2021 Draft Grades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Draft Grades

Thought I’d start a thread to compile post-draft grades and analysis.

Here’s PFF https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-...s-all-32-teams

DENVER BRONCOS

R1 (9): CB Patrick Surtain II, Alabama
    R2 (35): RB Javonte Williams, North Carolina
    R3 (98): iOL Quinn Meinerz, Wisconsin-Whitewater
    R3 (105): LB Baron Browning, Ohio State
    R5 (152): S Caden Sterns, Texas
    R5 (164): S Jamar Johnson, Indiana
    R6 (219): WR Seth Williams, Auburn
    R7 (237): CB Kary Vincent Jr., LSU
    R7 (239): EDGE Jonathon Cooper, Ohio State
    R7 (253): EDGE Marquiss Spencer, Mississippi State

Day 1: Surtain was a curious pick considering how loaded the Broncos’ defense already is on paper and the team’s clear need at quarterback. But head coach Vic Fangio has a sure-thing lockdown cornerback. Surtain II, the son of former NFL cornerback Patrick Surtain, is a truly elite technical player at every facet of the cornerback position. He can press receivers out of the game and also play zone at a very high level. Surtain is a complete player.

Day 2: The good news is that the Denver Broncos selected the No. 1 running back on PFF’s Big Board as the third back off the board. The bad news is that they traded up to make it happen, thus investing more in the position than is ever wise to do so. Williams is a tackle-breaking machine, blowing through 76 would-be attempts last season at North Carolina.

Everyone’s favorite draft prospect is finally off the board. Meinerz, the Division III prospect, is picked by Denver and could very easily become the team’s starting center next year. He plays with superb technical ability, always showing good leverage and power. He’s also an intelligent player, something you need from your center. Obviously, the level of competition is not good, and he’s not very agile, but he checks every other box.

Browning projects as a pass-rusher at the next level, a role he did play at Ohio State. He was a liability on the field for most of his career until this past season. While he thumps people and is a physical player, he is just not a very fast processor, and that’s why teams will probably move him to the line of scrimmage.

Day 3: Jamar Johnson might be one of the best picks of the entire draft; he fits like a glove in Vic Fangio’s defense and was a clear second-round pick in our eyes. His tackling issues and small sample size may have scared some teams away, but the coverage ability he displayed at Indiana was special. Johnson played all over the field and thrived in every role, displaying the nimble feet and the smooth hips that are required on the back end in the NFL. He produced an 89.3 coverage grade during an Indiana career that featured seven interceptions and six forced incompletions.

Draft Grade: A-
    Last edited by Pruke; 05-02-2021, 01:46 PM.
    Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

Here is nfl.com - https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-dr...r-all-32-teams

Denver Broncos
    Overall Grade B+

Draft picksDay 1 grade: B

Day 2 grade: A+

Day 3 grade: A-

Analysis: The Broncos picked the best cornerback in the draft in Surtain, so there’s no questioning the value of that selection. But GM George Paton passed on quarterback Justin Fields -- and fans won’t forget that decision if Fields goes on to great success in Chicago while Denver continues to search for an answer at QB. Paton made a strong move to get an explosive workhorse in Williams, but didn’t give up the farm to do so. Meinerz and Browning were excellent values as late third-round picks worthy of second-round consideration.

The Broncos picked Sterns, an athletic playmaker who was available in the fifth due to injury and inconsistent tackling, to play with Justin Simmons and Kareem Jackson. Johnson’s been an effective cover safety and can work in the slot, which might be where Vincent is utilized, too. When Williams is on his game, smaller corners find it difficult to stay with him downfield. Cooper has the agility to move from a hand-down end at Ohio State to a stand-up rusher with the Broncos. Spencer has fourth-round athleticism and could grow into a solid rotational five-technique.
    Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

Comment

Here’s the Ringer - https://www.theringer.com/2021/5/1/2...rounds-tracker

Denver Broncos
      Grade C

CB Patrick Surtain II, Alabama (Round 1, Pick 9)
      RB Javonte Williams, North Carolina (Round 2, Pick 35)
      OG Quinn Meinerz, Wisconsin-Whitewater (Round 3, Pick 98)
      LB Baron Browning, Ohio State (Round 3, Pick 105)
      S Caden Sterns, Texas (Round 5, Pick 152)
      S Jamar Johnson, Indiana (Round 5, Pick 164)
      WR Seth Williams, Auburn (Round 6, Pick 219)
      CB Kary Vincent Jr., LSU (Round 6, Pick 237)
      DE Jonathon Cooper, Ohio State (Round 7, Pick 239)
      DE Marquiss Spencer, Mississippi State (Round 7, Pick 253)

If the Broncos somehow figure out a way to finagle a trade with the Packers for Aaron Rodgers, this draft grade will suddenly look a lotdifferent. But as of now, I find it hard to believe that Denver passed on the chance to take Justin Fields with the no. 9 pick. Surtain is supremely talented, but sticking with the quarterback combination of Drew Lock and Teddy Bridgewater is uninspiring. Then the Broncos traded up in the second round just to pick a running back. This doesn’t look like a team that’s especially close to pushing Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs for AFC West supremacy.

Comment

Here is USA Today - https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rs/4904079001/

Denver Broncos
        Ample speculation, heretofore unfounded, linking them to Aaron Rodgers. But divorce that from the assessment of new GM George Paton's first draft class – which looks awfully solid with plug-and-play first-round CB Patrick Surtain II, impressive second-round RB Javonte Williams (whom Paton moved up for) and even highly acclaimed third-round Division III star Quinn Meinerz, who will probably win a spot on the offensive line. And surrendering a mere sixth-rounder for quarterback insurance the caliber of Teddy Bridgewater seems like a deft move. (And, FWIW, this franchise remains among the few realistically positioned to acquire Rodgers ... if it comes to that.) Grade: A

Comment

NYPost - https://nypost.com/2021/05/01/2021-n...-all-32-teams/

Denver Broncos
          Grade: B+

Key Picks: Patrick Surtain (CB, Alabama), Javonte Williams (RB, North Carolina), Quinn Meinerz (C/OG, Wisconsin-Whitewater), Baron Browning (OLB, Ohio State)

Analysis: Decided to pass on QBs Justin Fields and Mac Jones and on trading back. Surtain is as close to a no-risk pick as possible but wasn’t a top need. Williams is a home-run hitter with fresh legs entering the NFL to push Melvin Gordon aside. Scouts love Meinerz’s edge.

Comment

SI.com - https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/05/02/nfl-draft-2021-grades

Denver Broncos

Round 1 (9) - Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama
            Round 2 (35) - Javonte Williams, RB, North Carolina
            Round 3 (98) - Quinn Meinerz, OG, Wisconsin-Whitewater
            Round 3 (105) - Baron Browning, LB, Ohio State
            Round 5 (152) - Caden Sterns, S, Texas
            Round 5 (164) - Jamar Johnson, S, Indiana
            Round 6 (219) - Seth Williams, WR, Auburn
            Round 7 (237) - Kary Vincent, Jr., CB, LSU
            Round 7 (239) - Jonathon Cooper, DE, Ohio State
            Round 7 (253) - Marquiss Spencer, DE, Mississippi State

I don’t think it’s possible to love a three rounds as much as Denver’s but in a very specific way. This is a Vic Fangio draft, which bolstered the team’s offensive line, added an effective, pass-protecting, three-down running back and most notably, bookended their secondary with another talented corner. A quarterback, especially a rookie, may not have made the same kind of first-year impact as someone like Patrick Surtain, who takes this Denver defense from good to great immediately.

Throw in mountain man and belly shirt enthusiast Quinn Meinerz, who will add some critical interior depth and season while the Broncos decide what to do with Graham Glasgow, who is great but entering a logical opt-out point in his contract, and Dalton Risner, a second-round pick from 2019 who could stand to improve.

GRADE: B+

Comment

If we somehow land Rodgers, this is an A draft, pending who we would have to give up.

Almost every assessment I read, and based on my personal take, the QB question mark still leaves a shadow on everything else we do. If I can be more positive, Lock may still be the answer.

But a Rodgers trade, even if it involves Surtain, a player that I am sure GB would love to have, would make this a winner of a draft because it added to an already solid Dbackfield, landed our long term RB, and provided depth in some areas of concern. I think we could have helped out more at OT and Edge, but that's just me.

If no Rodgers, I give it a B as of today....pending Lock's growth.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                If we somehow land Rodgers, this is an A draft, pending who we would have to give up.

Almost every assessment I read, and based on my personal take, the QB question mark still leaves a shadow on everything else we do. If I can be more positive, Lock may still be the answer.

But a Rodgers trade, even if it involves Surtain, a player that I am sure GB would love to have, would make this a winner of a draft because it added to an already solid Dbackfield, landed our long term RB, and provided depth in some areas of concern. I think we could have helped out more at OT and Edge, but that's just me.

I agree a Rodgers trade makes much of this even better. One of the things the analysts don’t always capture are the impact of the coaching staff and where they end up placing players. For example, if Vic looks at Browning as a Miller 2.0, which I thought of watching some of his tape, then this is a great pick. If you think they’re going put him in the middle, then the pick looks bad since he struggles with quick reads and play diagnosis.

Comment

Washington Post - https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-draft-grades/

Denver Broncos: B-

The Broncos were said to still be a candidate to take a QB at No. 9 even after they traded for Teddy Bridgewater to pair with holdover Drew Lock. Perhaps that was pre-draft subterfuge; Denver used the ninth pick on CB Patrick Surtain II. He’s a promising cornerback and worthy of the ninth choice. But the Broncos, again, have failed to resolve their QB issues, unless a trade for Aaron Rodgers is forthcoming. Second-round RB Javonte Williams and third-round G/C Quinn Meinerz were sensible picks.

Comment

https://twitter.com/BrandonPerna/sta...074853376?s=20
                    The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

i would give this draft an A any thing less if it plays out my way is laughable

i think Surtain and Williams will be Mainstays day 1 and Williams will break over 1k yards. i think there is a good chance Browning could beat out Jewell who is a back up at best quality LBer. Meinez could push Cush for playing time but i doubt it. he will be fun to watch compete with Muti for the gaurd once Glasgow leaves either way our interior o-line looks pretty set. next i think Sterns is gonna surprise some people STerns and Simmons may be our future S combo. i better either one of the safety this draft will be it. either way Trey Marshall is gone so that good
                      Lastly Kary Vincent and Spencer could be sleepers to surprise. so i really like it. i think there is a good chance we got 3 day 1 starters this draft. which you will never turn down.
                      sigpic
                      oakland raders gm
                      latavis murray trade bait

Comment

On its own merit, this draft has everything you could hope for. 2-3 instant starters on paper, and a plethora of high upside development guys who should fit as ST upgrades immediately. I would love to see an argument that we did not, almost certainly, improve in all three phases.

I get the want of a new QB toy to play with, but I also feel Lock will play on par or better than any rookie QB we could have brought in. So as far as improving our chances in 2021, this drft gets a pass. Grades are for 3 year look back imo
                        Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

this was awesome - you can tell George is a wheeler dealer - probably the guy who drove similar deals with Vikings - he looks like he loves it

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I agree with the concept in general beyond Rodgers. If the QB position holds back the team in 2021 than the whole off season is a bust. If we go to the playoffs and the QBs play well enough to least not be a weakness than the off season plus draft look good. If we get good or better QB play than it looks great.

The front office and coaches worked together and decided Teddy and Lock will be enough when all options were considered. Maybe we land Rodgers...maybe we do not.
                            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                              On its own merit, this draft has everything you could hope for. 2-3 instant starters on paper, and a plethora of high upside development guys who should fit as ST upgrades immediately. I would love to see an argument that we did not, almost certainly, improve in all three phases.

I get the want of a new QB toy to play with, but I also feel Lock will play on par or better than any rookie QB we could have brought in. So as far as improving our chances in 2021, this drft gets a pass. Grades are for 3 year look back imo
                              Yup - at first I wondered why all the DBs, but ST has always been a headache

Comment

Working...
                              X