Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woody Paige says Paton has offer for ATL’s 4th pick

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mil...-justin-fields

According to The Denver Gazette’s Woody Paige, Denver Broncos General Manager George Paton has already made a call to the Atlanta Falcons about their 4th overall selection. He continues by saying that Paton can make this move if he’s willing to pay the price.

Paton would be able to draft Fields or Lance (but not Jones) if they surrendered 2021’s No. 1, a third-round pick and ‘22’s No. 1, while receiving ‘21’s No. 4 and a fifth-round pick (Atlanta has three) in return.

@woodypaige: Broncos' GM can make trade to get Justin Fields or Trey Lance

An NFL source beyond the Broncos says that George and his offensive advisers continue to debate and dissect the two quarterbacks, but are open to drafting whichever is available.

I prefer Lance, but I believe George gives the slight advantage to Fields. Both perhaps become dynamic, long-term, franchise-type quarterbacks, but the risk-reward results for first-round quarterbacks is problematic.

This is most likely true. The trade up cost looks realistic enough so if Fields is there at 4 I expect Denver to try and trade up to take him. It's a big IF though.

Fields is heading to San Fran.
    Lance to Atlanta
    Denver "stuck" with Lock and drafts Parsons at 9.

At least this seems most likely.

Comment

i dont want to move up. its less than i thought but still.

i also dont like this out there so far in front of the draft. wish woody wouldve of left it at the broncos may trade up or down...
      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

I’m still not sure why ATL would be trading out of #4. Why would they pass on a QB?

They seem to be in the market for a project QB more then the Broncos, who already have one.

It is only a couple weeks away from finding out how “true” these reports are. And more importantly just what Paton plans on draft on doing.

As I continue to read through the forum and view all the “ preferred” options, I have the sinking feeling that this QB controversy is going to get worse this season no matter who they choose to go with or how well they play. At least a direction is revealed in a couple weeks will change the discussion a little.

Comment

I hope Denver doesn't trade up for Fields.

Denver can potentially net a starter with their '21 R3 selection (and '22 R1 pick),
          per several mock drafts.

Plus, Denver's '22 R1 pick seems too costly for a player who performed "meh"
          in his last game against Alabama during the CFP National Championship.

Fields' 51.5% completion rating for 194 yards and one TD doesn't inspire hope.
          Sure, his six rushes for 67 yards helped, but then again, his team lost 24 to 54.

Even with Devonta Smith out for the second half,
          Bama had the game won at halftime.
          Ohio State's loss could be blamed on its OL,
          but if Lock cannot use subpar OL play as an excuse,
          neither should Fields.

I'd instead stick with Lock and fortify the OL and D this draft and with next year's R1.

Don't do it Paton!

Comment

Tend to agree. I am not seeing the “value” of chasing project QBs at #4.

Sure they are nice shiny new toys to play with. But Bronco fans seem to get just as excited about UDFA QBs in pre-season.

Prefer Paton save the assets, draft a OT or Defensive foundation player and show some patience with the project QB already in the bldg.

Comment

And both Benjamin Allbright and Andrew Mason have said they haven't. We're 11 days until the draft I expect a lot more "reports" that are put out there by teams looking to push players down, or get other teams to move up.

Comment

Based on what Wentz and Darnold recently fetched, in their respective deals... Perhaps a move for a QB is made along with a trade of DL or knowing they can flip Fields or Lance in a year or two if DL hits, and recoup the lost draft capital?

Comment

To me, it’s either Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Lance, Jones, Sewell, Slater, or Parsons.

These are my top 9, in no particular order. I prefer 1/9 instead of trading down for lesser talent ...

Comment

It's probably Paton just doing what you expect a GM to do heading into the draft.

Not reading into it too much.... for now.

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                      I’m still not sure why ATL would be trading out of #4. Why would they pass on a QB?

They seem to be in the market for a project QB more then the Broncos, who already have one.

It is only a couple weeks away from finding out how “true” these reports are. And more importantly just what Paton plans on draft on doing.

As I continue to read through the forum and view all the “ preferred” options, I have the sinking feeling that this QB controversy is going to get worse this season no matter who they choose to go with or how well they play. At least a direction is revealed in a couple weeks will change the discussion a little.
                      they should take pitts to go with julio and ridley and then draft defense and i am torn on trading up i want parsons but we are in dire need of a QB also

Comment

To be clear, does this story mean we do not want Jones? That's my take. Interesting, because I kinda like him.

I have stated that Atlanta's choice is now the start of the real draft. I see 3 QBs gone when Atlanta steps up, and they could easily pick one as well. They probably should.

But I am sure Atlanta is getting a number of calls. They may wait it out and trade back for a pretty good deal. They need to take care of their own business, and they have some holes. They can load up on picks, and draft a 2nd tier QB who could wait their time as Ryan closes down his career.

The trouble with the deal mentioned above revolves around giving up our #1 next year, given we are not a guarantee to finish very high. If Lock is so so, and we experience a few injuries to key players, we might be selecting top 15 next year. And if neither of these 2 young QBs pans out for us, we are really on shaky ground. No firsts and no apparent QB for the future.

I think the better plan is to not move up that much, and give away our '22 first rounder. Why? Because if we falter this season, we might need that 1st rounder, and focus completely on a QB next year. In fact, some days I wake up preferring moving back, securing a 1st next year, and having 2 firsts in case we are QB hunting in the draft.
                        Last edited by CanDB; 04-18-2021, 09:39 AM.

Comment

I am intrigued by Fields-Lance-Jones, enough so that I would do my due diligence.... But Parsons completes the Fangio defense, and Sewell-Slater would complete the OL and truly give DL an opportunity to succeed.

if you go QB then you have to hit bc you would be passing on a surefire HOF caliber talent in Sewell or Parsons plus next year’s 1st.

Comment

Alabama isn’t the game to criticize Fields for. He had 3 throw aways and 4 drops (2 which would have been TDs). He’d have been sitting at 70% if those were caught, 63% if you leave in the throw aways.

indiana and northwestern would be the games to criticize him for.

Comment

Imagine if Fields got to face the opponents Wilson and Lance played. IU actually has a good defense....

Comment

Working...
                              X