Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trevon Diggs vs KJ Hamler

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trevon Diggs vs KJ Hamler

    I took a lot of heat from fellow Bronco fans for wanting to draft Diggs, a CB who was often likened to Aqib Talib, over Hamler, a small WR who had the highest drop rate in FBS football, and who was an injury waiting to happen. Today Diggs was named NFC Defensive Player of the Month, while Hamler is, as usual, injured.....this time out for the rest of the year. Don't get me wrong.....I like Hamler, but I've never believed he'll become what Diggs will, or a number of other players I would rather have drafted. I know, I know...woulda, coulda, shoulda...and it's still early, but it sure isn't looking good. It was a luxury pick we couldn't afford, especially with players like Diggs, CB Jaylon Johnson, and S Jeremy Chinn on the board, who were better players at bigger areas of need. I'll be more than happy if Hamler makes me eat my words, but I'm just ecstatic to have a real GM leading our team now.

  • #2
    It's all hindsight talk now. Your viewpoint was actually quite normal on these boards as many of us were not happy going back-to-back WR with other needs on the roster. Here was my comment shortly after we drafted Hamler.

    Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
    Could have easily been us with Jeudy and Fulton/Diggs/Johnson but go get a WR3/4 when we still need a starting CB and C.
    We also can't directly compare Hamler and Diggs since they obviously play two different positions. In case you forgot, Diggs struggled mightily last year for Dallas and was part of the reason why Cowboys fans were very hurt when we took Surtain right before their pick at 10. Hamler caught a game-winning TD for us last year and balled out against Carolina. If he catches that TD against NYG and doesn't tear his ACL, we could be singing a different tune right now. Injuries are hard to predict and Hamler was relatively durable at Penn State. He seemed to be getting over those hamstring issues that nagged him during his rookie season and the early parts of TC. He did have one of the highest drop rates in college and carried it over in his first season. I guess Fangio/Elway wanted a weapon to really take the top off of a defense and we saw glimpses of that effect. Hamler isn't a bust yet but we'll have to wait a whole year to see how he bounces back.

    Comment


    • #3
      I wouldn’t change the pick even if Hamler never plays another down. Diggs is and will be a good CB for a long time, but if we take him we likely don’t get Ojemudia (who I think will be really good) and Surtain. Those 2 guys are going to solidify our boundary CB spots for a long time.

      Also, when Hamler does come back, he opens up so much for everyone around him just by being on the field. His speed is something that defenses have to account for and have to respect. When he polishes his routes a little more and starts gaining chemistry with our QB he’s going to be a valuable deep threat. He played a big role in Courtland Sutton having a monster game in week 2.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by IncognitoSum View Post
        I took a lot of heat from fellow Bronco fans for wanting to draft Diggs, a CB who was often likened to Aqib Talib, over Hamler, a small WR who had the highest drop rate in FBS football, and who was an injury waiting to happen. Today Diggs was named NFC Defensive Player of the Month, while Hamler is, as usual, injured.....this time out for the rest of the year. Don't get me wrong.....I like Hamler, but I've never believed he'll become what Diggs will, or a number of other players I would rather have drafted. I know, I know...woulda, coulda, shoulda...and it's still early, but it sure isn't looking good. It was a luxury pick we couldn't afford, especially with players like Diggs, CB Jaylon Johnson, and S Jeremy Chinn on the board, who were better players at bigger areas of need. I'll be more than happy if Hamler makes me eat my words, but I'm just ecstatic to have a real GM leading our team now.
        Is it possible picking Hamler was about building around Drew Lock?

        Elway was always pretty good about picking defensive players. It’s the offense where he has struggled.

        It certainly wouldn’t have been unusual or unreasonable to go with an offensive player to help his young quarterback.

        Sometimes I wonder if some of us are stuck in 2015.

        That year was the exception, not the rule.

        For sustained success, the Broncos need the right quarterback and the appropriate offensive talent around him.
        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
        You Mad Bro?
        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by broncolee View Post

          Is it possible picking Hamler was about building around Drew Lock?

          Elway was always pretty good about picking defensive players. It’s the offense where he has struggled.

          It certainly wouldn’t have been unusual or unreasonable to go with an offensive player to help his young quarterback.

          Sometimes I wonder if some of us are stuck in 2015.

          That year was the exception, not the rule.

          For sustained success, the Broncos need the right quarterback and the appropriate offensive talent around him.
          I honestly think that they initially targeted Hamler because they thought they would not have had a chance to get Jeudy, Ruggs or Lamb and Hamler was plan B. Then even after drafting Jeudy, the fact that Hamler was still there and they obviously coveted him as their plan B, they just couldn't help themselves. Just my opinion though...

          Comment


          • #6
            meh i really like Surtain. this is just cause of Diggs int streak. i think Surtains upside is higher. also i think we have nailed these last 2 drafts out of the park.
            sigpic
            oakland raders gm
            latavis murray trade bait

            Comment


            • #7
              Surtain > Diggs

              And also he can shut down the other Diggs (Stefan)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                meh i really like Surtain. this is just cause of Diggs int streak. i think Surtains upside is higher. also i think we have nailed these last 2 drafts out of the park.
                I don't think it was meant that drafting Diggs should have kept us from drafting Surtain. I think it was meant that we could have had both Diggs and Surtain. Of course we still have to see what we have in Ojemudia.

                I admit I didn't like the fact we went WR with our first 2 picks in 2020. Especially a WR who relies mostly on his speed.

                Comment

                Working...
                X