Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 2021 NFL Draft....With Emphasis On Our Broncos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    Just some trivia, though it might be relevant:

For the first time in draft history, the first seven players picked were on the offensive side of the ball. Overall, 18 players on offense were taken Thursday, one shy of the Round 1 record.
    This broke the 1999 record where Champ Bailey was the first D player drafted at 7 overall. There were also QBs drafted 1-2-3 that year and a couple more after Champ, but I believe Champ is the only Hall of Famer from that class.

Comment

• Day 2, hopefully a Top LB is on top of the board.

Comment

• Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post

I hope my initial reax was wrong, too. But, as we’ve seen with Chubb and Jeudy, going BPA and sticking religiously to your big board isn’t the smartest way to build a football team.

I believe in reinforcing the trenches with top 15 picks... OL or defensive front 7. I’m not a fan of WR, TE, RB, DBs in top half of round 1.... that’s just me.

unfortunately, with Fant, Jeudy, and now Surtain... we are building a roster from the outside in, instead of building your team from the inside out.

how did that “stud” CB work out for DET last year?

then, when I hear Paton talk about the pick, and he’s harping on what a great dad the kid has, how he was with his Dad in MIA... I fear and worry that his judgement was clouded by his personal bias. Did he take Surtain over Parsons for pure football reasons?

and, oh, there’s the whole QB issue...
        and, oh, he just spent 10 mil on Darby (another move that made me question Paton’s ability to build a winner.

Darby and Surtain might equal 1 more win next year? Probably not even that...

finally, Paton misread the room. He went crazy trying to hide his love of the kid.... foolish... do your homework and interview the kid.

but, again, we drafted a kid bc our Gm knew his Dad.

Been saying that for years. Here is a list of 1st and 2nd round picks since Elway came. Not many interior players at all....not many still on the team either before 2017.
        1st round 2nd round
        2011 von miller OLB Rahim moore CB
        2012 wolfe and osweiler
        2013 sly williams NT ball RB
        2014 Roby CB Latimer WR
        2015 Ray OLB Sambrailo
        2016 Lynch Gotsis DE
        2017 Bolles Walker DE
        2018 Chubb Sutton
        2019 Fant Risner OG
        2020 Jeudy Hamler
        2021 Surtain CB
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
          I'd be ok with about 13 different players:

T
          Teven Jenkins, Dillon Radunz, Samuel Cosmi, Liam Eichenberg, Jalen Mayfield

C
          Creed Humphrey

EDGE
          Azeez Ojulari, Ronnie Perkins

DL
          Christian Barmore

LB
          Jabril Cox

S
          Trevon Moehrig, Richie Grant, Jevon Holland

The ones in red are tier one. Green are tier two. Blue three.
          I'm a fan of Radunz myself. I would like to see him drafted by us.
          sigpic

Comment

• "No QBs drafted in first round from 2009-16 are set to be on original team in 2021"
            https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/18/no-qbs-drafted-from-2009-16-are-set-to-be-with-team-that-drafted-them/

Maybe we should stop acting like 1st round drafted QBs are a slam dunk.

Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
              So Paton only chose Surtain because he if friends with his father? Really?

Do you think he shared his decision with the Bronco War room or kept it secret?

We’re all the draft reports on how talented he is also written by Dads buddies, or is he arguably the best CB prospect? A highly compensated and coveted position of need too.

I would have selected Parsons. But for weeks now just about every time Parsons was mentioned it was quickly followed by the “ if his character checks out” caveat. Maybe his character didn’t check out.

As for the QB situation. Most are frustrated by the position. Even those advocating for Lock to get another year. It is a wait and see situation in a very impatient world.

I have no clue how justified any confidence in Lock truly is. Just as I have no clue how awesome Fields or Jones would have been. Last year the uproar was over WR over OT. This year it is the decision at CB.

The second guessing will only be minimized by winning games. It is simple. Keep losing and the FO are idiots, start winning and they are geniuses. We will find out which this season.
              Denver has six DBs who will be UFAs next year. They had five DBs on IR for part of the season last year. Kareem Jackson is 33. Bryce Callahan will turn 30 in season and Kyle Fuller is 29. Some will remember the patchwork Secondaries thrown together last season and may remember the names of those players some of whom won't be on the roster this year.

Many Draft prognosticators thought Corner was a need for Denver, and so it is given the way the current roster is constructed. Patrick Surtain will be on a four year contract with a fifth year option. Ronald Darby and Michael Ojemudia will be UFAs in 2024 while Fuller, Jackson, Callahan, Dawson, Marshall and Hairston will be UFAs next year.

Drafting Surtain addressed this situation, one in which defenses field five or six DBs most of the time.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

You don’t waste too 10 picks on WR, DB, RB, TE.... bad teams build their rosters from the outside in. Ergo, why Broncos have been bottom 5 team in NFL last 5 seasons.

Signing Darby and drafting Surtain tells me that Paton isn’t the answer. I hope I’m wrong.... but it’s not a good start to his tenure here.
                Definitely not RB, but a shutdown corner or dominant receiver are totally worth a top 10 pick. No question.

TE is starting to become common in the top 10, too.

Darby, Fuller, Callahan are talented, but they're old or injury prone. Surtain and Simmons are the core of a new dominant secondary. This is a great pick.

Comment

• Thread cleaned.

Seriously, please keep the personal out. Thanks.
                  Administrator

#Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

#LupusAwarenessMonth

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

I hope my initial reax was wrong, too. But, as we’ve seen with Chubb and Jeudy, going BPA and sticking religiously to your big board isn’t the smartest way to build a football team.

I believe in reinforcing the trenches with top 15 picks... OL or defensive front 7. I’m not a fan of WR, TE, RB, DBs in top half of round 1.... that’s just me.

unfortunately, with Fant, Jeudy, and now Surtain... we are building a roster from the outside in, instead of building your team from the inside out.

how did that “stud” CB work out for DET last year?

then, when I hear Paton talk about the pick, and he’s harping on what a great dad the kid has, how he was with his Dad in MIA... I fear and worry that his judgement was clouded by his personal bias. Did he take Surtain over Parsons for pure football reasons?

and, oh, there’s the whole QB issue...
                    and, oh, he just spent 10 mil on Darby (another move that made me question Paton’s ability to build a winner.

Darby and Surtain might equal 1 more win next year? Probably not even that...

finally, Paton misread the room. He went crazy trying to hide his love of the kid.... foolish... do your homework and interview the kid.

but, again, we drafted a kid bc our Gm knew his Dad.
                    FO, coaches and players are human. The process of acquiring football players is a human one at every level. Coaches and those who are part of the acquisition process want to know something about the character of the player and his family. The more that is known, the better because it reveals character. HS coaches are in close contact with families. Every player recruited from HS to college has coaches sitting in the living room with the parents discussing the transition to college life.

Knowing the families of the players is a good thing. Nowadays character and behavior on and off the field is a big issue. Doesn't take much to spoil the culture of a locker room with bad attitudes and behaviors. The screening process for high NFL draft picks borders on being an invasion of privacy. It is considered the norm though. Knowing Patrick Surtain's family doesn't detract form the process, it enhances it. Too bad something similar can't be done for each prospect.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Knowing a player is fine, as long as you still make the right call. Elway taking Osweiler over Russell Wilson, bc his son was his roommate... example of when it’s a bad thing.

All things equal, even tho Micah would have a greater impact, I think Paton had his blinders on bc he knew his dad.

Again, I would never draft an outside / skills player in top 10. You win football by dominating the trenches. And, not a lot of DBs from Saban’s ALA live up to their hype.

barron, Kirkpatrick, Milner, and even HA HA Dix and Fitzpatrick are just decent bodies...
                      Last edited by fraguela09; 04-30-2021, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• So yeah, lets have fun with this again today.

And thanks for not leaking any selections prior to The Commish....if that's still a possibility.

Comment

• My second round big board...

J OK
                          Javonte Williams - My souting report...when Steve Atwater said Williams reminds him of TD I said "That's my guy!".
                          Tevin Jenkins
                          Jabril Cox
                          Christian Barmore

Comment

• Teven Jenkins is my guy unfortunately that likely means hoping Cox or Moses slip to the 3rd.

Comment

Knowing a player is fine, as long as you still make the right call. Elway taking Osweiler over Russell Wilson, bc his son was his roommate... example of when it’s a bad thing.

All things equal, even tho Micah would have a greater impact, I think Paton had his blinders on bc he knew his dad.

Again, I would never draft an outside / skills player in top 10. You win football by dominating the trenches. And, not a lot of DBs from Saban’s ALA live up to their hype.

barron, Kirkpatrick, Milner, and even HA HA Dix and Fitzpatrick are just decent bodies...
                              While the Paton/Surtain (snr) relationship may have been a factor, I doubt it was decisive. Some analysts (who I suspect knew little to nothing of the relationship) had us taking Surtain II anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                                Teven Jenkins is my guy unfortunately that likely means hoping Cox or Moses slip to the 3rd.
                                unfortunately i have big shopping list for the 2nd/3rd round

javonte williams
                                jenkins
                                grant
                                moehrig
                                eichenburg
                                cox
                                Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Working...
                                X