This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Yes it is. Believe me Sam, the part about Starr vs Favre and Rodgers was not intended to mean much, other than I might want to discuss it separately. It comes down to how you and I value those players and the position. And it involves different eras. So it might be fun to discuss in greater depth, but maybe not in this thread.

I was not a huge Packers fan way back then, but they were an exceptional team for years. And I am pretty sure you remember the Starr behind Kramer TD over The Cowboys in the "Ice Bowl".
    Yes. The field was ice and for a straight handoff, the ball carrier couldn't get traction between the meshpont and the hole. So, Starr called TO to let Lombardi know what he was thinking. Vince said something to the effect of, "OK, run it and let's get the hell out of here." QB Dive through the RG hole and Jerry Kramer blocked several. Coldest game in pro football history?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Yes. The field was ice and for a straight handoff, the ball carrier couldn't get traction between the meshpont and the hole. So, Starr called TO to let Lombardi know what he was thinking. Vince said something to the effect of, "OK, run it and let's get the hell out of here." QB Dive through the RG hole and Jerry Kramer blocked several. Coldest game in pro football history?
      I'm thinking it was up here in the great white north. Possibly right here in Winnipeg, for The 1991 Grey Cup. But here's a comp for 3 of the coldest games in football history....

The coldest NFL game without accounting for wind chill was the 1967 NFL Championship game between the Packers and Dallas Cowboys at Green Bay's Lambeau Field on December 31, also known as the Ice Bowl. The temperature was −13°F (−25°C). With windchill (using the new wind chill index) it was −36°F (-37.8°C).

The coldest NFL game WITH accounting for wind chill was the 1981 AFC Championship Game between the San Diego Chargers and the Cincinnati Bengals at Cincinnati's Riverfront Stadium on January 10, also known as the Freezer Bowl. The temperature was -9°F (-23°C). With windchill (using the new wind chill index) it was -37°F (-38.3°C) due to a sustained wind of 27 miles per hour.

*Coldest professional game would include the CFL, so The coldest CFL game was the 1991 Grey Cup. The temperature was -27 degrees Celsius (-17 Fahrenheit) without windchill.

Not proud of the Winnipeg situation, but it was very cold. Regardless, all 3 games were frigid!!!

Comment

I'm thinking it was up here in the great white north. Possibly right here in Winnipeg, for The 1991 Grey Cup. But here's a comp for 3 of the coldest games in football history....

The coldest NFL game without accounting for wind chill was the 1967 NFL Championship game between the Packers and Dallas Cowboys at Green Bay's Lambeau Field on December 31, also known as the Ice Bowl. The temperature was −13°F (−25°C). With windchill (using the new wind chill index) it was −36°F (-37.8°C).

The coldest NFL game WITH accounting for wind chill was the 1981 AFC Championship Game between the San Diego Chargers and the Cincinnati Bengals at Cincinnati's Riverfront Stadium on January 10, also known as the Freezer Bowl. The temperature was -9°F (-23°C). With windchill (using the new wind chill index) it was -37°F (-38.3°C) due to a sustained wind of 27 miles per hour.

*Coldest professional game would include the CFL, so The coldest CFL game was the 1991 Grey Cup. The temperature was -27 degrees Celsius (-17 Fahrenheit) without windchill.

Not proud of the Winnipeg situation, but it was very cold. Regardless, all 3 games were frigid!!!
        The Ice Bowl was the coldest game in "Pro Football" history. It was -48 with the wind. I've heard people call the '81 game in Cincy "The Freezer Bowl" and claim it was -50 with the wind. I do remember that day of the AFC Champ game as a child in Wisconsin. It was indeed cold af.

I don't know much about when "Windchill Index" started to be recorded in Canada.:-) I will though question why the CFL didn't have more grass fields? Seems like every field in Canada is turf. Real football is played on grass.

Aaron Rodgers QB coach is a legend in the CFL. You may have heard of Tom Clements.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	OIP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.9 KB ID:	8408391
        Last edited by PackerNation; 02-20-2022, 03:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by PackerNation View Post

The Ice Bowl was the coldest game in "Pro Football" history. It was -48 with the wind. I've heard people call the '81 game in Cincy "The Freezer Bowl" and claim it was -50 with the wind. I do remember that day of the AFC Champ game as a child in Wisconsin. It was indeed cold af.

I don't know much about when "Windchill Index" started to be recorded in Canada.:-) I will though question why the CFL didn't have more grass fields? Seems like every field in Canada is turf. Real football is played on grass.

Aaron Rodgers QB coach is a legend in the CFL. You may have heard of Tom Clements.
          Click image for larger version Name:	OIP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.9 KB ID:	8408391
          You want to have a discussion and then take a shot at the CFL.......I know all about Tom Clements, but apparently he didn't play real football.

Comment

You want to have a discussion and then take a shot at the CFL.......I know all about Tom Clements, but apparently he didn't play real football.
            Oh, come on.? Saying real football is played on grass is offensive now? Tom would tell you he wishes the CFL fields in Canada had been all natural grass. Turf is hard on the body.

Comment

Oh, come on.? Saying real football is played on grass is offensive now? Tom would tell you he wishes the CFL fields in Canada had been all natural grass. Turf is hard on the body.
              Don't twist things. If you want to talk about Tom Clements, maybe use some tact. And you don't know what Tom would tell anyone, nor Aaron, nor any well known star.

You can get that checked.

Comment

Don't twist things. If you want to talk about Tom Clements, maybe use some tact. And you don't know what Tom would tell anyone, nor Aaron, nor any well known star.

You can get that checked.
                I'm a Joe Kapp guy myself.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Always happy to get Bakh's thoughts on any topic?
                  Green Bay Packers all-pro offensive lineman David Bakhtiari doesn't like that many NFL stadiums have turf fields.

Comment

• CFL - NFL Super Bowl QB
                    Joe Theismann
                    Joe Kapp
                    Vince Ferragamo

Honorable mention: Warren Moon, Jeff Garcia, and Doug Flutie

Arena - NFL Super Bowl QB
                    Kurt Warner

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoBreeder View Post
                      CFL - NFL Super Bowl QB
                      Joe Theismann
                      Joe Kapp
                      Vince Ferragamo

Honorable mention: Warren Moon, Jeff Garcia, and Doug Flutie

Arena - NFL Super Bowl QB
                      Kurt Warner
                      How many of those guys have a Super Bowl Ring and A Grey Cup?

Tom Clements does.?

Comment

Tom Clements does.?
                        Yeah but you can't really call that football in the CFL, with them synthetic fields......probably got the ring from here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	66433-full.png
Views:	47
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	8408509

Comment

Tom Clements does.?
                          Joe Kapp and I think Flutie did with Patriots....Maybe not.

Harald Hasselbach not a QB but was a Bronco.
                          Last edited by BroncoBreeder; 02-20-2022, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Joe Kapp and I think Flutie did with Patriots.

Harald Hasselbach not a QB but was a Bronco.
                            Flutie has no Super Bowl ring. And what year did Kapp win the Super Bowl? News to me he won a Super Bowl.

Comment

Flutie has no Super Bowl ring. And what year did Kapp win the Super Bowl? News to me he won a Super Bowl.
                              The 1969 NFL Championship Game and losing Super Bowl IV

Kapp led the Vikings to a 12–2 record, and a berth in Super Bowl IV after defeating the Los Angeles Rams 23–20 in the Western Conference championship game, and the Cleveland Browns 27–7 in the last NFL Championship game ever played. However, he was unable to lead the team to victory in the Super Bowl, as the Vikings lost 23–7 to the Kansas City Chiefs.

Comment

The 1969 NFL Championship Game and losing Super Bowl IV
                                As I thought, Kapp has no Super Bowl ring.

Comment

Working...
                                X