Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Draft Grades

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    i would give this draft an A any thing less if it plays out my way is laughable

    i think Surtain and Williams will be Mainstays day 1 and Williams will break over 1k yards. i think there is a good chance Browning could beat out Jewell who is a back up at best quality LBer. Meinez could push Cush for playing time but i doubt it. he will be fun to watch compete with Muti for the gaurd once Glasgow leaves either way our interior o-line looks pretty set. next i think Sterns is gonna surprise some people STerns and Simmons may be our future S combo. i better either one of the safety this draft will be it. either way Trey Marshall is gone so that good
    Lastly Kary Vincent and Spencer could be sleepers to surprise. so i really like it. i think there is a good chance we got 3 day 1 starters this draft. which you will never turn down.
    Vics good - will be interesting where he thinks Browning should line up. On tape it looks like edge but Vic is the man in that dept so I’ll trust his take after ST & coaching
    Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Pruke View Post

      Vics good - will be interesting where he thinks Browning should line up. On tape it looks like edge but Vic is the man in that dept so I’ll trust his take after ST & coaching
      May not mean anything, but Browner said he was eager to learn from Von and Chubb, or something along those lines.
      Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by MHSalute View Post

        May not mean anything, but Browner said he was eager to learn from Von and Chubb, or something along those lines.
        makes sense - but here’s someone’s take our our depth chart right now (and not too out of bounds)

        https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/DEN

        They have Browning as ILB and strangely Seth Williams ahead of Cleveland at WR

        Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

        Comment


        • #19
          I think an A- to B+ range grade. Pretty good picks but still not sure about the QB situation.

          Comment


          • #20
            If Lock shows the lousy body language again I will be the first to say I was wrong about passing on Fields. If Fields excels ala Justin Herbert then I will also be eating a lot of gross crow. But I think a well rounded roster with extra DB tacklers for the SEVENTEEN game season is going to pay dividends.
            Deep D beats deep QB room in MHO.

            Comment


            • #21
              CB Patrick Surtain II, Alabama (Round 1, Pick 9) - (A+) This was one of those picks that just made absolute sense. You've got a guy that's a borderline guaranteed pro-bowler. This is the kind of pick that needed to be made, similar to the Quentin Nelson miss a couple years ago. Great job!
              RB Javonte Williams, North Carolina (Round 2, Pick 35) - (A+) A big need for us and a lot of people saw this as the best RB in the draft.
              OG Quinn Meinerz, Wisconsin-Whitewater (Round 3, Pick 98) - (B) This one is interesting. Boom or bust potential, IMO. We needed some O-line help and hopefully this guy can provide it. He created a lot of buzz through his workout videos and he obviously competed well at the Senior Bowl, but he played low-level competition in college, even as a walk on. I'll be curious to see how he holds up against top-tier talent on a weekly basis.
              LB Baron Browning, Ohio State (Round 3, Pick 105) - (A-) Again, a much needed position. Hoping that this guy turns out and can be our ILB of the future. With his questionable play recognition and instincts, he may not materialize, but worth filling a position of need in the 3rd.
              S Caden Sterns, Texas (Round 5, Pick 152) - (F) OT Tommy Doyle was available here and should have been selected, as it would have filled a glaring need. I'm not sure I see I see a lot of value with this pick. 5 star recruit out of HS that was plagued by injuries and never really reached his potential at Texas.
              S Jamar Johnson, Indiana (Round 5, Pick 164) - (A+) Unbelievable pick. Great value. A lot of people had Johnson as a 2nd round pick. It's surprising he fell this far and it's also surprising that Sterns was picked up before him. I'm really excited about this pick and hope he turns into a long-time Bronco great for us.
              WR Seth Williams, Auburn (Round 6, Pick 219) - (C-) Good size. Looks the part. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut, but he might be a practice squad player. Lots of questions if he actually loves football.
              CB Kary Vincent Jr., LSU (Round 6, Pick 237) - (A+) I am actually pumped about this kid. Incredible athlete. Pedigree. I'm excited for him to come in, learn and grow. I think this kid has the potential to be something special at Nickel. He has a nasty attitude. Great value at this pick.
              DE Jonathon Cooper, Ohio State (Round 7, Pick 239) - (B+) Good depth. Solid value that projected as a 5th rounder. I'll be really curious if he can become a solid player and stick.
              DE Marquiss Spencer, Mississippi State (Round 7, Pick 253) - (B-) Not much to say about this pick. Natural DE and good athlete that has weight problems. Hopefully Kollar can get something out of him.

              Overall, I give the Broncos a B-. I thought the Caden Sterns was a HUGE miss as there was a solid OT available that we were targeting at the time... Seth Williams pick will probably end up being a throw-away, but some amazing value at several other picks. I think there are going to be some household names in the bunch. Obviously, the Broncos are all-in on Drew Lock at this point. I'm hoping he makes the most of the opportunity, stays healthy, and makes the leap. If he plays just "solid" football, this team could be formidable.
              Last edited by Joshua2585; 05-04-2021, 08:55 AM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
                CB Patrick Surtain II, Alabama (Round 1, Pick 9) - (A+) This was one of those picks that just made absolute sense. You've got a guy that's a borderline guaranteed pro-bowler. This is the kind of pick that needed to be made, similar to the Quentin Nelson miss a couple years ago. Great job!
                RB Javonte Williams, North Carolina (Round 2, Pick 35) - (A+) A big need for us and a lot of people saw this as the best RB in the draft.
                OG Quinn Meinerz, Wisconsin-Whitewater (Round 3, Pick 98) - (B) This one is interesting. Boom or bust potential, IMO. We needed some O-line help and hopefully this guy can provide it. He created a lot of buzz through his workout videos and he obviously competed well at the Senior Bowl, but he played low-level competition in college, even as a walk on. I'll be curious to see how he holds up against top-tier talent on a weekly basis.
                LB Baron Browning, Ohio State (Round 3, Pick 105) - (A-) Again, a much needed position. Hoping that this guy turns out and can be our ILB of the future. With his questionable play recognition and instincts, he may not materialize, but worth filling a position of need in the 3rd.
                S Caden Sterns, Texas (Round 5, Pick 152) - (F) OT Tommy Doyle was available here and should have been selected, as it would have filled a glaring need. I'm not sure I see I see a lot of value with this pick. 5 star recruit out of HS that was plagued by injuries and never really reached his potential at Texas.
                S Jamar Johnson, Indiana (Round 5, Pick 164) - (A+) Unbelievable pick. Great value. A lot of people had Johnson as a 2nd round pick. It's surprising he fell this far and it's also surprising that Sterns was picked up before him. I'm really excited about this pick and hope he turns into a long-time Bronco great for us.
                WR Seth Williams, Auburn (Round 6, Pick 219) - (C-) Good size. Looks the part. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut, but he might be a practice squad player. Lots of questions if he actually loves football.
                CB Kary Vincent Jr., LSU (Round 6, Pick 237) - (A+) I am actually pumped about this kid. Incredible athlete. Pedigree. I'm excited for him to come in, learn and grow. I think this kid has the potential to be something special at Nickel. He has a nasty attitude. Great value at this pick.
                DE Jonathon Cooper, Ohio State (Round 7, Pick 239) - (B+) Good depth. Solid value that projected as a 5th rounder. I'll be really curious if he can become a solid player and stick.
                DE Marquiss Spencer, Mississippi State (Round 7, Pick 253) - (B-) Not much to say about this pick. Natural DE and good athlete that has weight problems. Hopefully Kollar can get something out of him.

                Overall, I give the Broncos a B-. I thought the Caden Sterns was a HUGE miss as there was a solid OT available that we were targeting at the time... Seth Williams pick will probably end up being a throw-away, but some amazing value at several other picks. I think there are going to be some household names in the bunch. Obviously, the Broncos are all-in on Drew Lock at this point. I'm hoping he makes the most of the opportunity, stays healthy, and makes the leap. If he plays just "solid" football, this team could be formidable.
                Great write-up. I think our FO was targeting OT Stone Forsythe from Florida too. I think he was the pick in the 6th round, but unfortunately he was taken a few spots before us and forced the FO to take the next top player on their board (Seth Williams). I am equally excited about Surtain, Williams, and Johnson. I really, really think Johnson could be our starting safety in 2022 next to Simmons. I'm not as high on Vincent as you are, but he's an insane athlete and with the proper coaching-- he could be a solid fit as a nickel in Fangio's defense. I could easily see 5-6 players from this class getting second contracts with Denver when it's all said and done.
                2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
                Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

                Comment


                • #23
                  The only thing more useless than mock drafts are draft grades.
                  drafts can’t be graded for probably 3 or 4 years on who the teams hit on.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                    The only thing more useless than mock drafts are draft grades.
                    drafts can’t be graded for probably 3 or 4 years on who the teams hit on.
                    But they're fun.....and loads of experts get paid to do both.

                    To some degree, I believe you can put together a combination of factors to be in the ball park on draft grades:

                    - The basic filling of needs
                    - Value of picks, and in any trades made
                    - The GM's track history (good or bad, did he seem to follow a trend of picking winners or losers)
                    - Consensus of experts....because if 10 of 10 like or dislike something, odds are pretty good they are correct (sure, not always)

                    But absolutely, you need to wait 2-3 years at minimum. If however you have say 3 starters in year 2, it's a healthy start.
                    Last edited by CanDB; 05-04-2021, 11:07 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by CanDB View Post

                      But they're fun.....and loads of experts get paid to do both.

                      To some degree, I believe you can put together a combination of factors to be in the ball park on draft grades:

                      - The basic filling of needs
                      - Value of picks, and in any trades made
                      - The GM's track history (good or bad, did he seem to follow a trend of picking winners or losers)
                      - Consensus of experts....because if 10 of 10 like or dislike something, odds are pretty good they are correct (sure, not always)

                      But absolutely, you need to wait 2-3 years at minimum. If however you have say 3 starters in year 2, it's a healthy start.
                      True they are fun, and help kill time waiting for season.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                        True they are fun, and help kill time waiting for season.
                        Isn't most of this about entertainment?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Pat Surtain - B+

                          I don’t hate the pick, I would’ve preferred Parsons, but Surtain is a solid player. I’m not sure if he’s a day 1 starter given the acquisitions of Darby and Fuller with Callahan being a near lock for the nickel spot barring injury. I think he’ll serve a specialist role early on matching up against some of the bigger WRs and some TEs. Training camp should be a fun battle between Surtain and OJ, Surtain is better, but OJ in year 2 might make a jump.

                          Javonte Williams - B+

                          Williams will be an incredible RB, I don’t doubt that. I just don’t like trading up for a RB especially when he’s likely to be splitting time with another RB. But Williams is a tremendous player and gives our offense a real smash mouth identity.

                          Quinn Meinerz - A

                          If we hadn’t drafted Williams before this, I’d probably not rate this pick so highly but the combo of them (and the Muti pick last year) gives me the impression that this team is going to run hard and wear down defenses. The best way to help a young QB is to run the ball and let him throw off play action and Meinerz as well as Williams helps us do that.

                          Baron Browning - C+

                          Interesting athletic profile, but he’s more athlete than football player at this point. This is a pick that can easily be an A+ a few years down the road but a lot of coaching will have to go into this kid to get him ready to play. Hopefully that comes sooner than later because I’m tired of watching Josey Jewell in the middle of the defense. Should offer some great special teams play immediately which is an area we’ve really struggled in as well.

                          Caden Sterns - B

                          Solid pick right here. Some tackling issues and some health concerns but nothing too major. This kid is fast and has good ball skills. We struggle to force turnovers and he should be able to help us out with that as long as he’s healthy. I think he has potential as a deep center fielder which boosts him up a bit in my eyes. He should also offer immediate help on special teams although I’m not sure if he’s a gunner or not.

                          Jamar Johnson - B+

                          This was a really great value and yet at the same time felt unnecessary give we had just drafted Sterns and have resigned Simmons to a long term deal. But this is great insurance for Sterns who gets nicked up and Johnson is a very good player in his own right. He’s probably a nickel type safety which ends my hopes of bringing back Parks and likely forces Dawson off the roster. Tackling needs some work but I think that has more to do with him adjusting to S.

                          Seth Williams - A+

                          My favorite pick of the draft. I was shocked he lasted this long personally. 40 time won’t show it but he’s an exceptional athlete and is right there with Kary Vincent in the 100M. He’s an unfinished product right now, everything needs to be worked on due to the limited offense he played in, in college. Jump balls and back shoulder throws are where he excels right now. But the biggest thing he really needs to work on is his mindset, too often at Auburn he’d check out mentally from not getting the ball or from losing. But make no mistake about it, he is a passionate player and will let CBs hear about it after catching a contested pass on them. That backfired on him against Jaycee Horn though. He reminds me of a really raw Dez Bryant, once he gets the nuances of being a WR down he will be a problem for defenses.

                          Kary Vincent Jr - A

                          I really love this pick as well. Another incredible athlete that I think can really make it as a nickel back in this league. Should offer huge upside on special teams immediately with his speed. Not sure how much defense he’ll play this upcoming season but he has a great opportunity to learn from Callahan whom I think he’ll eventually replace when he walks.



                          I would talk about Cooper and Spencer but I’m tired of typing right now. Cooper looks to be solid depth that can maybe develop into more down the line. Spencer is a boom or bust guy. He could be the next Chris Jones or he could be out of the league in a year or two, that’ll depend on how committed he is to staying in shape and honing his craft. I’ll give both a B and call it a day.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                            Pat Surtain - B+

                            I don’t hate the pick, I would’ve preferred Parsons, but Surtain is a solid player. I’m not sure if he’s a day 1 starter given the acquisitions of Darby and Fuller with Callahan being a near lock for the nickel spot barring injury. I think he’ll serve a specialist role early on matching up against some of the bigger WRs and some TEs. Training camp should be a fun battle between Surtain and OJ, Surtain is better, but OJ in year 2 might make a jump.
                            Pretty much sums up my feelings. I'm right there with you on the Browning pick as well.

                            Jonathon Cooper was a semi-steal. His tape is okay. It doesn't blow you away, but he's relatively sound fundamentally and where assignments/recognition are concerned. He has power, and a little bit of speed. He's not going to chase plays down very often to the sidelines or out of the backfield, but he's solid against the run and the pass (zone coverage is a guess). His Senior Bowl pass rush reps, on the other hand, were more impressive. Some would've liked Shaka Toney here, and I would've been okay with that. Cooper is a little more polished, where Toney is a better athlete. Toney tends to get stuffed when he can't run by tackles, and you typically won't have this problem where Cooper is concerned. Cooper is just not going to blow by many NFL tackles unless he gets a good jump on them. Cooper also plays hard and through the whistle consistently. I hope he makes it, and has an impact for us. He was a team captain at Ohio St., and a great story. It's worth reading into. Also, not many here may be aware of this, but OSU started a new tradition of awarding the number '0' to the player who best represents the ideal principles of the program.

                            If you love Rod Smith for his character, you're going to love Jonathon Cooper.
                            Last edited by Spice 1; 05-04-2021, 02:01 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                              The only thing more useless than mock drafts are draft grades.
                              drafts can’t be graded for probably 3 or 4 years on who the teams hit on.
                              I remember in 2018 Chad Reuter gave the Broncos' draft an A grade.

                              It evidently doesn't deserve such a grade three years later...

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                The miss of drafting an OT looks even more grave now that Juwann James is done in Denver. Yikes. We're in a bad spot.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X