No announcement yet.

2022 College Qb breakdown for the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corral looked good last night. Moved the offense up and down the field pretty much at will.

May have only thrown one touchdown but that was because in the red zone Ole Miss was intent on pounding the rock and rushed for most of their scores.

After week one, I'd rank them:

1. Tied between Ridder and Corral- both played exceptional and lead their team to dominant wins. Both showed they have a really good arm, were accurate, made nice plays running but didn't run too much. Can't wait to see how they do moving forward.

2. Strong- makes some nice throws, pretty good pocket presence, not very mobile though.

3. Rattler- Has the talent, but doesn't get the most out of it. Like I said in an earlier post, he disappeared in the second half and Oklahoma was taken to the wire by Tulane. Honestly, I don't think he's going to be successful in the NFL.

4. Slovis- Very accurate, but for some reason he plays very mediocre more than he should.

Comment

Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post

All of that comes Into account. For me, I played the position and watch/watched a lot of tape. I'm not a GM so I'm not going into all of the measurements you listed lol. For me I look at various things and not just the norm or what Mel Kiper or Todd Mcshay say/claim to be the best QB. When I said I had Matt Corral the highest "so far" some didn't agree or even put him on their list. Stats are ok but not the only determine factor. I feel like you have to WATCH the game bc stats can be misleading. Take comp % drops, throw aways, tipped balls, arm hit as throwing, all does thing cam impact the %....whereas if someone who just looks at stats will see the bottom, which doesn't always tell the full story.
      Agreed. Also, if a QB pads his stats because he's played horribly the first three quarters and his team is losing by 30, and he throws for garbage time yards and touchdowns, that matters too.

Talent and physical traits are all well and good, but I like to watch a quarterback's decision making, his demeanor under pressure, how the other players react to him...the intangibles, if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        For these QB comparisons am guessing you guys scouting them watch as many of them play as possible and take into account the opponent. Which stats are most important? Completion percentage? Yards? Yards per passing attempt? TDs? TD/INT ratio? Sacked? Passer rating? Are all these of equal importance making up some kind of equation? How about mobility and injury history?

Would like to hear from each of the college QB scouts on this and other threads to see where you're coming from. There will probably be a bunch of QBs in the 2022 Draft to rank/sort and some kind of criteria seem helpful for the purpose (not to be confused with porpoise) of discussion.
        I try to focus less on the stats and more of the overall picture when watching the games. I generally only look at stats in the offseason to figure who I think deserves an extended look, then a few highlight tapes to see if it’s worth going deeper into, and then when I do watch the games I try to focus more on the nuance of the position. Is the QB going through progressions, is he looking defenders off, what’s his footwork on his drop back, does he get his feet planted correctly to throw, what’s his throwing motion look like, where’s his elbow at in the throwing motion, does he lead his targets or put it right on them, is he running because no one is open or for another reason, how does his play fake look, what’s the follow through look like when he throws, is there good hip rotation, and a whole host of other things. It generally takes about a 3-5 days just to get through one game for a QB. I’ve spent hours watching one play over and over again just trying answer all my questions and writing down my notes in addition to keeping an arbitrary tally to try and calculate the consistency at which the QB does what he does. My wife hates football season because of this obsession I have lol

As far as scouting QBs goes this is probably going to be the most fun season in awhile because it’s so wide open so there should be plenty of debates with a lot of information being shared.

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post

Agreed. Also, if a QB pads his stats because he's played horribly the first three quarters and his team is losing by 30, and he throws for garbage time yards and touchdowns, that matters too.

Talent and physical traits are all well and good, but I like to watch a quarterback's decision making, his demeanor under pressure, how the other players react to him...the intangibles, if you will.
          I agree with this too. Intangibles is really what separates qbs.
          My boy JUSTIN FIELDS whats up man..."BACK THEN THEY DIDN'TWANT YOU, NOW YOU HOT THEY ALL ON YA." I may know just a "lil" about qbs....but not too much.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

I try to focus less on the stats and more of the overall picture when watching the games. I generally only look at stats in the offseason to figure who I think deserves an extended look, then a few highlight tapes to see if it’s worth going deeper into, and then when I do watch the games I try to focus more on the nuance of the position. Is the QB going through progressions, is he looking defenders off, what’s his footwork on his drop back, does he get his feet planted correctly to throw, what’s his throwing motion look like, where’s his elbow at in the throwing motion, does he lead his targets or put it right on them, is he running because no one is open or for another reason, how does his play fake look, what’s the follow through look like when he throws, is there good hip rotation, and a whole host of other things. It generally takes about a 3-5 days just to get through one game for a QB. I’ve spent hours watching one play over and over again just trying answer all my questions and writing down my notes in addition to keeping an arbitrary tally to try and calculate the consistency at which the QB does what he does. My wife hates football season because of this obsession I have lol

As far as scouting QBs goes this is probably going to be the most fun season in awhile because it’s so wide open so there should be plenty of debates with a lot of information being shared.
            Yes I agree. Now I'm not gonna lie and say I watch one play for hrs lol but I do watch a lot of tape. I can identify some mistakes/flaws pretty quickly. But like beast said we will have a lot of fun and debate this year.
            My boy JUSTIN FIELDS whats up man..."BACK THEN THEY DIDN'TWANT YOU, NOW YOU HOT THEY ALL ON YA." I may know just a "lil" about qbs....but not too much.

Comment

Going back and watching Howell against VA Tech, honestly it isn’t nearly as bad as the stat line shows. He came out and was high on his early passes, he settled as the game went on. The pressure definitely rattled him though as he was quick to start scrambling the majority of the game. There were some dropped passes that hurt his percentage. The first INT, that’s a 50/50 ball to a big WR, he threw it low but the WR lost the wrestling the match for the football. I wouldn’t call it a bad decision but it was poor placement while throwing on the run. Probably would’ve liked to have it high on the outside shoulder so his WR could use his size more. The 2nd INT was batted up at the LoS, those things are going to happen especially for a shorter QB. And the 3rd INT was a horrendous decision but I get why he tried to throw it. Late in the game trying to avoid a sack to keep time from running down, but they had timeouts, just take the sack and burn the timeout, it was 2nd down so they could’ve made it up. Or just make sure the ball goes out of bounds instead of trying to hit the WR.

I also can’t give him credit for the TD either as that was a great play by the WR on a screen pass. All in all though, I’m probably not going to drop him too much right now. That Tech defense looked really good, if they can play like that all season and Howell bounces back then I think he’ll climb back up. You could definitely tell he was missing Dazz Newsome and Dyami Brown as well as Carter and Williams in the backfield. The transfer RB looks explosive but lacks patience so I doubt he can replicate last year’s RBs. The WR that scored looks really good but their other guys need some work. The big WR they got seems soft, not only did he lose the wrestling match on the INT but I believe he also lost a winnable jump ball in the end zone.

If I had to rank them now I’d probably go:
              Ridder
              Corral
              Howell
              Rattler
              Jayden Daniels/Malik Willis

Ridder and Corral are probably going to be neck and neck all season. I give the edge to Ridder right now because he has less talent around him. Rattler stumbled out the gate again, and with that talent I have to knock him for it. 5 could’ve been just Malik Willis but I really like Daniels.

Comment

What do you guys think of Bryce Young ?

Comment

Originally posted by KernCoBroncofan View Post
                  What do you guys think of Bryce Young ?
                  He can be the true. The thing I like most about him his at such a young age the stage doesn't seem to big for him. I want to see a little more SEC games to get a better read.

Comment

He can be the true. The thing I like most about him his at such a young age the stage doesn't seem to big for him. I want to see a little more SEC games to get a better read.
                    Yeah , the kid looks solid. Of course he's not an option for next year but I think Brady Quinn endorsed him a ways back saying how good he's gonna be .

Comment

Yeah , the kid looks solid. Of course he's not an option for next year but I think Brady Quinn endorsed him a ways back saying how good he's gonna be .
                      I know Malik Willis, looking really good.

Comment

Yea we won't in the position to get Bryce when he comes out.

Comment

A rather lackluster day from Ridder against Murray State....

Corral, Howell, Rattler and Willis off to good starts against low level competition....

Slovis and Strong play later tonight.... albeit not against the greatest competition as well (Stanford and Idaho State)

Kind of a "meh" day for me in evaluating these quarterbacks....

But that could be because I'm still furious over a poor performance by Ohio State today....
                          Last edited by sra84; 09-11-2021, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Yea we won't in the position to get Bryce when he comes out.
                            you don't know i still support trading down for more picks in 2023
                            sigpic
                            oakland raders gm
                            latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post
                              A rather lackluster day from Ridder against Murray State....

Corral, Howell, Rattler and Willis off to good starts against low level competition....

Slovis and Strong play later tonight.... albeit not against the greatest competition as well (Stanford and Idaho State)

Kind of a "meh" day for me in evaluating these quarterbacks....

But that could be because I'm still furious over a poor performance by Ohio State today....
                              I feel the same way so far.....meh so far today....let's look for the second half

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

you don't know i still support trading down for more picks in 2023
                                I second that...

Comment

Working...
                                X