2022 QB options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 QB options

Let’s go ahead and get an early start on this one…

I will say I hope Teddy and/or Drew play well enough to render this thread moot, but I will also say that the 2022 QB draft class will be much better than everyone currently anticipates and has the potential to have 5 more QBs drafted in the first round.

Regardless of how Teddy/Drew performs in 2021, we will absolutely be in the discussion for a QB. Teddy's contract expires in 2022 and Lock may be traded.

I see Spencer Rattler and Sam Howell as the tier 1 QBs in the 2022 draft class so far. I think there is a clear gap from them to the mid-late 1st round QBs like Carson Strong, Matt Corral, Malik Willis, Desmond Ridder, Kedon Slovis, Jayden Daniels, and JT Daniels. Will there be a QB who has a historical rise like Burrow? Or will there be a QB that rises due to undeniable physical traits like Zach Wilson did last year? Aside from Rattler and Howell, I really think this 2022 class is a huge wildcard.

Comment

I think Desmond Ridder is really good. I think a lot of his bad tape stems from some of the injuries he’s played through as well as being on a Cincinnati team that doesn’t get the same type of recruits like some of the top teams.

Jayden Daniels has an impressive tool set. He can run and throw it 60+ yards with ease. He had a phenomenal freshman season however he didn’t look that good in their very shortened season last season. I think not having guys like Aiyuk and Darby will make it tougher on him, but he can make some incredible throws. Just has to get more consistent.

If Jayden Daniels reminds people of Lamar Jackson (I think the similar size will draw those comparisons) then Matt Corral is going to get everyone from Zach Wilson to Drew Lock. A lot of good skills physically, can be reckless with the ball, but hopefully a second season with the same OC will show the world just how good he can be.

Kedon Slovis is the opposite of those 3 previous QBs. He won’t wow you physically but man is he one heck of a polished QB. I guess that’s to be expected when Kurt Warner is your high school football coach. Arm strength is going to be a big question for him, but I think he has just enough to be a really good QB.

And another guy I really think has a chance but will be taken much later is D’eriq King. He is/was an incredible athlete. The first injury seemed to sap some of what made him so dangerous at Houston, but I think he really started to show signs of improvement after that. He dropped some incredible dimes last season at Miami, if he continues to improve as a passer I think he’ll be a pleasant surprise for a team willing to take a flier on a potentially 5’9”-5’11” QB.

Some other guys I’ll be keeping an eye on, Tanner Morgan, Brock Purdy, Dustin Crum(32 TDs to 4 INTs his last 17 games), Emory Jones (mechanically he’s similar to Jackson in the lower body), Spencer Sanders, Phil Jurkovech, Dillon Gabriel and I’m sure I’ll catch my fair share of the LSU QB unfortunately. Also I know I’m forgetting some others too.

If I had to give a way too early top 5 ranking I’d probably go Howell, Rattler, Ridder, Slovis, Willis. But this will likely be a very volatile list over the course of the season. I think there will be 4-6 guys taken in the first round in this draft class. It might not have the Trevor Lawrence hype machine driving it but it’s more solid than many are claiming.

Comment

I still think next year's class is weak. I don't see any of them worthy of being a first round pick, especially, at the top of the draft, right now.

I see this class as possibly being as bad as the 2013 class that had EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, and, oh yeah, Zac Dysert, just to name a few.

I don't see Howell or Rattler as top notch QB prospects. They are simply the best of a bad bunch, as of now. I think they are being overrated.

Obviously, like all of you, I want to see how they all do this year.

But as of now, I'm not high on any of them.

And if we can't develop Lock, who I think is better than any of those guys, how are we going to get one of them to be the franchise QB we've been waiting for?
        Last edited by sra84; 08-28-2021, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Minshew just got traded to the Eagles for a conditional 6th that could become a 5th.

I know we’ll likely need both Teddy and Lock this year, but part of me thinks that maybe we could get a conditional 5th that could become a 4th for Lock? More draft capital to go get the QB Paton wants in 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post
            I still think next year's class is weak. I don't see any of them worthy of being a first round pick, especially, at the top of the draft, right now.

I see this class as possibly being as bad as the 2013 class that had EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, and, oh yeah, Zac Dysert, just to name a few.

I don't see Howell or Rattler as top notch QB prospects. They are simply the best of a bad bunch, as of now. I think they are being overrated.

Obviously, like all of you, I want to see how they all do this year.

But as of now, I'm not high on any of them.

And if we can't develop Lock, who I think is better than any of those guys, how are we going to get one of them to be the franchise QB we've been waiting for?
            I think this class is more similar to the class that Mayfield came in with. Howell is every bit as good as Mayfield was in my eyes although he’s going to be going at it without his top 2 WRs and top 2 RBs from last season. Rattler shows a lot of similarities to Mayfield too but he’s a lot less refined than the other top QBs in this class, but that means he has the most room to make a big jump so I guess he can be the Sam Darnold comp although he’s more athletic and I think a better QB overall. If Howell’s production stays about the same, he should skyrocket. If Rattler makes that jump he’ll start receiving a lot more media hype as well.

Slovis reminds me of Rosen but without the attitude issue which is ultimately what I think has held Rosen back. But Slovis has an average arm so it’ll be important to see how much he improves his already strong mental game. Ridder is probably the closest to Allen in this class based off some of the inconsistency and their willingness to absorb contact when running. Both have massive arms though and have elevated their team. Malik Willis would be the obvious Lamar Jackson comparison, but I think he’s already better as a passer at least better mechanically, but he isn’t quite as athletic and he’s more willing to take off and run than Jackson was in college.

So I think at the top it compares very well to that class. But where I think this class really sets itself apart is just how many QBs outside of those top 5 or so have a real shot at making noise and skyrocketing their stock. Corral, Strong, Jurkovec, Daniels, Gabriel, and a few others. Obviously they all have question marks, but every class does and some of these guys will probably go back because they want to try and guarantee a first round selection, but there’s enough here for it to surprise some people. Whereas Mayfield’s class really only had Rudolph getting any hype outside of the first and then Lauletta after a strong Senior Bowl. If I remember correctly, that 2018 class was actually considered to be a weak class as well going into that college football season.

Comment

Malik Willis looks interesting.
              A book I wrote

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

I think this class is more similar to the class that Mayfield came in with. Howell is every bit as good as Mayfield was in my eyes although he’s going to be going at it without his top 2 WRs and top 2 RBs from last season. Rattler shows a lot of similarities to Mayfield too but he’s a lot less refined than the other top QBs in this class, but that means he has the most room to make a big jump so I guess he can be the Sam Darnold comp although he’s more athletic and I think a better QB overall. If Howell’s production stays about the same, he should skyrocket. If Rattler makes that jump he’ll start receiving a lot more media hype as well.

Slovis reminds me of Rosen but without the attitude issue which is ultimately what I think has held Rosen back. But Slovis has an average arm so it’ll be important to see how much he improves his already strong mental game. Ridder is probably the closest to Allen in this class based off some of the inconsistency and their willingness to absorb contact when running. Both have massive arms though and have elevated their team. Malik Willis would be the obvious Lamar Jackson comparison, but I think he’s already better as a passer at least better mechanically, but he isn’t quite as athletic and he’s more willing to take off and run than Jackson was in college.

So I think at the top it compares very well to that class. But where I think this class really sets itself apart is just how many QBs outside of those top 5 or so have a real shot at making noise and skyrocketing their stock. Corral, Strong, Jurkovec, Daniels, Gabriel, and a few others. Obviously they all have question marks, but every class does and some of these guys will probably go back because they want to try and guarantee a first round selection, but there’s enough here for it to surprise some people. Whereas Mayfield’s class really only had Rudolph getting any hype outside of the first and then Lauletta after a strong Senior Bowl. If I remember correctly, that 2018 class was actually considered to be a weak class as well going into that college football season.
                Fair enough. But my point is I think this draft class is not good. I wouldn't have wanted Baker Mayfield in 2018 and I certainly don't want any poor man's version of Mayfield next year. And I think Darnold is better than any of the guys in next year's draft.

I'm saying there's no real legit prospects like Lawrence, Herbert, Fields, Watson, Mahomes, etc. I want a leader, a guy who can carry the offense and make those around him better....not a game manager.

As for Ridder, I think his style of play is comparable to Kaepernick's more than Allen's....but that's just my opinion.

Ultimately, I don't see any of the guys being anything better than what Lock is, so I don't believe there's no point of going down that road again.

Comment

Matt Corral. Full stop.

Comment

I think the QB from UNR Carson Strong can be a Legit Starter check him out. University Of Nevada Reno.Coached by Jay Norvell

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
                      I think the QB from UNR Carson Strong can be a Legit Starter check him out. University Of Nevada Reno.Coached by Jay Norvell
                      Mountain West QBs.

Phil Steele agrees with you. He has Carson Strong ahead of Nick Starkel (San Jose St.), Jake Haener (Fresno St.) and Hank Bachmeier (Boise St.) in the Mountain West. He ranks Carson as the 4th best college QB this year.

How many Mountain West QBs who play/played in the NFL can you name? The conference was founded in 1999 and seven of its eight charter members had been in the WAC.
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                        Let’s go ahead and get an early start on this one…

I will say I hope Teddy and/or Drew play well enough to render this thread moot, but I will also say that the 2022 QB draft class will be much better than everyone currently anticipates and has the potential to have 5 more QBs drafted in the first round.
                        Haha.....this might be the earliest in a season we've gone there. I'm sure I am incorrect however.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Mountain West QBs.

Phil Steele agrees with you. He has Carson Strong ahead of Nick Starkel (San Jose St.), Jake Haener (Fresno St.) and Hank Bachmeier (Boise St.) in the Mountain West. He ranks Carson as the 4th best college QB this year.

How many Mountain West QBs who play/played in the NFL can you name? The conference was founded in 1999 and seven of its eight charter members had been in the WAC.
                          I only know of one and his name is Colin Kaepernick from: UNR.

I am stoked that UNR Hired Jay Norvell who I think is a Fabulous Head Coach !!

I honestly believe that Carson Strong can go in the 1st Round. Mountain West Oh Yeaaaa!!

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Mountain West QBs.

Off the top of my head guesses

BVP
                            Casey Bramlet
                            Josh Allen
                            Carr?
                            Alex Smith?

That's all I've got. lol

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

Off the top of my head guesses

BVP
                              Casey Bramlet
                              Josh Allen
                              Carr?
                              Alex Smith?

That's all I've got. lol
                              I've got Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, Jordan Love and Josh Allen. Smith just retired, but the others are active.

Air Force, BYU, CSU, UNLV, UNM, SDSU, Utah and WYO started the MW in 1999. TCU joined in 2005. BYU and Utah left in 2011. Boise St. joined in 2011. TCU left in 2012. Fresno St., Hawaii and Nevada joined in 2012. San Jose St. and Utah St. joined in 2013.
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                              X