Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sauce anyone?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sauce anyone?

    I am very well aware that we picked Pat Surtain in the 1st round last year, and I love that we did, but I’m proposing picking Sauce Gardner at #9 this year as well. Indulge me: Rogers and Wilson stay put. None of the draftable QB’s excite Paton at #9. And let’s say the Colts release Wentz to get out of his 28M contract for next year (or even if we sign Mariota) and pair him with Lock for a year. One of them shows some growth with our new playcallers/offense.
    Regardless, you save the 45M and all the players and picks you’d be giving up for Rental Rodgers for 2 years. Put that cash towards front 7 players such as chandler jones, Von, or Landry, and some DL/OL. Here’s where the Gardner pick comes in – at #9 there’s a decent chance that the BPA may be Sauce. I’d be thrilled if it was. Pair Surtain with Sauce and we are set the way Hanford Dixon and Frank Minnifield used to lock down opposing receivers. I realize they are both similar corners in that they are longer and potential criticism is shifty receivers may give them trouble once in a blue moon, but they are both special. Having 2 stud corners and moving Darby to nickel, cut Fuller, and have OJmudia and a re-signed Callahan as part of your your stunning cornerback collection. We have a couple of decent qbs we face in our division. so it may be a good thing to have incredible db's.
    The passrush will be improved since we have money to spend in free agency thanks to a cheap QB situation and will be THE focus of FA. We’ll get plenty of turnovers with pressure and incredible DB play (Simmons/Sterns also!),The QB situation is almost certainly improved, and most likely improved significantly (but granted not with a hall of famer). And we still have all the rest of our picks we didn’t trade on a qb. I know as well as anyone else that we are all sick of not having a top tier qb, especially in our division, but this way we may have a slightly weaker qb situation but as a team as a whole, we might be the strongest in the afc west. Football is the ultimate TEAM game. And besides, Hackett should be able to up our points/game with a good, not great qb so potentially Lock, Wentz, or Mariota just might do the trick. Ponder amongst yourselves.

  • #2
    Originally posted by smilin'assassin View Post
    I am very well aware that we picked Pat Surtain in the 1st round last year, and I love that we did, but I’m proposing picking Sauce Gardner at #9 this year as well. Indulge me: Rogers and Wilson stay put. None of the draftable QB’s excite Paton at #9. And let’s say the Colts release Wentz to get out of his 28M contract for next year (or even if we sign Mariota) and pair him with Lock for a year. One of them shows some growth with our new playcallers/offense.
    Regardless, you save the 45M and all the players and picks you’d be giving up for Rental Rodgers for 2 years. Put that cash towards front 7 players such as chandler jones, Von, or Landry, and some DL/OL. Here’s where the Gardner pick comes in – at #9 there’s a decent chance that the BPA may be Sauce. I’d be thrilled if it was. Pair Surtain with Sauce and we are set the way Hanford Dixon and Frank Minnifield used to lock down opposing receivers. I realize they are both similar corners in that they are longer and potential criticism is shifty receivers may give them trouble once in a blue moon, but they are both special. Having 2 stud corners and moving Darby to nickel, cut Fuller, and have OJmudia and a re-signed Callahan as part of your your stunning cornerback collection. We have a couple of decent qbs we face in our division. so it may be a good thing to have incredible db's.
    The passrush will be improved since we have money to spend in free agency thanks to a cheap QB situation and will be THE focus of FA. We’ll get plenty of turnovers with pressure and incredible DB play (Simmons/Sterns also!),The QB situation is almost certainly improved, and most likely improved significantly (but granted not with a hall of famer). And we still have all the rest of our picks we didn’t trade on a qb. I know as well as anyone else that we are all sick of not having a top tier qb, especially in our division, but this way we may have a slightly weaker qb situation but as a team as a whole, we might be the strongest in the afc west. Football is the ultimate TEAM game. And besides, Hackett should be able to up our points/game with a good, not great qb so potentially Lock, Wentz, or Mariota just might do the trick. Ponder amongst yourselves.
    Don't like it...yes Surtain had good year but that doesn't mean it's a done deal and he is a shutdown corner for the next 8 years. Also just bc we draft Gardner does mean he will be one either ...now they both could...but I don't know a team with 2 true shutdown CBS.

    Whats with people thinking they know what Paton will do and who he likes. So to say paton/Hackett does lole any of these qbs is crazy. I know the common theme around here iss that this is a weak qb draft...but it just take on qb for them to fall in love with.

    Then Wentz, so you want a qb that has failed with 2 teams even with the coach that helped him win the superbowl? Or Mariota who has not started a game in like 3 years to be our starting qb?

    I guess!
    Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm down for it. CB and DL are two huge positions of need. Best Player Available > Position of Need. Of course both have to be weighed and calculated, but BPA should be priority. I'm a fan of Sauce, I prefer Stingley, but I have no problem at all going CB in early first again. At this EARLY point in draft evaluation, I'm still in favor of trading down to middle or late first to accumulate capital...but I can get on board with Sauce at 9.
      New England Patriots GM

      Comment


      • #4
        It's fun to speculate all these different players being a "Bronco", and what they would bring to the team. I don't need to throw my negative or positive take on picking Sauce.....I think it would be a nice scenario having these two on the field together regardless of who we should have taken or who else might have brought a better aspect of football to the team. Great post smilin'assassin !!
        Last edited by skeeter01; 02-17-2022, 04:34 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Sauce is a cold-blooded shutdown guy. Definitely would be nice to pair him with PS2 and have the CB position set for years.

          Here’s the problem. And this applies to Stingley too.

          Darby is a true outside corner. He has never played in the slot. We pay him over $10M/year to play outside, let alone be a backup at that spot. Plus he was solid last year, but one could make the case that his durability is a big issue. If we re-sign Callahan, he’s our nickel CB and probably not going to want to serve as a “depth” player at this point in his career.

          Callahan is over 30 and we do not have a starter-level replacement on the roster that is a natural slot corner. If anything, I want to target a versatile CB on Day 2 that is a real gamer in the slot or has shown the ability to play outside. With that being said, going CB especially in Round 1 is just not good roster construction IMO. We have pressing needs at QB, RT, EDGE, and even LB (depending on what we do in FA). I just don’t see the value in adding another 1st round CB this year.

          Comment


          • #6
            Don’t hate the idea. At this point we have absolutely no clue as to the direction the Broncos are going to take in trades, draft or free agency. Until we see what Paton is planning and the dominoes start dropping it is impossible to predict.

            Personally, I prefer the concept of keeping the draft and cap assets and build the team approach. Gardner I could very well be the BPA at #9. But so could a couple other defenders, an OT or even a QB.

            Broncos need impact players. They need depth and stability. They need a QB. They have a lot of needs but they also have the picks, cap, new coaching staff and a new GM that seems to be pretty good at his job so far.

            Going to be a fun ride seeing how the recent youth and enthusiasm in the coaching hires matches the youth on the field. Buy in is important. Broncos are in a prime position to re-shape the roster and expectations.

            A secondary with two lockdown CBs ( on rookie contracts) and Simmons is a solid starting point. As good a plan as any.

            Comment


            • #7
              Sauce would be the Premier Pick. 2 CB's that can shut down the entire field. Very Interesting !!

              Comment


              • #8
                Well we just claimed essang bassey off waivers. Darby was okay last year. I wouldnt have any issue drafting multiple cb.

                gardner
                Tariq woolen (cb/s hybrid)
                marcus jones
                Glen Haven Fire

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post

                  Don't like it...yes Surtain had good year but that doesn't mean it's a done deal and he is a shutdown corner for the next 8 years. Also just bc we draft Gardner does mean he will be one either ...now they both could...but I don't know a team with 2 true shutdown CBS.

                  Whats with people thinking they know what Paton will do and who he likes. So to say paton/Hackett does lole any of these qbs is crazy. I know the common theme around here iss that this is a weak qb draft...but it just take on qb for them to fall in love with.

                  Then Wentz, so you want a qb that has failed with 2 teams even with the coach that helped him win the superbowl? Or Mariota who has not started a game in like 3 years to be our starting qb?

                  I guess!
                  i respectfully disagree. with his athletic profile combine with his length and year 1. dude is a Legit CB in this league nd still has room to grow. if you ask me he has elite a guy you will be seeing making all pro teams. guys with his profile and tape on't come around alot
                  sigpic
                  oakland raders gm
                  latavis murray trade bait

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by armedequation View Post
                    Well we just claimed essang bassey off waivers. Darby was okay last year. I wouldnt have any issue drafting multiple cb.

                    gardner
                    Tariq woolen (cb/s hybrid)
                    marcus jones
                    Don’t forget Sauce’s backfield mate, Coby Bryant who won an award last year as the nations top corner. Why? Because nobody would throw at Sauce
                    Hate List for 2016-2017 Season: 1. Oakland, 2. New England, 3. Kansas City, 4. Pittsburgh and 5. Houston (yes, Houston....)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

                      i respectfully disagree. with his athletic profile combine with his length and year 1. dude is a Legit CB in this league nd still has room to grow. if you ask me he has elite a guy you will be seeing making all pro teams. guys with his profile and tape on't come around alot
                      I disagree with you too. Plenty of CBS have come in and had a great year and bottom out. I'm not given him that title year not after one year. don't care about athletic profile. It's about consistency. That's what is the difference between good and great/elite.
                      Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It's the same somewhat recurring argument. Potential and limited pro experience vs elite status. I firmly believe that PS2 can become all pro, but he needs to improve further and show consistently high level performance.

                        With few exceptions, team direction/Identities/schemes change every few years, and the vast majority of players don't stay on the same squad throughout their careers.

                        To develop a team into perennial playoff contenders requires luck and solid foundations. If only for this reason I favour BPA, but one with sufficient versatility to fit multiple schemes. If that is sauce then I'm fine with that.

                        If we want a shot at the title in the next 1-2 years then building foundations is not going to work in the short term.

                        Rather we have a five year plan... Be competitive in year one, . challenge playoffs in year 2, expect divisional titles thereafter... and build through the draft.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by smilin'assassin View Post
                          I am very well aware that we picked Pat Surtain in the 1st round last year, and I love that we did, but I’m proposing picking Sauce Gardner at #9 this year as well. Indulge me: Rogers and Wilson stay put. None of the draftable QB’s excite Paton at #9. And let’s say the Colts release Wentz to get out of his 28M contract for next year (or even if we sign Mariota) and pair him with Lock for a year. One of them shows some growth with our new playcallers/offense.
                          Regardless, you save the 45M and all the players and picks you’d be giving up for Rental Rodgers for 2 years. Put that cash towards front 7 players such as chandler jones, Von, or Landry, and some DL/OL. Here’s where the Gardner pick comes in – at #9 there’s a decent chance that the BPA may be Sauce. I’d be thrilled if it was. Pair Surtain with Sauce and we are set the way Hanford Dixon and Frank Minnifield used to lock down opposing receivers. I realize they are both similar corners in that they are longer and potential criticism is shifty receivers may give them trouble once in a blue moon, but they are both special. Having 2 stud corners and moving Darby to nickel, cut Fuller, and have OJmudia and a re-signed Callahan as part of your your stunning cornerback collection. We have a couple of decent qbs we face in our division. so it may be a good thing to have incredible db's.
                          The passrush will be improved since we have money to spend in free agency thanks to a cheap QB situation and will be THE focus of FA. We’ll get plenty of turnovers with pressure and incredible DB play (Simmons/Sterns also!),The QB situation is almost certainly improved, and most likely improved significantly (but granted not with a hall of famer). And we still have all the rest of our picks we didn’t trade on a qb. I know as well as anyone else that we are all sick of not having a top tier qb, especially in our division, but this way we may have a slightly weaker qb situation but as a team as a whole, we might be the strongest in the afc west. Football is the ultimate TEAM game. And besides, Hackett should be able to up our points/game with a good, not great qb so potentially Lock, Wentz, or Mariota just might do the trick. Ponder amongst yourselves.
                          You in contact with Paton? Nobody knows if he's excited about the draft QB prospects. I get the idea of building a knock you out defense, that's what won us superbowl 50. However, just like the argument people want to use against QB, what if your Sauce busts? Wasted draft pick? We can still sign a bunch of free agents to plug holes.

                          Let's say we pass on any trade for a QB, we pass on drafting a QB and Paton and Pckett decide to ride with Lock 🤮. He has a mediocre year and we go 7-9 to 9-7 (expecting anything more, you are fooling yourself) and we miss the playoffs or we squeeze in and are bounced out 1st round. We are now out of reach for the drafts best QB prospect.

                          So, where are we? Right back here again, having the same old argument again and again and again . Lock is not the guy, he's just another Ryan Fitzpatrick or Tyrod Taylor. We can not win in our conference, let alone division with that. We are in a position to land the drafts best QB now. Take the chance!! Maybe Pickett or Willis or Howell or Corral turn out to be spectacular!!

                          We passed on Allen and everyone was saying he wasn't ready or he was a project and didn't want to "waste" a top 5 pick on a "project". Pretty sure we'd be a little better off now with that chance taken. But...but...but our coaching staff would have ruined him!!! Blah blah blah....the kid is talented and talent overcomes. This draft has talent, whichever QB establishes himself as the best....GO GET HIM!!! TAKE THE CHANCE!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

                            This draft has talent, whichever QB establishes himself as the best....GO GET HIM!!! TAKE THE CHANCE!!!
                            This is the worst draft class since 2013. Sometimes it is just a bad year to draft QBs. Only one QB was taken in the first round in 2013(EJ Manuel) by the Bills with the 16th pick.

                            And no, teams didn't just miss on talent. There was none. Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon...

                            Some years it's just a very underwhelming class and you stay away from QBs. The Broncos can get a great/impact player at #9. It just isn't going to be a QB.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by PackerNation View Post

                              This is the worst draft class since 2013. Sometimes it is just a bad year to draft QBs. Only one QB was taken in the first round in 2013(EJ Manuel) by the Bills with the 16th pick.

                              And no, teams didn't just miss on talent. There was none. Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon...

                              Some years it's just a very underwhelming class and you stay away from QBs. The Broncos can get a great/impact player at #9. It just isn't going to be a QB.
                              You’re not going to find many people that agree with you. None of the QBs are blue chippers, but teams get desperate and draft them in the first. That’s why a couple of them are mocked in The first round. Pickett is the only one I like cause he is pro-ready and fits right into the WCO Hackett will be running, but Josh Rosen was considered pro-ready as well and we all saw how that turned out. There’s nothing special QB wise coming out of this draft or the next.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X