HD's SB Weekend Mock Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD's SB Weekend Mock Offseason

TL;DR – We continue building out the roster while getting younger across the board. Drew Lock is given one last chance after putting up decent tape and zero interceptions during his final three starts in 2021. We don’t take a massive risk on a rookie QB in this unrefined draft class and we don’t give up three years’ worth of high draft picks for an older, star veteran with baggage. Sink or swim in 2022 with better personnel on both sides of the ball, then go all-in on a QB we like in 2023.

FREE AGENCY

CAP SPACE: $38.8M

RE-SIGN:

LB Jonas Griffith – ERFA tender ($825k)
    QB Brett Rypien – ERFA tender ($895k)
    OT Calvin Anderson – original round RFA tender ($2.4M)
    LB Kenny Young – 3 years, $13.5M

CUT:

DL Mike Purcell – (post June 1st, saves $3.5M)

SIGN:

QB Tyrod Taylor – 2 years, $10M

Adding a veteran QB with experience and the skill-set for a west coast offense would benefit this young team. Taylor has been a “bridge” QB and mentor for the likes of Baker Mayfield, Justin Herbert, and Davis Mills. Securing the 32-year-old journeyman for two years gives Denver sufficient stability to ride out Lock’s final year of his contract and possibly draft a first round QB in 2023.

TE Jesse James – 2 years, $5M
    James would be no more than a TE3, but could see the field fairly often due to his strong blocking ability (especially in an offense that emphasizes outside zone). With Noah Fant and Albert Okwuegbunam struggling with injuries during their young careers, James provides solid depth and is a serviceable receiver if thrusted into game action.

- - - - -

DRAFT

1 (9) – David Ojabo, EDGE, Michigan
    Denver desperately needs an injection of explosive talent at the EDGE position. Ojabo brings all-world athleticism and pass-rush prowess that is reminiscent of a young Von Miller. Ojabo, a one-year breakout star with 11 sacks for the Wolverines in 2021, is fairly raw as a prospect but has all the tools to develop into something special at the next level. A healthy Bradley Chubb and a mismatch specimen in Ojabo could terrorize AFC QBs for years.

2 (40) – Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington
    With aging veterans Kyle Fuller and Bryce Callahan leaving in free agency, Denver continues the youth movement at cornerback with the addition of Gordon with their first of two second round picks. The 2021 All-Pac-12 First Team selection has the versatility and fearless attitude to play both inside and outside. Gordon will have the opportunity to start in the slot right away, but could also slide outside if the injury-prone Ronald Darby misses any time.

2 (64) – Max Mitchell, OT, Louisiana
    Which position has Denver been struggling with longer than QB? You got it… right tackle. GM George Paton has made it known that he wants to find a long-term solution at RT. Mitchell has the fluidity, length, and aggression to thrive in a zone-blocking scheme—but does need to get stronger and fill out his frame at the pro level.

3 (75) – Dameon Pierce, RB, Florida
    New head coach Nathaniel Hackett fully intends on running the ball and breaking down our opponents. Pierce, a tough runner with a low center of gravity, brings more thunder to what is already a physically-punishing backfield. He brings solid vision and burst for an outside-zone scheme.

3 (96) – Dohnovan West, C, Arizona State
    Lloyd Cushenberry improved from being one of the worst centers in the NFL to performing as a replacement-level starter last season. With the amount of interior pressure that our QBs faced, however, competition is welcomed. West will push for the starting job with his smooth feet and intelligence.

4 (113) – Neil Farrell Jr., DL, LSU
    Denver sorely needed a run-stopping presence upfront last year. Farrell can start at nose tackle immediately at 6’4”, 325 lbs. He has the strength, length, and discipline to disrupt running lanes and prevent opposing runners from breaking into the second level.

5 (144) – Damone Clark, LB, LSU
    Despite retaining Kenny Young and Jonas Griffith, competent depth is needed at inside linebacker. Last year, injuries exposed just how bad and soft our reserve LBs were. Clark is a plus-run defender and violent tackler, with enough speed and instincts to not be a total liability in the open field.

5 (151) – Braxton Jones, OT, Southern Utah
    Another road-grader is added to the trenches with the selection of Jones. Like Mitchell, Jones comes from a zone-based run scheme and knows how to use his length and nastiness. The 2021 first-team FCS All-American would provide good depth at tackle and could push for the RT job if Mitchell struggles.

7 (248) – Markquese Bell, S, Florida A&M
    As Caden Sterns prepares to inherit the starting safety spot from the aging free agent veteran Kareem Jackson, depth and special teams talent is needed. Bell flies around the field and is unafraid to close downhill and make a stop.

DEPTH CHART

QB – Lock, Taylor, Rypien
    RB – Williams, Boone, Pierce
    WR – Sutton, Jeudy, Patrick, Hamler, Hinton, Williams
    TE – Fant, Okwuegbunam, James
    OT – Bolles, Mitchell, Anderson, Jones
    OG – Risner, Glasgow, Meinerz, Muti
    C – Cushenberry, West

DL – Harris, Jones, Farrell (NT), Agim, Spencer
    EDGE – Chubb, Ojabo, Reed, Cooper, Mintze
    LB – Browning, Young, Griffith, Clark
    CB – Surtain, Darby, Gordon (NCB), Ojemudia, Bassey
    S – Simmons, Sterns, Johnson, Bell

K – McManus
    P – Martin
    LS – Bobenmoyer
    Last edited by HDbroncos02; 02-11-2022, 11:37 PM.

Very well done HD- Taylor would not inspire a lot of fan confidence, but makes a lot of sense if we were to play out Locks contract. Resigning Young should be a high priority (I hope).

I keep seeing Ojabo being mocked to us and he is an intriguing prospect. In a passing league- and division- he could be a really valuable piece to add.

Comment

Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
      Very well done HD- Taylor would not inspire a lot of fan confidence, but makes a lot of sense if we were to play out Locks contract. Resigning Young should be a high priority (I hope).

I keep seeing Ojabo being mocked to us and he is an intriguing prospect. In a passing league- and division- he could be a really valuable piece to add.
      I appreciate it!

Signing Taylor would probably be even more whelming than the trade for Teddy last season, especially considering how we find ourselves at the center of the QB rumors again. But yeah, the idea is that he’d be signed to be a backup for this upcoming season and then a serviceable starter when we eventually a draft a rookie.

We can go many ways at LB this offseason. I could see us realistically bringing back 1-2 of Young, Johnson, Jewell, or Griffith. Since Griffith is so cheap I assume he will be back, so it’s just a question about who we like the most out of the veterans.

I think Ojabo’s stock is going to rise even more than it already has with the Combine and Pro Days coming up. I think he can set some insane numbers. I think he will end up being available at 9, the only question to me would be his play strength against the run and ability to set the edge— but someone with his tools should be able to develop in that area.

Any PSU guys you could see Denver being interested in this year?

Comment

I do like the players you took in the draft. I'd be fine with Ojabo if everything prior to the draft were to play out that way. My only thing is, if it did play out that way, NT would become a priority for me. Travis Jones would move up my board considerably, and I'd be willing to wait and see if Pierce fell or target a later back like Abram Smith to make that happen. I really like many of the players you took though, so I'm digging that draft regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
          I do like the players you took in the draft. I'd be fine with Ojabo if everything prior to the draft were to play out that way. My only thing is, if it did play out that way, NT would become a priority for me. Travis Jones would move up my board considerably, and I'd be willing to wait and see if Pierce fell or target a later back like Abram Smith to make that happen. I really like many of the players you took though, so I'm digging that draft regardless.
          Thanks Spice!

Travis Jones had a terrific Senior Bowl. I think he’s in that late 1st/early 2nd range. I don’t think NT in a vacuum should be a priority (a two-down situational run stuffer shouldn’t be taken any earlier than the 3rd round IMO), but Jones has the versatility and skill to wreak havoc as a NT or 3T DL. If Fangio was still here, I’d dare say his version of Akiem Hicks. With Evero slated to adopt a similar base defense, I could see it happening.

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
            Thanks Spice!

Travis Jones had a terrific Senior Bowl. I think he’s in that late 1st/early 2nd range. I don’t think NT in a vacuum should be a priority (a two-down situational run stuffer shouldn’t be taken any earlier than the 3rd round IMO), but Jones has the versatility and skill to wreak havoc as a NT or 3T DL. If Fangio was still here, I’d dare say his version of Akiem Hicks. With Evero slated to adopt a similar base defense, I could see it happening.
            I think you're right about where he'll wind up going. And again, it's not a marquee position. Look at Dallas and Chicago last year. Where they got Bohanna and Tonga respectively. Not saying those guys are Jones, but they both had an impact this year in the games I watched. You might be right. I sometimes fall in love with certain players, and I try not to get walleye vision. It hurts me bad to pass on Jalen Pitre in mocks right now as well.

I just did a quick no trade mock draft based on your mock offseason, and NOBODY fell. Ojabo and Stingley were both gone. I ended up taking Ekwonu. What would you do in that situation, trade back probably? I did get Ebiketie at 41 though.

Comment

I appreciate it!

Signing Taylor would probably be even more whelming than the trade for Teddy last season, especially considering how we find ourselves at the center of the QB rumors again. But yeah, the idea is that he’d be signed to be a backup for this upcoming season and then a serviceable starter when we eventually a draft a rookie.

We can go many ways at LB this offseason. I could see us realistically bringing back 1-2 of Young, Johnson, Jewell, or Griffith. Since Griffith is so cheap I assume he will be back, so it’s just a question about who we like the most out of the veterans.

I think Ojabo’s stock is going to rise even more than it already has with the Combine and Pro Days coming up. I think he can set some insane numbers. I think he will end up being available at 9, the only question to me would be his play strength against the run and ability to set the edge— but someone with his tools should be able to develop in that area.

Any PSU guys you could see Denver being interested in this year?
              It really is a well done mock- taking into consideration real factors like depth, salary cap and current contracts.
              ​​​​
              PSU has 8 players going to the combine and a few I feel definitely should be on our radar for day 2....namely Ebiketie, Smith and Walker. DE, LB, OL- all positions of need. I wouldn't rule out the prospects of targeting P/K Jordan Stout either. Sam Martin is due 2.5 million in the final year of his contract and has a small 450k dead cap hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post

I think you're right about where he'll wind up going. And again, it's not a marquee position. Look at Dallas and Chicago last year. Where they got Bohanna and Tonga respectively. Not saying those guys are Jones, but they both had an impact this year in the games I watched. You might be right. I sometimes fall in love with certain players, and I try not to get walleye vision. It hurts me bad to pass on Jalen Pitre in mocks right now as well.

I just did a quick no trade mock draft based on your mock offseason, and NOBODY fell. Ojabo and Stingley were both gone. I ended up taking Ekwonu. What would you do in that situation, trade back probably? I did get Ebiketie at 41 though.
                Agree with you there, plus it only occurred to me this week that DL might be a bigger need than we think. In a vacuum, I could only really seeing NT being a need because Purcell was a massive bust following his extension last season with injuries and just not being as stout as he was the past two years. But someone reminded me that Dre’Mont Jones is entering his last year of his rookie deal (I think we bring him back, but you never know) and Shelby Harris, while “underrated” and a ball-batting maestro— he just isn’t a dominant enforcer as an interior pass rush threat and he is not a strong run defender. So bringing in someone like Travis Jones would bolster the overall talent we have at DL and he has the scheme/alignment diversity to play all 3 downs and would not be a liability in any situation.

I’m a big fan of OT or EDGE in the 1st round this year if we don’t go QB. If Ekonwu is available at 9, I’d run to the podium with his name on the card. I think he’s the clear OT2 in this class. I could see Ojabo being gone because he will destroy the Combine and Pro Day. Ebiketie is definitely a solid get in the 2nd round and I’m sure atwaterandstir could vouch for him . As long as we grab both OT and EDGE within the first two rounds, I’ll be happy with that. Of course, there may be FA targets we like— but the OT market is pretty bare and EDGE always ends up with top guys getting bloated contracts.

Comment

I like it, but I can’t see the Broncos going into the season with Lock as the starter. I do like T-Mobile, though.

This new regime has no ties to Lock, and in all the pressers it’s not like they’re going to say, “yeah, Drew Lock stinks.” It’s as clear as day this team needs a QB, and 2022 would be another lost season if we rolled with Lock. Just my $0.02.
                  2016 Adopt-A-Bronco: CB-Chris Harris Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosk View Post
                    I like it, but I can’t see the Broncos going into the season with Lock as the starter. I do like T-Mobile, though.

This new regime has no ties to Lock, and in all the pressers it’s not like they’re going to say, “yeah, Drew Lock stinks.” It’s as clear as day this team needs a QB, and 2022 would be another lost season if we rolled with Lock. Just my $0.02.
                    I’m right there with you. QB is the #1 need. I’m not even that high on Lock either, but I think with the roster construction as it is— with lots of young players at every position and older vets set to leave in FA this offseason, one more lost season may be necessary.

I think it comes down to philosophy and evaluation.

Do we make a push to win now? Rodgers nor Wilson have been publicly made available but it looks like it’s trending that way. A Super Bowl win is no guarantee, but we could be in legitimate contention if we trade a ton of picks and possibly some young talent for one of those QBs.

Do we opt for this year’s draft? I know I mentioned taking one this year would be a “massive risk” but I suppose it’s like that every year. Right now, I’d only be comfortable taking Willis, Pickett, Corral, or Howell over rolling out Lock for another season. Then it comes down to current ability vs. potential upside. Is Lock, entering his 4th year with NFL coaching, better for us in 2022 than a rookie? Usually I would say no (especially last year) but this class is that polarizing. Do we like the upside of a rookie from this class more than the current abilities of Lock or possibly someone in 2023? Lots to account for, but ultimately comes down to preference.

I think about the Baltimore Ravens when making a mock offseason like this. They were a team that replaced older vets over the years by building young talent through the draft. They did a good job of building a fairly complete roster (took Ronnie Stanley in 2016 and Marlon Humphrey in 2017) and still had Joe Flacco in place when they traded back into the 1st round and took Lamar Jackson in 2018. Of course, many execs didn’t think Jackson would turn into an MVP type player, let alone good QB— which is why he slid that far… but they made sure they had strong personnel in place on both sides of the ball first and plopped their gifted, young QB into a friendly system when the time was right.

Comment

Great stuff HD. I think we might be a tad more active in FA, but I love the idea of signing T.Taylor and letting them ride it out to draft a QB next year. Your draft, you addressed every position we need. Really love the Dameon Pierce pick. He is one of my favorite RBs in this class. And the fact you addressed CB in the second....I have a sneaky suspicion that we will draft a CB in the 1st or 2nd this year also.

Well done bud.
                      New England Patriots GM

Comment

hi 6 win team. having lock/taylor as our QB plan with out doing any thing else at all to add young talent is a terrible mistake. we haven't had a QB sense manning and this just continues it. with no real future plans for it. we take a step backwards under a new staff with a new scheme.

also alot of teh run stopping issues was when Purcell was injuried he is injuried to much to be a constants

in a 4-3 i think Reed ends up more as a SLB then a Edge.

prospect don't see bad i am not sure edge is the play. this draft is loaded in the edge class. there may be as good options in the second.
                        Last edited by Kyousukeneko; 02-12-2022, 08:31 PM.
                        sigpic
                        oakland raders gm
                        latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                          hi 6 win team. having lock/taylor as our QB plan with out doing any thing else at all to add young talent is a terrible mistake. we haven't had a QB sense manning and this just continues it. with no real future plans for it. we take a step backwards under a new staff with a new scheme.

also alot of teh run stopping issues was when Purcell was injuried he is injuried to much to be a constants

in a 4-3 i think Reed ends up more as a SLB then a Edge.

prospect don't see bad i am not sure edge is the play. this draft is loaded in the edge class. there may be as good options in the second.
                          If that terrible mistake leads us to a top 5 pick next season with a good shot at Young, Stroud, or any other talented passer— then it might not be so terrible. Of course, I can’t project what happens in college football next season so I can’t rely on the 2023 class to save our franchise— but I have a better feeling about the caliber of QB prospects that will be available next year instead of this current crop.

I’m not opposed to adding young talent this year whether it be Willis, Corral, or Pickett— but I just don’t love them enough personally.

I know my mock offseason is a step backwards at QB, but in my mind it’s a necessary step. I outlined why in my TL;DR and reply to Mosk.

Purcell has been hurt and just simply not good. Hence why I want to cut him and draft a replacement.

I don’t see us shifting to a 4-3 under Evero, I think we will keep a very similar base defense. But in any case, there very well could be some personnel shuffles if we switch schemes.

Comment

If that terrible mistake leads us to a top 5 pick next season with a good shot at Young, Stroud, or any other talented passer— then it might not be so terrible. Of course, I can’t project what happens in college football next season so I can’t rely on the 2023 class to save our franchise— but I have a better feeling about the caliber of QB prospects that will be available next year instead of this current crop.

I’m not opposed to adding young talent this year whether it be Willis, Corral, or Pickett— but I just don’t love them enough personally.

I know my mock offseason is a step backwards at QB, but in my mind it’s a necessary step. I outlined why in my TL;DR and reply to Mosk.

Purcell has been hurt and just simply not good. Hence why I want to cut him and draft a replacement.

I don’t see us shifting to a 4-3 under Evero, I think we will keep a very similar base defense. But in any case, there very well could be some personnel shuffles if we switch schemes.
                            I dont think a rookie will help much. Just due to the physical difference of the nfl anf college. I feel wr need to do something at qb to add more yoing passers to the mix
                            sigpic
                            oakland raders gm
                            latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Working...
                            X