This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BroncoBreeder View Post

Remember the influx of new users in 2012 after Manning came? I think we got a bunch when Tebow was drafted, as well.

I can only imagine what will happen if Rodgers comes to Denver.
    I think that's what happens when a star player moves. Loads of pats fans were glad Tampa won the SB last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoBreeder View Post

My earliest memory of any Packers QB was Lynn Dickey even though I was born in '69. Didn't pay much attention to the Packers before then.
      Bart Starr
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Bart Starr
        Click image for larger version

Name:	EBx9NFyWkAAcjWK.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	8408278

Comment

• Originally posted by PackerNation View Post
          Click image for larger version

Name:	EBx9NFyWkAAcjWK.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	8408278
          Thanks for posting a picture of 3 Packers' QBs. I'll send your site one of Elway, Manning and your choice of Lynch or Tebow.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	EBx9NFyWkAAcjWK.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.6 KB ID:	8408278
            #15 is still better than those other two guys combined. Up until the playoff game between KC and Buffalo on 30 January, Bart Starr held the highest post-season passer rating for fifty-four years. He's in third place now behind Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes, and ahead of Kurt Warner, Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford, Nick Foles, Alex Smith and Drew Brees. Those standings could change depending on the performances of those still active (i.e., Allen, Mahomes, Ryan, Rodgers, Stafford, Foles) IIRC Bart Starr and Vince Lombardi were 9-1 in postseason.

After AFL Commissioner Al Davis beat the NFL into submission and forced them to seek relief from Lamar Hunt at the bargaining table, NFL owners continued to delude themselves thinking their teams were far superior to the AFL. In reality, it was the Packers' superiority at the time, not the league's. Their delusion was shattered in Super Bowls III and IV. On 5 August 1967, after Super Bowl I, the Denver Broncos were the first AFL team to defeat an NFL team. It was an exhibition game played with the Detroit Lions at the old DU Hilltop Stadium. Alex Karras said he'd walk back to Detroit if they lost to the Broncos; hope he had a nice stroll.

Comment

• Great picture of the 3 HoFers.

I realize it is counter to the Broncos best interest but I hope Rodgers chooses to finish his career as a Packer. Just seems appropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Thanks for posting a picture of 3 Packers' QBs. I'll send your site one of Elway, Manning and your choice of Lynch or Tebow.
                Thanks but no thanks on the pic, and I'd go Morton or Plummer for the 3rd best QB in Broncos history. Griese ahead of Lynch or Tebow as well. I know you were joking, but jus sayin'?

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                  Great picture of the 3 HoFers.

I realize it is counter to the Broncos best interest but I hope Rodgers chooses to finish his career as a Packer. Just seems appropriate.
                  I concur, and if you have ever heard Aaron talk about his personal legacy and what it means to him....playing his whole career in Green Bay is the most likely outcome.

Comment

#15 is still better than those other two guys combined. Up until the playoff game between KC and Buffalo on 30 January, Bart Starr held the highest post-season passer rating for fifty-four years. He's in third place now behind Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes, and ahead of Kurt Warner, Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford, Nick Foles, Alex Smith and Drew Brees. Those standings could change depending on the performances of those still active (i.e., Allen, Mahomes, Ryan, Rodgers, Stafford, Foles) IIRC Bart Starr and Vince Lombardi were 9-1 in postseason.

After AFL Commissioner Al Davis beat the NFL into submission and forced them to seek relief from Lamar Hunt at the bargaining table, NFL owners continued to delude themselves thinking their teams were far superior to the AFL. In reality, it was the Packers' superiority at the time, not the league's. Their delusion was shattered in Super Bowls III and IV. On 5 August 1967, after Super Bowl I, the Denver Broncos were the first AFL team to defeat an NFL team. It was an exhibition game played with the Detroit Lions at the old DU Hilltop Stadium. Alex Karras said he'd walk back to Detroit if they lost to the Broncos; hope he had a nice stroll.
                    I might debate you a little on your first statement, because Favre and Rodgers are pretty darn good....but The Packers were legendary in the days of Lombardi, Starr, and all those high quality players on O and D. The names of Hornung, Taylor, Kramer, Gregg, Thurston, Dowler, Nitschke, Davis, Adderley, Jordan, Wood, and many more. I remember so many of them.

Comment

I might debate you a little on your first statement, because Favre and Rodgers are pretty darn good....but The Packers were legendary in the days of Lombardi, Starr, and all those high quality players on O and D. The names of Hornung, Taylor, Kramer, Gregg, Thurston, Dowler, Nitschke, Davis, Adderley, Jordan, Wood, and many more. I remember so many of them.
                      Over the years, from time to time, you have expressed an interest in comparative football statistics. The quarterback position is probably subjected to more statistical analysis than any other position. The game of pro football has changed over time, so what stats transcend those differences more than others? You may recall that, in the past, I have suggested that yards per pass attempt is a good one because it contains within it completion percentage as well as yardage.

In regular season ypa, Bart Starr is tied for tenth spot, so far, with Russell Wilson, Philip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers and Johnny Unitas at 7.8 yards per pass attempt. Brett Favre is tied for 76th with sixteen others (including John Elway) at 7.1 ypa.

When you move to postseason yards per pass attempt, Bart Starr moves up to seventh (tied with two others) at 8.2 ypa. Aaron Rodgers slips a little to seventeenth tied with four others (including John Elway) at 7.6 ypa. Starr always got better in the playoffs which is one reason he was 90% in them. In ypa Rodgers slips in the postseason. Favre improved his ypa in the postseason going from 7.1 to 7.4 ypa.

No question that Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers have been extremely successful as NFL QBs. That said, Bart Starr was a more effective QB than both of them for the Packers. He also called his own plays.

Comment

Over the years, from time to time, you have expressed an interest in comparative football statistics. The quarterback position is probably subjected to more statistical analysis than any other position. The game of pro football has changed over time, so what stats transcend those differences more than others? You may recall that, in the past, I have suggested that yards per pass attempt is a good one because it contains within it completion percentage as well as yardage.

In regular season ypa, Bart Starr is tied for tenth spot, so far, with Russell Wilson, Philip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers and Johnny Unitas at 7.8 yards per pass attempt. Brett Favre is tied for 76th with sixteen others (including John Elway) at 7.1 ypa.

When you move to postseason yards per pass attempt, Bart Starr moves up to seventh (tied with two others) at 8.2 ypa. Aaron Rodgers slips a little to seventeenth tied with four others (including John Elway) at 7.6 ypa. Starr always got better in the playoffs which is one reason he was 90% in them. In ypa Rodgers slips in the postseason. Favre improved his ypa in the postseason going from 7.1 to 7.4 ypa.

No question that Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers have been extremely successful as NFL QBs. That said, Bart Starr was a more effective QB than both of them for the Packers. He also called his own plays.
                        It depends on what you are talking about. The most successful Packers QB of All-Time is Bart Starr with 5 NFL(World)Championships. Also by far the nicest and most classy. Now, if we are talking who is the best overall QB in Packers history? Aaron and Brett are neck and neck. Aaron isn't done yet though...I won't rank those 2 until Aaron's career is complete.

Comment

I am not questioning Starr's "stardom", and your stats are of value. I just meant that no matter who you compared Favre and Rodgers to, I might express that it is hard to expect a player to be better than the combination thereof. It's hard for me to say that 1 HoF QB is better than 2 HoF'ers combined. I was not making a big point of it, because I was more intent on mentioning how great that team was. That's all. But thanks for presenting that data. It's impressive.

Yes, I do use comparative data when it makes sense to do so. In some ways, it is hard to compare legendary QBs from different eras, and if hard pressed I would mention the names of Montana and Brady before Starr. Rodgers would be up there, along with Manning and Elway for sure. But it's good to shed light on Starr, because most folks here never saw him play.

Like I say, my real point of the comment was to salute Starr, Lombardi, and all those other great Packers on that squad.

Comment

I am not questioning Starr's "stardom", and your stats are of value. I just meant that no matter who you compared Favre and Rodgers to, I might express that it is hard to expect a player to be better than the combination thereof. It's hard for me to say that 1 HoF QB is better than 2 HoF'ers combined. I was not making a big point of it, because I was more intent on mentioning how great that team was. That's all. But thanks for presenting that data. It's impressive.

Yes, I do use comparative data when it makes sense to do so. In some ways, it is hard to compare legendary QBs from different eras, and if hard pressed I would mention the names of Montana and Brady before Starr. Rodgers would be up there, along with Manning and Elway for sure. But it's good to shed light on Starr, because most folks here never saw him play.

Like I say, my real point of the comment was to salute Starr, Lombardi, and all those other great Packers on that squad.
                            It's an interesting topic.

Comment

It depends on what you are talking about. The most successful Packers QB of All-Time is Bart Starr with 5 NFL(World)Championships. Also by far the nicest and most classy. Now, if we are talking who is the best overall QB in Packers history? Aaron and Brett are neck and neck. Aaron isn't done yet though...I won't rank those 2 until Aaron's career is complete.
                              The Packers have been blessed at the QB position.

Comment

It's an interesting topic.
                                Yes it is. Believe me Sam, the part about Starr vs Favre and Rodgers was not intended to mean much, other than I might want to discuss it separately. It comes down to how you and I value those players and the position. And it involves different eras. So it might be fun to discuss in greater depth, but maybe not in this thread.

I was not a huge Packers fan way back then, but they were an exceptional team for years. And I am pretty sure you remember the Starr behind Kramer TD over The Cowboys in the "Ice Bowl".

Comment

Working...
                                X