Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• listopencil
    replied
    Well, the Broncos just signed FB/TE Andrew Beck to a one year deal. So we do have a FB:

https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/b...5ElVvJNbOthXOE

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoBreeder View Post

I remember having a discussion with you a few weeks back about short QBs in the WC offense and boots. Looks like we were somewhat prophetic.

Yup. So it would seem.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoBreeder
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Right. Except for receivers coach Zach Azzanni, DBs coach Christian Parker, Defense/Special Projects consultant Bill Kollar and the Strength and Conditioning Coaches, it's a new staff. They will take a close look at the forty-eight guys currently under contract as well as the sixteen UFAs, seven RFAs and the three ERFAs left from last year. Wonder how many guys will be re-signed/tendered?

Quinn Meinerz and Netane Muti have no problems moving as they are accomplished pullers. Have thought for a while that it is easier to teach an angle blocker zone steps rather than the other way around. We'll see how they do.

Calvin Anderson was praised by Mike Munchak as well as teammates. He is quality depth as a Swing Tackle in the event he makes the team.

Bobby Massie could be re-signed, but keep an eye on Dennis Kelly who did well in four starts for Green Bay at the end of last year.

IMO D-Line needs to be addressed. It could be via developing guys like Agim and Spencer or free agency or the draft or all of the above.
    I remember having a discussion with you a few weeks back about short QBs in the WC offense and boots. Looks like we were somewhat prophetic.

Not all QBs over 6 feet can run a west coast offense but most QBs under 6 feet cannot without some kind of modification.

WCO is the only one in which Russell Wilson has played and he's 104-53-1 in 158 NFL starts in the regular season plus 9-7 in the playoffs. Is he an exception to your rule?

Pete Carroll had to implement some roll outs and boots but outside of that....Russell would be one of the exceptions.

Drew Brees is right at 6 feet and flourished without the boots.

Leave a comment:

• Broncos1963
    replied

Right. Except for receivers coach Zach Azzanni, DBs coach Christian Parker, Defense/Special Projects consultant Bill Kollar and the Strength and Conditioning Coaches, it's a new staff. They will take a close look at the forty-eight guys currently under contract as well as the sixteen UFAs, seven RFAs and the three RFAs left from last year. Wonder how many guys will be re-signed/tendered?

Quinn Meinerz and Netane Muti have no problems moving as they are accomplished pullers. Have thought for a while that it is easier to teach an angle blocker zone steps rather than the other way around. We'll see how they do.

Calvin Anderson was praised by Mike Munchak as well as teammates. He is quality depth as a Swing Tackle in the event he makes the team.

Bobby Massie could be re-signed, but keep an eye on Dennis Kelly who did well in four starts for Green Bay at the end of last year.

IMO D-Line needs to be addressed. It could be via developing guys like Agim and Spencer or free agency or the draft or all of the above.
    It's going to be fun for me, as a normal and non-technical fan. I imagine for folks like you, it will be even more interesting as you watch the players who come or go, as that must inform a host of technical strategies and how the pieces fit together as a whole as opposed to individual components.

For both groups of fans, it sure seems we're all stoked about the coming year. It's actually fun to see some generalized momentum in the fanbase.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by Broncos1963 View Post

I am wholly unqualified to guess at the draft. But, your existing player thoughts brought to mind that all our existing players are now being evaluating by an almost entirely new set of coaches for the first time in several years. Combined with Paton's opinions from last season, I'm really excited to see how it shakes out with new schemes.

I think the very best players, intellectually and athletically, can excel in any scheme (many of the skill players). I am most interested in the trenches. How will Bolles, Risner, Cush grade out? Like has been discussed, can Muti and Meinerz adapt to more movement? Will "the belly" have to drop some pounds to fit? Can Anderson, so heavily praised by Fangio take someone's job? Based on Paton's statements, I think he's focused on RT but I would love for Massie to stay as well. Without Vic's arrogant stiffness, will some of the existing defensive lineman take a new, major role this year or is that the biggest weakness? Gonna be fun.
    Right. Except for receivers coach Zach Azzanni, DBs coach Christian Parker, Defense/Special Projects consultant Bill Kollar and the Strength and Conditioning Coaches, it's a new staff. They will take a close look at the forty-eight guys currently under contract as well as the sixteen UFAs, seven RFAs and the three ERFAs left from last year. Wonder how many guys will be re-signed/tendered?

Last edited by samparnell; 03-12-2022, 11:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Broncos1963
    replied
    Originally posted by OraleBroncos View Post
    Hello Football Peeps,
    So now that we have our QB, I thought I would take a stab at one of many to come mock drafts. Here are a list of FA that I would sign.
    • DJ Jones - NT - upgrade over Purcell
    • Foley Futukasi - DT - a younger replacement for Harris
    • Emmanuel Ogbah - EDGE
    • Darious Williams - CB - an Ejero connection helps provide depth
    This list does not take into account any Broncos FA that we may keep. Of those here is the list I hope they keep
    • Bobbie Massie - RT - Good depth piece.
    • Eric Saubert - TE - Solid player that could provide depth
    • Kenny Young - LB - Sorry, I think Young is a better LB than Jewell. I would love to keep Jewell as well, but of the 3 LB I would go with Young. Also an Ejero connection.
    So with that done...the draft is focused on providing depth and future starters. I used the PFN draft simulator.
    • 64 - Travis Jones - DT - Our run defense was atrocious. Futukasi and Jones, Jones, and Jones is definitely and upgrade.
    • 75 - Abraham Lucas - RT - Possible starting RT, if not, then a backup behind Massie until he is ready.
    • 96 - Damone Clark - LB - Young, Browning, Clark, and Griffith give us a good young core of LB
    • 114 - Nicholas Petit-Frere - LT - Put the "little brother' behind Bolles and let him develop.
    • 115 - Mario Goodrich - CB - A good depth piece to our secondary.
    • 145 - Deangelo Malone - EDGE - Chubb, Ogbah, Cooper, Reed and Malone is a good rotation that will not let tackles take a break.
    • 193 - Nick Cross - S - Another depth piece to place or compete with Jamar.
    • 232 - Dylan Parham - G - depth at the guard position.
    • 248 - Luke Fortner - C - depth at the center position.
    Well, there you go. This will probably not be the last mock as we haven't even started FA yet. But, the trade for Wilson does have me looking forward to what this team can do!
    I am wholly unqualified to guess at the draft. But, your existing player thoughts brought to mind that all our existing players are now being evaluating by an almost entirely new set of coaches for the first time in several years. Combined with Paton's opinions from last season, I'm really excited to see how it shakes out with new schemes.

I think the very best players, intellectually and athletically, can excel in any scheme (many of the skill players). I am most interested in the trenches. How will Bolles, Risner, Cush grade out? Like has been discussed, can Muti and Meinerz adapt to more movement? Will "the belly" have to drop some pounds to fit? Can Anderson, so heavily praised by Fangio take someone's job? Based on Paton's statements, I think he's focused on RT but I would love for Massie to stay as well. Without Vic's arrogant stiffness, will some of the existing defensive lineman take a new, major role this year or is that the biggest weakness? Gonna be fun.

Leave a comment:

• BiscuitBronco
    replied
    For sure we need to improve the O-line. One thing I observed with Wilson is his propensity to take deep (5+ steps) drops, so maybe we need more fleet footed, agile lineman just to slow up the rush and be a nusiance.
    Last edited by BiscuitBronco; 03-12-2022, 07:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AZBobalu
    replied
    I would think edge and a ROT should be high on the list. There's some other holes but a pas rusher and protecting your new QB should be way up there.

Leave a comment:

• listopencil
    replied
    Originally posted by OraleBroncos View Post
    114 - Nicholas Petit-Frere - LT - Put the "little brother' behind Bolles and let him develop.
    I like this guy but he may not even be available at #64. I hope he is, and if he is I hope we take him.

Leave a comment:

• Spice 1
    replied
    Great draft. I'm high on every player except Lucas only because I don't know if he's an ideal outside zone tackle. I think he'll be on the board when we pick at 64 though, so who knows. Parham is a great fit, and he's kind of hit and miss when it comes to pass blocking. People seem to think he's limited to guard, and specifically right guard. He might slip if that's the case. I think PFN is a little behind on their rankings. I don't expect NPF or Malone to be there. I think somebody's going to fall in love with Malone, and he'll wind up going in the 3rd round. Fortner and Cross might fall, you never know. Malone and Goodrich are probably in my top ten for players I'd like to see us get in the draft this year. We might be able to get a top free agent beyond Von with Wilson on board now, and that could dramatically change the draft strategy.

You should post more often if you have the time. Like hearing what other Broncos fans think about the offseason.

Leave a comment:

• OraleBroncos
    started a topic What to do now that we have a QB draft

What to do now that we have a QB draft

Hello Football Peeps,
    So now that we have our QB, I thought I would take a stab at one of many to come mock drafts. Here are a list of FA that I would sign.
    • DJ Jones - NT - upgrade over Purcell
    • Foley Futukasi - DT - a younger replacement for Harris
    • Emmanuel Ogbah - EDGE
    • Darious Williams - CB - an Ejero connection helps provide depth
    This list does not take into account any Broncos FA that we may keep. Of those here is the list I hope they keep
    • Bobbie Massie - RT - Good depth piece.
    • Eric Saubert - TE - Solid player that could provide depth
    • Kenny Young - LB - Sorry, I think Young is a better LB than Jewell. I would love to keep Jewell as well, but of the 3 LB I would go with Young. Also an Ejero connection.
    So with that done...the draft is focused on providing depth and future starters. I used the PFN draft simulator.
    • 64 - Travis Jones - DT - Our run defense was atrocious. Futukasi and Jones, Jones, and Jones is definitely and upgrade.
    • 75 - Abraham Lucas - RT - Possible starting RT, if not, then a backup behind Massie until he is ready.
    • 96 - Damone Clark - LB - Young, Browning, Clark, and Griffith give us a good young core of LB
    • 114 - Nicholas Petit-Frere - LT - Put the "little brother' behind Bolles and let him develop.
    • 115 - Mario Goodrich - CB - A good depth piece to our secondary.
    • 145 - Deangelo Malone - EDGE - Chubb, Ogbah, Cooper, Reed and Malone is a good rotation that will not let tackles take a break.
    • 193 - Nick Cross - S - Another depth piece to place or compete with Jamar.
    • 232 - Dylan Parham - G - depth at the guard position.
    • 248 - Luke Fortner - C - depth at the center position.
    Well, there you go. This will probably not be the last mock as we haven't even started FA yet. But, the trade for Wilson does have me looking forward to what this team can do!
Working...
X