We Need an OT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Need an OT!

I, for one, am excited to see Ja'wuan James back in action. When he plays, he's an extremely talented RT, but.....1) I'm not sure how he'll look after basically two years out of football, and 2) can we count on him, as he's been a complete headcase. I'm really high on Anderson as a backup, but aside from those two, we have nothing at RT. We'll at least need another backup. Do we resign the aged Dotson? Also, we have crazy depth at interior OL, and might have 5 players who can start. I'm sure it's been brought up on boards, but what does everyone think of moving Risner back to OT? Or perhaps we trade Glasgow (who is overpriced in my opinion) for some OT depth and/or other considerations (as I think Muti is already better than Glasgow)? While we're on that subject, we have too many WRs, and have a few tradeable assets in Patrick and Hamilton (and there are a number of WR needy teams), and I couldn't help but notice Fangio's and Paton's snub of Freeman. Maybe we can trade one or all of those players for an OT? What does everyone else think? Is anyone as worried about OT as I am?

Originally posted by IncognitoSum View Post
    I, for one, am excited to see Ja'wuan James back in action. When he plays, he's an extremely talented RT, but.....1) I'm not sure how he'll look after basically two years out of football, and 2) can we count on him, as he's been a complete headcase. I'm really high on Anderson as a backup, but aside from those two, we have nothing at RT. We'll at least need another backup. Do we resign the aged Dotson? Also, we have crazy depth at interior OL, and might have 5 players who can start. I'm sure it's been brought up on boards, but what does everyone think of moving Risner back to OT? Or perhaps we trade Glasgow (who is overpriced in my opinion) for some OT depth and/or other considerations (as I think Muti is already better than Glasgow)? While we're on that subject, we have too many WRs, and have a few tradeable assets in Patrick and Hamilton (and there are a number of WR needy teams), and I couldn't help but notice Fangio's and Paton's snub of Freeman. Maybe we can trade one or all of those players for an OT? What does everyone else think? Is anyone as worried about OT as I am?
    On one hand, it is encouraging that Denver seems to think Ja'Wuan James is ready to play this year. On the other, depth is thin. Don't expect Bailey or Himmelman to be on the roster. Calvin Anderson is Swing Tackle and had two starts last year, one on each side. He looked better on the left. He's good depth, but the season will be longer and unforeseen circumstances may arise, so better to be prepared.

If Denver plans to have first, second and third team in TC, they need another Tackle anyway because five of the current thirteen O-Linemen are Tackles. They have cap space if they want to sign an UFA like Alejandro Villanueva or Ricky Wagner. As some have pointed out, Dalton Risner was All-Big 12 RT at K-State and All-American his Senior year. He could slide over to RT in a pinch.

You make a good point that there are some assets at positions of depth for trade, but the best one could reasonably hope for is a good depth guy. Don't think anybody will trade a sfarter. Demar Dotson is available, I think, but at his age he's short term only.

We shall see.

P.S. Another angle might be to raid another team's PS after the season begins.
    Last edited by samparnell; 05-04-2021, 05:48 AM.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

If only the NFL had some type of system in place that allowed franchises to pick players from college teams in order to fill holes in the roster...

...yes I'm still a little salty over the draft.
      Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
        If only the NFL had some type of system in place that allowed franchises to pick players from college teams in order to fill holes in the roster...

I understand. We both wanted and expected a Tackle to be drafted. Didn't happen. We are both skeptical of Ja'Wuan James, but Dove Valley is all in. So, you are grumpy about it. Hope you're not letting this affect your general outlook. You know what? Maybe the O-Line will be OK. If it turns out well, you may have wasted some energy being bummed out. Hang in there. Next play is the best play.

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post

Especially because Teton Saltes signed with the Jets!

Comment

The villenova (sp?) is a FA as is Demar. We will likely snag one closer to camp.
            So far:
            FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
            1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
              The villenova (sp?) is a FA as is Demar. We will likely snag one closer to camp.
              Alejandro Villanueva played at Army and was an officer in the 10th Mountain Division and the Rangers serving in combat in Afghanistan. He played seven seasons in Pittsburgh and was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2017 and 2018 coached by Mike Munchak. He is tall.

Comment

I guess Eric Fisher is still busted? Not sure how bad his injury was, but if healthy, is he worth a gamble?

Comment

Originally posted by BiscuitBronco View Post
                  I guess Eric Fisher is still busted? Not sure how bad his injury was, but if healthy, is he worth a gamble?
                  Think it was Achilles this year/end of 2020 season?

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Think it was Achilles this year/end of 2020 season?
                    yeah if i remember correctly he wont be ready at least until beginning/mid season
                    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post

yeah if i remember correctly he wont be ready at least until beginning/mid season
                      Yes. Achilles isn't as difficult a recovery as it used to be, but the time factor is still in play which may preclude Fisher's return this year. IIRC Netane Muti recovered from Achilles on each leg.

If the Broncos want 1st, 2nd, 3rd team O & D for TC, they need to sign another Tackle because they currently have five. Besides Eric Fisher, two guys still available are Ricky Wagner and Alejandro Villanueva. Denver has cap space and it will be interesting to see how they use it.

Comment

Yes. Achilles isn't as difficult a recovery as it used to be, but the time factor is still in play which may preclude Fisher's return this year. IIRC Netane Muti recovered from Achilles on each leg.

If the Broncos want 1st, 2nd, 3rd team O & D for TC, they need to sign another Tackle because they currently have five. Besides Eric Fisher, two guys still available are Ricky Wagner and Alejandro Villanueva. Denver has cap space and it will be interesting to see how they use it.
                        Or they could mix in Risner at RT in the 2nd or 3rd as a refresher.

Schwartz is still a FA, Leno could be an option. There will probably be some other guys that get cut so we should have a few more options.

Comment

Villanueva signed with the Ravens ... 5/4/2021 that's TODAY ... DANGIT!
                          sigpic

Comment

Wonder just how much cap space they have to use though.

If they are truly in play for Rodgers behind the scenes, they need that cap space to fit him in, correct?

If not, they need to complicate the potential trade with an included high ticket player or release someone. Both create problems of their own.

This is another aspect of this Rodgers issue I find frustrating. The needing to wait for a dysfunctional relationship to be resolved. It freezes the Broncos in practical matters like use of cap. And freezes emotional thought by keeping Lock and the team in limbo until they know if Rodgers is available and a realistic option. Or just wishful thinking?

The dream is always better then the hard work of reality. Broncos and fans are stuck in time and inaction waiting for a decision that may never come. This use of cap space issue is just one way it negatively effects the team.

Comment

Here’s an interesting article about us not taking a tackle in this draft:

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/...kles-nfl-draft

Whats goes around comes around and after we moved in front of the Phins for Javonte Williams we had the same thing done to us by the Panther and Bills
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X