Scenario: Fields available at 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenario: Fields available at 9

I'd be curious to see what people would want if this scenario happens, which seems likely. I think the Lawrence Wilson and Jones picks seem locked in. I think Lance probably goes 4, either Atlanta taking him or Detroit trading up and taking him.

That leaves 4 picks before 9. Pitts and Chase should account for two of those. I think Sewell, Slater, Parsons, Waddle and Smith could easily fill in the last couple spots.

So I think there is a real possibility Fields makes it to 9. The question is if he's there what should we do? I'm of the opinion that trading back is probably best, although I can certainly see the merits of and would be happy with the other outcomes I listed. I just think if we have the chance to accumulate more draft capital this year and next we should probably do it. At 20 there will still be some good LB's to choose from, getting an extra 2nd allows us more flexibility to get an impact RB like Javonte Williams while adding more depth to the secondary and OL.
    Draft Fields, get the elite QB prospect
    38.89%
    Trade back with WAS or CHI, pick up an extra 2nd this year and 1st next year.
    27.78%
    Draft Parsons, Sewell or Slater, get an elite prospect on either side at a position of need.
    33.33%
    A book I wrote

I say take Fields. I think he's a legit franchise QB and I'm not overly impressed with the QB prospects for next year.

Now, we have the luxury to start Lock and see how he does. If he doesn't show improvement, then we can move on next year and Fields can be our QB moving forward. It's a win win for Denver. And, admittedly, I'm not a big believer in Lock and I've been on the Fields bandwagon for a while now.

It puts the Broncos in a very good situation at QB moving forward. And with the rookie wage scale it's not going to put the Broncos in a bind financially.

As much as I like Parsons, Sewell, Slater, Surtain and Horn, I don't think we can pass up Fields.
    Last edited by sra84; 04-14-2021, 08:36 AM.

Comment

If Fields is available at #9, which is very unlikely, it’s a no brainer. You draft the guy that is at the very least, the second best quarterback in the draft. He outplayed Trevor Lawrence in the CFP and played tougher competition than Wilson.

Wilson was 2-4 against ranked opponents and played a weak schedule in 2020.
      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
      You Mad Bro?
      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

This is a no brainer for me.

Comment

It is a “ no brainer” if you have already moved on from Lock.

I am coming from the other side of that concept. Still see potential in his inconsistency. Also not as big a believer in Fields’ potential as others.

Adding those two viewpoints together lead me to take Sewell or Parsons. Both special players at premium positions. My “no brainer” opinion.

Perhaps foolhardy to still see potential in Lock, yet I still do.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

I am coming from the other side of that concept. Still see potential in his inconsistency. Also not as big a believer in Fields’ potential as others.

Adding those two viewpoints together lead me to take Sewell or Parsons. Both special players at premium positions. My “no brainer” opinion.

Agreed. I voted the Parsons / OT choice. { Honestly though....I will not throw bricks at the TV for any of the scenario's as I trust Vic and Patton to do the "right" thing, what ever that right thing is. }

Comment

If Fields is the 5th QB drafted and he is passed up by 8 other teams I have a hard time believing he is an elite Qb prospect.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                If Fields is the 5th QB drafted and he is passed up by 8 other teams I have a hard time believing he is an elite Qb prospect.
                Or teams just don't know what they're doing. Like Chicago trading up for Trubisky, Arizona trading up for Rosen, Jacksonville taking Bortles, and everybody who passed on Mahomes, Watson, and Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

The more I think about it the more I get concerned about his accuracy problems, especially in today's college and NFL games. Only 4 QBs in the last 20 years have made a 10 point jump in accuracy percentage year over year, and that is what we need Lock to do. Josh Allen was an anomaly. Almost unprecedented

I feel like some of that is due to drops which should improve this year, so it is not fully on him, but the percentage of times he had open receivers and the miss was his mistake are very very high.

I really don't mind giving him another year. I see some potential as well, but I say that assuming Fields is not available. If Fields is on the board at 9, I think we take him a "run" with it.

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                    Being the 5th QB taken doesn’t guarantee he’s the 5th worst of the group. QBs bust all the time, he may be the 5th QB taken and end up being the only QB to remain on the team that drafted him by the time their year 6 rolls around.

If he’s there at 9 I take him unless I get some monumental offer from another team. I do think he would benefit from some time on the bench first so Lock still gets a shot to show his improvement. If Lock pans out, it’ll suck to have to essentially trade the 9th pick for a much later pick while potentially missing out on a guy like Sewell or Parsons, but still worth it. If he doesn’t then Fields can step in and try to prove his worth hopefully learning from Lock’s mistakes from the sideline. There’s also the Lock injury factor, so Fields will likely get a chance to play regardless of how Lock performs and in that case I think Fields gives us the best chance to keep the ship afloat compared to Jones or Lance.

Comment

Not saying he is not an elite talent. But he needs a lot of development and an Offensive system and OC that will patiently develop a system around him to best utilize his talents. Does that sound like Shurmur or the Broncos?

If the Broncos were to choose to draft him it would take a commitment to change I don’t think they are willing to have. And if Shurmur is a lame duck on his way out, why in the world do you allow him a year to confuse and ruin your prize QB draft pick?

Fields might turn into a good QB. Or his flaws may not be overcome. But unless a team is willing to go all in to a style that best benefits him it is hard to predict if he is the next Wentz or Haskins or next R . Wilson or Prescott. I wish him luck. Just not seeing the fit with the Broncos.

IMO the same commitment and patience has to be given to Lock. He is inconsistent as hell. Can he overcome that is the big question. I would like to see. He figures it out and the Broncos are in great shape. The big question is “will he” ?

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post

Or teams just don't know what they're doing. Like Chicago trading up for Trubisky, Arizona trading up for Rosen, Jacksonville taking Bortles, and everybody who passed on Mahomes, Watson, and Wilson.
                        I don't think this is representative of teams not knowing what they are doing. Most of those teams took QBs where they were rated. There are a variety of reasons QBs fail (and all positions really), which is difficult to assess at any given time. The team infrastructure is certainly a big factor as well. I don't think they made the right choice, and most of those people have been held accountable and are no longer the GM of that team. IMO, if those teams didn't draft those guys when they did, another team that was drafted very close would have done the same thing. I don't think any of those QBs would have fallen very much further.

With the way this draft is shaking out, I don't think it should surprise anyone if 5 QBs are taken in the top 10. I also don't think anyone should be surprised if Fields is the 3 or the 5th QB taken.

Personally, he is the third on my board and I see a future franchise QB. IMO, you don't pass on those guys unless you already have the franchise guy in hand. That being said, I really do understand the argument for Sewell, Slater, and Parsons. I love all of those guys and would be so happy to see them suit up on the team gear for the next decade.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung View Post

I don't think this is representative of teams not knowing what they are doing. Most of those teams took QBs where they were rated. There are a variety of reasons QBs fail (and all positions really), which is difficult to assess at any given time. The team infrastructure is certainly a big factor as well. I don't think they made the right choice, and most of those people have been held accountable and are no longer the GM of that team. IMO, if those teams didn't draft those guys when they did, another team that was drafted very close would have done the same thing. I don't think any of those QBs would have fallen very much further.

With the way this draft is shaking out, I don't think it should surprise anyone if 5 QBs are taken in the top 10. I also don't think anyone should be surprised if Fields is the 3 or the 5th QB taken.

Personally, he is the third on my board and I see a future franchise QB. IMO, you don't pass on those guys unless you already have the franchise guy in hand. That being said, I really do understand the argument for Sewell, Slater, and Parsons. I love all of those guys and would be so happy to see them suit up on the team gear for the next decade.
                          More accurately then: Quarterback scouting is an inexact science that occasionally resembles drawing straws in hindsight.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post

Who are they missing on then Lawrence, Jones, Wilson or Lance.

The team that selects him and how they set him up will have a huge effect on his success.

If Trubisky was drafted by KC and Reid he would have had a better career so far, I don’t think he would have reached Mahomes levels but he would have had more success in that system. Mahomes in Chicago would have still been good but wouldn’t have had the same success without Reid, and weapons like Hill and Kelce.
                            Last edited by 58Miller; 04-14-2021, 10:29 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

Being the 5th QB taken doesn’t guarantee he’s the 5th worst of the group. QBs bust all the time, he may be the 5th QB taken and end up being the only QB to remain on the team that drafted him by the time their year 6 rolls around.

If he’s there at 9 I take him unless I get some monumental offer from another team. I do think he would benefit from some time on the bench first so Lock still gets a shot to show his improvement. If Lock pans out, it’ll suck to have to essentially trade the 9th pick for a much later pick while potentially missing out on a guy like Sewell or Parsons, but still worth it. If he doesn’t then Fields can step in and try to prove his worth hopefully learning from Lock’s mistakes from the sideline. There’s also the Lock injury factor, so Fields will likely get a chance to play regardless of how Lock performs and in that case I think Fields gives us the best chance to keep the ship afloat compared to Jones or Lance.
                              I didn’t say fields would go 5th, the scenario of this thread did. In my opinion if he is as good as many think, the 49ers will get him or someone will move up to get him.
                              Last edited by 58Miller; 04-14-2021, 10:28 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X