 2,786 yards, averaged 9.7 yards per attempt, and had 28 touchdowns and no interceptions. He also rushed for 1,100 yards and 14 more scores. But after entering the 2020 season with a ton of hype surrounding him, Lance played in just one game -- in which he underperformed -- and shut it down to focus on the draft.

That has to concern teams looking to select him. One great season against FCS competition likely isn't enough to convince NFL scouts Lance is ready for the big time. Which means his suitors will be betting heavily on his talent shining through in the end.

The jump from the FCS to the NFL is steep and Lance will have to make it without having a ton of experience. That could spell trouble for whichever team drafts him.

Comment

Working...
                                X