Denver should "acquire" Jaylon Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver should "acquire" Jaylon Smith

Solid MLB evidently surplus to requirements dallas.

That would be a Great Addition.

Comment

His salary isn't too big - I think 7.2M for this season considering Dallas probably will be on the hook for 2.6M in signing and option - 9.8M this season, 11.8M next season and 1M of that is signing bonus that would be on Dallas = 10.8m (he has a 6.8M dead money for 2022), 13.6M in 2023 with 4.2M dead money.

The issue is what do the Broncos trade to the Cowboys? A conditional 3rd pick in 2022? Conditional meaning if he starts very close to all the games it becomes a 2nd? I wouldn't give a 1st for him. Maybe 2 3rds; 2022 and 2023 still with the conditional for 2022. Neither ILBs with the Broncos have been as good against the pass but Jaylon isn't tons better either. He is 26 years old so he has time to possibly get better.

I think, according to his stats so far in his career he does offer what the Broncos need at ILB. He has decent pass coverage - 1 INT, 9 passes defensed and 2 FFs in 2019. His 2020 stats dropped some but still had 1INT, QB rating against is a little high. He has played over 90% of snaps the last 3 seasons, starting the last 48 games. He has the 8th highest average salary for ILB... it could be argued that is a little high (~11.4M avg).

My guess would be the two teams will not be able to agree on trade terms but I think he could possibly be a final/missing piece to this Broncos defense.
      Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 08-26-2021, 11:40 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

I’m not sure he’s the answer. Puts up big tackle numbers but is rather pedestrian overall. It would depend on the price as he does have the physical tools to be very good. He’s currently 5th for them and really probably should be 6th because they have an undrafted guy outplaying him. Dallas won’t cut him because of the contract, but a trade would probably be enticing for them. How high of a draft pick will it take for them to eat some of the salary? Straight up, probably a 6th, but I’d go as high as a 4th if they’re willing to absorb some of that salary.

But then again they probably value him quite a bit as depth especially with LVE being injury prone as well as Keanu Neal and after them you have 2 rookies and one hasn’t played in a year.

Comment

Working...
        X