Which QB to draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S037474 View Post

Good info, thanks for taking the time to gather all that. I think this also shows nobody knows who the best QB will be in the bunch, a few times a star is drafted last, like marino and Jackson.

If Jones is there at 9, I don't think twice, I swing. You're right, small percentage he's a franchise guy but the percentage is better than if we never draft one.

I'm not buying this crap that u can't have 2 QBs on the same team with starting potential. Let Drew play half the season or so and see if there's big improvement, if there is, GREAT!!! I think we will all be thrilled. Now we have a backup, he plays a few games and looks good, we trade him. Really, who cares at this point? We have our starter.

If Drew stinks it up, say bad, might have to pull him game 3 or 4. Let Jones step in, Lock can develop behind him and be the back up. We get more development time and save a year of losing hopefully.

I have a feeling 49ers grab Jones at 3 though. I'm not a fan of trading up in this draft.
    Regardless of whether or not Denver drafts a QB, think they need to sign a veteran QB to bring maturity and experience to the room. IMO the best one still available is Alex Smith.

Agree that having Lock and Jones, for example, could be workable. Personal preference is to get a starter like Micah Parsons. In the event one of the top five QBs is available at #9, Denver will have offers to trade down which would get second/third round picks that, given the depth of the draft pool, could enable them to greatly strengthen the roster.

We shall see.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by BFFL71 View Post
      Im not sure why a lot not people feel that Mac Jones can't be successful in the NFL. He played an all sec schedule quarter back for the national champion Alabama. Yes he had a good cast around him but he certainly had to play at a high level playing for Nick Sabin . He is a good quarterback Broncos could sure do a lot worse. All QB are a gamble Jones played against quality teams compared to Lawrence who played against much less teams..also Jones beat Lawrence in the playoffs. Just my thoughts
      Playing quarterback for Nick Saban means nothing when looking for a franchise quarterback.

Tua is an anomaly who still hasn’t proven he’s the guy.
      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
      You Mad Bro?
      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

i found this article interesting:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ia-peter-king/

12) Finally: Let’s stop this narrative, “You better get your quarterback this year, because the draft will be lousy at the position next year.” Drives me crazy. Had Joe Burrow been in the 2019 draft, he’d have been a day-three pick; he blew up that fall at LSU and got picked first overall in 2020. Zach Wilson, a year ago today, was a in a three-man competition for the starting job at Brigham Young; now he could be the second overall pick. Mac Jones won the Alabama QB competition last summer and had a great season, vaulting him from draft afterthought into high-first-round position. It’s okay sometimes to say you just don’t know what the future holds in prospect-forecasting, and this year it’s particularly smart.

The 2021 college season is likely to have more players playing full seasons (instead of opting out due to COVID concerns); likely to have regular and significantly more thorough scouting of players with pro scouts back on campuses; likely to have a much clearer picture of who’s actually good entering the 2022 draft. A year ago, not a soul in the Mel Kiper fraternity would have picked Zach Wilson to be a high pick or even a very good college player. So the best thing to do, trying to forecast the 2022 quarterback crop, is to watch the development of Spencer Rattler (Oklahoma), Sam Howell (North Carolina), Bo Nix (Auburn)—and whoever emerges from the scrum of uncelebrated quarterbacks. History tells us we have no clue how quarterbacks will roll off the board 13 months prior to the draft.
        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Regardless of whether or not Denver drafts a QB, think they need to sign a veteran QB to bring maturity and experience to the room. IMO the best one still available is Alex Smith.

Agree that having Lock and Jones, for example, could be workable. Personal preference is to get a starter like Micah Parsons. In the event one of the top five QBs is available at #9, Denver will have offers to trade down which would get second/third round picks that, given the depth of the draft pool, could enable them to greatly strengthen the roster.

We shall see.
          Agree with the strategies. Parsons and Smith would both fill significant needs.

Im actually a bit surprised Smith is still available.

And that the Broncos have not been a bit more active in free agency strengthening the roster before the draft. Quite possibly just my own impatience.

Comment

Daniel Jeremiah said that the “overwhelming majority” of people around the league believe that the 49ers traded up to take Mac Jones at 3.
            2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
            Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
              Daniel Jeremiah said that the “overwhelming majority” of people around the league believe that the 49ers traded up to take Mac Jones at 3.
              Please let this be true, just so I don’t have to worry that the Broncos will end up with him.
              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
              You Mad Bro?
              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I would not be surprised if if Kyle takes Jones in the 3rd

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                  Picking the least mobile QB to run bootlegs? That’s a strange fit IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

Picking the least mobile QB to run bootlegs? That’s a strange fit IMO.
                    Jones apparently ran a 4.7 at his pro day. He’s mobile enough for the 49ers.
                    You Mad Bro?
                    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

alex smith supposedly wants to have a chance to start. thats probably part of why hes still available

jake the snake ran a similar 40 time...maybe a bit slower and he ran the bootleg all the time
                      Last edited by armedequation; 03-29-2021, 08:37 AM.
                      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

Agree with the strategies. Parsons and Smith would both fill significant needs.

Im actually a bit surprised Smith is still available.

And that the Broncos have not been a bit more active in free agency strengthening the roster before the draft. Quite possibly just my own impatience.
                        Picked up option on Von Miller, re-signed Shelby Harris, signed Justin Simmons long-term, did not pick up option for Kareem Jackson and signed him for a lesser amount, signed Ronald Darby, signed Kyle Fuller, signed Mike Boone, tendered Tim Patrick, Alexander Johnson, Calvin Anderson, Diontae Spencer and Trey Marshall. Secondary has been rebuilt and key players have been retained.

Denver's D could use an ILB, DL, Corner and Safety. O could use a T, RB, TE and QB. We'll see what happens from now through the end of the Draft.

Could still re-sign Will Parks, Troy Fumagalli, etc. Free agents like Alex and Aldon Smith are still available. Still have third most cap space in the league and could sign more UFAs. Still a month before the Draft. Watson's situation won't be resolved for a long time, maybe a year or more, so that gambit seems closed for the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Picked up option on Von Miller, re-signed Shelby Harris, signed Justin Simmons long-term, did not pick up option for Kareem Jackson and signed him for a lesser amount, signed Ronald Darby, signed Kyle Fuller, signed Mike Boone, tendered Tim Patrick, Alexander Johnson, Calvin Anderson, Diontae Spencer and Trey Marshall. Secondary has been rebuilt and key players have been retained.

Denver's D could use an ILB, DL, Corner and Safety. O could use a T, RB, TE and QB. We'll see what happens from now through the end of the Draft.

Could still re-sign Will Parks, Troy Fumagalli, etc. Free agents like Alex and Aldon Smith are still available. Still have third most cap space in the league and could sign more UFAs. Still a month before the Draft. Watson's situation won't be resolved for a long time, maybe a year or more, so that gambit seems closed for the moment.
                          I got a UFA for you, Sam. Franklin "Mac" McCain. Every board I've seen has him going undrafted. He screwed his knee up, and didn't look right when he came back. I would sign the hell out of him to find out, though.

Agree, though. I think we've done a pretty solid job so far this offseason. And I might be underselling it after the Fuller and Jackson deals.

Comment

Jones is never going to be a threat with his legs outside of the pocket or on-the-run, but his footwork and mechanics are very clean. Whether it’s on bootleg rollouts or other run-action dropbacks, I think his feet and balance are pretty adequate for a Kyle Shanahan system.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post

I got a UFA for you, Sam. Franklin "Mac" McCain. Every board I've seen has him going undrafted. He screwed his knee up, and didn't look right when he came back. I would sign the hell out of him to find out, though.

Agree, though. I think we've done a pretty solid job so far this offseason. And I might be underselling it after the Fuller and Jackson deals.
                              So, you think he might go undrafted? Denver has three 7th round picks and he might be available then. Some guys prefer to go undrafted and sign as an UDFA rather than being picked late. They get to choose the team and can make more money than 7th rounders. I will make a note of the name.

Comment

Broncos GM George Paton, a regular on the Pro Circuit, is planning to attend Ohio State’s Pro Day Tuesday. Team will also have a strong scouting presence at Bama’s 2nd Pro Day, as they did at their first one. #BroncosCountry @KOAColorado
                                https://twitter.com/bkdenversports/s...925077507?s=21

Some interesting news. Fields and Jones are slated to throw on the same day, and it appears Paton is going to watch Fields in-person. Jones, of course, already had one throwing session at Bama’s first Pro Day.

Comment

Working...
                                X