One Can Dream....McCaffrey Might be Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Can Dream....McCaffrey Might be Available

Should the Broncos make an offer for Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey? (msn.com)

The Panthers are willing to “listen to offers” for the 25-year-old running back, according to The Athletic‘s Joseph Person

OK....before you throw eggs or tomatoes, or something else that is tasty in case I'm hungry......I know it is financially unwise to trade for McC and pay his salary. And yes, the injuries are concerning.

But what a dream situation....the amazingly talented son of a Broncos' hero, who when healthy is in the MVP discussion each year.

Please don't wake me just yet. I've got a snooze feature.

Ok....here's a loaded one. Would you even consider trading Williams as part of the deal?? (Ooops, still dreaming. Not my fault. If it was I would stop having those stupid "failing exam dreams"!!!)

Hey gang, just havin some fun.

If there was no salary cap and cost to trade... I'd love to have him, of course.

Can you imagine a backfield with him and Javonte? My goodness.... that's just flat out unfair.

Heck, bring back Jano and we'll start going with some 3 RB sets. Look out.
    Thanks, Reid!
    sigpic
    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

I live in Charlotte and watch every Panthers game.

Absolutely not , he cannot stay healthy. In the games he did play this year he looked like he lost a step or two.

Comment

If the Panthers are willing to deal him that might say something about where he is physically. Look pre-injury issues he was as dynamic an offensive weapon as you could find. But at this point what Carolina would want plus considering his cap cost and I would say we're probably better off looking to the draft to find Javonte a partner in the backfield.

Obviously it would be cool because of the family ties and what he could bring but I just don't think he would fit in the jigsaw for us.
        A book I wrote

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          Should the Broncos make an offer for Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey? (msn.com)

The Panthers are willing to “listen to offers” for the 25-year-old running back, according to The Athletic‘s Joseph Person

OK....before you throw eggs or tomatoes, or something else that is tasty in case I'm hungry......I know it is financially unwise to trade for McC and pay his salary. And yes, the injuries are concerning.

But what a dream situation....the amazingly talented son of a Broncos' hero, who when healthy is in the MVP discussion each year.

Please don't wake me just yet. I've got a snooze feature.

Ok....here's a loaded one. Would you even consider trading Williams as part of the deal?? (Ooops, still dreaming. Not my fault. If it was I would stop having those stupid "failing exam dreams"!!!)

Hey gang, just havin some fun.
          Seems the Broncos dreams usually turn into nightmares.
          Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by Skylan View Post
            I live in Charlotte and watch every Panthers game.

Absolutely not , he cannot stay healthy. In the games he did play this year he looked like he lost a step or two.
            I respect your knowledge, as I do not watch him play every week.

For fun though, I compared and projected his 2021 stats to those of 2018, the year before he had one of the most dynamic seasons of any RB. 2018 was his second season, so his performance was also very good.

Overall, if we projected 16 versus the 7 games he played, 2018 would still be better, but, not that much better. In fact, he would have had more rushes, less fumbles, a better yard per reception average this year and a better yards per touch as well. Not much of a decline overall, though just a projection. Less "targets" for sure, but more efficiency in receiving the ball. Yards per carry was down as well, from 5.0 to 4.5, but nothing dramatic.

Again, you see more, and the stats have declined a little, and definitely more so comparing to 2019, but that was a phenom year. Plus I am not sure Carolina was effective offensively to enable him to do much better in '21.

Comment

A committee approach is probably ideal for McCaffrey, because ever since he bulked up and got into the bell cow workload range he's been permanently injured. Ideally, he should get back to his more natural playing weight, and split reps. The problem is his contract is radioactive. People have finally talked me out of the heavy cap investment at RB. I'm finally on board with not paying RBs. There are some RBs who are worth a significant sum more than most, but the shelf life is a DQ for me. I've seen too many elite RBs fall off the grid from one year to the next. Derrick Henry is very rare, and even he eventually got hurt. Is he breaking down? That is yet to be seen, but his case alone cannot justify the cap investment with another back. Just look at the list of guys who fell or are falling off a cliff: Zeke Elliott, McCaffrey, Gurley, Chris Carson, LeVeon, David Johnson, Freeman, and you could speculate about Aaron Jones. I wouldn't be surprised if Jones has one or two massive games in the post season though.

I won't put Fournette on there, because I think it was more about the Jaguars. I think that's somewhat obvious at this point. To be fair, he admittedly wasn't taking very good care of himself in JAC, and he's always been a little injury prone. Freeman has shown that some of it was about injuries, and he had a bit of a resurgence albeit in a great RB offense. None the less, the guy could not stay healthy later in his ATL days, and he was trash for one season in NY. McCaffrey's case resembles Freeman's, but I don't think the conditions before injury in McCaffrey's case are a coincidence. McCaffrey is still young, and unless he's dealing with something long term, career altering, he should have plenty of football ahead of him. I just don't think his body can handle the weight and work he's taken on in Carolina.

Comment

Not only no, but I don't even agree with drafting a RB high. I'm biased against putting a premium value on the position. As Good as Javonte Williams is I still would have rather drafted one of the very many OT's that were available to us at our natural pick instead. So don't go chasing Running Backs. Stick to the Guards and the Tackles that you're used to. I know that you want to do it your way or not at all, but RB's don't last.

Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

That ship has sailed. I would not trade for him.

Broncos are in great shape at RB with Williams. Young man can play. With the right OC and playcalling he can be a 1000+ yard rusher and in the conversation of best RBs in the League.

Will be interesting to see how Paton approaches the “ committee” idea though. Bring back Gordon or another similar vet? Or my preferred strategy of using a one of the 3rds on another quality RB to provide a solid 1-2 punch.

Young hard running legs on inexpensive contracts. There are a few intriguing ones in that range.

Comment

I do tend to agree with those who wait on a back in the draft. That is my MO as well, given the evidence that good backs are found almost every year beyond the first couple of rounds. Even some undrafted. McCaffrey is so good, and because of the connection, I thought it would be worthy of some discussion.

Comment

As much as i like him, this draft is loaded with running back talent throught the rounds.
                      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

I would go into next season looking to have J. Williams as the Lead Back. With Mike Boone in 2nd and Draft Cook out of UGA. Now That would be EPIC !!!!

Comment

Sorry the thread was accidentally closed. I blame glitches in the system.

I really wanted McCaffrey. I thought they over-used him early and that injuries would be a concern. Hopefully it doean't shorten his career.
                          Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

I play along, because I think Can is mostly just trying to play with a dream. Ya know? Suspend reality for a second.
                            So we're aware he has an injury problem Well let's say Denver uses that to their advantage and the price for the trade is low. Like a 3rd this year and 4th next year. Now we have CMac.
                            Who'd be splitting carries with Williams lowering his injury chances.

Let's say that lowering of chances leads to CMac being healthy all year bc now he isn't a workhorse back.
                            sigpic
                            Adopted Broncos:
                            EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
                              I play along, because I think Can is mostly just trying to play with a dream. Ya know? Suspend reality for a second.
                              So we're aware he has an injury problem Well let's say Denver uses that to their advantage and the price for the trade is low. Like a 3rd this year and 4th next year. Now we have CMac.
                              Who'd be splitting carries with Williams lowering his injury chances.

Let's say that lowering of chances leads to CMac being healthy all year bc now he isn't a workhorse back.
                              Thanks for "playing along" IB. Hey, talk is cheap, and I come extremely cheap!!

If we had a backfield of McC and Williams we may not need a high level QB......haha. Dink and dunk!

Actually, the only way we get McC in my opinion, is by giving them Williams, because otherwise we got too much backfield for the money. And Williams might seriously soften their trade demands. A case could be made that Williams has a better future, and as early as '22.

Again, the family ties and the skillset sure make him a nice "dream" for me. Hey, I apparently have dreams, pipedreams, and so forth. Weird because I seem to have a lot of nightmares too!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X