Mlb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mlb

One of the biggest holes, or weaknesses, of our team heading into 2022 was/is MLB. The fact that we only signed one FA that wasn't on the roster last year is puzzling. Combine that with the fact that we didn't draft any MLB in any round and I'm completely blown away. We don't have a single LB that can be remotely effective in coverage with Kelce and Waller in division and that could be disastrous. I have liked what Patton has done as GM so far. But not getting a MLB at any point this offseason is troubling to say the least. Hopefully my worries are unfounded, but I don't think they are. Go Broncos!

Originally posted by Iron928 View Post
    One of the biggest holes, or weaknesses, of our team heading into 2022 was/is MLB. The fact that we only signed one FA that wasn't on the roster last year is puzzling. Combine that with the fact that we didn't draft any MLB in any round and I'm completely blown away. We don't have a single LB that can be remotely effective in coverage with Kelce and Waller in division and that could be disastrous. I have liked what Patton has done as GM so far. But not getting a MLB at any point this offseason is troubling to say the least. Hopefully my worries are unfounded, but I don't think they are. Go Broncos!
    ? ... Maybe you mean only one ILB/MLB FA that wasn't on the roster last season, Alex Singleton? Otherwise we signed 9 FA's that were not on the roster last season.

Singleton has some potential and is a ST's player - 710 ST's snaps. Only has 18 starts in the last 2 seasons and only played on ST's in his first season.
    The Broncos do have Safeties that can/will cover TE's, they are probably the better option for Kelce and Waller over a ILB anyway. Baron Browning, I believe will play mostly at ILB this season but I could be wrong, he has the "tools" to be a good cover LB. It seems they are high on Jonas Griffith but that probably still needs to be determined?
    I imagine that the Broncos defense will use only one ILB formations as much as 30% of plays, just my speculation though I could be way off but the need for ILB's in today's NFL is just not the great.
    All that being said, I also think they should give the position more attention but they have put out good defense despite addressing the ILB position.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post

? ... Maybe you mean only one ILB/MLB FA that wasn't on the roster last season, Alex Singleton? Otherwise we signed 9 FA's that were not on the roster last season.

Singleton has some potential and is a ST's player - 710 ST's snaps. Only has 18 starts in the last 2 seasons and only played on ST's in his first season.
      The Broncos do have Safeties that can/will cover TE's, they are probably the better option for Kelce and Waller over a ILB anyway. Baron Browning, I believe will play mostly at ILB this season but I could be wrong, he has the "tools" to be a good cover LB. It seems they are high on Jonas Griffith but that probably still needs to be determined?
      I imagine that the Broncos defense will use only one ILB formations as much as 30% of plays, just my speculation though I could be way off but the need for ILB's in today's NFL is just not the great.
      All that being said, I also think they should give the position more attention but they have put out good defense despite addressing the ILB position.
      When Denver departed from the base odd front last year and put in an extra DB, they usually pulled the 0 tech and presented a split front look keeping both Inside Backers. Have heard that the Rams would add an extra DB by pulling one of the ILBs from the base odd front. We may see that added this season, and it may have a bearing on ILB depth.

Christopher Allen has been added to the OLB group of Chubb, Gregory, Bonitto, Reed, Cooper, et al. The current depth at OLB exceeds that at ILB in quality. Baron Browning had the most snaps at Inside Backer last year and he benefited from Josey Jewell (re-signed) working with him.

Based on statements from the coaching staff, it seems Browning may appear as an outside/edge rusher from time-to-time. If Denver ends up with Chubb, Gregory, Bonitto, Reed, Cooper and Allen at OLB, it is difficult to imagine Browning seeing the field much at that position. The relative lack of depth inside would seem to put him there. If Denver shows a 5-1 front, Browning's coverage ability would seem to put him at the 1 in a 5-1-5 look.

Jonas Griffith looked good at Inside Backer last year. Alex Singleton is on a one-year contract and, as you say, may have been signed mostly for STs. Some say that Kana'i Mauga is a promising Inside Backer prospect signed as an UDFA. Justin Strnad is still on the roster and has good cover skills, but whose run defense needs improvement.

Which defender(s) cover a TE running a route depends on whether he lines up at Y, Wing or H, and what the coverage is (i.e., man, zone, combo) Cover 1/0 counts in from the outside, so if there are eligible receivers outside Y, a Backer can end up on a TE. Another coverage which can put a Backer on a TE is Tampa 2 which is Combo. Inside Backer pass coverage would either be man or short zone.

George Paton did a great job finding Backers to take the place of Jewell and Johnson (who could reappear) last year. Apparently George knows how to recognize talent at the position because three of those Backers from last year have been signed by other teams (Robinson/Niners, Young and Kiser/Raiders) Before hitting the panic button, I'd like to see what the new coaching staff does with the players they have.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I agree with almost all of both your points, except Strnad, that dude is a liability in my opinion. If we do have the formations mentioned above the ILB isn't nearly as worrying to me. I'm big on Browning and think he has potential to be a great player. Still evaluating kana'i Mauga. My comment excluded the OLB position where I think we improved big time. Thank you for both of your views on the position, the idea of playing with only one ILB does lessen my concern.

Comment

I doubt a middle linebacker is who you want covering Kelce or Waller, unless it's double coverage in combination with a safety or zone coverage.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
            I doubt a middle linebacker is who you want covering Kelce or Waller, unless it's double coverage in combination with a safety or zone coverage.
            Inside Backers could cover a TE in their short zone. In Cover 1/0, it would be less likely for an ILB to get a TE because they count in from the outside. If the formation was a Trips/Trey look with two off receivers outside Y, an Inside Backer could end up on the Y depending on the alignment. Al Wilson used to cover TE as seam receiver in Tampa 2/Deep Halves which is a Combo.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

When Denver departed from the base odd front last year and put in an extra DB, they usually pulled the 0 tech and presented a split front look keeping both Inside Backers. Have heard that the Rams would add an extra DB by pulling one of the ILBs from the base odd front. We may see that added this season, and it may have a bearing on ILB depth.

Christopher Allen has been added to the OLB group of Chubb, Gregory, Bonitto, Reed, Cooper, et al. The current depth at OLB exceeds that at ILB in quality. Baron Browning had the most snaps at Inside Backer last year and he benefited from Josey Jewell (re-signed) working with him.

Based on statements from the coaching staff, it seems Browning may appear as an outside/edge rusher from time-to-time. If Denver ends up with Chubb, Gregory, Bonitto, Reed, Cooper and Allen at OLB, it is difficult to imagine Browning seeing the field much at that position. The relative lack of depth inside would seem to put him there. If Denver shows a 5-1 front, Browning's coverage ability would seem to put him at the 1 in a 5-1-5 look.

Jonas Griffith looked good at Inside Backer last year. Alex Singleton is on a one-year contract and, as you say, may have been signed mostly for STs. Some say that Kana'i Mauga is a promising Inside Backer prospect signed as an UDFA. Justin Strnad is still on the roster and has good cover skills, but whose run defense needs improvement.

Which defender(s) cover a TE running a route depends on whether he lines up at Y, Wing or H, and what the coverage is (i.e., man, zone, combo) Cover 1/0 counts in from the outside, so if there are eligible receivers outside Y, a Backer can end up on a TE. Another coverage which can put a Backer on a TE is Tampa 2 which is Combo. Inside Backer pass coverage would either be man or short zone.

George Paton did a great job finding Backers to take the place of Jewell and Johnson (who could reappear) last year. Apparently George knows how to recognize talent at the position because three of those Backers from last year have been signed by other teams (Robinson/Niners, Young and Kiser/Raiders) Before hitting the panic button, I'd like to see what the new coaching staff does with the players they have.
              They did both but kept a 5-1 look based on the playoff games I've re-watched. Either way, they didn't have two ILBs on the field very often. Sometimes they came out with 34 personnel, but it wasn't common. Whoever the ILB was, he was always in zone as far as I can tell.
              Last edited by Spice 1; 05-19-2022, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Am looking forward to seeing what the new coaching staff does with what Paton has provided them.

Comment

Working...
                X