Which QB to draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

So, you think he might go undrafted? Denver has three 7th round picks and he might be available then. Some guys prefer to go undrafted and sign as an UDFA rather than being picked late. They get to choose the team and can make more money than 7th rounders. I will make a note of the name.
    With three picks in the 7th round, assuming they still have them at that point, that's not a bad option. Grab a few upside guys.

Comment

Justin Fields’ Pro Day starts soon. I’m happy that Paton and Shula are in attendance. Regardless of what this actually means for their evaluations/reasons for going— as a fan I can’t help but be excited because Fields is 100% my favorite QB in the draft this year.

As soon as I start putting on my armchair GM hat, my excitement is tempered by the sheer amount of smoke that SF is blowing with their pick at #3 and what ATL may or may not do... so many variables at play come draft day. Heck, even NYJ could take Fields over Wilson if he was their QB2 all along.

I digress, even if it’s just any other Pro Day for a QB— I’m excited to see Fields execute NFL throws in front of our new GM, who specified that he’d be traveling to some Pro Days to “definitely” watch QBs. Fields has also been working with esteemed QB trainer Quincy Avery, so that’s promising.

2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
      Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

Mac Jones is also throwing right now at Bama’s 2nd Pro Day (with Najee Harris and DeVonta Smith catching passes) and Denver has an area scout in attendance. Jones’ mechanics and footwork are just so clean and effortless. He’s not going to look good in shorts or move like a world-class athlete— but his accuracy, release, and relaxed demeanor just screams a starting NFL QB for 15+ years.

This 2021 QB class is every bit as good or better than the 2018 draft class just as prospects coming out.

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
          Justin Fields’ Pro Day starts soon. I’m happy that Paton and Shula are in attendance. Regardless of what this actually means for their evaluations/reasons for going— as a fan I can’t help but be excited because Fields is 100% my favorite QB in the draft this year.

As soon as I start putting on my armchair GM hat, my excitement is tempered by the sheer amount of smoke that SF is blowing with their pick at #3 and what ATL may or may not do... so many variables at play come draft day. Heck, even NYJ could take Fields over Wilson if he was their QB2 all along.

I digress, even if it’s just any other Pro Day for a QB— I’m excited to see Fields execute NFL throws in front of our new GM, who specified that he’d be traveling to some Pro Days to “definitely” watch QBs. Fields has also been working with esteemed QB trainer Quincy Avery, so that’s promising.
          I like Fields as well and he used to be my favorite. After watching more BYU games and researching Wilson's pro day, I have changed my opinion. Quite frankly it is not even close. Wilson has a an arm that no one else, in this draft, can come close to. The kid throws 45 yard in routes like most NFL QBs throw at 25 yards. His deep accuracy is unreal. He is likely a lock at #2 and I would seriously consider paying San Francisco type of capital with the Jets if we could get him. Of course, my opinion doesn't matter and I doubt that would ever happen.

I think Fields is in reach and I hope we moving up if needed. The main concern I have with him, is his running style. He took some bad hits because he doesn't do a great job of avoiding it. I really worry about it. he needs to learn to be like Russell Wilson and not a mini Cam Newton. The hit he took against Clemson, is a real problem. While he is a good runner, he is not Lamar Jackson. Fields toughness is impressive but not sure I ever want our QB taking those hits.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung View Post

I like Fields as well and he used to be my favorite. After watching more BYU games and researching Wilson's pro day, I have changed my opinion. Quite frankly it is not even close. Wilson has a an arm that no one else, in this draft, can come close to. The kid throws 45 yard in routes like most NFL QBs throw at 25 yards. His deep accuracy is unreal. He is likely a lock at #2 and I would seriously consider paying San Francisco type of capital with the Jets if we could get him. Of course, my opinion doesn't matter and I doubt that would ever happen.

I think Fields is in reach and I hope we moving up if needed. The main concern I have with him, is his running style. He took some bad hits because he doesn't do a great job of avoiding it. I really worry about it. he needs to learn to be like Russell Wilson and not a mini Cam Newton. The hit he took against Clemson, is a real problem. While he is a good runner, he is not Lamar Jackson. Fields toughness is impressive but not sure I ever want our QB taking those hits.
            Wilson is a monster for sure. I don’t talk about him as much because I think there’s no chance he slips past 3. He’s an insane talent through and through. He’ll be fun to watch wherever he goes. And of course, it would be a pipe dream to move up to get him but it’s fun to think about.

Fields 100% has to learn to protect himself better. I don’t think it’s a red flag, but it’s absolutely necessary to improve on that aspect to have a long career in the NFL. To absorb that hit and torch Clemson’s defense thereafter showed real grit and toughness in a high stakes situation— but when he’s playing a 17-game regular season, he has to be more mindful towards his durability. Wilson and Mahomes all do a good job of that, as you alluded to.

Comment

justin feilds is probably my favorite QB
              sigpic
              oakland raders gm
              latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                Mac Jones is also throwing right now at Bama’s 2nd Pro Day (with Najee Harris and DeVonta Smith catching passes) and Denver has an area scout in attendance. Jones’ mechanics and footwork are just so clean and effortless. He’s not going to look good in shorts or move like a world-class athlete— but his accuracy, release, and relaxed demeanor just screams a starting NFL QB for 15+ years.

This 2021 QB class is every bit as good or better than the 2018 draft class just as prospects coming out.
                I would draft Mac Jones.

Comment

I would draft Fields, Jones, Lawrence, or Wilson. I would pay a heavy price for Wilson or Lawrence. I have hesitations on Lance but that is only because I have not personally seen much more than measurables on him. David Mills also had an excellent pro day. I wouldn't take him in round 1 but he looks like the next guy up to me. I would take him over Mond and Trask at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung View Post
                    I would draft Fields, Jones, Lawrence, or Wilson. I would pay a heavy price for Wilson or Lawrence. I have hesitations on Lance but that is only because I have not personally seen much more than measurables on him. David Mills also had an excellent pro day. I wouldn't take him in round 1 but he looks like the next guy up to me. I would take him over Mond and Trask at this point.
                    Well it's pretty obvious the 49ers want jones so if we trade with Atlanta we could get Fields or Lance. Just a matter of at what price?

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post

I would draft Mac Jones.
                      I watched some of the Mac Jones video from yesterday's pro day at Alabama and various sports analysts stated Jones has great pocket awareness and reads defenses very well but some long ball passes are inaccurate by a lot, much more than they should be.
                      Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

I watched some of the Mac Jones video from yesterday's pro day at Alabama and various sports analysts stated Jones has great pocket awareness and reads defenses very well but some long ball passes are inaccurate by a lot, much more than they should be.
                        This has been my concern with Jones and it was on display yesterday. His arm strength is not great and his deep ball accuracy is not in the same ballpark as Lawrence and Wilson.

Comment

• Originally posted by myoung View Post

This has been my concern with Jones and it was on display yesterday. His arm strength is not great and his deep ball accuracy is not in the same ballpark as Lawrence and Wilson.
                          If ball placement is a problem for Jones, I can't imagine he is even on our board. Lock does some things alright, but deep ball placement isn't one of them. I think his "on target" percentage is exactly why our team is looking at other QBs.

Comment

• Originally posted by S037474 View Post

Well it's pretty obvious the 49ers want jones so if we trade with Atlanta we could get Fields or Lance. Just a matter of at what price?
                            It may seem obvious to some, but until it happens, can't be sure. If Trevor Lawrence goes #1 to the Jags and Zach Wilson goes #2 to the Jets, we'll see on Draft Day who the Niners take. If they do take Mac Jones, that could open the way for an offer to Atlanta in order to pick Justin Fields. It would be expensive in terms of draft capital and many here think it would be worth it.

Don't think it would be a very good idea to move up to pick Mac Jones or Trey Lance, though. So far, pro football draft history hasn't had more than three QBs drafted in the first round go on to have successful careers with the team that picked them. This draft could be different but, if it turns out to be, it will be the first time since the common draft of 1967.

IMO Denver should not assume that San Francisco will take Mac Jones and trade up with Atlanta before it actually happens expecting that Justin Fields will be available at #4. If they do move up, think it would be best to wait and pull the trigger on such a deal on draft day.
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post

If ball placement is a problem for Jones, I can't imagine he is even on our board. Lock does some things alright, but deep ball placement isn't one of them. I think his "on target" percentage is exactly why our team is looking at other QBs.
                              We already have that problem to a degree with Lock so it seems odd we would actually draft Jones if he's available when we pick.
                              Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Six QBs were drafted in the first round of 1983: John Elway (#1); Todd Blackledge (#7); Jim Kelly (#14); Tony Eason (#15); Ken O'Brien (#24); and, Dan Marino (#27)

Four QBs were drafted in the first round of 1987: Vinny Testaverde (#1); Kelly Stouffer (#6); Chris Miller (#13); and, Jim Harbaugh (#26)

Five QBs were drafted in the first round of 1999: Tim Couch (#1); Donovan McNabb (#2); Akili Smith (#3); Daunte Culpepper (#11); and, Cade McNown (#12)

Three QBs were drafted in the first round of 2002: David Carr (#1); Joey Harrington (#3); and, Patrick Ramsey (#32)

Four QBs were drafted in the first round of 2003: Carson Palmer (#1); Byron Leftwich (#7); Kyle Boller (#19); and, Rex Grossman (#22)

Four QBs were drafted in the first round of 2004: Eli Manning (#1); Philip Rivers (#4); Ben Roethlisberger (#11); and, J.P. Losman (#22)

Three QBs were drafted in the first round of 2005: Alex Smith (#1); Aaron Rodgers (#24); and, Jason Campbell (#25)

Three QBs were drafted in the first round of 2006: Vince Young (#3); Matt Leinart (#10); and, Jay Cutler (#11)

Three QBs were drafted in the first round of 2009: Matt Stafford (#1); Mark Sanchez (#5); and, Josh Freeman (#17)

Four QBs were drafted in the first round of 2011: Cam Newton (#1); Jake Locker (#8); Blaine Gabbert (#10); and, Christian Ponder (#12)

Four QBs were drafted in the first round of 2012: Andrew Luck (#1); RGIII (#2); Ryan Tannehill (#8); and, Brandon Weeden (#22)

Three QBs were drafted in the first round of 2014: Blake Bortles (#3); Johnny Manziel (#22); and, Teddy Bridgewater (#32)

Three QBs were drafted in the first round of 2016: Jared Goff (#1); Carson Wentz (#2); and, Paxton Lynch (#26)

Three QBs were drafted in the first round of 2017: Mitch Trubisky (#2); Patrick Mahomes (#10); and, Deshaun Watson (#12)

Five QBs were drafted in the first round of 2018: Baker Mayfield (#1); Sam Darnold (#3); Josh Allen (#7); Josh Rosen (#10); and, Lamar Jackson (#32)

Three QBs were drafted in the first round of 2019: Kyler Murray (#1); Daniel Jones (#6); Dwayne Haskins (#15)

Four QBs were drafted in the first round of 2020: Joe Burrow (#1); Tua Tagovailoa ((#5); Justin Herbert (#6); and, Jordan Love (#26)

Drafts with at least three QBs going in the first round were selected, because it looks like at least three will be picked in the first round this year, and most likely five.

It's probably a little early to judge the last two or three drafts, but at the moment it looks like three times in the last thirty-eight years have three QBs drafted in the first round had what could reasonably be called successful careers (i.e., 1983, 2004, 2018), and three is the max, so far.

All these guys were drafted in the first round because they looked great in college, were scouted and worked out by pro scouts and coaches and selected by the front offices of NFL teams. This year we have Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, Trey Lance and Mac Jones all of whom are expected to be picked in the first round in a month. What are the chances that all five of these guys will be picked in the first round and become franchise QBs by the teams that pick them? It could happen, but if it does, it will be the first time since 1983 and maybe ever (didn't go back before that year)

Right now it looks like QBs will be selected with the first three picks at least, maybe four. QBs have gone #1, #2 and #3 once since 1983 (i.e., 1999)

So, some think Denver should pay the price to move up to #4 to select a QB. What would that price be? Would that player be a starter in 2021?

If Denver sits still at #9, will all five of these QBs be gone by then? If so, then who are the other three guys, besides QBs, who will go in the first eight? If one of the QBs is still there at #9 and the Broncos pick him, would he be a starter in 2021?

We will find out in a month what the Denver Front Office, Coaching and Scouting staff think about Drew Lock relative to the 2021 QBs, and what they think of the players at other positions in the draft pool. It is conceivable Denver could trade back, if they can find a partner, and acquire more picks in the second and third rounds which will probably have pretty good prospects. In view of the fact that Denver would like to upgrade their roster at four offensive and four defensive positions, it is a possibility.

P.S. From the common draft in 1967 to 1983, three QBs were drafted in the first round three times.

Three QBs were drafted in the first round of 1979: Jack Thompson (#3); Phil Simms (#7); and, Steve Fuller (#23)

Three QBs were drafted in the first round of 1971: Jim Plunkett (#1); Archie Manning (#2); and, Dan Pastorini (#3)

Three QBs were drafted in the first round of 1967: Steve Spurrier (#3); Bob Griese (#4); and, Don Horn (#25)

Since the common draft, QBs have been picked #1, #2 and #3 twice (i.e., 1971, 1999)

These three drafts (1967, 1971, 1979) haven't changed the number of times three QBs drafted in the first round have gone on to have what could reasonably be defined as successful careers for the team that drafted them. That has only happened three times, so far (i.e., 1983, 2004, 2018)

Since the common draft, more than three QBs have been selected in the first round nine times all of those happening during the past thirty-eight years. Looks like five QBs will go in the first round this time. More than three of them could go on to have successful careers with the team that drafts them, but it has not happened since the common draft.

Supplemental info going back to 1967.
                                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                                X