2021 Draft Grades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    The miss of drafting an OT looks even more grave now that Juwann James is done in Denver. Yikes. We're in a bad spot.
    He tore it outside the facility, I believe it will get us off the hook for some of his guaranteed salary.
    Options:
    A) move Risner to RT
    B) Calvin Anderson
    C) Free Agent:
    Mitchell Schwartz
    Rick Wagner -
    Bobby Massie
    Dennis Kelly
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
      The miss of drafting an OT looks even more grave now that Juwann James is done in Denver. Yikes. We're in a bad spot.
      Man! You got that right! Now Denver needs two Tackles along with another O-Lineman just for TC practice.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

A bunch of us bemoaned missing out on OT. Not to put too fine a point on it, but it could torpedo the offense this year. How successful we are in filling that gap will go a long way in evaluating this draft.

Comment

Originally posted by dgobronco View Post
          A bunch of us bemoaned missing out on OT. Not to put too fine a point on it, but it could torpedo the offense this year. How successful we are in filling that gap will go a long way in evaluating this draft.
          Better that it happened now and could be a blessing in disguise. Risner may be tried at RT and an UFA is needed at least for depth. Denver has cap space to sign a Tackle. Charles Leno, Dennis Kelly and Ricky Wagner are possibilities. The end result will probably be a better run blocker than James. TE depth needs a good blocker. Denver should probably give Virgil Green a call.

Comment

Very supportive of this draft. Our interior line was atrocious last year and I think Meinerz will help sooner than most think, even coming from DII.

Most of the grades I have seen only downgrade us because we passed on Fields and Jones. While I was a Fields fan, I understand passing on him. The bigger issue is ignoring the Tackle position again.

Comment

I like the draft class we have, but I don't love it.

I like Surtain. I really do. If we passed on Fields because of the news he had epilepsy and there was concerns about how the altitude in Denver would affect it, I understand. If it was just because they didn't like him better than Surtain, then I disagree with the pick. I believe Fields is going to be a top 5 franchise QB. I understand we have cornerbacks on a one year contract, but we could have addressed CB later. Same goes for passing on Slater. Obviously, no one can predict injuries, but there was already concerns about James durability and commitment. And, not only did we pass on Slater, we didn't take an offensive tackle at all. In fact, we haven't drafted a tackle since Bolles in 2017! That's absurd, given how important the tackle position is. I was fine passing on Parsons, given the character concerns.

At first, I was a little disappointed that we traded up for a running back, especially, with the tackles still available. But, again, I get it, Gordon is in his final year, and, believe me, I love what Williams brings. And, I absolutely love his physicality.

I'm ok with the Quinn Meinerz pick, mostly because, where he was picked, all the best remaining tackles for that area of the draft were already gone.

Loved.... absolutely loved the Baron Browning pick. And not just because I'm a Buckeyes fan. His athletic abilities, speed and motor are top notch. I don't like Fangio as a head coach, but as a defensive coach, he is great and I can't wait until he can coach Baron up and unlock his potential. If he can, we'll have one of the best linebackers in the NFL.

The rest of the picks I liked, except, again, for not taking a flier on a tackle or two. But, I get that these guys will make their biggest contributions on special teams and usually tackles aren't on them. Would have liked another linebacker as well. I just think we kind of ignored some of our glaring needs.

On a scale of 1-10, I give it an 7.
              Last edited by sra84; 05-05-2021, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung View Post
                Very supportive of this draft. Our interior line was atrocious last year and I think Meinerz will help sooner than most think, even coming from DII.

Most of the grades I have seen only downgrade us because we passed on Fields and Jones. While I was a Fields fan, I understand passing on him. The bigger issue is ignoring the Tackle position again.
                Think Wisconsin-Whitewater is DIII.

Comment

Originally posted by Bootleg View Post

I remember in 2018 Chad Reuter gave the Broncos' draft an A grade.

It evidently doesn't deserve such a grade three years later...
                  lol

Denver Broncos
                  Draft picks: N.C. State edge rusher Bradley Chubb (No. 5 overall), SMU WR Courtland Sutton (No. 40 overall), Oregon RB Royce Freeman (No. 71 overall), Boston College DB Isaac Yiadom (No. 99 overall), Iowa LB Josey Jewell (No. 106 overall), Penn State WR DaeSean Hamilton (No. 113 overall), Wisconsin TE Troy Fumagalli (No. 156 overall), Arizona State OG Sam Jones (No. 183 overall), Washington LB Keishawn Bierria (No. 217 overall), Arkansas RB David Williams (No. 226 overall).
                  Day 1 grade: A
                  Day 2 grade: A
                  Day 3 grade: A
                  Overall grade: A
                  The skinny: Chubb was the best value on the board for this team. Putting him and Von Miller on the same defense makes them dangerous again, like when DeMarcus Ware and Miller were doing their thing. Case Keenum's two-year deal took QB out of the equation here, and Paxton Lynch still has an opportunity to grow into a starter. Sutton's going to be a playmaker at the next level because of his quick feet and size. The Broncos also needed a running back after letting C.J. Anderson go, and found one in Freeman, who looked more explosive later in the 2017 season. He might be getting back to his former self after struggling through injury; if he returns to form, the team got a steal. Trading Aqib Talib meant the Broncos were in need of a corner with length. Yiadom is a good fit. Jewell was a fine fourth-round pick at inside linebacker for the Broncos. He's solid and able to cover space due to his instincts. Adding Hamilton a day after picking Sutton should make Keenum very happy. Fumagalli and Jones should have been picked a round or two earlier; both fill huge needs for the Broncos.

Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

Comment

Ouch...that's a frightening perspective on optimism vs past reality! I'm thinking the Sterns pick may get the most scrutiny going forward. Otherwise I like the draft and hope they find an OT when other teams start trimming.

Comment

I read that we were targeting Brady Christiansen with pick 71, but Carolina (who I think had best draft this year), traded up with Philly because they got word we were taking him and took him right before. Hence our trade down at that spot to the Giants....then again with the Saints and getting Micky Loomis to do what he does and overpay in draft capital.

And yes, in hindsight, it is rough having not drafted a Tackle, but I think getting Quinn Meinerz and Baron Browning wasn't a bad consolation. Carolina took both Christiansen and Tommy Tremble ahead of us in that round. Man I really wanted Tremble.
                      Last edited by Gbt31; 05-12-2021, 03:30 AM.
                      New England Patriots GM

Comment

Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
                        I read that we were targeting Brady Christiansen with pick 71, but Carolina (who I think had best draft this year), traded up with Philly because they got word we were taking him and took him right before. Hence our trade down at that spot to the Giants....then again with the Saints and getting Micky Loomis to do what he does and overpay in draft capital.

And yes, in hindsight, it is rough having not drafted a Tackle, but I think getting Quinn Meinerz and Baron Browning wasn't a bad consolation. Carolina took both Christiansen and Tommy Tremble ahead of us in that round. Man I really wanted Tremble.
                        Agreed and that is how you build winning teams.

May have to get a FA T in the interim, but we took a shot at 2 positions vs. 1 and who knows, maybe Brady C stinks but that risk follows every pick - we derisked by scooping up 2 players.
                        Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

Comment

Originally posted by Pruke View Post

Agreed and that is how you build winning teams.

May have to get a FA T in the interim, but we took a shot at 2 positions vs. 1 and who knows, maybe Brady C stinks but that risk follows every pick - we derisked by scooping up 2 players.
                          Denver's O-Line looks good at the moment except for RT. Losing Ja'Wuan James may result in getting a better RT with better depth than if he had started the season. Can hardly wait to see who they sign.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung View Post

Yeah....I just don't this ongoing issue with selecting quality Tackles. Makes little sense. People say we can just go sign one, but there are so many advantages of drafting a good one (even a few rounds in):
                            - They can often start immediately
                            - They come cheap, whereas a vet will cost more now, and may not be here long
                            - You can groom them into the system and the culture

Not knocking this year's draft, as it was pretty solid. And even though the James situation was an unknown at the time, we were not convinced about his fit here, and his durability.

Comment

Working...
                            X