Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 2021 NFL Draft....With Emphasis On Our Broncos!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A bit off topic, but as there are a few nostalgic references here, may I ask you all for your recommendation on the history of the Broncos? I only "joined" the fan base around '84 and my memory is sketchy. I know little to nothing about the Broncos before that time.
    suggestions?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by BiscuitBronco View Post
      A bit off topic, but as there are a few nostalgic references here, may I ask you all for your recommendation on the history of the Broncos? I only "joined" the fan base around '84 and my memory is sketchy. I know little to nothing about the Broncos before that time.
      suggestions?
      Good question. I googled it and saw a bunch of titles by authors closely associated with the Broncos like Mike Klis, Jim Saccomano, Andrew Mason and Dave Logan. Sounds like you're interested in the Sixties and Seventies. Larry Zimmer wrote a book, Stadium Stories, which covers that. There are books about and by Floyd Little. Marlin Briscoe wrote a book.

      The history of the Denver Broncos in the Sixties is wrapped around the history of the American Football League. There is a five part/hour TV miniseries called Full Color Football: The History of the American Football League. It has been shown on the NFL Network a couple of times. It's excellent. NFL Network also airs a series called A Football Life. Some of those cover individuals from the AFL.

      You might search for information about Frank Tripucka's and Lionel Taylor's contribution to passing attacks in the early Sixties which are the forerunners of today's. The Broncos were part of some firsts: they won the first AFL game against the Pats because it was played on a Friday Night; they were the first AFL team to defeat an NFL team (Detroit Lions) which was an exhibition/preseason game in 1967 played at DU's old Hilltop Stadium because the AAA Denver Bears were playing at the baseball/football stadium the Broncos shared with them. I was there.

      Art Modell's attempt to exclude the Broncos from the merger and Al Davis' strategy of bringing the NFL whining and crying to the negotiation table are interesting stories that are part of Bronco history.

      Good luck on your search for information.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

      Comment


      • Originally posted by samparnell View Post

        Good question. I googled it and saw a bunch of titles by authors closely associated with the Broncos like Mike Klis, Jim Saccomano, Andrew Mason and Dave Logan. Sounds like you're interested in the Sixties and Seventies. Larry Zimmer wrote a book, Stadium Stories, which covers that. There are books about and by Floyd Little. Marlin Briscoe wrote a book.

        The history of the Denver Broncos in the Sixties is wrapped around the history of the American Football League. There is a five part/hour TV miniseries called Full Color Football: The History of the American Football League. It has been shown on the NFL Network a couple of times. It's excellent. NFL Network also airs a series called A Football Life. Some of those cover individuals from the AFL.

        You might search for information about Frank Tripucka's and Lionel Taylor's contribution to passing attacks in the early Sixties which are the forerunners of today's. The Broncos were part of some firsts: they won the first AFL game against the Pats because it was played on a Friday Night; they were the first AFL team to defeat an NFL team (Detroit Lions) which was an exhibition/preseason game in 1967 played at DU's old Hilltop Stadium because the AAA Denver Bears were playing at the baseball/football stadium the Broncos shared with them. I was there.

        Art Modell's attempt to exclude the Broncos from the merger and Al Davis' strategy of bringing the NFL whining and crying to the negotiation table are interesting stories that are part of Bronco history.

        Good luck on your search for information.
        Wow, thanks Sampranell. Really appreciate the guidance. Very much interested in the earlier history, and to understand more about the legends of the team. Btw my favorite player remains Louis Wright.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by BiscuitBronco View Post
          A bit off topic, but as there are a few nostalgic references here, may I ask you all for your recommendation on the history of the Broncos? I only "joined" the fan base around '84 and my memory is sketchy. I know little to nothing about the Broncos before that time.
          suggestions?
          Hahaha, if Sam didn't respond I was just going to say "Yeah, there is.....just ask Samparnell"
          New England Patriots GM

          Comment


          • Does anyone else feel that Quinn Meinerz has a chance to beat out Cushenberry? I know he as all but been appointed as our Center of the future...but am I the only one who thinks you heavily, underperformed last year. I just don't see him as the Center of the future. I mean, hopefully Meinerz pushes him to get stronger and better, but I am kind of rooting for Meinerz beats him out.
            New England Patriots GM

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
              Does anyone else feel that Quinn Meinerz has a chance to beat out Cushenberry? I know he as all but been appointed as our Center of the future...but am I the only one who thinks you heavily, underperformed last year. I just don't see him as the Center of the future. I mean, hopefully Meinerz pushes him to get stronger and better, but I am kind of rooting for Meinerz beats him out.
              Depends on what Lloyd did in the off season to get stronger. He put the ball in play every offensive snap last year, and that is valuable experience. Quinn seems similar to Netane Muti as a physical O-Lineman. He will not only need to make the transition from DIII to the NFL after being off for a year, but will also be learning a new position at Center as he was a Guard in college, I believe.

              Beastlyskronk has observed that Lloyd's pulling ability might make him a candidate to play G himself. Versatility is a valuable quality for any O-Lineman. Camp battle for C will be a good thing as it usually brings out the best. Quinn might not play/practice his way into the five as a rookie but, like Muti, may see the field during a game this year.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

              Comment


              • Originally posted by samparnell View Post

                Depends on what Lloyd did in the off season to get stronger. He put the ball in play every offensive snap last year, and that is valuable experience. Quinn seems similar to Netane Muti as a physical O-Lineman. He will not only need to make the transition from DIII to the NFL after being off for a year, but will also be learning a new position at Center as he was a Guard in college, I believe.

                Beastlyskronk has observed that Lloyd's pulling ability might make him a candidate to play G himself. Versatility is a valuable quality for any O-Lineman. Camp battle for C will be a good thing as it usually brings out the best. Quinn might not play/practice his way into the five as a rookie but, like Muti, may see the field during a game this year.
                Watching Cush pull in that Miami game was like watching a dirty video. He could do a better job of finishing in space but Lindsay didn’t need him to, he just made him right.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by BiscuitBronco View Post
                  A bit off topic, but as there are a few nostalgic references here, may I ask you all for your recommendation on the history of the Broncos? I only "joined" the fan base around '84 and my memory is sketchy. I know little to nothing about the Broncos before that time.
                  suggestions?
                  I was simply going to say "google". Start by using words like history of. I am sure there are plenty of books, but I often look up history of the team, as do I in other sports, people, businesses, cities/countries, with a few key strokes.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by CanDB View Post

                    I was simply going to say "google". Start by using words like history of. I am sure there are plenty of books, but I often look up history of the team, as do I in other sports, people, businesses, cities/countries, with a few key strokes.
                    Thanks CanDB. Have absolutely done that.. I guess I was after personal recommendations, but I'll dabble with what I can find..and already the excellent steer from Samparnell

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by BiscuitBronco View Post

                      Thanks CanDB. Have absolutely done that.. I guess I was after personal recommendations, but I'll dabble with what I can find..and already the excellent steer from Samparnell
                      No problem. It really is easy nowadays. When I was young you had to go to the library!

                      Conversely I did not want to sound like one of my old buddies. One of our group was asking some questions, and one friend of mine responded with, "there's this new thing called the Internet".

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
                        Does anyone else feel that Quinn Meinerz has a chance to beat out Cushenberry? I know he as all but been appointed as our Center of the future...but am I the only one who thinks you heavily, underperformed last year. I just don't see him as the Center of the future. I mean, hopefully Meinerz pushes him to get stronger and better, but I am kind of rooting for Meinerz beats him out.
                        I think Meinerz has a good shot to start at OC or RG.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by BiscuitBronco View Post

                          Thanks CanDB. Have absolutely done that.. I guess I was after personal recommendations, but I'll dabble with what I can find..and already the excellent steer from Samparnell
                          I have this one nd like it quite a bit.

                          Denver Broncos: The Complete Illustrated History Jim Saccomano
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X