X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jazzbodog
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post
    The problem with QBs is it is so much mental. Not just that but the support system they have AND the support system the team gives is so key. There are so many many pieces to a QB developing that all need to work out.

When I work with someone day in and day out I get a pretty good feel for what they are made of. I am pretty sure people in the Broncos know what Lock is made of at this point unless they real bad at being real on how people go about their day to day life. I do not think the tools exist yet to be able to determine that kind of mental skills in the draft process....which is bad because the mental process is why there are so many physically gifted young men who never work out at Qb compared to the very few who go on to become Mahomes...or even the Josh Allen types who may never get a Ring.

It is fun as a fan to sit here and talk about Qbs but on the real I do not envy the Broncos front office for having trying to determine if these young guys will be future long term starters...maybe even Mahomes/Rodgers type QBs....or another one of the LONG LINE of QB failures who did not have what it takes between the ears to get it done in the NFL.
    No matter what team / front office, none of them know how young QBs will turn out in the long run. It's draft one and hope for the best. The following is a great example of front offices not really knowing how a drafted QB will turn out over time:

Joe Montana...everybody that knows anything about the NFL / S.F. 49ers knows all too well how his career turned out but maybe not when he came out of college:

Despite his performance on the field, Montana was not rated highly by most scouts. At one combine, Montana rated out as six-and-a-half overall with a six in arm strength, used to judge how hard and how far a prospect could throw the ball. By comparison, Jack Thompson of Washington State rated an eight, the highest grade among eligible quarterbacks.

In the 1979 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers selected Montana at the end of the third round with the 82nd overall pick. Montana was the fourth quarterback taken, behind Thompson, Phil Simms, and Steve Fuller, all selected in the first round.

The following proves a somewhat risky gamble can pay off.
    Last edited by jazzbodog; 04-26-2021, 07:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    The problem with QBs is it is so much mental. Not just that but the support system they have AND the support system the team gives is so key. There are so many many pieces to a QB developing that all need to work out.

When I work with someone day in and day out I get a pretty good feel for what they are made of. I am pretty sure people in the Broncos know what Lock is made of at this point unless they real bad at being real on how people go about their day to day life. I do not think the tools exist yet to be able to determine that kind of mental skills in the draft process....which is bad because the mental process is why there are so many physically gifted young men who never work out at Qb compared to the very few who go on to become Mahomes...or even the Josh Allen types who may never get a Ring.

It is fun as a fan to sit here and talk about Qbs but on the real I do not envy the Broncos front office for having trying to determine if these young guys will be future long term starters...maybe even Mahomes/Rodgers type QBs....or another one of the LONG LINE of QB failures who did not have what it takes between the ears to get it done in the NFL.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by lvbronx View Post

And here's the "loophole"...
    As long as it lasted.

Leave a comment:

• lvbronx
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post

It didn't stop Gaius Iulius Caesar from climbing the Cursus Honorum (Roman political ladder) to the highest elected office (Consul), conquering Gaul, defeating the forces of Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus and being appointed Dictator for life by the Senate of the Roman Republic.
    ​​​​​​

​​
    And here's the "loophole"...

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

True, managing epilepsy has come a very long way to the point of it being rare to hear of people having an episode.

Even if Fields has epilepsy...so what. Is that somehow a show stopper causing teams to avoid him? What am I missing here?
    It didn't stop Gaius Iulius Caesar from climbing the Cursus Honorum (Roman political ladder) to the highest elected office (Consul), conquering Gaul, defeating the forces of Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus and being appointed Dictator for life by the Senate of the Roman Republic.
    ​​​​​​

​​

Leave a comment:

• jazzbodog
    replied

There are technological remedies.
    True, managing epilepsy has come a very long way to the point of it being rare to hear of people having an episode.

Even if Fields has epilepsy...so what. Is that somehow a show stopper causing teams to avoid him? What am I missing here?

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied

Yeah...there was another one just a few days ago about Fields' work ethic, which he took exception to and spoke out about it. Why now? It could be a team like the Broncos want Fields to fall to them or it could be someone like Jones or Lance's agent (or Mom) trying to get them drafted as high as possible...or like you suggested it could be totally innocent.
    There’s nothing innocent about exposing medical information that’s supposed to remain private, unless the patient gives consent to release that information.

Leave a comment:

• lvbronx
    replied
    Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post

I hear ya....does seem fishy.....however, they did just have physicals and things do pop up. Wasn't that long ago, one man had heart issues that they found.....
    Yeah...there was another one just a few days ago about Fields' work ethic, which he took exception to and spoke out about it. Why now? It could be a team like the Broncos want Fields to fall to them or it could be someone like Jones or Lance's agent (or Mom) trying to get them drafted as high as possible...or like you suggested it could be totally innocent.

Leave a comment:

• myoung
    replied

Simi Fehoko, too.
    Yep no kidding. I was surprised he ran a 4.37 at 6’4 225. Crazy size speed ratio. Strong agility scores too

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by broncolee View Post

It’s unlikely Justin Fields just now learned he has epilepsy.

I don’t know why a team would think this would cause Fields to fall in the draft. It seems the Zach Wilson fans are doing that all by themselves.

I had a friend who’s a truck driver and they let him drive. It seems the treatment for epilepsy has advanced to a point where people who have it can do jobs you might not think they can do.
    There are technological remedies.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by myoung View Post

David Mills had a fantastic pro day. I would still be surprised to see him go in round 1, but love the frenzy at draft time. Maybe by the end of the week he will be a top 10 pick... so fun

I would be more than happy to go Stanford Cardinals -- round 2 - Mills round 3 - Walker Little - round 4 - Paulson Adebo. The John Elways ties would be the talk of the town.
    Simi Fehoko, too.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post

I hear ya....does seem fishy.....however, they did just have physicals and things do pop up. Wasn't that long ago, one man had heart issues that they found.....
    It’s unlikely Justin Fields just now learned he has epilepsy.

I don’t know why a team would think this would cause Fields to fall in the draft. It seems the Zach Wilson fans are doing that all by themselves.

I had a friend who’s a truck driver and they let him drive. It seems the treatment for epilepsy has advanced to a point where people who have it can do jobs you might not think they can do.
    Last edited by broncolee; 04-22-2021, 03:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• myoung
    replied
    Originally posted by colowoz01 View Post
    Davis Mills would be a great pick in the 2nd round, But I fear he will not last past the first round. Many articles about various teams and their interest in this player. The broncos had an Stanford QB in the past and I think he was worth the trade.
    David Mills had a fantastic pro day. I would still be surprised to see him go in round 1, but love the frenzy at draft time. Maybe by the end of the week he will be a top 10 pick... so fun

I would be more than happy to go Stanford Cardinals -- round 2 - Mills round 3 - Walker Little - round 4 - Paulson Adebo. The John Elways ties would be the talk of the town.

Leave a comment:

• skeeter01
    replied

Funny how this info is just becoming public a week before the draft when Fields has had epilepsy his entire life. Who has the most to gain by this being made public at this point in time?

It's like last year when a few days before the draft it was leaked than Jeudy had knee issues. Who had the most to gain by that info being made public?

Leave a comment:

• myoung
    replied
    Originally posted by broncolee View Post

The only way that can happen is if the 49ers were dumb enough to trade up as far as they did, just to take Lance or Jones. The Jets inexplicably have decided on Wilson.

I hope that’s what happens. If it does, the Broncos just have to hope the Falcons are willing to trade down to 9.
    Have you watched Wilson throw the ball? I appreciate you may not feel that he is the second best QB, but most experts seem to agree with the Jets. I think any team in the top 5 would be elated if the Jets went a different direction. If the 49ers somehow passed on him too, bidding war at 4.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X