The REAL answer at QB/HC!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I think the likelihood of Denver hiring a new HC is high. If that happens it's also a high likelihood that he wants "his guy" a QB.....just reality
    True, but who’s to say his guy is available?

They need a coach who has a plan for Drew Lock, in the event he can’t go with plan A.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

True, but who’s to say his guy is available?

They need a coach who has a plan for Drew Lock, in the event he can’t go with plan A.
      Well, how do you entice a good coach? What if he doesn't like Lock? No HC is going to take this job if he's told, Drew has to be a part of your plans. If I'm a HC candidate I'm telling this organization I want full assurance that you'll do what ever and spend what ever I need to get the job done.

There are some good QBs on the trade block and Denver is looking at the number 6 overall pick, potentially. If they can't land a trade for a current player I want a trade up the draft for the drafts best QB. There has to be commitment to get better, or we're no better than the Lions or Jaguars

Comment

Well, how do you entice a good coach? What if he doesn't like Lock? No HC is going to take this job if he's told, Drew has to be a part of your plans. If I'm a HC candidate I'm telling this organization I want full assurance that you'll do what ever and spend what ever I need to get the job done.

There are some good QBs on the trade block and Denver is looking at the number 6 overall pick, potentially. If they can't land a trade for a current player I want a trade up the draft for the drafts best QB. There has to be commitment to get better, or we're no better than the Lions or Jaguars
        Trades require trade partners. If they can’t trade for the guy the new coach wants, they have to have a plan for that.

It’s not really a matter of telling a coach he’s stuck with Lock. It’s finding a coach who walks in the door either wanting Lock or expressing an interest in having a chance to evaluate/develop Lock.

If they can’t land one of the pipe dreams in a trade, what quarterback in the draft is guaranteed to be better than Lock? I would say none of them are.
        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
        You Mad Bro?
        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Trades require trade partners. If they can’t trade for the guy the new coach wants, they have to have a plan for that.

It’s not really a matter of telling a coach he’s stuck with Lock. It’s finding a coach who walks in the door either wanting Lock or expressing an interest in having a chance to evaluate/develop Lock.

If they can’t land one of the pipe dreams in a trade, what quarterback in the draft is guaranteed to be better than Lock? I would say none of them are.
          Better next year? Yeah probably none right out of the gate but long term I would bet Corral has a lot more upside, imo.

Comment

The big difference, to me, with a rookie is that he'll be beginning his career which could be good or bad. We don't know yet. However, lock has proven he's a bad NFL QB. There is zero reasons to hold onto yet another bad QB and think happy thoughts will make him better. It's time to start with a proven, quality vet or start fresh with a rookie (and new staff, of course).

Comment

I agree. We need a Plan A, B, C, D....

And there's also competition to consider. The Giants can start with 2 top 10 picks this year plus Daniel Jones. There's also a half dozen teams drafting ahead of us that will be interested in QBs, which is compounded by it being considered a weak QB class.

The reality is, Lock is the only QB we have under contract for next year and there are no guarantees that another "better" QB will be available at a price we're willing to pay. Like Bill Parcells once said, you can't just call 1-800-Quarterback.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos1963 View Post

The big difference, to me, with a rookie is that he'll be beginning his career which could be good or bad. We don't know yet. However, lock has proven he's a bad NFL QB. There is zero reasons to hold onto yet another bad QB and think happy thoughts will make him better. It's time to start with a proven, quality vet or start fresh with a rookie (and new staff, of course).
                I'm not so sure Lock has proven he's a bad Qb . Locks had 18 games going into this season. I asked in another thread , how long does it take to determine if your rookie Qb is a keeper or not. Well let's just say it's definitely longer then 18 games.

Lock came into this year being told to protect the ball. He looked better in preseason then he did last year . I'm not saying he's going to be our franchise Qb , but I sure ain't gonna say he's proven to be a bad Qb either .

Not enough time , especially with the crap we have coaching these guys . It's amazing that Risner and others on the OL struggled with their play once Shumur came in . Risner had a great rookie season. He's regressed since Shumur.

Comment

Originally posted by KernCoBroncofan View Post

I'm not so sure Lock has proven he's a bad Qb . Locks had 18 games going into this season. I asked in another thread , how long does it take to determine if your rookie Qb is a keeper or not. Well let's just say it's definitely longer then 18 games.

Lock came into this year being told to protect the ball. He looked better in preseason then he did last year . I'm not saying he's going to be our franchise Qb , but I sure ain't gonna say he's proven to be a bad Qb either .

Not enough time , especially with the crap we have coaching these guys . It's amazing that Risner and others on the OL struggled with their play once Shumur came in . Risner had a great rookie season. He's regressed since Shumur.
                  He lead the league in turnovers when he was a fulltime starter. 2 starts this year and he's 0-2 and averaging 13 points a game....against beatable teams. What's going to happen next week when we face KC? He's going to be humiliated

He's also entering year 4, he's not a rookie. Coaches have seen plenty enough through game and practice to know what he is and will continue to be.
                  Last edited by JvDub95; 01-03-2022, 04:21 AM.

Comment

He lead the league in turnovers when he was a fulltime starter. 2 starts this year and he's 0-2 and averaging 13 points a game....against beatable teams. What's going to happen next week when we face KC? He's going to be humiliated

He's also entering year 4, he's not a rookie. Coaches have seen plenty enough through game and practice to know what he is and will continue to be.
                    Not saying he's a rookie. I said he had 18 games under his belt going into this season. Under a terrible coaching staff to boot. Watching him I can see he has talent to play in this league . His issue was trying not to rely on his arm too much , and protecting the ball. We've only seen him play in the pre season games and he's come in here and there for TB and has started the last 2 games.

in those times he had 1 what the heck were you thinking moment . That's it . So from what we all saw last year to the very small sample this year it appears that he's cleaned up his game. Can a player have a terrible year in the NFL and bounce back ? You say no apparently.

How many games should a young Qb get before he's thrown aside ?

Comment

Once we acquire a new HC and OC (because you want to start fresh with folks who can get along and make it work), the QB selection process begins. Any new HC wants to know what he is getting into, especially at that position. They usually want a guy they like in terms of fit and even personality. To the Lock supporters, I am not sure a new coach with aspirations will want him as more than a backup. Since his rookie season, of 5 games, he has not shown much progress. He has taken a larger role of late in 3 straight games, and did not win any of them, nor did he produce much in the way of scoring. Dropped balls, bad play design, covid, do not make you immune to be assessed on what you did (or did not do). Even his demeanor during games may not be appealing to a certain type of coach, or how his teammates respond to him. I could be wrong, but I believe the new guy, along with Paton, will be into rocket speed in terms of assessing who is out there, and who is draftable.

And yes, it's a multiple plan....with priorities in each category. I suggest 1) top level - Rodgers/Wilson types, 2) mid level - good QBs that may be available via trade, but are higher level than the Keenums/Flaccos/Bridgewaters 3) Draft level - including various package proposals to move up if necessary.

The QB situation is the most obvious player issue. Time to resolve it.

Comment

Not a biggee, but odds are we lose on Saturday, which translates to 7 and 10, and possibly a top 10 pick. That's pretty good capital, even if it means we'd have to trade up a little for the QB we may want. It's also good if we want to go trade route. Again, loads of cash and currently 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. We could possibly pick up another pick or two, even if beyond round 3, with trades.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          Once we acquire a new HC and OC (because you want to start fresh with folks who can get along and make it work), the QB selection process begins. Any new HC wants to know what he is getting into, especially at that position. They usually want a guy they like in terms of fit and even personality. To the Lock supporters, I am not sure a new coach with aspirations will want him as more than a backup. Since his rookie season, of 5 games, he has not shown much progress. He has taken a larger role of late in 3 straight games, and did not win any of them, nor did he produce much in the way of scoring. Dropped balls, bad play design, covid, do not make you immune to be assessed on what you did (or did not do). Even his demeanor during games may not be appealing to a certain type of coach, or how his teammates respond to him. I could be wrong, but I believe the new guy, along with Paton, will be into rocket speed in terms of assessing who is out there, and who is draftable.

And yes, it's a multiple plan....with priorities in each category. I suggest 1) top level - Rodgers/Wilson types, 2) mid level - good QBs that may be available via trade, but are higher level than the Keenums/Flaccos/Bridgewaters 3) Draft level - including various package proposals to move up if necessary.

The QB situation is the most obvious player issue. Time to resolve it.
                          I’m sorry but it’s more likely Lock will be made starter than the team moving on.

Comment

Someone to look out for, a young offensive mind and who’s currently the OC for the Cincinnati Bengals.. Brian Callahan. His father who we all know is Bill Callahan, so he has a good coaching pedigree. Brian Callahan was also with the Broncos in 2010-2014/15 coaching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus View Post
                              I’m sorry but it’s more likely Lock will be made starter than the team moving on.
                              You don't have to be sorry.....

But are we "backup" to this again?

Last edited by CanDB; 01-03-2022, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus View Post
                                Someone to look out for, a young offensive mind and who’s currently the OC for the Cincinnati Bengals.. Brian Callahan. His father who we all know is Bill Callahan, so he has a good coaching pedigree. Brian Callahan was also with the Broncos in 2010-2014/15 coaching staff.
                                Zac Taylor got the HC job because he had a cup of coffee with Sean McVay. I would be suspicious of any coordinator that works for an offensive head coach. How much of any success is actually because the guy with the OC title knows what he’s doing?
                                You Mad Bro?
                                Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Working...
                                X