Recent Paton presser talking about draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Paton presser talking about draft

Paton said we have not had discussions about moving up but it sounds like if a guy is there he is willing to make the move on draft day.

Paton said we have had discussions with multiple teams about the possibility of moving down.

I think he is putting on a good poker face right now. Keep other teams guessing. Was fun to see people ask him questions trying to get him to reveal things but he was pretty good about holding back.

He did not say if we were initiating calls or just getting calls. Would be interesting if we are initiating calls to move back but not doing it to move up.
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
    Paton said we have not had discussions about moving up but it sounds like if a guy is there he is willing to make the move on draft day.

Paton said we have had discussions with multiple teams about the possibility of moving down.

I think he is putting on a good poker face right now. Keep other teams guessing. Was fun to see people ask him questions trying to get him to reveal things but he was pretty good about holding back.

He did not say if we were initiating calls or just getting calls. Would be interesting if we are initiating calls to move back but not doing it to move up.
    Absolutely he's putting on a good poker face. Dumb not to. I"m sure he has a plan and how it is effected for what takes place starting with the the #1 pick in the draft and so on. He's thinking what can we do, if anything, after each pick? What are our options? All options are on a big spreadsheet in his office that's full of possibilities and strategy kind of like a military commander in a war zone. Respond as necessary if required or possibly wait and see what unfolds and always try to minimize any risk by predetermining possible outcomes and also considering the many "what if this or that happens". Definitely somewhat of a chess match with 32 players.
    Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

One thing about the Presser that stood out to me was when he called Trey Lance and Justin Fields raw. That comment alone makes me pause and wonder just what should Denver do in the draft because the truth of the matter is both QB's if either one is drafted High by Denver they would not start week 1 maybe just depending how raw then maybe even not starting the entire year and let's be honest if you draft a QB at a Higher Pick in the 1st Round that QB or Player needs to be starting Week 1 or that becomes just bad drafting. So to me with that comment I hope Denver drafts the LB Parson's or the OL Sewell ( Sewell will not make it to #9 because the Bengals will draft him as they should).

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
        One thing about the Presser that stood out to me was when he called Trey Lance and Justin Fields raw. That comment alone makes me pause and wonder just what should Denver do in the draft because the truth of the matter is both QB's if either one is drafted High by Denver they would not start week 1 maybe just depending how raw then maybe even not starting the entire year and let's be honest if you draft a QB at a Higher Pick in the 1st Round that QB or Player needs to be starting Week 1 or that becomes just bad drafting. So to me with that comment I hope Denver drafts the LB Parson's or the OL Sewell ( Sewell will not make it to #9 because the Bengals will draft him as they should).
        Just because he said it doesn’t make it true. This is lying season.
        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
        You Mad Bro?
        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

IMO Paton was very careful in what he was saying. I would not read too much into it. He was asked a lot of questions where he could have given up much more information. He was very strategic in what he said imo.

We fans keep thinking we want to hear information about what our team is doing. Do not forget 31 other teams are also trying to get an idea of what the rest of the NFL is doing so they can compete against them in making moves. It looked to me Paton is very aware of this.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Totally disagree. We should never be drafting for week 1. Never. Not at any position, but especially in the case of a young QB. There is very little difference if they start week 1 or not. I want a guy that leads the franchise for 15 years, not a guy that we force on the field in week 1 because he was drafted high.

IMO that is the definition of bad drafting. Not being able to see the forest through the trees.

Was Herbert bad drafting last year? How about Mahomes a few years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by myoung View Post

Totally disagree. We should never be drafting for week 1. Never. Not at any position, but especially in the case of a young QB. There is very little difference if they start week 1 or not. I want a guy that leads the franchise for 15 years, not a guy that we force on the field in week 1 because he was drafted high.

IMO that is the definition of bad drafting. Not being able to see the forest through the trees.

There's a big difference with Mahomes though, he went to a team that was already fully in place and where he could sit and learn for a year because they had a pretty good QB in place already. And before someone tells me that Smith was awful, he threw for over 4000 yards, 26 touchdowns and just 5 interceptions during Mahomes red shirt year. The Chefs also won the division for a second straight year. That was great drafting to get the QB they want and allow him time to iron out his issues before he ever needed to play.

The Broncos aren't in that position right now, no matter who they take, at whatever position, there's going to be a demand that the player is on the field as quickly as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

There's a big difference with Mahomes though, he went to a team that was already fully in place and where he could sit and learn for a year because they had a pretty good QB in place already. And before someone tells me that Smith was awful, he threw for over 4000 yards, 26 touchdowns and just 5 interceptions during Mahomes red shirt year. The Chefs also won the division for a second straight year. That was great drafting to get the QB they want and allow him time to iron out his issues before he ever needed to play.

The Broncos aren't in that position right now, no matter who they take, at whatever position, there's going to be a demand that the player is on the field as quickly as possible.
                I agree that is how fans react but it is not how I want my GM drafting. Picking a guy, in the early first, that doesn’t start day 1 is not bad drafting. Unless the guys is a bust and never plays to expectations. And there are plenty of those guys.

Alex Smith was a really good QB the year before Mahomes. I think that supports the idea that we should be drafting for the long run, not week 1. If the GM thinks Lance is the next Mahomes, he should take him. Even if Lance might not beat out Drew Lock in week 1. If Lance (for example) needs a year to sit, so be it, IMO

and no. I am not suggesting we draft Lance just using it as an example

Comment

Agree to disagree only because if you are drafting a player in the 1st Round that Special Player picked in the 1st Round better be playing Week 1 or else why even draft in the 1st Round? Why not start drafting in Round 2? 3? ect. The Bottom Line is if you are Special Player Taken in the 1st Round there is Reason why the Team Drafted you that High so the Expectations on a 1st Round Player is that different from a Round 2 or later. The Truth be Told you have a higher percentage of being a 1st Round Bust then if you were to be drafted in later rounds especially Quarterbacks.

Comment

Agree to disagree only because if you are drafting a player in the 1st Round that Special Player picked in the 1st Round better be playing Week 1 or else why even draft in the 1st Round? Why not start drafting in Round 2? 3? ect. The Bottom Line is if you are Special Player Taken in the 1st Round there is Reason why the Team Drafted you that High so the Expectations on a 1st Round Player is that different from a Round 2 or later. The Truth be Told you have a higher percentage of being a 1st Round Bust then if you were to be drafted in later rounds especially Quarterbacks.
                    I agree that expectations are higher but that is evaluated over the first few years not the first week. I disagree with your “bottom line” but I guess that is why we all have opinions.

Comment

I agree that is how fans react but it is not how I want my GM drafting. Picking a guy, in the early first, that doesn’t start day 1 is not bad drafting. Unless the guys is a bust and never plays to expectations. And there are plenty of those guys.

Alex Smith was a really good QB the year before Mahomes. I think that supports the idea that we should be drafting for the long run, not week 1. If the GM thinks Lance is the next Mahomes, he should take him. Even if Lance might not beat out Drew Lock in week 1. If Lance (for example) needs a year to sit, so be it, IMO

and no. I am not suggesting we draft Lance just using it as an example

I don't disagree, but only if that's a QB you truly believe will develop into a great QB. I don't think Paton will listen to the fans (nor should he) but I also don't think he'll reach for a QB, nor do I think he's going to give up a bunch of future capital to go up to 4. He's in year 1 of a 6 year contract, I think he'll be patient. Of course that might not please some fans though if it doesn't end the playoff drought.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

I don't disagree, but only if that's a QB you truly believe will develop into a great QB. I don't think Paton will listen to the fans (nor should he) but I also don't think he'll reach for a QB, nor do I think he's going to give up a bunch of future capital to go up to 4. He's in year 1 of a 6 year contract, I think he'll be patient. Of course that might not please some fans though if it doesn't end the playoff drought.
                        I really have no idea what we will do. I hope we trade back. I would rather have 6 picks in the first three rounds this year.

that being said, the argument goes both ways. Patton knows he needs a QB to compete and he is in year 1 of 6. He has time to develop a QB with less risk. If he goes 2-3 years in mediocrity that door starts closing.

we have 2 very real problems in our division. I think it is going to be tough to compete for the division year over year with a bottom of the barrel QB.

If he truly believes in Lock, let’s roll with it another year. I hope it works out but I have my doubts. Accuracy as bad as Locks doesn’t often turn around.. but I am happy to go another year if they believe in him (as if I really have a choice)

Comment

Working...
                        X