Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 2021 NFL Draft....With Emphasis On Our Broncos!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by bronco30 View Post
    i concur the FO knows a lot more about james but i also read on here or somewhere else can't remember right now if he is released its a big cap hit....and i really hope he can play good because imo RT is the biggest weakness on the offense besides QB
    If he is cut it's a big hit, if he is traded after June 2nd it's manageable. I can't imagine that anyone would trade for the guy. He's played 63 snaps in the last two years, and he has a hefty contract, and the league just got an influx of young healthy guys who already look better than he does.As of right now if he comes out and plays consistently less than adequately then we'll need to pick up a FA to replace him and keep James as the Swing or emergency Tackle. If he stubs his toe we'll have to put him on IR rather than using him as a back up. Those are the options. So sprinkle some fairy dust in the air. Clap a few times. Keep chanting 'I believe!' It worked for Tinkerbell.
    Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

    Comment


    • Originally posted by listopencil View Post

      Sure. I get all of that. As fans we are on the outside looking in. Because of that I'm not ready to grab the torches and pitchforks...yet.
      The Draft is an emotional experience for some fans because of the internet and cellphones. When my Dad and I became Bronco fans, we read the sports pages of the Rocky Mountain News and The Denver Post, listened to KOA and watched local sports shows on the local news. There were four or five TV channels with no specialized sports programming except for Wide World of Sports on ABC. That was about it. Telephones were all landlines and some people were on party lines and the phonebooks were large. Don't think the Drafts were broadcast at all then.

      Now it is a different world. There is more information available through cellphones than can be effectively absorbed. There are videos of draft prospects and more stats than most use. That is all really great stuff and amazing to me. It has had an effect of making some think they know exactly what should be done in any situation based on the information they have. When things don't go the way some think they should, they can be very disagreeable.

      In 2011 when Denver drafted Von Miller, there were some who melted down because they thought the Broncos should have drafted Marcel Dareus instead. On this message board there were some pretty extreme reactions which resulted in some prominent members being permanently banned. So, if someone practices self observation and feels emotionally volatile or fragile going into the Draft, maybe they should ask their doctor about Alprazolam.

      It might be a good idea for some to not assume that they know more and would have been able to do more than those who have the job. It might be good to treat it like watching a game. Before the snap, pause and ask what it is one sees. After the play, ask what just happened and subject it all to objective analysis. Otherwise, the game might not be as enjoyable as it could be.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

      Comment


      • Originally posted by samparnell View Post

        The Draft is an emotional experience for some fans because of the internet and cellphones. When my Dad and I became Bronco fans, we read the sports pages of the Rocky Mountain News and The Denver Post, listened to KOA and watched local sports shows on the local news. There were four or five TV channels with no specialized sports programming except for Wide World of Sports on ABC. That was about it. Telephones were all landlines and some people were on party lines and the phonebooks were large. Don't think the Drafts were broadcast at all then.

        Now it is a different world. There is more information available through cellphones than can be effectively absorbed. There are videos of draft prospects and more stats than most use. That is all really great stuff and amazing to me. It has had an effect of making some think they know exactly what should be done in any situation based on the information they have. When things don't go the way some think they should, they can be very disagreeable.

        In 2011 when Denver drafted Von Miller, there were some who melted down because they thought the Broncos should have drafted Marcel Dareus instead. On this message board there were some pretty extreme reactions which resulted in some prominent members being permanently banned. So, if someone practices self observation and feels emotionally volatile or fragile going into the Draft, maybe they should ask their doctor about Alprazolam.

        It might be a good idea for some to not assume that they know more and would have been able to do more than those who have the job. It might be good to treat it like watching a game. Before the snap, pause and ask what it is one sees. After the play, ask what just happened and subject it all to objective analysis. Otherwise, the game might not be as enjoyable as it could be.
        OK. But I'm cutting up wood for the torches and I'm sharpening the tines on my pitchfork just in case.
        Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

        Comment


        • Originally posted by listopencil View Post

          OK. But I'm cutting up wood for the torches and I'm sharpening the tines on my pitchfork just in case.
          Like Inspector Kemp in "Young Frankenstein"
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

          Comment


          • Again....fans have their rights.

            Fans pay the bill.

            GMs, OCs, DCs, Coaches get fired from time to time.

            And many folks I know are pretty accurate with their assessments over time. They are not professionals, but they get it right OFTEN.

            So gang, feel good about your opinions. You may be smarter than you think.

            This is a Broncos Message Board, and opinions are welcome.

            Comment


            • Seth Williams vs Pat Surtain

              2019 - 2 targets, 1 one-handed catch for 37 yards, 1 DPI about 15 yards down the field

              2020 - 1st target - overthrow (Williams beat Surtain on a slant), 2nd target cover 2 zone - Williams finds soft spot between Surtain and SS, 3rd target - drops 58 yard TD with Surtain trailing about 3-5 yards behind in man coverage, 4th target cover 2 zone and Williams finds the soft spot again between Surtain and the SS.

              Surtain got the better of the matchup overall but Williams is a really nice project. The big thing that jumps out watching this matchup, Surtain grabs and holds a lot often times initiating contact around that 5 yard mark. Refs will allow contact but he needs to be more subtle with it, more inside hand around the hip/lower back and less of both hands on the shoulder pads. And he’s a completely different CB when he doesn’t get a hand on his assignment. For Williams, he loves back shoulder throws (I know a certain disgruntled QB who loves throwing them) but what jumped out about him was the improvement from 2019 to 2020. I don’t think it showed in the numbers but Williams route running and his releases against press coverage were dramatically improved in 2020. It still wasn’t up to par for the NFL but improvement shows that he is coachable and does want to improve.

              Side note, I hate Auburn’s offense. Screens and options are like 80% of the offense. I’m pretty sure I saw a screen to an olineman lined up as a slot receiver. Bo Nix has a cannon for an arm and good mobility but he’s a long way off from being ready for the NFL and the offense does him no favors.

              Comment


              • My overall thoughts on this draft:

                The big question at QB still remains a question. Obviously it looks like we are givni Lock a chance to show what he can do, the competition we brought in for him should help elevate his game. Brdgewater is a good enough QB where Lock is going to need to really improve his decision making. It won't be like last year where Drew and everyone knew it didn't really matter how he played as long as he was healthy he would start over Rypien and Driskel. The fluid situation remained fluid and I'm okay with that. There are a lot of instances of QB's having hiccups early on before they figure it out. Obviously the big wildcard in the situation would be if Rodgers becomes available for trade, but we put ourselves in a situation where we can easily pull that off, we aren't tied to anyone for even the near future.


                On to the picks themselves. I loved the focus on the secondary, felt like that has been a weakness for to long both in talent and depth and I feel good about the young guys we ust got to help fix that. Meinerz looks like he could be a steal. A lot of the positions I thought were needs were addressed, including RB which we took one of my favorite players from this draft.

                I did notice Paton seems to strike a good balance of drafting for future needs vs present needs. Both Surtain and Williams you would both argue aren't going to start right away, however they are at positions where its easy to rotate them on the field so they will have an impact, plus the position groups they are part of have big question marks after next season when a lot of guys contracts are up. Just something I noticed I thought Paton did a good job with.


                Aside from not getting someone who could maybe push for the RT spot, and failing to accumulate some extra picks for next year where more information can be had on prospects with a full college season, I thought the execution of the draft as a whole was great. And those complaints are really very minor, I am overall very happy with where we sit heading into TC.




                A book I wrote

                Comment


                • Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                  Seth Williams vs Pat Surtain

                  2019 - 2 targets, 1 one-handed catch for 37 yards, 1 DPI about 15 yards down the field

                  2020 - 1st target - overthrow (Williams beat Surtain on a slant), 2nd target cover 2 zone - Williams finds soft spot between Surtain and SS, 3rd target - drops 58 yard TD with Surtain trailing about 3-5 yards behind in man coverage, 4th target cover 2 zone and Williams finds the soft spot again between Surtain and the SS.

                  Surtain got the better of the matchup overall but Williams is a really nice project. The big thing that jumps out watching this matchup, Surtain grabs and holds a lot often times initiating contact around that 5 yard mark. Refs will allow contact but he needs to be more subtle with it, more inside hand around the hip/lower back and less of both hands on the shoulder pads. And he’s a completely different CB when he doesn’t get a hand on his assignment. For Williams, he loves back shoulder throws (I know a certain disgruntled QB who loves throwing them) but what jumped out about him was the improvement from 2019 to 2020. I don’t think it showed in the numbers but Williams route running and his releases against press coverage were dramatically improved in 2020. It still wasn’t up to par for the NFL but improvement shows that he is coachable and does want to improve.

                  Side note, I hate Auburn’s offense. Screens and options are like 80% of the offense. I’m pretty sure I saw a screen to an olineman lined up as a slot receiver. Bo Nix has a cannon for an arm and good mobility but he’s a long way off from being ready for the NFL and the offense does him no favors.
                  An interesting comment by either Fangio or Paton, can't remember which, that they had Seth Williams as the highest rated special teams player in the draft. Paton also said the third day of the draft was all about special teams.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by samparnell View Post

                    The Draft is an emotional experience for some fans because of the internet and cellphones. When my Dad and I became Bronco fans, we read the sports pages of the Rocky Mountain News and The Denver Post, listened to KOA and watched local sports shows on the local news. There were four or five TV channels with no specialized sports programming except for Wide World of Sports on ABC. That was about it. Telephones were all landlines and some people were on party lines and the phonebooks were large. Don't think the Drafts were broadcast at all then.

                    Now it is a different world. There is more information available through cellphones than can be effectively absorbed. There are videos of draft prospects and more stats than most use. That is all really great stuff and amazing to me. It has had an effect of making some think they know exactly what should be done in any situation based on the information they have. When things don't go the way some think they should, they can be very disagreeable.

                    In 2011 when Denver drafted Von Miller, there were some who melted down because they thought the Broncos should have drafted Marcel Dareus instead. On this message board there were some pretty extreme reactions which resulted in some prominent members being permanently banned. So, if someone practices self observation and feels emotionally volatile or fragile going into the Draft, maybe they should ask their doctor about Alprazolam.

                    It might be a good idea for some to not assume that they know more and would have been able to do more than those who have the job. It might be good to treat it like watching a game. Before the snap, pause and ask what it is one sees. After the play, ask what just happened and subject it all to objective analysis. Otherwise, the game might not be as enjoyable as it could be.
                    For old Denver people there was Bob Martin and Larry Zimmer at KOA. A little later I "think" it was Mike Wolfe, Mike "The Catch" Hafner and Woody Paige that started a second sports talk radio show to compete with KOA. I "think" this show evolved into the show that featured Irv Brown and Joe Williams. Denver has a long history of good newspaper sports sections with the RMN and Post competing for decades. Both Bat Masterston (the famous sheriff/gunfighter) and Damon Runyon, who some consider the greatest sportswriter of all time, got their starts as sportswriters at the Post. But it wasn't anything like today.

                    Comment


                    • Still haven’t heard anything in the media about epilepsy being the reason or a reason the Broncos might have passed on Fields. If the altitude in Denver isn’t enough to be a concern, Paton better be right about going with Lock and Bridgewater.

                      Edit: Okay, just did a quick search on the subject and it does appear Denver’s altitude is enough to induce a seizure. The question now is whether or not medication is enough to combat that problem. We might find out the next time the Bears visit Denver.
                      Last edited by broncolee; 05-03-2021, 06:14 AM.
                      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                      You Mad Bro?
                      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

                      Comment


                      • Great inside article on the events of this weekend. Definitely worth a read.

                        Apparently the player Paton had wanted to trade back into the 1st for was Jaelan Phillips.
                        2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
                        Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                          Great inside article on the events of this weekend. Definitely worth a read.

                          Apparently the player Paton had wanted to trade back into the 1st for was Jaelan Phillips.
                          Good read!

                          Haha.....so did Paton get ticked at Miami for selecting Phillips when they did, and as a result, got payback with Williams!

                          I thought that right away when we moved up to land Williams, one ahead of Miami, it was because Miami was going to pick him. They could use a stud RB. Mind you, they passed on RBs til round 7, so I guess it was not a critical need.
                          Last edited by CanDB; 05-03-2021, 08:11 AM.

                          Comment


                          • Here are the right answers when discussing The Broncos:

                            1) The management/coaching group know everything, and we should not have differing opinions
                            2) Paton is a genius
                            3) It was an amazing draft, no matter who we selected
                            4) All those so called experts who predict that we will not be in the playoffs are unworthy of recognition
                            5) Fans are important, but need to watch more and talk less...unless it's positive
                            6) Power rankings are for losers




                            (not to be taken too seriously....I prefer half full)

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                              Great inside article on the events of this weekend. Definitely worth a read.

                              Apparently the player Paton had wanted to trade back into the 1st for was Jaelan Phillips.
                              He was my #1 Edge. I would've been fine with that pick.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                                Great inside article on the events of this weekend. Definitely worth a read.

                                Apparently the player Paton had wanted to trade back into the 1st for was Jaelan Phillips.

                                Thanks for posting

                                The part referencing the trade with Atlanta is also shown in this preview:

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X