Scenario: Fields available at 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
    If Sewell is there at 9, and you voted to take the 4th QB in the draft, I never want to hear you cry about the offensive line ever again lol
    If the fourth quarterback drafted turns out to be an all time great and the Broncos don’t draft him even though they could have, don’t be complaining about the Broncos not having a franchise quarterback.

Not all the quarterbacks that will be drafted are going to be great, but you don’t know which one(s) will or which one(s) won’t.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
      What makes it even more interesting is that Kyle Shanahan and Chris Simms were college teammates and roommates at Texas and are still very close friends. If Shanahan was 100% certain he liked Jones I could see him letting his best friend get a scoop. I could also see Shanahan using Simms to give the public some misleading info.
      I knew they were very close, from my viewpoint though it just seems unlikely he'd tell a member of the media (even one he's close to) when they're not telling the people that will be coaching that player.

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post

If the fourth quarterback drafted turns out to be an all time great and the Broncos don’t draft him even though they could have, don’t be complaining about the Broncos not having a franchise quarterback.

Not all the quarterbacks that will be drafted are going to be great, but you don’t know which one(s) will or which one(s) won’t.
        If more than three QBs drafted in the first round this year are successful with the team that picks them, it will be unprecedented. I personally think that if all the first round QBs this year are successful, it would be pretty awesome, but it hasn't happened since 1967 ... yet.

Since the Common Draft, three QBs have been selected in the first round eleven times; four have been picked six times: five have gone twice before. Six QBs were chosen in the first round once, in 1983. It looks like at least five QBs will get picked in the first round this year, and that could even be six, or maybe even seven.

Not a fan of Denver trading up for a QB because the highest they could go is #4, since QBs are expected to go 1, 2, 3. If one of the top five QBs remains at #9, it will be interesting and will tell us what they think of Drew Lock. If a QB is there, other position players will be as well. If they like Drew Lock and a top Tackle is there, they could decide to help him by picking one. If a QB remains at #9 and other players of interest are gone, trading back is a real possibility.

Spending draft capital to move up for a QB seems reckless and foolish IMO given the need to consider the team as a whole.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

I knew they were very close, from my viewpoint though it just seems unlikely he'd tell a member of the media (even one he's close to) when they're not telling the people that will be coaching that player.
          From another perspective Chris Simms also is a professional with something at stake. Why would he say it if he didn't think it was true? Maybe to help Kyle, but I don't see where the value of that info is bigger than the value to Simms of bein accuarate as an NFL analyst. If we look at the QBs Kyle as worked with in the past there's Matt Ryan and Kirk Cousins. Of the 5 projected top QBs IMO Jones is the closest to Ryan and Cousins from a pool that also includes Lance and Fileds.

Given the info we have, I'm more likely to question the claim that other coaches weren't aware of the situation, than if Shanahan wants to draft Jones. Based on this, I'd set my board with the 49ers being 90%+ to draft Mac Jones.

Comment

From another perspective Chris Simms also is a professional with something at stake. Why would he say it if he didn't think it was true? Maybe to help Kyle, but I don't see where the value of that info is bigger than the value to Simms of bein accuarate as an NFL analyst. If we look at the QBs Kyle as worked with in the past there's Matt Ryan and Kirk Cousins. Of the 5 projected top QBs IMO Jones is the closest to Ryan and Cousins from a pool that also includes Lance and Fileds.

Given the info we have, I'm more likely to question the claim that other coaches weren't aware of the situation, than if Shanahan wants to draft Jones. Based on this, I'd set my board with the 49ers being 90%+ to draft Mac Jones.
            The reputation of NFL sports reporters, pundits, analysts and commentators doesn't depend on accuracy because the league is a rumor machine and teams have little or no transparency. GMs and coaches say whatever they feel they need to say in order to get out of the interview without giving any insight or upsetting reporters too much. Then reporters and fans spend the following days analyzing and attempting to interpret what was said and done while arguing with others of differing opinions. It's an industry.

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post

The reputation of NFL sports reporters, pundits, analysts and commentators doesn't depend on accuracy because the league is a rumor machine and teams have little or no transparency. GMs and coaches say whatever they feel they need to say in order to get out of the interview without giving any insight or upsetting reporters too much. Then reporters and fans spend the following days analyzing and attempting to interpret what was said and done while arguing with others of differing opinions. It's an industry.
              Yes it is an industry and another big part of the industry is also the first to break accurate news. Sheffter, Glazer and others want to be first and neither built their reputations with unfounded rumors.

Considering the relationship between Simms and Shanahan we can assume this isn't coincidental. Again, what's the benefit or harm to Shanahan if this info is public if he is certain about Jones? I see a benefit for Simms to release the news as it's his job.

Comment

Yes it is an industry and another big part of the industry is also the first to break accurate news. Sheffter, Glazer and others want to be first and neither built their reputations with unfounded rumors.

Considering the relationship between Simms and Shanahan we can assume this isn't coincidental. Again, what's the benefit or harm to Shanahan if this info is public if he is certain about Jones? I see a benefit for Simms to release the news as it's his job.
                The validity of your hypothesis will be revealed on Thursday.

Comment

What makes it even more interesting is that Kyle Shanahan and Chris Simms were college teammates and roommates at Texas and are still very close friends. If Shanahan was 100% certain he liked Jones I could see him letting his best friend get a scoop. I could also see Shanahan using Simms to give the public some misleading info.
                  Similar style of analysis could be applied to the NY Jets.

Joe Douglas has been around for a while. He was with the Ravens when they won SB XXXV quarterbacked by Trent Dilfer, and SB XLVII quarterbacked by Joe Flacco. He was with the Eagles when they won SB LII with Nick Foles. He was not with the Jets when they drafted Sam Darnold.

Robert Saleh was on the defensive staff of the Texans (2005-2010), Seahawks (2011-2013) when they won SB XLVIII and lost SB XLIX, Jaguars (2014-2016) and with the Niners the past four years during which time they lost SB LIV.

Mike LaFleur has spent his whole NFL coaching career under the tutelage of Kyle Shanahan starting in Cleveland (2014), following him to Atlanta (2015-2016) and has been with him the last four years in San Francisco. He will be Saleh's OC and will have Greg Knapp as his passing game coordinator, who has been coaching in the NFL since 1997 and is with his ninth team.

Just about every sports reporter who has predicted the first round says the Jets will take Zach Wilson at #2. Is that because, in the manner you describe for Shanahan/Simms, they have been told by Jets officials that they will definitely pick Wilson? Or, is it based on the collective logic of the analysts that Zach Wilson is the consensus next best QB prospect after Trevor Lawrence and, therefore must be picked by the Jets?

The logic applied to the proposed inevitability of the Niners taking Mac Jones is that he fits San Francisco's system the best and is ready to start immediately. If that is the case, then why wouldn't Kyle Shanahan's protege also want Mac Jones, if he fits the system LaFleur will install in NY?

Comment

• I love it!! There are a couple articles that say Shanahan is being tight lipped and isn’t even telling the coaches, and some are so willing to believe those “sources”... but won’t lend credence to other articles that say “ everything I am hearing from my sources says they will take xxx”

I don’t know what the 49ers will do at this point, but i know I have an easier time believe a source of information when it resonates with me.

the only thing I am sure of is that there is at least as much false information out there as their is good information.

can’t wait until Thursday

Comment

• Originally posted by myoung View Post

I don’t know what the 49ers will do at this point, but i know I have an easier time believe a source of information when it resonates with me.
                      Confirmation bias makes the sporting world go round.

Comment

• wouldnt it be wacky if jags take fields? i think the draft would probably break. think of the draft offers the jets would get in that scenerio.

those are the most fun mock drafts when that happens. one time that happened and wilson was there at 9. i traded back with the chargers (yes it was the chargers but they offered me their 1st, 2nd and 2nd next year) and still was able to draft wilson.
                        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

If more than three QBs drafted in the first round this year are successful with the team that picks them, it will be unprecedented. I personally think that if all the first round QBs this year are successful, it would be pretty awesome, but it hasn't happened since 1967 ... yet.

Since the Common Draft, three QBs have been selected in the first round eleven times; four have been picked six times: five have gone twice before. Six QBs were chosen in the first round once, in 1983. It looks like at least five QBs will get picked in the first round this year, and that could even be six, or maybe even seven.

Not a fan of Denver trading up for a QB because the highest they could go is #4, since QBs are expected to go 1, 2, 3. If one of the top five QBs remains at #9, it will be interesting and will tell us what they think of Drew Lock. If a QB is there, other position players will be as well. If they like Drew Lock and a top Tackle is there, they could decide to help him by picking one. If a QB remains at #9 and other players of interest are gone, trading back is a real possibility.

Spending draft capital to move up for a QB seems reckless and foolish IMO given the need to consider the team as a whole.
                          My point, which more than one person seems to be missing, is that being the fourth player selected at a position doesn’t make that player the fourth best at that position. He could be the best player at that position.

If the Broncos believe the quarterback available to them via trading up or staying at their spot is the best quarterback for them, they have a responsibility to get that quarterback.
                          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                          You Mad Bro?
                          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post

My point, which more than one person seems to be missing, is that being the fourth player selected at a position doesn’t make that player the fourth best at that position. He could be the best player at that position.

If the Broncos believe the quarterback available to them via trading up or staying at their spot is the best quarterback for them, they have a responsibility to get that quarterback.
                            That would be the question: if? We'll get the answer on Thursday.

It will depend on who is selected before Denver, and how they feel about Drew Lock. Denver could trade up, stay at #9 or trade back.

Looks like at least five QBs will go in the first round; could tie 1983 at six, or even end up at seven. I wish them all the best of luck. We won't know for several years how they'll do.

Looks like Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert from last year are doing well, and probably Tua Tagovailoa, too. Won't know until Aaron Rodgers retires how Jordan Love will do. If they all pan out for their teams, it will be the first time more than three first round QBs have come through for their teams.

History of fourth QBs drafted in the first round:

1983 Tony Eason;

1987 Jim Harbaugh;

1999 Daunte Culpepper;

2003 Rex Grossman;

2004 J.P. Losman;

2011 Christian Ponder;

2012 Brandon Weeden;

2018 Josh Rosen;

2020 Jordan Love

Comment

That would be the question: if? We'll get the answer on Thursday.

It will depend on who is selected before Denver, and how they feel about Drew Lock. Denver could trade up, stay at #9 or trade back.

Looks like at least five QBs will go in the first round; could tie 1983 at six, or even end up at seven. I wish them all the best of luck. We won't know for several years how they'll do.

Looks like Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert from last year are doing well, and probably Tua Tagovailoa, too. Won't know until Aaron Rodgers retires how Jordan Love will do. If they all pan out for their teams, it will be the first time more than three first round QBs have come through for their teams.

History of fourth QBs drafted in the first round:

1983 Tony Eason;

1987 Jim Harbaugh;

1999 Daunte Culpepper;

2003 Rex Grossman;

2004 J.P. Losman;

2011 Christian Ponder;

2012 Brandon Weeden;

2018 Josh Rosen;

2020 Jordan Love
                              What a surprisingly great draft class this was...aside from the QB flops.
                              New England Patriots GM

Comment

• The deals I get in the mock draft tools when 2 or 3 of the Mac Jones / Fields / Lance QBs are available are just insane. It will not happen. Even if three of them get to pick 4 by some miracle there will be teams calling from all around to move ahead of us.

I use to be big on Zavan Collins...his got huge. Starting to look J Cox more as the ILB I think we need.

If we have to stay at 9 think I am liking OT or Pitts should he still be there but I am 110% on the trade back wagon specially after hearing Paton say we have already had discussions with multiple teams about moving back.
                                Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Working...
                                X